Pokemon XY&Z

I don't have a problem with him losing to Alain as he's gotten developed enough and actually matters in XY (and was a very close battle; a good one at that), but yeah, you'd think he'd at least win an actual league by now. Gen 4 was close (and really should've been runner-up as the actual guy who got that was 6-0 swept by Tobias and couldn't kill anything; Ash at least managed to kill 2, albeit fainting at the end).

Quite a few people didn't have a problem with him losing to Alain, in fact out of all the people Ash has lost to at the leagues, Alain is the best (as we saw him develop throughout the series). Kotetsu was a noob. Trollbias was a troll, Tyson and Harrison were intro'd before the league and Ritchie technically didn't kill all of Ash's mons.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite a few people didn't have a problem with him losing to Alain, in fact out of all the people Ash has lost to at the leagues, Alain is the best (as we saw him develop throughout the series). Kotetsu was a noob. Trollbias was a troll, Tyson and Harrison were intro'd before the league and Ritchie technically didn't kill all of Ash's mons.

You wouldn't know that by the reaction. People seem SUPER salty that he lost. Honestly, I think it just shows how good the writing was that so many people felt Ash could win when everything should have been telling us that it likely won't be the case.

Ash is a good protagonist. Honestly, outside of BW he has constantly shown growth through the series.

I actually agree with Astro. The point of the different companions is to allow for that variety. Not to mention we got Alain this gen and I could see them doing more with a second character's story and having it fold into the main series. It worked really well here imo.

Thanks Flame.

Rule #1: We don't talk about Best Wishes.

True, though quite a few people think that Ash should be replaced, but ofc they know it's never gonna happen, but hope for it regardless.

Anywho;

[spoiler=Illuminati moment]

Clemont is the gym leader of Lumiose City

Lumiose City is where the Kalos League took place

The winner of the Kalos League is Alain

Alain's VA also voices Sakaki Yuya in Arc-V

Sakaki Yuya's english VA also voices Clemont

Therefore Clemont is the actual winner of the Lumiose conference

Illuminati confirmed.

Freaky.

Wulfric dub is today. I'm probably the only one excited.

Wulfric is voiced by 

• Michael Alston Baley

You may remember him as Saladin from the 4kids version of Winx Club, Odion from Yugioh, and Crasher Wake from Pokemon DP.

You wouldn't know that by the reaction. People seem SUPER salty that he lost. Honestly, I think it just shows how good the writing was that so many people felt Ash could win when everything should have been telling us that it likely won't be the case.

Oh I know how salty people were. I watched the episode livestreamed on YT, and as I said on the previous page, I saw the word funk posted at least 1000 times.

Freaky.

ikr

8| Wow.

Anyway, Carrie's VA is Nicole Wood. Now for the review of Gym Leader English VA's so far:

Viola: Lori Gardner

Grant: Cory Willis

Korrina: Lisa Ortiz

Ramos: Anthony Salerno

Clemont: Michael Liscio Jr.

Valerie: Kate Bristol

And now Olympia's English VA. is...

Catrin Lloyd Bollard

Oh and Malva's English va is Samara Naeymi

After Ash's battle with Olympia and Team Flare all that's left is Wulfric. I just hope Dan Green voices the guy.

All right, last time with this:

Viola: Lori Gardner

Grant: Cory Willis

Korrina: Lisa Ortiz

Ramos: Anthony Salerno

Clemont: Michael Liscio Jr.

Valerie: Kate Bristol

Olympia: Catrin Lloyd Bollard

And now Wulfric: Michael Alston Baley

The role fits. Reminds us of Crasher Wake.

And the Illuminati thing, ybr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkDBCBiFsMs

if y'all want to see how salty people get.

It's just the next episode preview video from tvtokyo but it has a like:dislike ratio of 1:51, and view:dislike ratio of almost 5:1.

from the 270k views there's 51k dislikes.

Not even federation force gets this bad when it comes to statistics.

Catching up on the league and don't have much to add past what I said before. The battles have all been amazing and its really cool seeing some of the tactics Ash uses.

I will comment on the 2nd part of the Shota fight though. The way Shota is like, "no one would try to disrupt King Shield like you did" and Ash is just like "really? well I trusted that Pikachu could do it" was great. As was the bit between the two before the climax. Shota doesn't seem to count he win he had since he knew that wasn't Ash at his best and we got more insight into what happened with that lose.

Also, dat ship. Seriously, several seconds just holding on Serena's face while Clemont is talking. Man, they better making the conclusion to that satisfying if she doesn't stay around.

As for the breather episode. Really curious what Lysandre's plans are since his saying "meet me after the finals" when he knows his plans go into effect then is really interesting. Also neat seeing more of Alan's motivation. Honestly, I'm just really excited for the Flare arc since this episode more than anything shows how many characters are going to end up playing a role in it. Also, the episode was just really good in setting up that and the finals.

Looking at the preview for Thursday, yeah, people are really salty about Ash losing. 355k views (give/take a few hundred) and more than 60K dislikes; could be the same people repeatedly disliking. It will be a good arc though; interested in what happens over the next couple weeks. At some point in time, Ash and Alain will have to fight again if the opening's anything to work with.

