Official One Piece Anime & Manga Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[spoiler=Chapter 893]

Damn, Katakuri behaved so damn cool. And he has glasgow smile, huh. I'm kinda sorta into that sort of thing. Looks so much better with his face uncovered IMO. I wonder if those teeth are from a human species/clan in particular.

I still find Luffy's growth and resistance far fetched, and personally I want him to lose this one because I struggle to accept that he can get at the level of a Yonko captain such as Katakuri this soon.  But oh well, it's for the sake of entertainment, I guess.

[spoiler=893]

Dogtooth's a boss. I like him a lot and I like how this fight is seriously pushing Luffy to his limits here. Seems like he had a rough childhood too.

Glad the little sister was knocked out, she was obnoxious. I'm curious to see what we'll see of Dogtooth after this arc is over. I can see him and the Big Mom pirates going to war at some point and he won't bother hiding his face, it'll be out in full view.

[spoiler=Chapter 894]

Something interested was pointed out in this chapter: Luffy detects living beings and feelings through Hak. Plus the statement that the fight would depend on the opponent's feelings. I don't fully get what he meant with that yet, but I can only speculate that, due to Katakuri's personality, intentionally or not he ended up training Luffy. Or perhaps it's more accurate to say that Luffy "felt" Katakuri's personality and realized he could take the beating for a crash course training with less fear of being actually killed? I mean, if Luffy detects feelings with haki, I can only think he found that Katakuri was too honorable, prideful, etc. to actually kill him.

Whew, just caught up from chapter 862. sheet's crazy. Just trying to count the number of siblings in the Charlotte family is overwhelming.

Oda has made mistakes at least twice in numbering them so you aren't alone. Big Mom's name isn't just for show.

Anyway, last two chapter

[spoiler=893/894]

Seriously awesome chapters. Katakuri is a really awesome character and I really want to see more of him going forward. The fact that Oda didn't give us a clean view of Snack and how much Big Mom's story is tied in with the giants I think when we go to Elbaf the crew will show up again. I seriously love how seriously the Big Mom pirates are treating the Straw Hats. I suppose part of this is due to Big Mom's name being on the line because of all the crap they've been able to get away with, but the lengths they've gone to to stop them is something. The biggest thing I'm interested in is Katakuri's motivation right now. Earlier in the fight he says "you're going to transform, why would I let you do that" and here we have Luffy doing just that. My personal guess is that he is a warrior through and through and because of how powerful he is he doesn't often get a chance to fight someone who can measure up to. The reason he was making such a big deal out Luffy's potential is he finally has someone he can fight all out with and he wants to ride it out fully to the end.

Couple other notes.

-I still love that Oda corrected his numbering mistake with a chapter title. Makes is VERY loud and clear he goofed. And speaking off, she was a great heel character.

-Katakuri being bullied so much as a kid and Flambe's reaction really is in line with everything we've seen from Big Mom and her family.

-I love how much Luffy is getting his ass kicked in this fight. Every exchange shows him on the losing end so I'm curious how he'll turn this around. While I can get why someone would be bothered by Luffy beating a character build as being this strong it doesn't bother me. Luffy has been able to fight toe to toe with him for +6 hours on top of his 12 hour fight with Cracker 2 days earlier so Luffy is already clearly VERY strong in his own right. And Luffy's ability to take insane beatings has been a character trait for a long time.

-Oda giving the Gear 4 forms subnames was a brilliant move since it allows him to do stuff like Tankman and now Snakeman. The name makes me think his arms will have a more snake like movement when he attacks, but he could already do that in Boundman. Curious what this will end up like.

[spoiler=894]

SNAKEMAN!

I love me some shonen transformations, so another Gear 4 mode sounds awesome to me.

Luffy's whole jungle animal motif since entering the New World makes me wonder how many other modes he can use for G4. Probably not too much but I can see him hiding maybe 2 more up his sleeve which we'll see in Wano or somewhere.

Flame's got a good point with Snack. I think things will come to a bigger head in Elbaph with the Big Mom Pirates coming back and maybe the SH Fleet will be involved thanks to Hajrudin. 

