Official One Piece Anime & Manga Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[spoiler=863]

Man, this arc has been outstanding.

Luffy's nonsense plan ending up being incredibly effective. Not only did it provide a ton of chaos and well as having a bunch of animal for the Big Mom people to deal with, it also let Brook slip into position completely unnoticed.

Jinbe was great this chapter. Covers for their plan since it is believable he'd know about the Mother Caramel photo and he got to have a proper exist from the crew. His line to Big Mom makes me curious how the other crew members would fair since I can think of a couple that would cower in front of a Yonkou. Brook isn't one of them though. Really, just adds some badass points to him when you think about it. The panel composition on the final two page spread with Jinbe and the cup of sake at mom's feet was amazing.

We got to learn what Dogtooth's devil fruit and it is another one of Oda's weird powers. Feel like we've seen something like this before. Maybe my mind is comparing it to Mr. 3's power since they are decently similar, but I feel like we might have seen something closer still. Also, I was confused by the "quit analyzing me line until I saw someone point out its likely him responding to Jinbe's exposition about his power on the next page. Thats a really cool bit.

On the note of exposition, the little bit we got about Big Mom's "Life or X" ability worked well. He being triggered into that state from works as does the reporter dude going on about how the power exactly works since that seems well in line with what that type of character would do. I think I would have preferred the payoff not be like 10 pages later, but this was the best time to work it in and it worked. Also liked how Big Mom seemed to have accepted Jinbe living the way he is.

Brook has been the MVP of this arc so much. Like, this is still Sanji's arc and all, but man has Brook just been outstanding. At the start of this week's chapter we see how the SH's have ranked in the various popularity pools and Brook was last all the way down at 19. I get why too. I've said it before, he was added to the crew right before they split up and missed a good chunk of Dressrosa. But man, Oda's been making up for his absence big time. Also, speaking of the ranking page, why is Nami blond in it?

Also, these chapters have shown a naming trend now.

Consummate Actor

Consummate Thinker

Consummate Gentleman

Also also, that "One Piece All Characters" page is outstanding.

[spoiler=OH MY funking GOD]Holy sheet this chapter was soooooo gooood. When I saw it come up in my feed my heart was beating out of my chest I was so excited.

So Dogtooth's a mochi logia, that's hilariously awesome.

And Big Mom's soul taking power only works on those afraid of her? That's a really interesting weakness, and we got to see Jinbe be totally awesome in showing it off.

But my god I lost my sheet at the last two panels of the chapter, all it took was two panels to make this one of my favorite chapters. I can't believe Brook was disguised as one of the Luffy's in order to break the picture, that was so funking funny. It was the perfect backup plan, since they were meant to not pay the clones any mind after the initial burst of chaos. Brook continues to be MVP of this arc, this time with the sick backdoor play.

The BEST part is you totally see him in there too. Just look closely in the panel where the cake is falling over.

"peek"

That was really damn awesome. I love how Oda makes sure that his long arcs don't feel dragged out.

I wouldn't even say this is all THAT long an arc. Its only been about 40 chapters depending on where you count the Zou arc as ending. Oda's constant breaks make it seem a lot loner.

Gotta love Bege going through what pretty much every other pirate that's worked with Luffy before has to go through at least once.

EW4KsrBl.jpg

I loved the set up for it too. Its like, "Gee, I wonder why Bege is saying that oddly specific thing? I wonder, will Luffy announce himself on the next page".

I really am hoping that Jinbe is able to finally join the crew after this, not only is he a cool character but he would add a lot to the team. He'd be the most straight straight man to everyone else, since Nami and even Robin are only sometimes that role. And in fights we'd finally have some water coverage, because aside from Brook being able to temporarily run on water and Franky/Sanji having their own respective Skywalks to go over it, it's sort of a big weakness for the team even not counting the DF users. And we can always get a crazier looking crew, add the Fishman to the reindeer, skeleton, and cyborg.

And we can always get a crazier looking crew, add the Fishman to the reindeer, skeleton, and cyborg.

This is another big reason why I've wanted Jinbe for ages. The crew has some crazy characters and adding another non-human character to the mix would be fun and fitting. That's partially why I'd be cool with Carrot joining since she's another girl, fun, has her own unique abilities, and she's another non-human. Though I suppose she's close enough to Chopper.

I think the prospect of Jinbe joining is also a testament to how far Luffy has come. A former Warlord, someone with great power and influence, decided to directly join Luffy and help him become Pirate King. He went from a scrappy kid from some no-name village to a man drawing the admiration of a significant political figure like a Warlord to the extent he wants to join.