Can only wonder how long this arc will be, given the circumstances; looking at calendar, they have less than 12-13 episodes left and I doubt they'll make a double feature every week to speed things up.

----

I still haven't watched the Manon episode subbed; will do so after this post.

Like last week, I watched the episode live

[spoiler=Thoughts on XY132]

- The opening no longer shows scenes from the movie, reverting to what it was previously, and the ending returns to being Puni-chan's song.

- Correa lets slip about Alain's connections to Team Flare in front of Ash before using Confuse Ray on him. (Which is an egg move for Skorupi)

- As Malva buggers off, Team Rocket is left reporting on the sheet going down in Lumiose, before Lysandre hacks the transmission himself ofc.

- Lysandre puts shackles on Ash and his entire team to stop him from doing anything (precautions I guess), and probs as a bargaining chip as well.

- Nice to see Blaziken Mask do stuff, and Clembot helping as well to stop the vines/whatever from hurting Serena and co.

- Also nice to see Sycamore get in on the action as well with his Garchomp.

I will say this though, I definitely won't be able to watch the next episode live via a live stream next week for reasons.

On another note, I'm sure there'll be people who will complain about this scene when it comes out in English.

[spoiler=...]

1QE427o.jpg

Oh, and Zygarde 10% has a hexagonal butthole

080.jpg

I wonder why its so popular to prop characters up like that when they are captured in Japan. It is a surprising common visual in Japanese media and one you rarely see in western ones (for obvious reasons).

But yea, I think we are at a point where watching the raw is going to do little for me. From this point on its is likely to be a lot of plot and my Japanese is very bad so I'm going to be super lost. When I first started just watching raws a lot of the episodes were battles so you don't REALLY need the dialog. I'm going to now though. Hopefully the subs won't fall super behind again, but its been 9 days since the last one came out and I'm afraid the burst of episodes we got is more of an outlier than anything else.

O well, we will see. In the mean time, things look really good and I'm excited to see how this arc plays out.

Yeah, it's going to be necessary to have a better knowledge of the Japanese language (even if textbook Japanese isn't going to do very much); I technically need for work-related purposes (necessity), but that's off-topic.

tl;dr, as we can't wait for subs to come up (and unlike ARC-V, there's no one to give scripts), we'll have to learn Japanese on our own.

As for the scene in question from British's post, it technically was done in The Incredibles several years ago if I remember (well, with electro shocks); don't know how many people complained about it, nor do I know of any other instances in Western media that've occurred. It is going to be a darker moment in the episodes, yes, but the entirety of this arc is likely something the dub is going to have a hard time doing if they want to keep the appropriate intensity and not screw it up royally with edits.

----

Episode was good though, and certainly going to be a nice arc. 

Lysandre still wants to make the world a "beautiful" place according to his design.

As for the scene in question from British's post, it technically was done in The Incredibles several years ago if I remember (well, with electro shocks); don't know how many people complained about it, nor do I know of any other instances in Western media that've occurred.

I don't know how many people complained about that either, but that was 2004 and this is 2016, and people seem to be a bit more sensitive these days.

Yeah, people have gotten a lot more touchy over the past twelve years regarding certain things. I didn't pay it any mind back then though. (Then again, I'm usually watching subs nowadays so not necessarily going to be bothered too much by the changes the dub makes)

As for Lysandre's plans, might be similar to his game plans but more on the lines of Y; destroy Kalos and reformat it in the way he likes it. I don't know; sounds kind of similar to what Ghetsis tried to do in B2W2, but might be off on the comparison. 

I'd hope Ash remembers Steven. Would be a nice nod to the shows massive continuity.

Anyway, can't understand what was being said, but the episode was still solid. Might be my love for Shonen showing, but the scale of this dwarves anything Pokemon has tried to do in the past I imagine. So many characters, so many different missions, and decently large scale makes it an exciting watch.

Also, pretty sure next week is the last episode title that we knew, so I'm REALY curious when the next batch will come out and what they will give away.

Technically, the Flare arc shouldn't be classed as filler since this is the villain syndicate part (granted, it will have less time to fan out because of Sun/Moon, but still). Either they'll have to do TWO episodes per week to get all the required action in or yeah, they gotta rush it and cut out any development for Serena and Clemont in the end. 

(I don't know how the lineup is on TV Tokyo and if Pokemon can even do that, if they can create twice the amount of content per week. Likely will be the latter.)

But yeah, next week's the last of the batch we know thus far. I suspect we'll get some data on the next batches next week or maybe soon. 

----

Episode was pretty good though (however I do suspect some people will be complaining about Ash getting electrocuted or whatever when this gets dubbed). 

Technically, the Flare arc shouldn't be classed as filler since this is the villain syndicate part (granted, it will have less time to fan out because of Sun/Moon, but still). Either they'll have to do TWO episodes per week to get all the required action in or yeah, they gotta rush it and cut out any development for Serena and Clemont in the end. 

(I don't know how the lineup is on TV Tokyo and if Pokemon can even do that, if they can create twice the amount of content per week. Likely will be the latter.)

I can see it being done in time.

The major plot beats are

-Take back the gym (next episode)

-Save Chespin

-Save Zygarde

-Beat Lysandre

-Something with Zygarde's perfect form

Even if I'm missing something, we have time.

Archived