Now that you mention it, I think Elbaph will be only one or two arcs after Wano.

Hm, volume 88 has some interesting color choices between the two groups of characters. I wonder if it means anything... Plus, the shattering of the mirror and the framing of the moon and Carrot's Sulong form is cool.

HuvsXXk.jpg

Also the new chapter was so good. Non stop action with awesome art.

[spoiler=I thought this was a fantastic panel.]

JxgIWqc.jpg

[spoiler=Chapter 895]

I didn't like it too much, personally. Mostly fighting, and if it's already over, then I felt it was too quick. I sure hope Luffy didn't win this one, though. As I stated before, I would find it too much of an stretch if he reached a power levels higher than Katakuri in such a sort time. Even if it can be justified with his Haki abilities, I would find it as a Deux es Machina thing.

Hm, volume 88 has some interesting color choices between the two groups of characters. I wonder if it means anything... Plus, the shattering of the mirror and the framing of the moon and Carrot's Sulong form is cool.

HuvsXXk.jpg

Also the new chapter was so good. Non stop action with awesome art.

[spoiler=I thought this was a fantastic panel.]

JxgIWqc.jpg

Jesus, that is a BEAUTIFUL cover. One Piece has some awesome volume art, but that has to be one of the best.

And agreed. That was just a badass shot.

[spoiler=Chapter 895]

I didn't like it too much, personally. Mostly fighting, and if it's already over, then I felt it was too quick. I sure hope Luffy didn't win this one, though. As I stated before, I would find it too much of an stretch if he reached a power levels higher than Katakuri in such a sort time. Even if it can be justified with his Haki abilities, I would find it as a Deux es Machina thing.

Too be fair, this fight has been going on since chapter 878, and the fight has been at its climax for a few chapters on top of that. And I'm not sure if Luffy will win or note, but I don't think Luffy needs to "win" to win. Two important things have been established now. Oda wouldn't have shown the flashback unless it matters meaning Luffy's way of winning is going to be in relation to Dogtooth himself. Secondly, we had something pretty important established about Dogtooth and has been a recurring element of this fight, showing up multiple times even in this chapter, for Dogtooth to be knocked on his back is a shame. Between him mocking Luffy for allowing himself to fall as often has he has to the fact that every time they clash we have a show him making it a point to land on his feet, I believe for Luffy to win he'll just need to knock him down. Even if Dogtooth would be able to continue to fight, it is very possible that he'll take that alone to be his defeat.

That said, I could be totally off base with this.

TIL that Oda purposely doesn't use thought bubbles for Luffy. He's always straightforward and says what's on his mind.

Yea, I learned that a while ago. It is a really cool detail to give Luffy. Also really contrasts him to the other major Shonen Hero currently, Deku, who is all about internal monologue.

Anyway, chapter was super straight forward since it was all just one fight. My only comment really is on Luffy's new power.

[spoiler=Power]

I wish this was more different from Boundman. When I originally saw the name I thought it would have Luffy's punches be more snake like, only to realize that he could already do that in Boundman. I feel like Oda wanted to give that fighting style its own dedicated form and this will be where the majority of that will happen now. I think the comparison between the two is that Boundman is closer to Gear 3 and Snakeman Gear 2.

[spoiler=Thoughts]

Last chapter was awesome for action. That one panel where Dogtooth stood after smashing Luffy to the ground was sick.

I love how Luffy's head in Snakeman is giving off kabuki vibes

[spoiler=Kinda like this]

XOoI6kb.jpg

I'm starting to wonder if they will draw instead. I'd be cool with that. Maybe they both go flying out the mirror and Sanji will scoop Luffy and successfully escape.

Too be fair, this fight has been going on since chapter 878, and the fight has been at its climax for a few chapters on top of that. And I'm not sure if Luffy will win or note, but I don't think Luffy needs to "win" to win. Two important things have been established now. Oda wouldn't have shown the flashback unless it matters meaning Luffy's way of winning is going to be in relation to Dogtooth himself. Secondly, we had something pretty important established about Dogtooth and has been a recurring element of this fight, showing up multiple times even in this chapter, for Dogtooth to be knocked on his back is a shame. Between him mocking Luffy for allowing himself to fall as often has he has to the fact that every time they clash we have a show him making it a point to land on his feet, I believe for Luffy to win he'll just need to knock him down. Even if Dogtooth would be able to continue to fight, it is very possible that he'll take that alone to be his defeat.

