Official One Piece Anime & Manga Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[spoiler=pudding]

I KNEW SHE WOULDN'T DO IT. WHAT IF THEY GET MARRIED NOW?

^^^^

[spoiler=Marriage]

Well I mean, technically they are married now I think. Like the ceremony itself does seem legit.

Also, I only just realized today that her name is supposed to be pronounced like crème brûlée.

The whole family is named around food puns. Its amazing.

Anyway

[spoiler=Thoughts]

Great chapter. Sanja's reaction to the 3rd eye is just super in character. And while part of me is like "they are redeeming Pudding to easily" Shradow is spot on that that kind of childhood can REALLY screw a person up and to have someone not see you as a monster when EVERYONE, including yourself, sees you that way can really hit you hard. The way Oda set up the moment also does it wonders since you still have multiple thoughts balloons with Pudding being like "DIEDIEDIE" and even when she gets shown that kindness she knows she still needs to kill him, but really can't bring herself to do so. Really curious what she'll end up doing going forward.

Also, really loved the panel where Sanji dodge's Dogtooth's attack and the glare he shots him after he does so. Dogtooth's reaction to the coming horde of Luffys was also cool. He knows things are about to go south real fast and everyone else is just like "wait what do".

Luffy's entrance is an amazing one. Since not only does it create a massive distraction he isn't even among the clone army so he still has an element of surprise on his side.

[spoiler=Thoughts]

And while part of me is like "they are redeeming Pudding to easily" Shradow is spot on that that kind of childhood can REALLY screw a person up and to have someone not see you as a monster when EVERYONE, including yourself, sees you that way can really hit you hard.

[spoiler=]

Yeah. While to the readers it may seem too easy if she starts being nice from this, from her perspective that one compliment is probably one of the most significant things in her life.

Ah right, Brulee. Wow they're getting a lot of mileage out of using her.

I don't think Pudding will join the crew, if anyone from this arc has a shot of that, it's Jinbe or Carrot. But Carrot doesn't have a unique back-story separate from the other Minks, so I think she'll only stick around for an arc or two.

I do wonder though if it's setting up a potential love interest down the line. Like how Luffy has Hancock, Zoro has Tashigi, now Sanji has Pudding.

Probably overthinking it, but hey.

Jinbe better becomes a division captain instead, because I would find unsettling for a captain to become a subordinate of another crew; it would be like ranking down.

Doubt Pudding will join the crew. If anything, she will be 1 more of the allies that IMO have the potential of joining a Straw Hat supporting crew later on, like Perona and Bellamy.

[spoiler=Marriage]
Well I mean, technically they are married now I think. Like the ceremony itself does seem legit.

[spoiler=]

They shouldn't be married yet if, following the tradition, the kiss is what seals the deal.

Ah right, Brulee. Wow they're getting a lot of mileage out of using her.

I don't think Pudding will join the crew, if anyone from this arc has a shot of that, it's Jinbe or Carrot. But Carrot doesn't have a unique back-story separate from the other Minks, so I think she'll only stick around for an arc or two.

I do wonder though if it's setting up a potential love interest down the line. Like how Luffy has Hancock, Zoro has Tashigi, now Sanji has Pudding.

[spoiler=wife] do you really see Sanji leaving his wife behind? Esp one with such an amazing Devil Fruit power?

To sail with Luffy and find the All Blue? Yes. But he could promise to return to her after he helps fulfill his dream and his captain's.

I suppose it's not impossible for her to do a huge turn and join, but I don't think it's likely.

Jinbe better becomes a division captain instead, because I would find unsettling for a captain to become a subordinate of another crew; it would be like ranking down.

Doubt Pudding will join the crew. If anything, she will be 1 more of the allies that IMO have the potential of joining a Straw Hat supporting crew later on, like Perona and Bellamy.

[spoiler=]

They shouldn't be married yet if, following the tradition, the kiss is what seals the deal.

I mean, that's what happened with Ace and the other commanders under Whitebeard. And it's not like Jinbe has other goals in mind right now, in fact he waited to tie up all of his loose ends and obligations first with Fishman Island and Big Mom. He was won over by Luffy during their time in Marineford and wants to help him succeed now.

