Sugar Cube Corner - Bronies of YCM

Shradow

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Copy-Paste from Bulbapedia:
Keldeo is most likely based on the legend of the kelpie, a supernatural water horse that sometimes appeared as a lost pony. Keldeo is also likely based on the kirin also referred to as the "Chinese unicorn" which are often depicted with a single backwards curving horn and possess the ability to walk on water. Keldeo also draws inspiration from the character of d'Artagnan from the novel The Three Musketeers. Like d'Artagnan, it is the latest and youngest addition to the group. Keldeo's tail also resembles d'Artagnan's trademark feathered cap.

I posted Keldeo mostly as an in-joke, but still...

[spoiler=Also the comic features a giant Opal]
bb7.jpg[/spoiler]

I once found a site that had all the comic issues archived, but I put off reading them for so long I no longer remember what it was. Wonder if I can find it again.

Yeah I remember it too, even used it once, but I couldn't remember when you posted it either. After a while looking for it I finally relocated it around page 60-something:

http://friendshipismagic.smackjeeves.com/archive/

And we posting random images again? Sweet . . . .

323741ecf25ceee6120a7353be2a044e.png?177

Oh, that place was it. I found it earlier today but it only has 9 issues, unfortunately. I first found it awhile ago, but since it appears to not have been updated for awhile it won't get us far. Another place I found was someone had an imgur album of some, but they were really scattered.

And I think your image might be broken.

It's funny, there's actually a lot of Solaire/Celestia stuff now that I've searched it.

EDIT: You know, I might just actually buy them. (God forbid, amirite?) I looked at the IDW site and each issue is only $4 each, didn't realize comics were that cheap.

To those of you here who read it, I can't wait for the next story arc of Friendship is Dragons.

[spoiler=For those who don't and may wonder why I'm excited...]After an excursion to Canterlot to test out her new alias that she got as a reward from the last campaign, Rarity has been blacklisted from the Thieve's Guild while under scrutiny from Celestia as the Element of Generosity. She's currently wallowing in despair, locked away in the boutique. The player who's RPing Rarity can't decide what to do with her character arc next, and deems Rarity unplayable in her current state, but will continue playing as someone else while she gets Rarity sorted out.

That character being Princess Luna, leading into the comic's interpretation of the Luna Eclipsed episode. Interestingly, Rarity doesn't appear in that episode in the show, so it works out.[/spoiler]

So, I'm reading a fanfic named "The Sweetie Chronicles: Fragments". It consists of a Sweetie Belle of a world similar to that of the series, except her parents are dead so she lives with Rarity (the story started before Rarity's parents appeared in the series, so the author probably just guessed). She starts taking magic lessons with Twilight, and causes an accident, that turns Twilight into a bunch of crystal shards that are spread across several paralell universes, and it's up to Sweetie go after them, so she can return to her world and restore her mentor. The new worlds are all those of other pony fanfics, ranging from nice places like that of "On a cross and arrow" to grim ones like "Fallout:Equestria".

The thing is, I've read all those fanfics in preparation for reading The Sweetie Chronicles, to get their world and all that. But some commenters just read that story without reading the stories it crosses with, and it seems weird to me. How would you proceed?

So, I'm reading a fanfic named "The Sweetie Chronicles: Fragments". It consists of a Sweetie Belle of a world similar to that of the series, except her parents are dead so she lives with Rarity (the story started before Rarity's parents appeared in the series, so the author probably just guessed). She starts taking magic lessons with Twilight, and causes an accident, that turns Twilight into a bunch of crystal shards that are spread across several paralell universes, and it's up to Sweetie go after them, so she can return to her world and restore her mentor. The new worlds are all those of other pony fanfics, ranging from nice places like that of "On a cross and arrow" to grim ones like "Fallout:Equestria".

The thing is, I've read all those fanfics in preparation for reading The Sweetie Chronicles, to get their world and all that. But some commenters just read that story without reading the stories it crosses with, and it seems weird to me. How would you proceed?

Do you need prior knowledge of the worlds in order not to get confused? If so then I wouldn't bother reading the other material because it's not manditory and is merely a setting change and some minor character adjustments. On the other hand if you have to read the other works to understand anything then I'd probably not even read "The Sweetie Chronicles: Fragments" until I've read all of the other works up until their completion(s)- if they aren't completed then I'd have to keep waiting until they are.

Can you imagine a kind of "choose your own adventure" for a MLP Fan Fiction?

And I mean a serious one . . . not one where the choices you make don't really affect the story.

A serious one where, if you pick wrongly, you could get someone or even yourself killed.

It's understandable without knowing the other stories. Still knowing them makes it more enjoyable. The author captures very well the writing style of the originals, and you can notice that they write in tandem.

Ah, so no additional reading is required but instead highly recommended for the full effect. Alright. I've read stories like that where you don't need to read the other stories in order to get the general gist of what it is doing, so I could read it.

Only problem is that the main character is Sweetie Belle, my least favorite of the CMC, so it is up to the author(s) to convince me to continue reading a story past five chapters if the main focus is on her. (BTW I said LEAST FAVORITE, doesn't mean I hate Sweetie Belle)

That's would be a nice writing exercise.

I say we all pull together and do it!

Well, Sweetie soon stops being like the canon Sweetie Belle. She gains experience and matures a lot, considering she travels to lots of worlds and witnessess lots of situations. Sadly, she becomes more cynic and dark as it progresses.

A running theme is that she learns a some new magic or skill, or gets a new item in each world, from learning swordcasting in "The Immortal Game, to learning to play the Cello in "The Best Night Ever."

Well, Sweetie soon stops being like the canon Sweetie Belle. She gains experience and matures a lot, considering she travels to lots of worlds and witnesses lots of situations. Sadly, she becomes more cynic and dark as it progresses.

