Official One Piece Anime & Manga Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[spoiler=865]Damn, break next week. But we're gonna get a look into Big Mom's backstory, and it's in Elbaf as well. It seems we'll find out why Big Mom wants giants so much that she'd get Caesar to turn kids giant. That'll be cool.

And what a badass panel for Sanji.

GZJAZSI.png

New chapter REALLY made last weeks feel fillery. Still, the payoff was worth it. Not much happened this chapter, but seeing the insane power of Big Mom's cry is cool. The shot of the building itself really solid it. Sanji got a badass panel and poor Raiju :(. I didenjoy the shot of her and Chopper, was cute for some reason. Not sure how I feel about the impending backstory, since part of me wants to finish up the arc, but at the same time learning Mom's backstory should be enjoyable. Over all solid chapter.

• 2 weeks later...

[spoiler=Chapter 866]So we're getting a look at Big Mom's past, and I thought this was a really good chapter. We couldn't get the whole thing in one go, but that's to be expected. So Big Mom can't get any giants because of all the bad blood caused by this incident. Though Lola was meant to marry Loki (whose birth was mentioned this chapter) before she ran away, so I'm guessing that was supposed to be some reconciliation between them. Regarding Mother Carmel, given her appearance from the photo I wasn't actually expecting her to be the honestly kind, caring woman like she turned out to be (I was expecting a situation where she wasn't really a good person but she still resonated well with Big Mom or something and so she remembers her fondly). But I guess smoking and being so old will do that to a person's looks. I'm wondering if she actually did leave after this event or if she'll take the sword swing for Big Mom and be killed, and Big Mom just doesn't/chooses not to remember properly.

It's interesting to see a young Hajrudin, as well as Oimo and Kashi again (the timeline of things match up as well, they said 10 more years they'd go look for Dorry and Brogy, but ended up guarding Enies Lobby for about 50 years after that). And I don't know if it means anything (knowing Oda it very well could), but one of the houses had on it a similar sheep head like the Merry did. I also saw someone point out that those old giants are about 400 years old in the present time (assuming they're still alive which they may very well not be), which was around how long ago Noland met Calgara and the Shandians.

The whole "natural born destroyer" thing reminds me of Shizuo from Durarara!!, though unlike Big Mom he actually dislikes violence and isn't crazy.

This little covery story of Cavendish is funny so far, he was ruining the social balance of his country by keeping the women unmarried. So he was actually a prince before becoming a pirate, I forget if we already knew that or not. I don't think we've heard of the Bourgeois Kingdom before this, though.

I've been thinking about the giants lately, and how strong they are within the series. They're fittingly very imposing figures in the One Piece world, and seem to have lots of legends and hubbub about them and their strength. Their kingdom, Elbaf, resides in the New World, the harshest region in the world. The most recent showing of theirs we've seen before this new chapter was Hajrudin on Dressrosa. He lost to Luffy in one punch, fair enough, but he was strong enough to beat a Donquixote Family Executive. And we saw Little Oars Jr. and the sort of things he could do at Marineford, albeit he's a very special case of giant.

In particular, I'm wondering about Dorry and Brogy. They were formerly the leaders of the Giant Warrior Pirates (so you'd think they'd be at least as strong as Hajrudin), a group that, both back when they were first introduced as well as this new chapter, was said to have terrorized the world, so I'm wondering how strong they really are. When they were first introduced on Little Garden, the power scale of the series was much lower. Their bounties of 100M were really impressive at the time (remember that Luffy's was only 30M at the time), but nowadays that's chump change compared to the 1B+ bounties we've been seeing. If they were ever reintroduced into the series in any significant way (with Hajrudin wanting to reform the Giant Warrior Pirates it'd be cool seeing them again), I'm wondering if they'd be much stronger than when we first saw them on Little Garden, just to match pace with the series as it is now, as well as more closely match the sort of descriptors that giants and the Giant Warrior Pirates have been given overall.

[spoiler=Chapter 867]Ok so Mother Carmel was a terrible person, my initial thought was correct. But it looks like Big Mom actually did eat everybody without noticing? Not sure how else they would've just disappeared like that. That's really dark if that's the case.

However, Mother Carmel had the Soul Soul Fruit before Big Mom did, that was unexpected. Does this mean Big Mom gained the same power by eating Carmel, or did she just happen to gain the same power by eating the fruit when it reformed elsewhere?

