May now be locked - The Original Chance Format

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name='slayer_supreme' timestamp='1351203250' post='6053933']
Call has never seemed to help me, especially first hand. You would think that it's more useful this format than any other, but I have yet to actually activate it...
[/quote]

Would reminds me that I have COTH in my deck, and I do not remember using them[or drawing them], about the same as the bloody rabbit >.>'
Though statistics check what are the odds of getting A limited card[ROTA in my case] in my opening every game except 1 .-.[I'm serious I've seen ROTA in all but 1 opening hand, but never seen the Bloody rabbit which is @2 in my deck with the little bit of draw power I have in it.]

[quote name='Archbaron Barthandelus' timestamp='1351211879' post='6053994']
Spellbooks might not be top tier, but they are quite high up. I would guess anything that can remain hugely consistent in this format will do well. Or something without a major reliance on the extra deck.
[/quote]
You know, besides Fortress. I'v barely used the extra deck. Course when you have a monster that can ram itself into any other monster and then pop a card you kinda don't need to. lol :P

Exodia is completely unviable obviously, considering how you can't have all the pieces in your deck.

I would be interested in having a tournament where we get to use different decks every round. Our own creation, but a different deck. Like I can have two-three different decks lined up, and when I lose with one I use the other one.

Not only would that mean nobody gets an unfair advantage by seeing what someone else is using, but it can help decide what decks are good for this format.

That would be a pretty good idea. A nice way to test a lot of things.

Wierdly... I haven't found the Naturia Synchro's quite as useful in this so far. Despite being in powerful positions when you make them. The best Extra deck stuff really are things that are either stardust, or can have immediate impact. Junk destroyer, Scrap Dragon, Black Rose. Those seem to do better, becuase its harder to come back when you lose field presence. Same for Xyz really, Corn, Emeral and Chain have shined for me so far. Maestroke would be my next favourite, becuase he actually lasts long enough to impact. These are just Rank 4's, becuase I haven't used other ranks much as of late.

The format does come down to who can control the board the best, and thats not just about being agressive. I feel that unless you get Barkion and Beast out, they fall short quickly. Particualrly given Beast is a fairly easy target to run over. I mean, 1 for 1 destruction is amazing, and stuff like Soul Taker capatalizes on it. Solely becuase for most decks in thsi format, its hard to bounce back from the blows. Which is what will show us the top tier decks. The ones, like Monarchs, who can swing control on the board and maintain it despite such removal cards. Monarchs seem to be amazing at it.

[quote name='Archbaron Barthandelus' timestamp='1351216116' post='6054015']
That would be a pretty good idea. A nice way to test a lot of things.

Wierdly... I haven't found the Naturia Synchro's quite as useful in this so far. Despite being in powerful positions when you make them. The best Extra deck stuff really are things that are either stardust, or can have immediate impact. Junk destroyer, Scrap Dragon, Black Rose. Those seem to do better, becuase its harder to come back when you lose field presence. Same for Xyz really, Corn, Emeral and Chain have shined for me so far. Maestroke would be my next favourite, becuase he actually lasts long enough to impact. These are just Rank 4's, becuase I haven't used other ranks much as of late.

The format does come down to who can control the board the best, and thats not just about being agressive. I feel that unless you get Barkion and Beast out, they fall short quickly. Particualrly given Beast is a fairly easy target to run over. I mean, 1 for 1 destruction is amazing, and stuff like Soul Taker capatalizes on it. Solely becuase for most decks in thsi format, its hard to bounce back from the blows. Which is what will show us the top tier decks. The ones, like Monarchs, who can swing control on the board and maintain it despite such removal cards. Monarchs seem to be amazing at it.
[/quote]

Despite my losses, I'd have to agree that it's more about control then aggression.

Also, since I'm out of the tourny now I'll give you guys a look at the deck I was running. Bare in mind that, I'd never run the Arch before and I wanted to use this tourny as a means to get a feel for it.

[Spoiler=Chance's Format: Madolches]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/9yu3X.png[/img]
[/spoiler]

Now I want to note 1 thing in this deck that was absolutely dead. Ultimate Offering. Only once in the 6 Official duels did I draw into it and even then it was dead. So if you want to run madolches don't run that card. It's just a waste of space here. Also, during the non-official duels I didn't draw it once.

Another note. Defense Draw. It's amazing, it stops 1 atk damage and gives you a draw as a reward. It can act as bait and not once was it dead (Decree doesn't count <-< ).

Archbaron Barthandelus has a point in that it's generally harder to stand back up. Though to some degree, it is still possible.
Not sure how that could change, actually ^^"

The idea of banned cards here, even in exchange for your limited+semi spots, is risky. Can you imagine the Card of Safe Return + Manticore combo? xD

This is most likely not a staple, I haven't even seen anyone else use it yet, but I think it's doing well enough for me:
[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111206055144/yugioh/images/thumb/1/1b/ShardofGreed-PHSW-EN-ScR-1E.jpg/300px-ShardofGreed-PHSW-EN-ScR-1E.jpg[/img]

I'm pleasantly surprised to find that, Extra Deck is not dead at all. It's saved my butt a few times, even with their Summoning sickness, and even with my Deck using Orichalcos and getting by with pretty much my Normal Summon each turn only. Their sickness on itself, can be counted as a way for your your opponent to feel a bit of relief and get back up with less dificulty.
Something else I noticed about them, is that over half the time I see them appear until Main Phase 2, except for Stardust and Scrap Dragon, for their obvious uses.

