Official One Piece Anime & Manga Discussion Thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

[spoiler=883]Well, Dogtooth is one of Big Mom's kids, after all. Even badasses need to take a break every once in awhile, it was really endearing. This really is a mirror match, he's more like Luffy than we thought. Though what I'm really surprised by is there's something that Luffy hates eating.

And Luffy's found a weakness. It seems to have something to do with his haki, he couldn't focus on his observation haki to dodge or something? It might be he's just really flustered and losing his cool.

[spoiler=883]

Dogtooth's mouth got a laugh out of me, I knew there'd be something to it.

Yeah, I'm guessing there's some sort of window in Dogtooth's Haki that Luffy will look to exploit. Funny and good chapter this week.

I think the arc will be properly concluded somewhere in the 890s and the end/900 will transition to the next arc and probably show the Reverie with the world leaders.

[spoiler=Chapter 883]

Doesn't the remark on Luffy losing weight so fast kind of confirms that his devil fruit ability may have something to do with it? Similar to Alvida's that keeps her slim because her ability "slides off" the fat.

And I mean, while the rubber body of Luffy lets him eat humongous quantities of food, maybe it also gives him slimming properties too... somehow, I would like to know the mechanics behind that.

It was funny to see Dogtooth letting his guard down on this "perfection" appearance. Still, I would have preferred he was as cool and perfect as everyone thought.

[spoiler=Chapter 883]

Doesn't the remark on Luffy losing weight so fast kind of confirms that his devil fruit ability may have something to do with it? Similar to Alvida's that keeps her slim because her ability "slides off" the fat.

And I mean, while the rubber body of Luffy lets him eat humongous quantities of food, maybe it also gives him slimming properties too... somehow, I would like to know the mechanics behind that.

I figured it was just a Rule of Funny thing, Luffy doing stuff like that has been a running joke. This is One Piece, after all, sometimes things are just a little bit nonsensical for little to no reason.

I figured it was just a Rule of Funny thing, Luffy doing stuff like that has been a running joke. This is One Piece, after all, sometimes things are just a little bit nonsensical for little to no reason.

Yeah, I assumed that too, but after that remark from the chefs, it got me wondering now. And if they can make Alvida lose her fat with her ability, surely they can justify this quirk of Luffy too.

[spoiler=Chapter 883]

It was funny to see Dogtooth letting his guard down on this "perfection" appearance. Still, I would have preferred he was as cool and perfect as everyone thought.

Dude wait, theory time.

While I also initially thought of it as Rule of Funny, what if Luffy's Devil Fruit Awakening is something to do with regeneration or advanced healing?

After a quick Google search, it looks like German scientists are working on self-healing rubber. And I looked up vulcanization, this is an explanation from Wikipedia.

Vulcanization or vulcanisation is a chemical process for converting natural rubber or related polymers into more durable materials by the addition of sulfur[1] or other equivalent curatives or accelerators. These additives modify the polymer by forming cross-links (bridges) between individual polymer chains.[2][3] Vulcanized materials are less sticky and have superior mechanical properties. The term vulcanized fiber refers to cellulose that has been treated in a zinc chloridesolution to cross-link the cellulose fibers.

That could also play into how devil fruit awakening interacts with the environment, he'd maybe be able to absorb sulfur or other elements. If Luffy's in the right area or has access to whatever elements he needs, he could adapt different fighting forms and/or heal himself.

I know I'm stretching a bit here, but I think that'd be an interesting angle to approach Luffy getting Awakening. It'd be like his answer to Naruto's Sage Mode.

Yeah, I assumed that too, but after that remark from the chefs, it got me wondering now. And if they can make Alvida lose her fat with her ability, surely they can justify this quirk of Luffy too.

Thats been a recurring theme in One Piece. The main cast is made of absurd people, see Luffy and Brook healing from drinking milk a while back.

Anyway, been gone to long. The climx of this arc has been something else. Big Mom's backstory was great (thats how long I've been away), them getting out of the wedding was the culmination of like 5 years of build up, Pudding is amazing, and Katakuri is an awesome character. Jinbe continues to be a standout character too, and helmsmen skills makes him like the rest of the crew as a person who is a master in their field. Pedro's sacrifice (I'm pretty damn certain he is actually dead) was something they've hinted at for a while and seeing it was cool. Candyman has also been an fun evil character.

For the most recent chapter

[spoiler=883]

I love how Oda makes all of his characters weird in some form or another. Honestly, the payoff of Brulee's bit about him being reused when we see what he's like in his down time was great. Also enjoyed him being like "I haven't underestimated you" and then he proceeds to underestimate him by not making sure he finished the job. Gotta have tea time I suppose. Also cracked up at Luffy's "why the hell do I need to eat things to fight these people" line. Curious what weakness Luffy found.

I've missed you old friend, good to have you back.

And now I wait to see how long until I fall behind again.