We're back to the present now, though, so it'll be interesting to finally see what's gonna happen now that they've weakened Big Mom.

[spoiler=867]

I think Big Mom ate them too. And maybe eating Caramel was how she inherited the DF power? Not sure how that'd work, my guess would be that since the fruit's a soul power that it ended up just joining with Big Mom's soul inside her instead of manifesting into a new fruit.

Or something.

I think we'll see Dorry and Broggy again. It's possible all bounties were on the lower end of the scale in their time, all the current powerful figures in the One Piece world seem to have been born later on with figures like Gold Roger and the Yonko shifting the paradigm. Kinda like inflation.

Both of them had weakened each other in the Little Garden arc, which was why a scrub like Mr. 3 could subdue them. I think they'd be pretty damn strong in their prime if they return.

It's possible all bounties were on the lower end of the scale in their time, all the current powerful figures in the One Piece world seem to have been born later on with figures like Gold Roger and the Yonko shifting the paradigm. Kinda like inflation.

That makes sense. They've been dueling for a century, which means their bounties are even older than that.

• 2 weeks later...

[spoiler=Chapter 869]Seeing all the colorful outfits of Germa when the colored volume cover got released awhile back gave off some real Power Ranger vibes, but now they've had actual transformation scenes and special names and everything. That's hilarious.

The Tamatebako has finally come into the picture, it's clear it'll have something to do very soon. Maybe they'll try and stuff it down Big Mom's gullet or something when they get it back from where it's fallen. Or if it straight up opens when it hits the ground and the explosion is a distraction to help them escape or something.

And now Big Mom's back in the picture, Dogtooth's doing work with his mochi, and overall things seem to have gone to sheet. And to make it worse, we've got a break next week. :(

[spoiler=Ahh sheet]

Their plan's going down further the tubes chapter by chapter. Not a bad double spread with the Vinsmokes though, you can tell the anime's going to make a big deal of parodying sailor scout/kamen rider transformations with that scene.

Oda's having Big Mom pull a King Kong again, hammering in her being a monster there.

• 2 weeks later...

[spoiler=870]The main action only started near the end, but it was still a kickass chapter. Sanji finally told off Judge, and they're finally initiating their escape plan. Of course Sanji and Luffy are idiots looking to pick a fight, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

And this is the first time Zoro's been mentioned in awhile, I've missed him.

• 2 weeks later...

[spoiler=872]

On one hand, I'm sad we didn't see a funny scene with the Tamatebako blowing up in Big Mom's face. On the other hand, it's the perfect wrench thrown into the machine here. This escape is perfectly chaotic and grandiose. Straw Hats should be out in a few chapters. 

I was caught off-guard by that chef dude, turned out to be a beast. Makes sense I guess since he helped start the crew.

I wonder if Big Mom's gonna start eating some of her crew in her blind rage and we'll flash back to her eating the Sister and orphans as a kid...

Solid chapter and nice cover spread for the 20th anniversary!

• 2 weeks later...

[spoiler=873]

Now there's a cliffhanger!

Interesting talks with the Big Mom crew, I'd be cool with her eating her son in a frenzy to show off her ruthlessness and possibly tie in to the end of that flashback where she ate the rest of the orphans.

I'm really intrigued by the chapter cover though. Bartolomeo meeting Shanks is something I hadn't thought of, but makes perfect sense when you think about it and would be awesome to see.

[spoiler=Episode 873]

I really hope Luffy, or the Straw Hats, beat mom as they promised somehow, now that she caught up with them. I wouldn't mind if they drop a Deus Ex Machina or whatever, but I wouldn't be too comfortable with Luffy leaving this conflict just for later. I mostly want him to keep his word, despite saying the chapter before he would beat her after Kaido.

Ah, so the jolly roger in the cover is Shanks, that's cool! I didn't recognize and didn't bother to check which crew it was xD

[spoiler=Episode 873]

I really hope Luffy, or the Straw Hats, beat mom as they promised somehow, now that she caught up with them. I wouldn't mind if they drop a Deus Ex Machina or whatever, but I wouldn't be too comfortable with Luffy leaving this conflict just for later. I mostly want him to keep his word, despite saying the chapter before he would beat her after Kaido.