I must point something else about the format. Most Extra Deck bosses have been watered down, but what do you think of the Main Deck ones running around without the restrictions? =0
Is it too grave in some cases?

I personally dslike Grapha's "I destroy something when you are just setting up for my revival, then i can easily be a 3k beatstick every turn for the rest of the game", but that's probably just being butthurt xD

I've not had a problem with this format its kinda enlightening but it really just reflects on how far the meta has come from being skill based and out playing to herp derp looping. I mean for monarchs to be top tier just proves that their are no exploitable loops discovered yet. My deck is simple seeing as I was butthut by the last time I tried to participate in one of these things and it works. Its crud and only serves to beatdown but hey whatever. lol

The only really great staple here is Prohibition the backrow hate is just shot in the knee with this format. You don't have your 3MST and you may not have your heavy, so sure a crippling continuous spell card can just float on the field and troll face you. I remember I was playing Ratskin and they caught me with prohibition, I just sat there and took it. Unfortunately I happened to get the mystical with only 100 lifepoints left and proceeded to savagely provide a reversal. It was entertaining to say the least.

So far I've found this format to be quite entertaining pity timezones and DN just don't want to work in my favor when it comes to actually playing official matches.

[quote name='Excalibur-sama' timestamp='1351251467' post='6054175']
I honestly feel Summon sickness isn't there at all. Maybe it's just me.
[/quote]

Probably just you. After reviewing my past tournaments and matches I've had using my own format, this is "my" results of the Tier List:

Tier 1:
Monarchs (Played)
New HERO/Alius Beat (Played/Against)
Wind-Ups (Played)
Atlanteans (Played)
Mermails (Played/Against)
Karakuri (Against)
Geargia (Against)
Gadget Machines (Against)
Machina (Against)
Evols (Played/Against)
Dark World (Played)
Hieratics (Played/Against)
Lightsworns (Played/Against)
Anti-Meta (Chaos) (Played/Against)
Anti-Meta (Stun) (Played/Against)
Koa'ki Rock Stun (Played)
Grand Psychics (Against)
Chaos Dragons (Against)
Twilight (Against)
Zombies (Xyzs) (Against)
Zombies (Synchro) (Against)
Gladiator Beasts (Played)
Firestars (Played)
Blackwings (Against)
X-Sabers (Against)
Infernity (Against)
Six Sams (Against)
Agents (Played/Against)
T.G. Stun (Against)
Gravekeepers (Against)
Dragunity (Against)
Frogs (Played/Against)

Tier 2:
Inzektors (Played/Against)
Scraps (Against)
Crystal Beasts (Played)
Evilswarm (Played/Against)
Constellars (Against)
Lavals (Against)
Synchron (Played/Against)

Tire 3
...TBA?

That's 1 hell of a Tier 1 List O.o

[quote name='Chance Furlong' timestamp='1351260790' post='6054211']
Probably just you. After reviewing my past tournaments and matches I've had using my own format, this is "my" results of the Tier List:

Tier 1:
Monarchs
New HERO/Alius Beat
Wind-Ups
Atlanteans
Mermails
Karakuri
Geargia
Gadget Machines
Machina
Evols
Dark World
Hieratics
Lightsworns
Anti-Meta (Chaos)
Anti-Meta (Stun)
Koa'ki Rock Stun
Grand Psychics
Chaos Dragons
Twilight
Zombies (Xyzs)
Zombies (Synchro)
Gladiator Beasts
Firestars
Blackwings
X-Sabers
Infernity
Six Sams
Agents
T.G. Stun
Gravekeepers
Dragunity
Frogs

Tier 2:
Inzektors
Scraps
Crystal Beasts
Evilswarm
Constellars
Lavals
Synchron

Tire 3
...TBA?

That's 1 hell of a Tier 1 List O.o
[/quote]
Am I the only one so far that has done Madolche's in all the tournys?

[quote name='Chance Furlong' timestamp='1351261255' post='6054214']
TBH, I haven't played Madolches that often to set a good "idea". Speculation wise, the deck should be Tire 2...but you're the only one I've played against so I have no opinion on them :S.
[/quote]
Welp, tbh since I also was more or less testing the deck for the first time the build wasn't particularly the most optimal it could be. Though the problems it has now and can build it properly. :)

Who knows, it could get tier 1 eventually.

[quote name='みゆきサン' timestamp='1351261365' post='6054216']
There's no way Drags can be Tier 1. They have too much Summoning Sickness. Maybe 2 at best.
[/quote]

Chaos Dragons have Pulsar and revolve around that to stay afloat. It's all the really need and they have enough Spell/Trap hate with 2 MSTs, 2 Dust Tornadoes, and 2 Night Beams to get by.

@DA - That could be true :o

Archived