[spoiler=884]

And Luffy's found a weakness. It seems to have something to do with his haki, he couldn't focus on his observation haki to dodge or something? It might be he's just really flustered and losing his cool.

Cool, I called it. It's actually a pretty simple solution to how Dogtooth's body was phasing around even the armament haki attacks even though he's not even a Logia type that's able to phase around stuff normally in the first place.

I have a bad feeling that Pound might mess something up. It's cool how Praline distracted all the sea slugs, though. I also really like her character design.

[spoiler:Chapter 884]

Things got exciting with Luffy & Dogtooth fight, so freaking cool. I'm feeling the key to defeat Dogtooth will be to turn into "full" 4th gear by eating mochi. The comments on Cracker and Luffy having to eat to deal with the Charlottes makes me think of this.

I loved to see more of Praline. She became my favorite Charlotte family member after Pudding's reveal, after all. Meanwhile, Pudding keeps falling for Sanji xD

Luffy's out to his fight with Katakuri is a simple but clever one. Curious how Luffy hopes to maintain it though since Katakuri is a super stone faced character.

As for the other Pound's involvement in the upcoming events should be really interesting and doubtlessly complicate matters. Pudding continues to be a super fun character.

It was pretty obvious what happened to the sea slugs when it was brought up a couple chapters ago, but getting to see it was cool. Luffy only continues to gain allies. I do love the Big Mom's Pirates reaction as things around them continue to fall apart. Katakuri really is their last hope.

It was pretty obvious what happened to the sea slugs when it was brought up a couple chapters ago, but getting to see it was cool. Luffy only continues to gain allies. I do love the Big Mom's Pirates reaction as things around them continue to fall apart. Katakuri really is their last hope.

Was it really that obvious? Because I had no clue D:

Luffy's out to his fight with Katakuri is a simple but clever one. Curious how Luffy hopes to maintain it though since Katakuri is a super stone faced character.

And what is such out? I cannot figure it out!

Damn, I feel so dumb.

Was it really that obvious? Because I had no clue D:

And what is such out? I cannot figure it out!

Damn, I feel so dumb.

We knew Jinbe's crew we escaping before all the chaos started so it was the most logical jump to think they'd be involved with it. Though maybe I'm only saying it because it is really obvious in hindsight.

Katakuri's greatest strength is his observation haki. As said in the chapter Katakuri needs to remain calm and focused to properly use. When he got flustered from Luffy seeing him eating his concentration broke and his foresight was down giving Luffy the chance to get some hits in. For Luffy to win he'll need ways to break Katakuri's focus.

Katakuri's greatest strength is his observation haki. As said in the chapter Katakuri needs to remain calm and focused to properly use. When he got flustered from Luffy seeing him eating his concentration broke and his foresight was down giving Luffy the chance to get some hits in. For Luffy to win he'll need ways to break Katakuri's focus.

Oh right. I thought there was something else I was missing. But yes, it's just as you say, it sounds like a simple solution, but Katakuri is such a stern guy, and surely he will be harder to distract after his slip.

[spoiler=885]Fuckin' Brulee, by this point her getting kidnapped and used like a Portal Gun has become a running joke and it continues to be funny.

So was Amande trying to cut Luffy through the candy wall? Not exactly sure why she cut it.

Break next week. :(

[spoiler=Chapter 885]

I too found Amanda's slicing a little bit suspicious, as if she was helping Luffy...

Jumping into conclusions here, but perhaps she too is tired from Big Mom? But it makes less sense considering she actually isn't a family member.

We already knew Reverie was coming before Wano, but yeah it seems like it'll be longer than we thought if Wano is that far off. Which I'm all for, I love the potential of political intrigue, and the sort of interactions we might see between characters like Vivi, Neptune, Riku, and Wapol would be awesome.

Also, Elizabello II might get to punch something again.

EDIT: I keep forgetting just how damn big Dogtooth is. Luffy's only 174cm tall while Dogtooth is 509cm, Luffy only comes up to about his knee.

UUkWfc6.png

• 2 weeks later...

[spoiler=Chapter 886]

Sanji doing that quick stuff to Oven without anyone seeing him (except Pudding, lol at that nosebleed) was awesome, and it was funny how Oven immediately called bullshit on Pound knowing he wasn't the one who hit him. Though with Chiffon not recognizing her own dad, Big Mom must kick out her husbands pretty quickly.

That was a hell of a shot that Bege made, btw, I wonder if he has Observation Haki. It's also nice to see him care for Chiffon, glad he didn't just marry into Big Mom's family for power and he does love her.

And the full moon thing that got hinted at in Zou is finally coming to a head, Oda with the foreshadowing once again.

vPvWEKH.png

I love the panel with Carrot, too. The shading, her matter-of-fact facial expression, the way she's holding her hat like in anticipation. It'll be cool to see her kick some ass, I've always really liked her character.

EDIT: Actually, I'm really wondering if she might be involved in the Dogtooth fight in some way. There is the whole "rabbit on the moon making mochi" folklore.

Archived