League of Legends

Shrekstasy

Dude, I have to ask, since you're testing even my patience here: What is your funking problem, seriously?

Why are you so damn obsessed with belittling LoL with your every god damn breath? If you don't play it, fine. It shouldn't fracking matter to you nor should anyone who plays the god damn game. Is your ego so damn fragile you need to attack anything you can? Is that it? Or do you just get pleasure in flaunting your damn opinions all the time. You spout stuff like "DotA players are chill", then go and do the exact same opposite to what you're saying. Right now, you are being far more toxic than any LoL player I have EVER seen, and I've seen a lot of a toxic players. If you don't like LoL, funking FINE! Make or bump the DotA 2 thread in there so you can rave about it all the time. But stop funking posting in here with nothing but negative crap when you don't even play the funking game. You're as bad as the funking Westboro Babptist Church when it comes to ham-fisting your opinions into people's faces.

Or is this all because you're Shard, and you need to create drama and sheet on something? If that's the case, you're as bad as Yuuji, if not worse.

Uhh, I was actually legitimately questioning the reason why chromas were charged for in the first place. They barely count as skins, I honestly don't understand why they don't just reimburse those who bought them, and make one for each hero, giving them out at mastery level 5, 6 and 7. 5 for like, R G B alterations, 6 for a silver chroma, 7 for a gold or something. And I thought the general player opinion is that chromas are a bad cashgrab. That's why they were so unpopular that they stopped making them after about 8 heroes, from what I assumed.

Seems like a bit of a bad business model to charge $5 for a simple recolor into 3 basic colors. If it was more like, $5 for a chroma kit where you can customize the colors in RGB yourself, I could understand. There was no need to randomly blow up on me like that. I also figured Riot had a decently sized skin design team. Some of the stuff they put out is actually pretty nice. The Chinese New Year skins tend to be quality. I just don't like League's price point for skins and the fact it's not a player controlled system. And while skins are optional so many people own them and buy them that people tend to compulsively collect. Other games definitely have an advantage as far as that's concerned, I mean SMITE lets you buy basic skins with in-game currency, Dota 2's marketplace comes off your steam wallet which tends to be, if you're a PC gamer, pretty full until the sales come around and Gaben rapes your wallet again. Idk. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uhh, I was actually legitimately questioning the reason why chromas were charged for in the first place. They barely count as skins, I honestly don't understand why they don't just reimburse those who bought them, and make one for each hero, giving them out at mastery level 5, 6 and 7. 5 for like, R G B alterations, 6 for a silver chroma, 7 for a gold or something. And I thought the general player opinion is that chromas are a bad cashgrab. That's why they were so unpopular that they stopped making them after about 8 heroes, from what I assumed.

Seems like a bit of a bad business model to charge $5 for a simple recolor into 3 basic colors. If it was more like, $5 for a chroma kit where you can customize the colors in RGB yourself, I could understand. There was no need to randomly blow up on me like that. I also figured Riot had a decently sized skin design team. Some of the stuff they put out is actually pretty nice. The Chinese New Year skins tend to be quality. I just don't like League's price point for skins and the fact it's not a player controlled system. And while skins are optional so many people own them and buy them that people tend to compulsively collect. Other games definitely have an advantage as far as that's concerned, I mean SMITE lets you buy basic skins with in-game currency, Dota 2's marketplace comes off your steam wallet which tends to be, if you're a PC gamer, pretty full until the sales come around and Gaben rapes your wallet again. Idk. 

They're 2000 IP.  That's an in-game currency.

So right now is the Chroma sale going on, so you can get specific pre-6.16 chromas for either 2000 IP or 290 RP. I got Lucian Prime Blue.

Prime Blue and Prime Yellow are my favorites.  I kinda want Lee Sin's Dragon Fist Chroma too.

I mean, almost nobody liked that Chromas cost RP. Which is why alomost nobody bought them and Riot changed the model. Capitalism!

Anyway, now that the IP sale's on, I'm thinking of getting Bluecian and Pink Zac. I don't even play Zac, but I love the idea of being a giant pink blob running around so it's all worth it in the end.

Hmmm...

Masked Menaces and EU LCS Bundles are both tempting. So is Arcade Ahri. 

I would just jump the Retro Arcade Bundle if me not owning Hecarim and Riven was causing it to cost around 50$.