I think he should join. My one gripe would be it'd kinda mess with the Monster Trio dynamic we've had for so long, and one reason I'm wondering if Jinbe will actually end up joining or not, but the pros outweigh the cons for me.

[spoiler=Chapter 863]

Yeah, nice chapter; Jinbe being so cool in the middle of battle xD

If there is anything I didn't like, it was Dogtooth being a Logia user, and was a bit disappointed at that. Really, Logias are usually given to strong and threatening characters, and for obvious reasons, but that also makes them feel overused and kinda bland. I get a vibe on the lines of "oh, we have this this strong character here, let's just give it a Logia". Granted, a mochi Logia power is more clever than an element, but... well, it's still a Logia.

On the other hand, I enjoy when there is character on the top ranks who isn't a Logia, because it usually involves a really cool or clever Paramecia or Zoan power and/or skills, or raw skills like Zoro and Sanji, which for me makes it more exciting than just slapping a Logia on the character, so to speak.

I feel like even though he is a Logia, with a power like turning to mochi, we'll probably still get some fairly clever uses out of it. Because even the Logia users can do some pretty cool stuff with it, like how Enel used it to expand his Observation Haki to cover the entirety of Skypiea and give him pseudo-omniscience, or how Crocodile had a pretty expansive repertoire with his DF.

Plus, they already introduced him with such a cool, unique ability. Seeing into the future with Observation Haki must need such an insane mastery of it, I wonder how exactly he trained it to get to that level.

Though I totally get what you mean in the last sentence. One of my favorite DF users is probably Diamante with how neat his techniques were, such as how he used a block of steel as a cape for defence.

I think he should join. My one gripe would be it'd kinda mess with the Monster Trio dynamic we've had for so long, and one reason I'm wondering if Jinbe will actually end up joining or not, but the pros outweigh the cons for me.

I can get that. I know I've seen people also raise the issue of his power level compared to Luffy himself. Personally I think if he were to join Luffy and Zoro would be stronger, and he's be around Sanji in terms of strength. Though we haven't actually gotten to see Sanji have a proper fight in a LONG time so its hard to figure out just how strong he really is post timeskip. Isn't helped that his last to fights were against Vergo and Mingo with Vergo being about as strong as Law and Mingo being Mingo.

As for the Logia thing, I think after the time skip and the lose of one of the biggest advantages they had, being impossible to it, they've been depowered enough that they aren't out of range of the major characters. Big Mom isn't even a Logia so they don't always jump to that to make a character super powerful.

[spoiler=Logia/DFs]

The thing that interests me about Logias is there isn't as many of them. So instead of like, "Ugh, not another Logia" I'm more "Oh hey, it's actually a Logia." But I can see the point about them not being as creative. Like Ace did some cool-ass sheet with his devil fruit, but you didn't really see as many creative techniques from him as you would with, say, Luffy. Luffy's been inventive with throwing around his punches and kicks culminating in a vast array of different techniques, but Ace mostly (emphasis on mostly) just threw a giant wave of fire at his opponent most of the time.

I really like how devil fruits can turn something mundane-sounding into a really deadly asset. Kuma's Paw-Paw fruit remains one of the best examples. Dude only has bear paws on his hands and is able to:

-Create shockwaves or explosions

-Transmit pain/sensations to others

-Repel physical attacks

-Teleport matter
from hand pads.

It's hard to wrap my head around power levels. Part of me thinks the Trio needs to stay in their respective spots, being 1st 2nd and 3rd strongest of the crew respectively. 
but funk I also want Jinbe to join.
Maybe Zoro and Sanji could gain power-ups? After this Sanji development this past arc, I'd be down to see Zoro get some treatment too. We're about to go to Wano, the land of samurai, so that seems like the best time to do it.

It's true that we haven't seen much of Sanji that actually mattered in awhile (Fishman Island was pretty much a stomp for everyone, and FD already brought up Sanji against Vergo/Mingo), but even then I feel like the "Monster Trio" isn't all that relevant anymore. I consider Luffy and Zoro pretty close together (I've brought this up in the past but I believe Zoro is closer to Luffy's power level than ever before, if a bit less so since Gear 4th was introduced), because while we've seen plenty from Luffy already, unless I'm majorly forgetting something Zoro hasn't really had any seriously difficult battles since the timeskip. He one shot Hody when they were underwater, toyed with Monet before he completely wrecked her, and even against Pica it was more just the length of the battle because of the annoyance of the stone and less how strong Pica was in direct combat (and I'm not sure even Luffy could do something as impressive as what Zoro did when he cut the giant Pica statue to pieces), I can't remember if he even took any noticeable injuries when fighting him. I haven't really thought much of Sanji lately, even if it's just due to his circumstances when it comes to fights, and if Jinbe shook up the power levels of the crew (such as taking Sanji or even Zoro's "spot") I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Sanji could maybe use a power-up but I don't feel that way about Zoro at all.