That's to be expected in a fan fiction. But more of a cynic you say? Sounds like this is going to be more and more my type of Sweetie Belle story.

A running theme is that she learns a some new magic or skill, or gets a new item in each world, from learning sword-casting in "The Immortal Game, to learning to play the Cello in "The Best Night Ever."

So basically like how my main OC is, travels around and gets skills/items/allies throughout the multiverse as best he can.

That's would be a nice writing excersice.

I say we all pull together and do it!

I say a basic story where we choose to put where it branches out from . . .

And I already have a premise, as I've talked about it quite a bit, and it's been mulling about in my head before.

Some people hate the fact that Twilight Sparkle is a princess. They complain and say they don't want her to be one. So what happens if she makes a wish that she was never became a princess in the first place?

I already told you how different Equestria would be if Twilight never became a princess. So, with Twilight making the wish, and remembering the "original timeline", it'd be her trying to find a way to restore Equestria back to the way it is "supposed to be".

!WARNING! RANT/BABBLE IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!

As I've said before, or at least to Arm, Twilight was set on course to becoming "Princess Twilight" the moment she became Celestia's personal student- as the reason for her ascension was Starswirl's unfinished spell, which in turn was only given to her because Princess Celestia believed she'd be able to solve it.

Why not just remove the unfinished spell?

Well, you could do that- but that would leave a lot of plot holes throughout the story. How did it get removed? Why was it removed? Was it an accident? If it was destroyed on purpose, who did it and why?

As long as the scroll remains, Celestia is bound to give it to Twilight sooner or later- it will happen.

So the question is how do you stop the spell from being given to Twilight in the first place if you can't destroy the scroll?

Easy.

The scroll was given to Twilight, as I said, because Princess Celestia believed her personal student could complete it.

So all you have to do is make it so that Twilight never became Princess Celestia's personal student.

How did she become Princess Celestia's personal student in the first place?

Two words. Sonic. Rainboom.

As we all remember the Sonic Rainboom, preformed by a filly Rainbow Dash, was the catalyst that caused all of the mane six to obtain their cutie marks at the same time. This little-big incident also happened to cause Princess Celestia to see Twilight's magical potential and decide to make Twilight her personal student.

No Sonic Rainboom, no Twilight being Princess Celestia's personal student. No Celestia's personal student, no being given the unfinished spell. No unfinished spell, no chances of becoming a Princess.

We still good here foolish people who decided to read all of this? Yes? Good . . .

So if the Sonic Rainboom never happened, for whatever reason, say Rainbow Dash just happened to not be going fast enough and failed, then Twilight would never start on the path to becoming a princess. But, as I alluded before, that wouldn't be the only thing that changed.

Motherf*cking Butterfly Effect Here People!

The Sonic Rainboom gave all of the mane six their cutie marks at that exact moment. Removing it means they wouldn't get it, thus completely derailing the lives they would have lived. Could you imagine how crushed Rainbow Dash would be if she failed to win the race at that age? One might think it would break her self confidence, after loosing again and again, never preforming such feats of super speed, that she might swear to never fly fast again.

Fluttershy, who probably only went back to flight school because of Rainbow Dash, wouldn't discover she could communicate with animals; at least not at the time. More importantly, if Rainbow Dash never came back and got her the chances are high that Fluttershy might have run off into the Everfree Forest to live with the animals. Who lives in the Everfree Forest? Zecora! Wouldn't it be interesting to have the usually meek and timid Fluttershy grow into an almost amazonian warrior pony, who can communicate with animals, who's mentor is Zecora?

Without the Sonic Rainboom Pinkie Pie would have never become her bubbly, random self. I doubt she'd ever leave the rock farm. THAT is a different lifestyle all together. She'd probably be more like how she was in "Party of One".

Rarity wouldn't discover that the thing she needed for her costumes was gems. So, in a desperate hunt to "find that something", she'd probably head out to look for it- never finding it. She might even get a different cutie mark, one about fashion, if things get changed so much. How interesting would it be if she had replaced Coco Pomell in this new, twisted version of Equestria? Designing magnificent outfits only to have her boss claim they are "her own designs"!

Applejack would have probably returned home sooner or later without the Double Rainboom. In fact Applejack would be the least to change of the mane six. Yet the butterfly effect can be tricky . . . who's to say that because of Twilight's wish that Applejack's parents aren't still alive? With their parents around Big Mac would talk more and Applejack would be more stubborn. Imagine the conflict when Applejack learns that by aiding the supposed "Princess Twilight Sparkle" that it would result in her parents going away forever!

Luna would have never reverted from Nightmare Moon!

Discord wouldn't have been stopped!

Queen Chrysalis would have married Shining Armor!

King Sombra would still be alive!

No Princess Twilight Sparkle = Equestria Gets F*cking R*ped!

At what point will the story be placed? It will not go all the way from the failed Rainboom to the present of the alternate timeline, right?

Of course not. It'd be in the same time period, aka "End of Season Four", but because of the Failed Sonic Rainboom everything would be completely different. The whole "choose your story" part is the reader gets to choose Twilight, or other characters, decisions.

Like the first one could be if Twilight uses the supposed wish-granting device the moment she gets it or if she uses it later.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah so basically all Hasbro is doing is giving up a portion of their control over the channel, though keeping 6 out of a full 24 hours, where they have complete control; who wants to bet this is when MLP will be aired from now on?

I actually think this is a good idea. I mean, when you think about it, what good shows are actually on the Hub Network?

Or at least ones that you can name. I can only think of My Little Pony and My Littlest Pet Shop . . . . I don't know any other programming they have . . .

This will give the Hub Network a chance at some fresh air, much needed that it is, with Hasbro still dictating what goes into the shows they want to keep- a'la MLP and MLPS.

Archived