RP&D: Roleplay and Development

Aix

I've done such tactics-and-stat RPs in the past (not on a dedicated site, though), and would love to be involved in one.

Most people here seem to prefer free-form RPs almost exclusively, though, so no idea how well one would go on this site.

Speaking of short RPs, an idea I've been throwing around in my head centers around a mercenary guild in a fantasy world that took on various jobs.  Basically, each player would make characters, but they would also have the ability to create 'missions', which would essentially be short RPs involving the guild members.  Not every member would participate in each job, so there could be multiple jobs running at the same time.  There could be a meta-plot as well, something tying certain missions together as well, though I have no idea if this would interest people at all...

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've done such tactics-and-stat RPs in the past (not on a dedicated site, though), and would love to be involved in one.

Most people here seem to prefer free-form RPs almost exclusively, though, so no idea how well one would go on this site.

Speaking of short RPs, an idea I've been throwing around in my head centers around a mercenary guild in a fantasy world that took on various jobs.  Basically, each player would make characters, but they would also have the ability to create 'missions', which would essentially be short RPs involving the guild members.  Not every member would participate in each job, so there could be multiple jobs running at the same time.  There could be a meta-plot as well, something tying certain missions together as well, though I have no idea if this would interest people at all...

Sounds exactly a lot like Fairy Tail to me, just with a different world and combat.

Maybe.

You know, that's just the thing that I was thinking of.

Sounds exactly a lot like Fairy Tail to me, just with a different world and combat.

Maybe.

Hah

I'm actually participating the currently active Fairy Tail RP on this site.  When we got to pick our first official guild mission, I was estatic.  Then it turned out that it was more of a vote on what mission all the PCs were going to participate in, haha.

Putting the RP in an established universe might help, but I don't want to lockout potential mission-makers due to unfamiliarity with whatever continuity I choose.

Anyway, Short RP idea, going to ask you guys for more ideas. In a rustic little medieval village, a boy and his friends are given magical beans and when his mommy throws them out the window, it grows into a beanstalk that connects to the Realm of Giants...

The point is that the giants will eventually find out as with the original story and it's going to be up to the PCs to escape and stop them from descending into the human world. Short and sweet.

So, would anyone be willing to help me develop my Fire Emblem roleplay?  Like encapturer said, there's going to be a hub, and then missions with statistics and the like.

PM me if you want to help out.

PLOT = = = = = = = = = =

Fire Emblem

========================================

Ascendance

==================================

Warning.  Before you play this RPG, please make sure you are comfortable with spoiling the plot of Fire Emblem:  Awakening.  As the plot of that game is pivotal to the plot of this game, many of the plot elements will be reused.

[spoiler=Spoiler Alert]

- General Assumptions of Plot Coherence-

----------------------------------------------------------

For this roleplay, we will assume that none of the characters, bar a select few  (Gregor, Basilio, Ricken) will have died during the course of the game.

Also:  The Avatar, the unit you create during Fire Emblem: Awakening, is assumed to have been female so that Morgan and Lucina will have been siblings for plot reasons.  This makes the Avatar the queen of Ylisse, along with Chrom being the king.

=PLOT=

Fifteen years have passed since the Fell Dragon, Grima, was slain by the hands of his very own avatar;  the world has had a long, successful peace, with all nations living in harmony.  King Chrom and Queen Robin act as the de facto world leaders, mostly through fealty of all other nations.  As the two who saved the world, they were catapulted to sainthood.  Princess Lucina and Prince Morgan, having grown up ( sixteen and fourteen, respectively), are now the acting leaders of the ever-bored Shepherds.  Frederick, their mentor, acts as a guiding hand in all of their actions, though Morgan, being a master tactician no thanks to his Mother, needs little of his help.

Our story begins with Morgan and Lucina now patrolling the border of what once was the 'Table';  now the gravesite of the dead dragon Grima.  Their patrol group is a very tightly nit one;  the children from the heroes of Grima all were named Shepherds at birth, and as such knew each other quite well.