Unless he's killed. Which isn't...impossible. Could still happen actually. That'd give the Big Mom arc a lot more weight if Jinbe dying becomes part of the fallout.

I could also see him joining the Straw Hat Alliance with his own crew, though. I admit it'd feel a little weird with him joining since the crew has always had the Monster Trio with Luffy, Zoro, and Sanji. A powerhouse like Jinbe would alter that dynamic.

I mean, that's what happened with Ace and the other commanders under Whitebeard. And it's not like Jinbe has other goals in mind right now, in fact he waited to tie up all of his loose ends and obligations first with Fishman Island and Big Mom. He was won over by Luffy during their time in Marineford and wants to help him succeed now.

Unless he's killed. Which isn't...impossible. Could still happen actually. That'd give the Big Mom arc a lot more weight if Jinbe dying becomes part of the fallout.

I could also see him joining the Straw Hat Alliance with his own crew, though. I admit it'd feel a little weird with him joining since the crew has always had the Monster Trio with Luffy, Zoro, and Sanji. A powerhouse like Jinbe would alter that dynamic.

[spoiler=]The case with Whitebeard's crew is different because their captain was killed, and naturally they lost the direction, leadership, etc. But Jinbe is his own captain and it's not losing his leader nor anything. And although he stated that's what he intents to do, here I am hoping Luffy rejects him and instead invites him to become one of his alliance/division captains instead; IDK, I don't really see Luffy being comfortable with accepting Jinbe as an underling given their history; I think he would prefer to have him around as an equal.

[spoiler=I mean, Luffy did ask him to join]

x79Y1UH.jpg

And what I meant was with Ace, he used to be the captain of the Spade Pirates until he met Whitebeard and ended up becoming a commander under him instead. I don't recall if the other commanders led their own crews first though, so might just be the case with Ace.

I could see something interfering with Jinbe joining, but I don't think it wouldn't be from Luffy. He was asked to join the crew directly and he unwillingly accepted the Straw Hat Fleet from Dressrosa, so I don't see him telling Jinbe to operate under that banner.

I was honestly thinking something along those lines might happen.

[spoiler=Text]

Don't forget Brook is technically a former captain.

And yea, the kiss is normally important.

[spoiler=Text]The case with Whitebeard's crew is different because their captain was killed, and naturally they lost the direction, leadership, etc. But Jinbe is his own captain and it's not losing his leader nor anything. And although he stated that's what he intents to do, here I am hoping Luffy rejects him and instead invites him to become one of his alliance/division captains instead; IDK, I don't really see Luffy being comfortable with accepting Jinbe as an underling given their history; I think he would prefer to have him around as an equal.

Luffy doesn't view his crew as underlings. His speech back in Arlong Park ALL those years ago shows he views them as equals.

I go to various forums and people somehow can't remember that the clones are from Brulee, I've learned that people can't seem to remember much from One Piece whether it's far away or not (I remember having to remind at least twice that the box from Fishman Island was full of bombs).

And it feels weird to say that Luffy views his crewmates as "equals," that seems like phrasing he wouldn't use. They're just trusted friends. Yeah, Luffy's the captain, but their relationship hasn't really been about rank or standing, and if for whatever reason they differ they're not forced to follow him, as Usopp showed during Water 7.

Like, have you ever thought about the "standing" between you and your friends and thought, "We are equals." I certainly haven't. I never thought about Jinbe going from captain to not captain, he's just another of Luffy's friends joining the group.

I go to various forums and people somehow can't remember that the clones are from Brulee, I've learned that people can't seem to remember much from One Piece whether it's far away or not (I remember having to remind at least twice that the box from Fishman Island was full of bombs).

And it feels weird to say that Luffy views his crewmates as "equals," that seems like phrasing he wouldn't use. They're just trusted friends. Yeah, Luffy's the captain, but their relationship hasn't really been about rank or standing, and if for whatever reason they differ they're not forced to follow him, as Usopp showed during Water 7.

Like, have you ever thought about the "standing" between you and your friends and thought, "We are equals." I certainly haven't. I never thought about Jinbe going from captain to not captain, he's just another of Luffy's friends joining the group.