Ah, so the jolly roger in the cover is Shanks, that's cool! I didn't recognize and didn't bother to check which crew it was xD

I can respect wanting that since we did spend a whole year at Big Mom's without her being crossed off the list. But on the other hand, she is one of the strongest bad guys of the series. It'd be a let-down if she were taken down that quick.

We need to see a big, crazy fight when Big Mom goes down and I don't see that happening right now. The arc's at its climax right now, it'd feel different if we were about to enter a final fight. You knew we were about to see a few chapters of a final showdown when Luffy stared Doffy down as they stood over Law.

Wow, 1 year in Mom's territory already? Even more the reason to wish for a big finale xD

Also I just had a random thought: what if Pound becomes that Deus Ex Machina? I have nothing back that up but think about it: I doubt Big Mom would have kids with just an average guy, so probably Pound is hella strong, but just being dumb. Also, in the forest he was practically imprisoned; he did mention that Mom didn't mind him being killed, and yet he was allowed to live. Why not let him go, instead? I can only think they didn't want him roaming around the world for whatever reason.

And now that they are approaching King Baum and the forest... IDK he may show up and do stuff, who knows.

[spoiler=874]Man this action was great. Big Mom's attack reminded me of Hajrudin's Gungnir, and Prometheus burning the forest was scary with the face he had, popping out suddenly. Zeus craving food was pretty funny, too, I guess he does take after Big Mom after all given he came from her soul. I'm curious as to what Katakuri's got in mind.

And best of all, it looks like Pudding's finally made up her mind about this situation.

[spoiler=New chap]

Pretty good! I liked the gag with Nami and Zeus, it's a funny way for her to throw a freaking Yonko off her game. Intense chase so far.

I was listening to this podcast on YouTube and I think they made a good prediction. I think the crew is going to escape for now, only for Big Mom to pursue them. The next arc with Kaido is also gonna have Big Mom in the fray and it's going to be a giant, beautiful mess.

At the very least, I can see Dogtooth making a point to pursue them after they escape.

I could actually maybe see Jinbe scrapping with him. I really think he's joining the crew this time and it'd be fitting to give him a big fight on his way out. They fight while the rest fend off Big Mom and whoever else.

Also nice to see him jump up in the popularity poll. But sad that Batolomeo dropped so much.

• 2 weeks later...

[spoiler=Chapter 875]Interesting, I'm wondering if Pudding might just actually have some sort of split personality. Maybe something like what Reiner was dealing with in AoT S2.

Also, Bartolomeo burning Shanks' flag and still trying to sell his Straw Hat stuff was really funny. I bet Shanks would actually buy one.

[spoiler=Episode 875]

Glad to see Nami shine with that sneaky attack with Zeus. Also, can't wait to see Chopper get in real action now. Hopefully he will make plenty of use of his monster form. Lately I have acquired an interest on Zoan users because we see so little of them in battle. The last cool battle with a Zoan was... Rob Lucci IIRC, which was a while ago; I would mention Jack's squad but the manga didn't show too much fighting and they were mostly oppressing the Minks.

Seems to me the manga is trying to confuse us with Pudding's real intentions, but I still trust she means well towards Sanji and the Straw Hats. After all, he did kinda sorta broke her heart back then, after all, dispelling decades of rejection.

Also yeah, I doubt Bartolomeo will get in trouble from that stunt.

[spoiler=876]Pudding has turned into a crazy mood swinging tsundere, that's funking funny.

I didn't realize all the soldiers they brought to the Sunny were the soul guys that Brook could beat, that's good since it let them stall more.

Big Mom just swimming through the earth was pretty cool, too.

[spoiler=Chapter 876]

Glad to have confirmed that Pudding is an ally, despite the drastic mood changes. Hopefully she will sort things out after the conflict ends.

Chopper still in his Kung fu Point form, huh. It is my least favorite of his forms and wish he switches into another one soon... preferably Arm Point, despite him saying that he no longer uses it, and of course the Monster point.

• 3 weeks later...

[spoiler=Chapter 878]

Luffy picking a fight with Katakuri, huh? This is going to get interesting. But even if he defeats it, how he plans to go back?

The chapter didn't reveal if Pedro survived or not. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't make it. Besides, One Piece is not unfamiliar with taking big characters away, like Ace and Whitebeard.

I'm still annoyed at the latest chapters not showing too much of Chopper in combat, and especially that he didn't go all-out with a monster form or something, but that's just a personal nitpick.

Archived