On the patrol, Morgan came across an old, dusty tome, unmarked and worn by time and sand.  Being the knowledge-pursuing child that he is, he kept it for himself, eventually taking it back to his mother at the capital.  Through research, she found that the tome had prophesized the whole Grima event itself - and even a little more.

"The two gods shall intertwine, and from them, the fruits of chaos."

Brushing this off as some Grimleal babbling, the old tome was put away, marked as a heretical Grimleal text written most likely as a joke within the last fifteen years to parody their own failure and give hope to a new rise in their own god, who was now dead - though some say that he lived on...

[/spoiler]

Well, since everyone is ignoring me, I'll just bring up my concept on what I call a universal combat system.

First off, what is the MOST common thing you see in combat? One person attempts to land a hit on his/her opponent, while the opponent attempts to dodge that very attack (and vice-versa). You know what that is called? Strike & Evade. Those are what makes up 50% of my concept of combat. The other 50% is the real meat and potatoes of this combat system.

Who's ever heard of Random.com? Well, it's basic function is to generate truly random numbers. Now you're wondering what I'm getting at? Here's the idea: You would use the radom number generator to determine if an attack connects, an evasion is successful, etc. The intervals would be 0-20 (0 being the lowest set number to get and 20 being the highest). You would then split the intervals into multiple sections (Each being a different result of the action being done). So here's the possibilities for both actions:

Strike

0-3: Completely miss the attack and give opponent a chance to counter-attack.
4-10: Chance to connect attack with any set of Damage (Reliant on opponent's chances with Evade).
11-17: Chance to inflict minor to normal damage.
18-20: Chance to inflict Critical damage.

Evade

0-3: Miss attempt to dodge and get inflicted whatever chance of damage set by opponent.
4-10: Dodge slightly to receive a small reduction on overall damage.
11-17: Dodge barely at the right time to receive a major reduction in damage.
18-20: Dodge completely, allowing for an immediate counter-attack (This is the only time where you would use the generator twice in one post. Also, a counter-attack cannot be evaded. It is a chance for an opponent to inflict preemptive damage followed with a switch-around of both players' reactions).

By "Strike", it mainly prefers to any known attack to inflict forms of damage. Basically, it can be physical attacks to attacks created by special abilities meant to inflict physical damage. Now, "Evade" is the opposite but uses the same concept. If you can dodge an attack physically, that's great. But you can also rely on abilities that do the same, such as teleportation. And how this is universal in combinations is because you can choose how low and high to go in numbers and set up how many sub-reactions to have and most likely make combat more interesting. Instead of choosing what to do and be confused, it can be chosen for you, making the feel of combat more unpredictable.

What do you guys think? And before you ask, this concept made an old RP I did a long time ago go very far. So, it works very well for those who wanna keep guessing on who will win in what battle. Thoughts?

Easy. The gamesmaster controls the rolls and posts results.

I wasn't thinking of that, but that solves the problem. Well, instead of posting the results, the ones who are battling would individually be PMed their first result, then they would post, and rinse and repeat. And there would have to be one battle at a time to prevent confusion and clutter.

I wasn't thinking of that, but that solves the problem. Well, instead of posting the results, the ones who are battling would individually be PMed their first result, then they would post, and rinse and repeat. And there would have to be one battle at a time to prevent confusion and clutter.

That would be an incredible amount of PMs for a single battle, if you'd have to do it for every single attack attempt. Also considering that some people are not capable of being on at the same time the length that it would require people to complete a single battle would be astounding . . . and people already complain about how long it takes to finish a role play or even just a single arch.

If you really want statistics give people options and then limit the amount of "points" a characters has total. So if you have, say 36, you have to spread them out amongst the entire statistics. This would make it so that you'd be forced to be stronger in some areas while weaker in others.