For 35$, which is the most I'm thinking right now, I can get 

High Noon Jhin

Shen

Warlord Shen

Viktor

Creator Viktor

Yasuo

Arcade Ahri

OR

Blood Moon Elise

Gnar

Gentleman Gnar

Rek'sai (who I have an Eternum permanent shard waiting for)

Pool Party Rek'sai

Vladimir

Soul Stealer Vlad

Trundle

That Trundle Skin

Then Yasuo or Yorick while they're on sale.

Which one do you think I should do? Both of them have some of the last 10 or so champions that seem appealing, as well as their coolest skins. And I don't really have a lane preference, so that's not really a factor.

(The ten champs are Yorick, Yasuo, Gnar, Trundle, Viktor, Rek'sai, Shen, Rengar, Darius, Karma. Maybe adding Ryze, but he's 450, so it's like a given.)

You have the Eternum shard for Rek'Sai? Dayum, I really want that skin. As for the bundles, isn't it Full Metal Viktor, not the Creator one?

It's Creator, thank god.

I went to my brother, and with his info, I'm probably going EU LCS.

Now, Arcade Ahri will wait a bit, and I'm debating getting Yorick or Yasuo.

Not sure why people worry so much about extra details like the client and skin colors. It doesn't add much to the game, not sure why they charge for it, but not sure why it matters at all. Extras are extras, yo. You can pay for them if they charge for them, but no need to complain if they do. 

As long as I can play the game without having some game breaking bugs (which aren't too common, but could be better), not sure what there is to complain about.

That being said, a better looking and smooth-running client is fully welcomed, and the upcoming client looks better. I don't need it to look good, I don't need extra things like coaching or replays or whatever. A sandbox couldn't hurt. But other than that, the rest is purely...extra.

Not sure why people worry so much about extra details like the client and skin colors. 

Because a good client is imperative to a fluent experience. If the client keeps crashing, it makes the whole game look unprofessional. Also coaching and replays are very important. Starcraft 1, released in 1999, had replays. Saying it's extra is not an excuse for Riot to refuse to implement an official replay client. Coaching is less important than replays, but it's still important for a game that advertises itself competitively. SC2 doesn't have direct coaching but because replays exist, it's easier to be coached rather than relying on League's awful spectator system. 

I also think that ranked should be Captain's Draft like it used to be. Team Captains should be the players with the highest MMR. Also just make the ranked system ELO based again, Leagues are terrible and nobody likes them and everyone thinks they're dumb. Or Pick Pick Ban Pick Ban Pick Ban Pick, rather than just banning before picks. Right now blue side still has an advantage in hero select because purple is forced to ban the stupid op heroes of the patch or blue will always get them. Obviously, part of the problem is that such picks exist but meh.

Picking order should be random, at least in bo1 matches like solo queue. Especially if you ban before picking, it just lets one team have 4 bans and the other only gets 2. But then again, solo queue is an unorganized mess in every game. Draft etiquette is almost non-existent. Which is a shame, because the ability to trade hero with someone makes League's pick stage actually superior to other MOBAs in most cases.  

Because a good client is imperative to a fluent experience. If the client keeps crashing, it makes the whole game look unprofessional. Also coaching and replays are very important. Starcraft 1, released in 1999, had replays. Saying it's extra is not an excuse for Riot to refuse to implement an official replay client. Coaching is less important than replays, but it's still important for a game that advertises itself competitively. SC2 doesn't have direct coaching but because replays exist, it's easier to be coached rather than relying on League's awful spectator system. 

I also think that ranked should be Captain's Draft like it used to be. Team Captains should be the players with the highest MMR. Also just make the ranked system ELO based again, Leagues are terrible and nobody likes them and everyone thinks they're dumb. Or Pick Pick Ban Pick Ban Pick Ban Pick, rather than just banning before picks. Right now blue side still has an advantage in hero select because purple is forced to ban the stupid op heroes of the patch or blue will always get them. Obviously, part of the problem is that such picks exist but meh.

Picking order should be random, at least in bo1 matches like solo queue. Especially if you ban before picking, it just lets one team have 4 bans and the other only gets 2. But then again, solo queue is an unorganized mess in every game. Draft etiquette is almost non-existent. Which is a shame, because the ability to trade hero with someone makes League's pick stage actually superior to other MOBAs in most cases.  

Literally all of this is years outdated.  I'll clarify a bit.

The reason Captain Draft isn't used is because of so many OTPs in higher levels of play.  And even when their pick gets banned, they may want to default to another role/champion that doesn't fit the Captain's wishes.  Then you cause a sheet storm among players for a rather petty reason.  Let people pick their own champions.  It's smoother.

And while I agree the ELO system is better, players are more well suited to the divisions system.  It's easier (for Riot and the average player) to place players or for players to be placed.  The rest of what you said was general over exaggeration, so I'll leave it alone.

As far as bans go, Riot just needs to add a fourth ban.  There are too many champions for there to be so few bans now.  But while blue side has a higher win rate, I wouldn't equate it to bans.  I'd equate it to picks and player skill (I mean, it is soloque).

Literally all of this is years outdated.  I'll clarify a bit.

The reason Captain Draft isn't used is because of so many OTPs in higher levels of play.  And even when their pick gets banned, they may want to default to another role/champion that doesn't fit the Captain's wishes.  Then you cause a sheet storm among players for a rather petty reason.  Let people pick their own champions.  It's smoother.

And while I agree the ELO system is better, players are more well suited to the divisions system.  It's easier (for Riot and the average player) to place players or for players to be placed.  The rest of what you said was general over exaggeration, so I'll leave it alone.

As far as bans go, Riot just needs to add a fourth ban.  There are too many champions for there to be so few bans now.  But while blue side has a higher win rate, I wouldn't equate it to bans.  I'd equate it to picks and player skill (I mean, it is soloque).

By Captain Draft I mean the captain bans the heroes, not picks the heroes for the team. Didn't explain that very well. Also, changing your pick system because people only play 1 champion is ridiculous. If you want to restrict yourself, that's not the game's problem. And also, blue side does have an advantage in picks, bans, and the map itself. The better players are placed on purple to try and accommodate, but blue side OP. Honestly, top lane and bot lane should be long lanes and that would solve the whole problem. Also the divisions system itself isn't the problem, the problem is Promotion Series is an awfully broken system. Beating players better than you to prove you are better than the people in your "league" makes no sense. The truth is that your MMR is higher than everyone else's so you're getting matched with better players.

Adding Ban No.4 doesn't solve the issue of Blue Side always getting to ban first. Each team could have 4 or 40 bans and it wouldn't matter because Blue always gets the first ban and first pick. Which means purple has to ban the stupid op picks, or blue gets them for free, so Purple has 4-1 bans even in a 4 ban system. This is of course, assuming the blue players aren't idiots, which they often are and just ban whatever they feel like.

By Captain Draft I mean the captain bans the heroes, not picks the heroes for the team. Didn't explain that very well. Also, changing your pick system because people only play 1 champion is ridiculous. If you want to restrict yourself, that's not the game's problem. And also, blue side does have an advantage in picks, bans, and the map itself. The better players are placed on purple to try and accommodate, but blue side OP. Honestly, top lane and bot lane should be long lanes and that would solve the whole problem. Also the divisions system itself isn't the problem, the problem is Promotion Series is an awfully broken system. Beating players better than you to prove you are better than the people in your "league" makes no sense. The truth is that your MMR is higher than everyone else's so you're getting matched with better players.

Adding Ban No.4 doesn't solve the issue of Blue Side always getting to ban first. Each team could have 4 or 40 bans and it wouldn't matter because Blue always gets the first ban and first pick. Which means purple has to ban the stupid op picks, or blue gets them for free, so Purple has 4-1 bans even in a 4 ban system. This is of course, assuming the blue players aren't idiots, which they often are and just ban whatever they feel like.

Typically in lower levels of play, Blue side will ban things they're afraid of, so it comes down to player skill in the end.  At this point in the state of the game, there are a number of strong, overwhelming champions.  And then there are champions which are more along the lines of, "I hate playing against this / flavor of the month".  And yes, promotion is funking toxic.

As far as OTPs go, I didn't mean that as a bad thing.  A lot of the top players are OTPs and it has helped them.  So you're right, it's not the game's fault.  I was implying that they got to high levels of play by being OTPs and using that single champion to their advantage.  But I do think if Captain had picks, OTPs wouldn't exist.  

The reason Top Lane is much longer is because of how much pressure it holds.  I'd guesstimate around 60%~ or more globals are centered around top lane.  Gangplank, Shen, Kled, and teleport, teleport, teleport.  And while you'll see some teleport summoners in mid-lane, top lane is longer because it doesn't have as many playable objectives as bot side does, prior to twenty minutes.  Unless you're playing purple side and you have a split pushing Tryndamere / Nasus / Yasuo / Master Yi pushed up to second tier tower before twenty minutes and snowballing ahead, you're not going to come out ahead in trades.  Around that time, teams are usually looking for dragons (prioritizing Fire, Mountain, and Cloud obviously).  So the trade tends to go in favor of bottom lane.  And with it being the shortest lane, there's much more pressure.

That pressure spreads if bottom lane is doing well for your team.  It gives top lane more incentive to use their globals and play around your bottom side.  That leads to dragon leads which a lot of the time translates into tower leads and wins games.  I think top lane being so long and bottom lane being so short are actually really important.  If they were equal length, I could see the decision making being more split and games being a bit more hectic, but objective play is really important for the state of the overall game.

What's the advantage of Captain's exactly? I fail to see how spreading out bans is an issue.

In competitive, purple side has an advantage for many teams in draft because you get to counterpick. Even in solo queue, that advantage exists to an extent. Also, while in theory it's a big advantage blue gets first shot at OPs, it's not that big of a deal in practice. I've seen the champs considered OP banned pretty equally on both sides because the fact is, it's solo queue and people don't think about what to ban beyond "X champion is borked." Plus it's pure luck the order players are picking, and people don't coordinate trades often in solo queue so there's a good chance purple has a player who can play the OP champ draft before blue. I guess what I'm getting at is that blue is highly favored on paper, but in practice the draft is pretty even. Now, it is true that blue side has a higher win rate overall, but I'd attribute that more to the map than the draft. That said, I would definitely not say no to some sort of snake draft.

I prefer the league system to ELO tbh, because having more concrete "steps" on the ladder is nice. I agree promotion series are imperfect, although there has been SOME improvement with the promo helper thing.

That pressure spreads if bottom lane is doing well for your team.  It gives top lane more incentive to use their globals and play around your bottom side.  That leads to dragon leads which a lot of the time translates into tower leads and wins games.  I think top lane being so long and bottom lane being so short are actually really important.  If they were equal length, I could see the decision making being more split and games being a bit more hectic, but objective play is really important for the state of the overall game.

No I mean Blue Top Lane having the turret further back and visa-versa for Purple, so the top side is safer for purple and bot is safer for blue

Also, I decided to randomly rework one of the few champions I enjoyed back when I used to play, just so you guys can get an idea of what type of design I actually like because you seem to assume I'm an unpleasable jabroni. Nobody can guess what my favourite dota heroes are

PASSIVE: Siphon Soul

Nasus steals the souls of enemies he kills. Each soul provides 1 Attack Damage and 0.5 Ability Power. If Nasus dies, he loses all his collected souls. If Nasus kills a hero, he gains 15 souls.

Q: Spirit Blast

Nasus releases 10 of his collected souls to blast an enemy with a blast of energy that inflicts damage based on the amount of souls Nasus has. Additionally, at level 4, it applies a slow. At level 5, it stuns the target and reduces their armour.

W: Ethereal Armour

Passively, Nasus gains resistance to Magic Damage and gains bonus tenacity. If Nasus is hit by a Magic Spell that deals damage over a certain threshold, Nasus gains bonus armour and magic resist for 10 seconds, but Ethereal Armour's passive is disabled. 

Passively, killing a unit provides an extra soul. At level 5, you receive two extra souls.

E: Soul Tear

Nasus tears the soul out of target unit, dealing massive pure damage based on it's remaining mana. If the target is a non-ancient neutral creep, Soul Tear automatically kills it and heals Nasus for a small amount. If Soul Tear kills it's target, Nasus heals based on it's remaining mana. 

R: Wrath of the Ancient Gods

Nasus channels, placing his staff into the ground where it releases his collected souls to deal AOE damage to enemies, and healing allies. Wrath of the Ancient Gods does not consume souls, but Nasus will not gain souls for enemy creep kills. 

So basically, you're promoting a purely tank playstyle with Nasus because of his passive pretty much covering the need for offensive items. Thereby making him an incredibly potent, tanky juggernaut that can still dish out tonnes of hurt with an attack that can deal true damage.

A couple issues with this in my eyes. First, it seems like it makes him really Feast or Famine, so to speak. Either you farm away and avoid every single gank, or you die to just one and you're useless for the next 5-10 minutes until you farm up. That also means if you die late game, when Nasus is supposed to be at this strongest, the game is basically over for you because you most likely won't be able to get enough minions before Baron/Elder Dragon spawns or a fight happens at an inhib. 