That said, I could be totally off base with this.

Yea, I learned that a while ago. It is a really cool detail to give Luffy. Also really contrasts him to the other major Shonen Hero currently, Deku, who is all about internal monologue.

Anyway, chapter was super straight forward since it was all just one fight. My only comment really is on Luffy's new power.

[spoiler=Power]

I wish this was more different from Boundman. When I originally saw the name I thought it would have Luffy's punches be more snake like, only to realize that he could already do that in Boundman. I feel like Oda wanted to give that fighting style its own dedicated form and this will be where the majority of that will happen now. I think the comparison between the two is that Boundman is closer to Gear 3 and Snakeman Gear 2.

I agree with that, being acknowledged by Katakuri and knocking him down is already a victory for Luffy.

I think the same about Snakeman being too similar to Boundman. It's another reason I didn't like this chapter that much.

• 2 weeks later...

[spoiler=896]This fight was cool as hell. I know some people were questioning how Luffy might be able to defeat Katakuri, but honestly this felt closer to a draw to me (they both fell down and then got back up at about the same times, and to me it looked like Katakuri fell on his back willingly to let Luffy go out of respect). Either way, the fight was probably my favorite 1v1 in the series and the both showed mad respect to each other. I also love how the crew wasn't worried about him actually winning, just other minor silly stuff.

Hopefully Pudding's request is something harmless like a kiss or something, I don't want her to use it as a feint to mess with his memories in an attempt to make Sanji forget about her or something.

Also no break next week, woo!

[spoiler=896]This fight was cool as hell. I know some people were questioning how Luffy might be able to defeat Katakuri, but honestly this felt closer to a draw to me (they both fell down and then got back up at about the same times, and to me it looked like Katakuri fell on his back willingly to let Luffy go out of respect). Either way, the fight was probably my favorite 1v1 in the series and the both showed mad respect to each other. I also love how the crew wasn't worried about him actually winning, just other minor silly stuff.

Hopefully Pudding's request is something harmless like a kiss or something, I don't want her to use it as a feint to mess with his memories in an attempt to make Sanji forget about her or something.

Also no break next week, woo!

[spoiler=896]I think her request could be a kiss, but it could also be to ask him to stop smoking. That'd be pretty cool.

Since no here commented on it. I was confused at what Luffy did with his hat at the end. Then I realized it and it gave me warm fuzzy feelings inside. Katakuri came in pretty late into the arc, but holy hell was he one of the best things about it. His character and the fight between him and Luffy is one of the best in the series.

Curious what the One Last Wish is from the title. Hopefully Oda won't make us wait too long to find out.

[spoiler=896]

I am also going to call that a tie. Both of them knocked each other out at the same time and both also got up afterward. I'd agree that Dogtooth acquiesced there and let Luffy continue. 

And I love that Luffy left his gangster hat on his face, I actually prefer this to my theory a few weeks ago about him being smashed out of the mirror. Like I said before, I love it when enemies show respect to each other.

Great fight, definitely one of the best One Piece fights and I can't wait to see the anime's take on it. They should be saving some budget and get ready to deliver with those episodes.

^They did do the Luffy and Doflamingo fight pretty well.

The one thing that makes me hesitant though is the Doffy fight went mostly uninterrupted in the manga whereas this fight was woven in between several other scenes, so I'm hoping that pacing doesn't throw off the fight much.

Probably being overly paranoid but hey.

^They did do the Luffy and Doflamingo fight pretty well.

The one thing that makes me hesitant though is the Doffy fight went mostly uninterrupted in the manga whereas this fight was woven in between several other scenes, so I'm hoping that pacing doesn't throw off the fight much.

Probably being overly paranoid but hey.

I don't think you're being overly paranoid. The anime leaves a lot to be desired with pacing so being worried makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived