RP&D: Roleplay and Development

Aix

Is this aimed at me or have I completely missed something in the posts beforehand?

I already planned on having the characters they play being pre-made in the rp itself anyway.

No I was refering to what I said earlier that Jake quoted.

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, scratch what I said before, but how about this: You know I was thinking most RPs the characters themselves are not at all plot-relevant, it's done like that so players would not interfere so much with the plot. I was thinking, we can make the characters before we make the RP. How about that? So what if all characters were important, like maybe they are the supreme dictator's daughter or maybe the last living elf or they have some extremely crucial power and then we can make a plot that fits all of those in. One plot. I dislike multiple plots because it gets chaotic.

Just... think of a character you'd really like to play and post the important bits about him/her/it here.

If it doesn't work out, at least it'll be a nice brainstorming exercise for us all.

Also again, what sort of genre you want and shiz like that.

Hah , that'd be interesting, having the players having some say in their roles in the greater scheme of things.

Might be better to start off with not only a genre, but a very basic plot. For example, having a modern tale where characters are sent off to foil a kidnapping, but the kidnapping has a more sinister purpose to it. That way, we could tie the characters to the plot, instead of loosely latching on to whatever.

Might be better to start off with not only a genre, but a very basic plot. For example, having a modern tale where characters are sent off to foil a kidnapping, but the kidnapping has a more sinister purpose to it. That way, we could tie the characters to the plot, instead of loosely latching on to whatever.

Yeah, okay.

So interest check for any of the following:

- Characters are sent off to foil a kidnapping, but the kidnapping has a more sinister purpose to it.

- Characters are the reincarnation of people of some myth or legend (suggestions? Or we could make our own legend) and history is destined to repeat, however, the characters try to fight against their predetermined fate.

- Characters are finding this person for different reasons. Doesn't have to be a race to find him/her.

- Characters are targeted for assassination. Each has a different reason they are being targeted.

- Typical giant war, any genre. This one has the greatest freedom for characters. Characters are one way involved or another in the grand scheme of things and miraculously end up together.

- Feel free to add suggestions.

I personally like the last three. If I must choose, I will go with the war.

Basically, we choose one of these plots and create our characters before fleshing the RP itself out.

I like the idea of creating a group of characters and then creating an RP that surrounds them. It would definitely make for a smoother progression throughout the roleplay. For those of you who don't know, although most of you are already involved or I have caught you looking *cough**encapturer**cough* I have started a new RP, titled The X Class. A link can be found in my sig. I want as many applicants as possible. There are a good number of characters that are needed, so if you are looking to play a central character, there are plenty of opportunities to do so.  If there is anyone willing to make me a logo-banner-thing for the RP, I would be much appreciative. Xel has already expressed interest in doing as such, but I understand when things start to pile up, so it is still an open offer until I have one. There is a request in the Graphic Request section if you are interested.

I have also been mulling over some more RP ideas, although I probably have enough on my plate at the moment...

Another Crossover RP, similar to The Hunger Games. The best warriors have been gathered, taken from their universe and placed in an arena to determine who is truly the best. Now some of the warriors relish the thought of being crowned the ultimate hero, while others find the game sickening. The puppeteer for such a game is a mysterious figure. The only way out of the arena is to kill the game master or be the last hero left standing.

Now for this 'crossover RP' it is encouraged to make your own character, but said character can be from any universe. So for example, I could have someone wielding an Omnitrix. Applicants would be put into teams and the team with the last character left standing would win. I thought that maybe we could turn it into some kind of tournament style RP. Where we would have everyone post and then after everyone posted, there would be a vote on who made the worst post and then that character would be killed off in the next round. Theoretically, the best RPer should be left standing. It is just an idea, but maybe one that deserves some thought.

As the heroes discussed and rambled about current and future Role Plays that they were, or were going to be, apart of; something strange had floated through the air close to the group. They made ready to pounce, but it was just a harmless paper airplane that landed perfectly within the middle of the group and unfolded itself so it could be read.

"My fellow Appreciators of the Role Playing Arts,

good day!

I have written this letter to inform you that I have an interest in joining your forum. Although I must warn you that I haven't much time for any more Role Playing then I am currently involved within. However, my posting here should be fairly regular and constructive. Now, I know what you're thinking: "If he didn't have much time to begin with, why did he take the time to write this post and make this process so much more than just an application." Well my friends, I have no explanation other than saying that's just the sort of thing that I do when I do these things.

Orevwa for now,
FFR"

It seemed the heroes now had a decision to make, would they allow this new and strange person to join their organization, or would they simply let him stand on the cliffs above; narrating their lives for the rest of his own.

~~

Oh, and here's the application...

Final Fantasy Revolution

Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: I favor Role Plays that are interesting and original; something that isn't based off of an anime or a manga. However, I will join those types if I can add a character that will put a new spin on old ways. Basically, I'll join almost anything if I am allowed to make the character I have in mind for that particular Role Play.

Preferred Character Type: Cold and mysterious usually, however, I'm growing attached to characters who are just completely and ridiculously insane recently. I could probably play almost anything as long as I'm having a good time.

Skills: I've been around this site fairly long and have Role Played my fair share of Role Plays and have done so with some of the members here. I've worked well with most but some have disliked my style in the past but everyone is entitled to their own opinion and no one is perfect so I have no regrets here. My hosting abilities are good, the story I weave has always been acceptable but the frequency in which I can weave said story has always been trouble. A job will do that to a man. Anyway, if you can accept my cons with my pros, I'll deliver my best every time.

Mkay, so here's a fantasy RP I want some of the characters created before I start as well as some help with.

The main character, played by me, is a person who was born with the birthmark of a Hero, meaning he has tremendous potential and is taken away to be trained from a very young age to fight so that when the world is in supernatural danger, he can step up and defend it.

Now a prophecy was made that described a being with incredible power, called the Most Wretched One, who's goal is to destroy the world and the main character was sent to take care of it. The Most Wretched One has no memories and only basic knowledge of the world, he simply was born, created by some unknown entity, with the thought "Destroy the world". However, rather than trying to slay the Most Wretched One, our Hero instead asks why it is going to destroy the world. The Most Wretched One replies with the only other thought it was given "the world is ugly beyond repair" and the Hero decides that he will try to prove to him that the world is not such a horrible place. The Most Wretched One agrees, realizing that it is unreasonable to destroy the world without seeing it first, and takes a human form to become the Hero's companion.

Now proving the world is not ugly can be quite the hard task. In the part of the world they are in, slavery is allowed and perfectly accepted as an essential part of society. A very bloody war has started, the Holy Empire (okay, I need a better name) is invading the small, but powerful country of Endor because they, and their religion, abolished magic whereas the people of Endor are naturally born with magical talent, the ability is passed down by blood. Bloodshed and suffering ensues. The Hero decides that he will try to stop this war to stop the Most Wretched One from needing to destroy the world.

I will need someone to play the Most Wretched One. The other characters can be anyone, I do have an idea for a character background that will be heavily plot involved if anyone wants.

Also, anyone willing to be co-host?

Playing someone like MWO would be interesting for sure, and the plot seems straightforward enough...

Eh, I might have time. Haven't explicitly co-hosted an RP on this site before... what do you need help with?

Just helping with the plot progression and what should happen... I'm horrible at planning and I see other hosts who plan multiple endings and stuff. I would be able to think it out as we go and I have a general idea of what's happening, but I'd feel better if someone else helped with it.

I like the idea of creating a group of characters and then creating an RP that surrounds them. It would definitely make for a smoother progression throughout the roleplay. For those of you who don't know, although most of you are already involved or I have caught you looking *cough**encapturer**cough* I have started a new RP, titled The X Class. A link can be found in my sig. I want as many applicants as possible. There are a good number of characters that are needed, so if you are looking to play a central character, there are plenty of opportunities to do so. If there is anyone willing to make me a logo-banner-thing for the RP, I would be much appreciative. Xel has already expressed interest in doing as such, but I understand when things start to pile up, so it is still an open offer until I have one. There is a request in the Graphic Request section if you are interested.

I have also been mulling over some more RP ideas, although I probably have enough on my plate at the moment...

Another Crossover RP, similar to The Hunger Games. The best warriors have been gathered, taken from their universe and placed in an arena to determine who is truly the best. Now some of the warriors relish the thought of being crowned the ultimate hero, while others find the game sickening. The puppeteer for such a game is a mysterious figure. The only way out of the arena is to kill the game master or be the last hero left standing.

Now for this 'crossover RP' it is encouraged to make your own character, but said character can be from any universe. So for example, I could have someone wielding an Omnitrix. Applicants would be put into teams and the team with the last character left standing would win. I thought that maybe we could turn it into some kind of tournament style RP. Where we would have everyone post and then after everyone posted, there would be a vote on who made the worst post and then that character would be killed off in the next round. Theoretically, the best RPer should be left standing. It is just an idea, but maybe one that deserves some thought.

I think sticking to murdering each other sounds better.

Anyone here heard of Hyperdimension Neptunia? I'm thinking of an RP with the exact same concepts as it. It occurs in the same universe, but a different land known as Intraweb(still thinking of something better).

The Guardians of Intraweb(represented by OSes) have been overthrown by the evil tyrant known as Worm. They had their shares completely drained from them, turning Intraweb into Worm's dominion, and making the Guardians powerless...

However, the Guardians have taken the shape of humans and are now trying to regain their old forms to defeat Worm.

[hr]

I'm still working on it.

Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: Casual roleplay settings for character development. I've heard them referred to as sandbox rp's? I also like [s]swords, sword-chucks, sword-sword-sworditty[/s] Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and ACtion/Adventure type roleplays.
Preferred Character Type: The type of character I play is usually the social type, with varitions that go from calm and analytical, to energetic and rushing straight into things.
Skills: I can give crit on rp development, plot, writing, characters, what-have-you. Some might disagree with me, but meh, that's them.

Additionally, I would like to add that it's great to see something like this again. I hope that it's as fun a place as I am thinking it might be. :)

Mkay, so here's a fantasy RP I want some of the characters created before I start as well as some help with.

The main character, played by me, is a person who was born with the birthmark of a Hero, meaning he has tremendous potential and is taken away to be trained from a very young age to fight so that when the world is in supernatural danger, he can step up and defend it.

Now a prophecy was made that described a being with incredible power, called the Most Wretched One, who's goal is to destroy the world and the main character was sent to take care of it. The Most Wretched One has no memories and only basic knowledge of the world, he simply was born, created by some unknown entity, with the thought "Destroy the world". However, rather than trying to slay the Most Wretched One, our Hero instead asks why it is going to destroy the world. The Most Wretched One replies with the only other thought it was given "the world is ugly beyond repair" and the Hero decides that he will try to prove to him that the world is not such a horrible place. The Most Wretched One agrees, realizing that it is unreasonable to destroy the world without seeing it first, and takes a human form to become the Hero's companion.

Now proving the world is not ugly can be quite the hard task. In the part of the world they are in, slavery is allowed and perfectly accepted as an essential part of society. A very bloody war has started, the Holy Empire (okay, I need a better name) is invading the small, but powerful country of Endor because they, and their religion, abolished magic whereas the people of Endor are naturally born with magical talent, the ability is passed down by blood. Bloodshed and suffering ensues. The Hero decides that he will try to stop this war to stop the Most Wretched One from needing to destroy the world.

I will need someone to play the Most Wretched One. The other characters can be anyone, I do have an idea for a character background that will be heavily plot involved if anyone wants.

Also, anyone willing to be co-host?

Okay so this sounds like 5 different manga I've read, just putting that out there.

Anyway it isn't that bad of an idea, but the MWO role feels kinda...overdone.

Also Endor needs a name change otherwise I will demand all residents have Star Wars related names as well. That and the national animal be Ewoks.

Multiloquent
Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: Medieval Fantasy; Dragons and Wizards.
Preferred Character Type: Usually an arrogant character that likes to argue with others for the sake of arguing.
Skills: I am quite good at articulating what I need to say and can come up with ideas easily.

Hey, I've only just came back to ycm, and the last time was years ago, had an account, made some cards, did some splicing actually, and of course some minor RP.. Anyways, I'd love to be a part of this, even if just a little :)

[spoiler=Application]

TehTeaKing
Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: Fantasy/serious  (I do remember being in a zombie apocolypse rp, and a pokemon rp long ago, those were quite good :) Also, preferably not any based on any anime/story/thing I've never encountered, because I'd just be useless really XD)
Preferred Character Type: Would have to be serious, quiet one, but don't get me wrong, love, passion, and care this guy can feel for his friends and loved ones is present also :P
Skills: I'll try throw in some ideas if I can, I've heard I'm alright at "creative writing", have composed many poems in the past. Yeah at this point I don't really know where I'm heading, but I'll figure it out, with some guidance of course ^-^[/spoiler]

And here I am with another RP idea, I guess. Basically, teens are invited to a very prestigious academy for no apparent reason (or you could have one of your own). As it turns out, it was a trap (surprise, surprise). At any rate, at the opening ceremony it is announced that some of the students are vampires out to hunt the humans. However, there is no physical difference between humans and vampires.