Plus, this doesn't feel that much like Nasus. Yeah, he's got infinite scaling (kinda), but beyond that he's very different. Nasus teamfighting is a huge juggernaut running around bashing half of people's HP bars away in one hit and lifestealing forever. With the ult you gave him, his teamfighting becomes "stand there and channel." Plus, Wither is an iconic ability and removing it is eeeeeeh.

As for individual abilities, I'm going to assume the Q has a long-duration stun and/or high damage because you need to give up a wave and a half worth of souls to cast it. I don't think there would ever be an ability in League like that, because this kind of "occasionally cast for high impact" thing isn't as big in LoL as Dota. Also, the E is wonky in League because some champions don't use mana. W is OK I guess except for the fact it's replacing Wither, and I've already mentioned my issue with the ult.

Basically, it seems like you took the champion and made him into a Dota hero who's only vaguely comparable. So you've proven you like Dota hero design more than LoL champ design... which we already knew.

I was really enjoying CLG vs IMT for a long time there, until I noticed a pattern emerge.

CLG got f***ed hard by Shen getting caught in a bug in one of their games.

They let Vladimir through bans 3 times. And lost. Every. Time.

Ekko as well.

Ekko and Vlad are absurdly unhealthy for the game. Especially when they do not even have to build in their respective stats to have damage and have an absurd amount of outs.

I counted almost ten times they had Ekko or Vlad down to 100 health to have them get away, land one ability, and get over half of their health back. Who thought that was a good idea to design? And even more so, to let through bans? For something like Tahm Kench...for god's sakes.

These characters are sore spots for me, lol. And to see champions like them be in LCS for so long is pretty gross.

Not to even mention in one game they had a Kassadin against Vlad. Vlad, with almost no damaging item aside from Rylai's, out traded Kass almost every single time. Kassadin's passive did not help enough.

Man. That was just sad to watch. 

Ekko has been hideous design from the get-go. I mean, who on the design team even thought it was a good idea to give a MAGE a percent health damage ability? That feature is the REASON why juggernauts can build just one damage item and the rest tankiness and STILL kick your ass. It's the reason why Tank Ekko could exist. Plus the fact that his ult heals for MORE depending on how much damage he took for a certain amount of time before he used it.

Also, Kassadin is really meh unless he gets enough kills and starts to snowball HARD, since he has really crappy AP ratios on his abilities. Plus Vlad can be pretty tanky now with his kit of constant sustain. It's no surprise that Vlad could easily out-trade Kass when Vlad had been reworked and Kass wasn't.

The series was really not decided by champs being "OP," though.

Look at game 5, for instance. IMT outplayed CLG hard in the first fight bottom lane. Xmithie randomly missed an Unburrow on Reignover while he (RO) was suppressed. Then CLG went too aggressive to defend their top turret, randomly walked in and died a bunch trying to defend it AGAIN, then just tried to make desperate plays because IMT had snowballed ludicrously far ahead. That was IMT capitalizing on mistakes to build an insurmountable lead, not Vlad running over CLG randomly. 

Plus, look at how the laning phase generally went. Darshan played Shen every game, which isn't a hard matchup for Ekko, especially if you're as good as Huni. They either went even, or Huni won, every game. Huni was up like 50 CS by the end of most of the games. Midlane, Pobelter was outfarming Huhi pretty much every game. I'm not sure if that was due to Huhi roaming more, or just being less skilled, but regardless, POB got leads most of the time. Basically, the point I'm making here is that Huni and Pobelter were ahead of their respective opponents a lot, which makes them look good no matter what champ they're playing. 

As for the other stuff, Kass is sheet at trading early against anyone who can deal reasonable amounts of damage, so I'd expect him to lose to a Vlad, and almost anyone else, especially at the LCS level. CLG banned Tahm all 5 games, so I'm guessing they know something we don't. Zikz is good at drafting, I doubt they'd keep using that ban if they didn't think Adrian was good enough to warrant it, or something. Plus let's be real here, if TK got through and Adrian did remotely well with it, people would be complaining about Tahm W being OP and wondering why CLG stopped banning him... Oh, and the minion block was preeeeetty unfortunate. I don't think it decided the game because Immortals played hella well in the mid game, but yeah that sucked.

Archived