Honestly, I'd figure you'd only need to roll once for the entire encounter. (or maybe two or three, if its suitably epic)

In my most recent RP that failed to get off the ground, one of the planned ideas was to have stats and skills; the stats would be publically visible and were a gauge on how well one would perform against another, and skills would only be known to the GM and the character's player, and could be invoked in challenges.  Then you'd have to choose if you'd want to burn a skill charge or not in whatever encounter you're in.

I eventually scrapped it and went a different path, but I still think an RP like this would be pretty cool.

Are you going to link endorsed roleplays?  I noticed a lot of members from this have joined your new school roleplay.

Only linking collab RPs here, which reminds me that we haven't gotten a single one here off the ground yet.

So back to fantasy cuz evidently it's the most popular and cuz it's classic. Suggestions for a overall plot/theme/concept and/or setting?

Junichirou Kagami
Preferred Roleplay Genres/Types: All of the Above
Preferred Character Type: No preference, usually whatever I feel the RP needs/lacks or whatever type I'm obsessed with at the time
Skills: I'm good at plot development as well as character analysis. I'm a capable host/co-host, as well as expanding on plots and backstories. I can help point out plotholes and such as well.

So back to fantasy cuz evidently it's the most popular and cuz it's classic. Suggestions for a overall plot/theme/concept and/or setting?

Maybe a Modern Fantasy. With craploads of myths in the modern world.

Or some school.
And there's the occult club.
Everyone in the occult club
Is actually
Some sort of supernatural.

They go on actual excursions and kick actual ass.
Tada.

Alright, I've started preparation for the Grand Crossover RP. I'm going to have to report that while it will have card games, it's not going to be Yugioh-focused. I'm truly sorry for that, TFF, but the differences in power levels aren't as extreme as you make them out to be. TBH, I think it'd be harder to balance with card games than without.

Oh, and here's the banner:

qc1t.png

BOW DOWN BEFORE MY GLORIOUS GIMP SKILLS.

...Could've sworn it was bigger. Oh well.

Thread should be up pretty soon.

Nuuuuuu

;-;

WHY CARD GAMES.

WHY.

I should get to make like the logo for you and become a co-host. *shot repeatedly*

The last time I had a co-host, he drove the plot in a completely different direction and caused more chaos than was worth~

And I think you misread that~ there WON'T be card games. There'll be fighting, combat, and stuff like that. Card games will exist, and Yu-Gi-Oh users should be able to use their cards (so they can summon monsters to fight for them and support their friends with spells and traps, like that), but it won't be card-focused. ^_^

Alright guys, I have been gone for much too long and I feel as if I have let this small community down by not staying true to my end of the bargain. So I return, and I am willing to help with anything that needs help, if I am able to do so. I am also planning to start another RP, that I hope draws the attention of just about every RPer out there. I don't have anything super solid on it yet, and it has really just come to earlier today, but I find that it would be fun today and definitely an interesting project to undertake.

In this RP you play as a monster featured in Yu-Gi-Oh! The world known as Kado(could be subject to change) is everything we would expect from a world depicted within the world of our favorite, or maybe not-so-favorite, card game. The settings will take place in the field spell cards and what not. To clarify, there will not actually be any card games involved here, only the use of monsters, spells, weapons, etc. featured within the card game. Any comments, questions, and/or suggestions are appreciated. I may or may not take a co-host, still deciding on that. 

Alright, I've started preparation for the Grand Crossover RP. I'm going to have to report that while it will have card games, it's not going to be Yugioh-focused. I'm truly sorry for that, TFF, but the differences in power levels aren't as extreme as you make them out to be. TBH, I think it'd be harder to balance with card games than without.

Oh, and here's the banner:

qc1t.png

BOW DOWN BEFORE MY GLORIOUS GIMP SKILLS.

...Could've sworn it was bigger. Oh well.

Thread should be up pretty soon.

Card games you say? Heh, when I find time to finish my set with effects and what not...perhaps I'll use it in this RP =3

Archived