It's true that we haven't seen much of Sanji that actually mattered in awhile (Fishman Island was pretty much a stomp for everyone, and FD already brought up Sanji against Vergo/Mingo), but even then I feel like the "Monster Trio" isn't all that relevant anymore. I consider Luffy and Zoro pretty close together (I've brought this up in the past but I believe Zoro is closer to Luffy's power level than ever before, if a bit less so since Gear 4th was introduced), because while we've seen plenty from Luffy already, Zoro hasn't really had any seriously difficult battles since the timeskip. He one shot Hody when they were underwater, toyed with Monet before he completely wrecked her, and even against Pica it was more just the length of the battle because of the annoyance of the stone and less how strong Pica was in direct combat (and I'm not sure even Luffy could do something as impressive as what Zoro did when he cut the giant Pica statue to pieces). I haven't really thought much of Sanji lately, even if it's just due to his circumstances when it comes to fights, and if Jinbe shook up the power levels of the crew (such as taking Sanji's "spot") I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Sanji could maybe use a power-up but I don't feel that way about Zoro at all.

I'd agree that Zoro should be on par with the other Supernovas. I could see him being on par with Jinbe as well, it would be more about Jinbe being stronger than Sanji that I'd be having issue with. 

I only say that just because it feels a little off that Luffy and Sanji does (if you count Diable Jambe) but he doesn't really. Though I guess you could say that's part of his appeal?

O yea, Zoro has had a shockingly easy time with his recent fights. One of the things I remember seeing brought up a LONG time ago is that when Zoro would fight he would often have some kind of handicap and he hasn't had any during his post-timeskip fights. Though him being this strong makes sense. He is aiming to beat Mihawk and seeing as how Mihawk would go out and look to fight Shanks, one of the strongest characters in the series, Mihawk is likely near Yonko level.

And I can see Zoro getting a fair bit of focus when they finally arrive at Wano. It would make a lot of sense at least. This is furthered by him having Ryuma's sword.

It's worth bringing up how pointless bounties are to compare power levels.

Cracker was more than double Mingo's bounty but I don't think he was that much stronger, if at all.

Also take Boa Hancock, her bounty is/was 79 Million I believe, fairly low, but she's OP as funk.

Basically I don't think Katakuri will be impossible for them to take down.

Cracker's bounty is almost certainly influenced by his being a higher up of Big Mom's group. It's not just telling of his strength as an individual, it's also partially about the danger level of who he's got at his back. Bounties have always been less about power levels and more about danger to the WG (not to say a fair amount aren't mostly if solely based on their power), like Robin's initial bounty of 79 million despite being only a kid, just because she could read Poneglyphs and that the information she could share could endanger the WG.

And Shichibukai bounties are frozen upon them joining up, so they're not always up-to-date. Hancock got her 80 million bounty after a single campaign and then joined the Shichibukai somewhat soon after, so it didn't really get a chance to increase.

Another good example of the bounty thing is Kid's bounty being higher than Luffy's. It isn't that he is stronger, rather the number of civilian casualties he would cause.

Anyway, I was watching some anime episodes. Dear lord the pacing is still terrible. 20%-25% of the episode is just nothing, and another decent percentage is just air. I'd so much rather more filler than 1 chapter per episode.

Well since Luffy's got bumped up to 500 million, Kid is behind by 30 million with only 470 million.

Though "God" Usopp's is the absolute perfect example of bounties not matching power levels, since his got changed to 200 million. And speaking of Usopp, I hope we get some development of his Haki after this arc.

Not gonna lie, it kind of bugs me that Usopp has a higher bounty than Sanji.

But it's funny.

If there's one guy I'd want to have a bigger bounty, it's Franky. Dude's got access to Vegapunk tech and could have the plans for Pluton memorized (fully or only partially, I feel like some of what went into Sunny could've come from the Pluton plans) or has a spare copy hidden away for all we know.

Though for now I like Chopper's bounty being inconsequential, it keeps him under the radar. I'm hoping it'll result in him having a Big Damn Hero moment somewhere down the line, sort of how Brook is the MVP of this arc.

EDIT: I'm not sure how I never realized this before, but I think those lines on Franky's arms are supposed to emulate his old arm hair.

But it's funny.

If there's one guy I'd want to have a bigger bounty, it's Franky. Dude's got access to Vegapunk tech and could have the plans for Pluton memorized (fully or only partially, I feel like some of what went into Sunny could've come from the Pluton plans) or has a spare copy hidden away for all we know.

Though for now I like Chopper's bounty being inconsequential, it keeps him under the radar. I'm hoping it'll result in him having a Big Damn Hero moment somewhere down the line, sort of how Brook is the MVP of this arc.

Franky is certainly one of the primary fighters of the crew. ATM I'd say the strength of the crew breaks down something like this

Luffy

Zoro

Sanji

Brook/Frankie

Robin

Chopper

Nami

Usopp

I'm pretty sure Oda has said that Usopp will always be the weakest member of the crew.

Yea, I was recently thinking about Pluton actually. I'm curious if/when the 3 weapons will come up and play a roll in the story. On that note, I'm also curious what dirt Mingo had on the World Nobles. My memory is vague on it, but I remember something along those line.

Also, gotta give Chopper his due. Him beating Brûlée was HUGE for the Straw Hats this arc.

One could argue her powers made things too convenient, but I just find it too funny, her just getting dragged all over the place against her will the entire time. Like how Caesar was during Dressrosa.

As for Doflamingo, all we know is that he blackmailed the WG with his knowledge of their "national treasure" that, if shared, would "shake the world to its very core." And that it can be used in conjunction with Law's DF to control the world. We don't know any details yet, though.

EDIT: Found the panels about it. Note that whatever power the fruit has when used with the treasure, it's something separate from its ability to grant eternal life.

DFf7et3.png

rcwP2nm.png

The "treasure" could be whatever Uranus is, since it's the one Ancient Weapon we know nothing about.

One could argue her powers made things too convenient, but I just find it too funny, her just getting dragged all over the place against her will the entire time. Like how Caesar was during Dressrosa.

As for Doflamingo, all we know is that he blackmailed the WG with his knowledge of their "national treasure" that, if shared, would "shake the world to its very core." And that it can be used in conjunction with Law's DF to control the world. We don't know any details yet, though.

EDIT: Found the panels about it. Note that whatever power the fruit has when used with the treasure, it's something separate from its ability to grant eternal life.

DFf7et3.png

rcwP2nm.png

The "treasure" could be whatever Uranus is, since it's the one Ancient Weapon we know nothing about.

Her powers have been super convenient but I don't mind it too much. It started in the hands of the enemy and they beat her in order to use it. For this type of thing I think thats a good way to earn it.

Yea, thats what I was thinking of. Oda isn't one to leave an introduced concept hanging. I'm certain what ever it is will come into play at some point.

On that note, I'm calling Reiju saving Big Mom from the poison.

[spoiler=864]It felt like there was so much going on this chapter that in actuality not a lot got done, but it had its moments. Didn't expect Judge to start crying, seems even he has feelings. I hope Sanji can have an epic moment where he saves his family and then they join the fight or something. Also, his line towards Pudding was pretty cool, asking her if she was deceiving herself.

That Daifuku guy with the genie in a lamp DF was pretty neat.

Bege got a really cool line at the end of the chapter, too. Things may have stalled for a second but I imagine when Luffy shows Big Mom the photo again things are gonna kick right back off.

[spoiler=864]

Return of the cover stories. I really shouldn't have been surprised with who Oda went with for this new one.

Yea, not really happened with this chapter. Big Mom is over loaded with things to be angry about and kind of soft locked. Kind of makes sense given what we know about it. Other than that the Big Mom Pirates making their move on the Germa and Judge breaking down are the only real progress. It is funny though I ALMOST feel bad for Judge but then you have Reiju's line of "you made them this way you idiot" to remind us that he is a monster. My guess is the guests are there to both see Judge's pitiful reaction and how Mom let everyone inevitably get away.

Also, looks like Sanji isn't fairing too well against the genie dude. Come on, I want to see Sanji win a fight for once. Though I suppose his family be held at gun point is distracting him. My bet is he would have a better match up against the heat dude.

High light of the chapter is Sanji's line to Pudding and Bege's line at the end about changing your future. Though it is weird since they are trying to make the future Dogtooth saw come true. Though on that note I like Bege using his reaction to gauge whats going to happen in the near future.

Other nice small bits and Pudding is still shown to be crying and Luffy laughing when Brook shows him he can detach his head.

Also, I was looking stuff over on Manga Panda and on of the brothers is translated as having a different line about them about to be shot. My guess is them being coated in candy and thats whats keeping them from fighting back is the better translation.

Over all, while the chapter wasn't bad it BARELY moved anything forward, so I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Archived