I have to imagine Oda going on break once a month doesn't help the memory issues. Even recent stuff isn't as recent as you'd expect because of that. Like I did totally forget about the box being full of bombs and my memory with One Piece is pretty solid all things considered.

Equals might not be the best word, but the point still remains that Luffy doesn't view himself as being better than the rest of the crew. Honestly, he doesn't view himself as better than anyone. Which is a long running theme of the series, most of the villain are incredibly self centered. Like, if Luffy saw Pudding's 3rd eye his reaction would more or less be "uh, meh, what ever". Another great example of this is again, Arlong Park when Luffy just didn't care about Nami's backstory. It doesn't matter to him. He is an exceptionally straight forward character, and while people can take issue with that, it is not without benefit to him as a character.

Going back to Pudding, I find some people's reaction to her and complaints about this twist kinda odd. It's not like she's suddenly turned good or anything from a single compliment, she's just facing something she legitimately can't deal with and doesn't know how to react to, thus the crying emotional breakdown. But I did see a very well worded post on Reddit.

"This has been meticulously planned and integrated into her character behaviour from the beginning.

The way she was raised and treated is also why she hated Sanji so much. She saw that he has fallen for her on the first sight, but he only saw her fake mask that she had to create because of her family. In her mind there was no way he wouldn't be repulsed once he sees her third eye, because there hasn't been anyone like that in her life so far. So his affection felt fake, like a mockery.

Then when Sanji peeled off his mask to reveal his ugly, beaten up face to Pudding and shared his story, that must have felt so infuriating and confusing for her. Because her whole life she was told to hide her own ugliness, and has only met with disgust from those who saw her real face. She must have lost any hope of trusting anyone, so she took Sanji trusting her as a sign of weakness.

No wonder that soon after she ended up revealing her third eye to Reiju and vented mocking Sanji so hard. In retrospect, that show how conflicted and broken she really is.
Ultimately, she's a complex character, with a lot of pent-up anger. Pudding is a product of Big Mom's obsessions and possessiveness, a ticking bomb that might be even more dangerous than Tamate box. So it's sad that there people take her reaction in this chapter in such simplistic way."

Going back to Pudding, I find some people's reaction to her and complaints about this twist kinda odd. It's not like she's suddenly turned good or anything from a single compliment, she's just facing something she legitimately can't deal with and doesn't know how to react to, thus the crying emotional breakdown.

To be fair, we just got a glance of her backstory in that same chapter, and only 1~2 pages, so it's kinda understandable for readers to be thrown off and jump into assumptions or expectations; but now it is confirmed that her case really goes deep.

P.D. For the record, I didn't think Pudding was suddenly good; I just noted here that I didn't foresee Sanji reaching her to such degree and that at best she becomes a non-crewmember ally, but wouldn't place any bets on that yet.

[spoiler=OH MY funking GOD]Holy sheet this chapter was soooooo gooood. When I saw it come up in my feed my heart was beating out of my chest I was so excited.

So Dogtooth's a mochi logia, that's hilariously awesome.

And Big Mom's soul taking power only works on those afraid of her? That's a really interesting weakness, and we got to see Jinbe be totally awesome in showing it off.

But my god I lost my sheet at the last two panels of the chapter, all it took was two panels to make this one of my favorite chapters. I can't believe Brook was disguised as one of the Luffy's in order to break the picture, that was so funking funny. It was the perfect backup plan, since they were meant to not pay the clones any mind after the initial burst of chaos. Brook continues to be MVP of this arc, this time with the sick backdoor play.

[spoiler=863]

Jinbe is the man, love that guy. I don't care if it'd be a little weird, I'm more than game for him joining the crew. And so is Luffy, you all saw his giddy reaction to him saying that.

Brook keeps coming in clutch this arc, I'd love to see him be this proactive in future arcs. What a boss. That last panel was hysterical, just making it in to break the picture.

Dogtooth's power is another one where it doesn't sound that threatening at first, but the more you think about it, it can actually be really deadly. He probably would have finished Luffy right then and there if Jinbe didn't come in with water.

Archived