I'm still thinking whether humans or vampires should form the majority or the student body.

Anyway, anyone interested?

Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: Casual roleplay settings for character development. I've heard them referred to as sandbox rp's? I also like swords, sword-chucks, sword-sword-sworditty Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and ACtion/Adventure type roleplays.
Preferred Character Type: The type of character I play is usually the social type, with varitions that go from calm and analytical, to energetic and rushing straight into things.
Skills: I can give crit on rp development, plot, writing, characters, what-have-you. Some might disagree with me, but meh, that's them.

Additionally, I would like to add that it's great to see something like this again. I hope that it's as fun a place as I am thinking it might be. :)

^ This was posted a week or more ago. Could I please have someone give me the yay/nay as to acceptance?

^ This was posted a week or more ago. Could I please have someone give me the yay/nay as to acceptance?

Ah, I already added you. Sorry, I just add them when I see them.

Everyone is free to post after they've submitted an app unless I specifically say so.

And here I am with another RP idea, I guess. Basically, teens are invited to a very prestigious academy for no apparent reason (or you could have one of your own). As it turns out, it was a trap (surprise, surprise). At any rate, at the opening ceremony it is announced that some of the students are vampires out to hunt the humans. However, there is no physical difference between humans and vampires.

I'm still thinking whether humans or vampires should form the majority or the student body.

Anyway, anyone interested?

I believe someone did something like that before. The vampires were hunting the humans and the humans were trying to figure out which players were the vampires. No one knew who was what so it made it kind of a mystery game.

It could be interesting, but I don't really have enough information to form an opinion on it yet.

Are the humans just normal humans?

Are there any powers other than being a vampire?

What kind of equipment would be there?

Is there a specific location of the world that this would take place in, or is it someplace in somewhere that is created by the author?

What other supernatural forces exist in the world can be up for discussion though the participants themselves will be ordinary humans because the Academy only invited ordinary people. I've decided that there will be only a few vampires and it'll be like a mystery RP which will eventually turn into a survival RP as the vampires gather thralls.

I believe someone did something like that before. The vampires were hunting the humans and the humans were trying to figure out which players were the vampires. No one knew who was what so it made it kind of a mystery game.

What other supernatural forces exist in the world can be up for discussion though the participants themselves will be ordinary humans because the Academy only invited ordinary people. I've decided that there will be only a few vampires and it'll be like a mystery RP which will eventually turn into a survival RP as the vampires gather thralls.

If it's going to be like that, then it sounds like something I'd really, really, REALLY love to join. It would be refreshing change from the usual RP that actually challenges the players to think. I approve. I definitely approve. For it to work, I assume that all applications would have to be submitted by PM, and humans should form the majority of the student body, but they should slowly disappear over time and narrow everything down. Don't make it hopeless by putting everyone into what's essentially an Attack on Titan situation.

And since it's an academy, will the lessons continue even though the whole vampire deal is going on? Or will everyone start running, screaming, and banding together at once, hiding in the building rooms from day to night?

Yes, lessons will continue. As well, new lessons will pop up, such as how to combat vampires and such even though the faculty themselves are vampires (though they will take no part in the hunt and will only fight if attacked first).

Though I'm thinking whether those hunted should die or become vampiric thralls. Or maybe as they are dying they are given the choice.

Now guys, what do you think of magic in this RP?

My input would be that when they die, they also become a vampire, but before they die they leave a note behind giving a clue as to who killed them. 

How does that work?

Anyway, unless anyone has a better idea, here's how it'll work. After bitten one will feel dizzy and slowly lose consciousness, unless they are already unconscious. They will stay unconscious for a full 24 hours before waking up feeling perfectly fine, except their senses will be sharper and they may feel quite thirsty or have the urges to grab someone. They have now become a vampiric thrall and must drink blood approximately 2.2 litres (approximately 4.6 pints) of blood every 24 hours or they feel really bad and start losing control. The vampire that bites the thrall is capable of utterly controlling the thrall, as well as modifying their thoughts and memories and seeing and hearing through their thralls' senses whenever they want. Killing the master vampire releases the curse on the thrall and they will be cured of their urges over the course of a week.

Becoming a true vampire requires some blood ritual. I'll start working on the OoC now, if anyone has any ideas, please pitch in.

Archived