[TCG] September 2013 Banlist

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a huge game-changer this list was. Big effort to slow down the game a little, backrows are now free to prosper, and Synchros return with the classic Zombies, Agents, and TG. The only problem is that Birdman was hit down, and I'll always remember him now my Mist Valley decks are ruined. :( Abyssteus, Abyssphere, Vanity's Emptiness, and Big Eye are still formidable though. It'll be annoying facing Mermails next format. :I

In all, I am loving this since now my more creative and slower decks can prosper. They got s*** done this time.

I like the list the same way I liked the OCG list. It kills the key cards of the Decks that were dominating, and promises a chance for other Decks to resurface. The TCG list seems a bit extreme at a glance, but this is the first time that the banlists have diverged this greatly, and I think the TCG is just doing what they can to avoid problems before they happen.

Last time Heavy was banned was Six Sam format, which until last format, was the worst format in my memory. They have noticeably killed Gateway of the Six, and the unfair, but costly "Negate whatever I want for game" of Solemn Judgment. The removal of Stratos means that HEROs won't be able to just dust themselves off and jump back into the fray, but in exchange, cards like Malicious, E-Call, and A Hero Lives are returned to them.

It seems with all the hits to Macro Rabbits, they also don't want Macro Rabbit to just pull out their old weapons and get their power back while the power vacuum is still strong. And to prevent the removal of Macro from helping too much, they hit the Dark World Deck's most OPed weapon of Card Destruction. They did not support Graveyard heavy Decks (Dark World), and they took steps to prevent backrow heavy Decks like Gadgets from being unstoppable forces as well.

Pot of Avarice, while sad to see go, was also a wise hit. It'll keep people concerned about their resources, especially TG, which get a second Striker back, and Agents, who won't be able to recycle their Shine Balls as easily, even with their Earth Agent back.

They seem to remembering that even when hit, certain former top Decks have been biding their time for more power, like Zombies, Agents, TG, and Plants. These Decks can return, but they won't be able to just resume where they left off.

All in all, the staple hits are logical because Storm is banned. Too much 1 for 1+ removal like Compulsory and BTH would be able to dominate too easily without much fear of them being blown away. Those cards aren't broken, but the loss of Storm makes them much stronger. TCG Konami seems aware of that and took steps to prevent it.

I feel the format has tons of potential. Test it out for a while, and for all we know, in December, they may be a complete reversal, and restore half those cards to higher or lower numbers.

I guess I'll be playing Traptrix, even with just one Bottomless.

Also, it's time for me to try another variant of Monarchs, instead of my always faithful MacroMonarchs. If Wyburstar and Collapsarpent had come with Judgement of the Light, I would have used their variant. Right now, I guess TeleDAD Monarchs it will be.

The SuperPooper

And Listen to the Music of the Night: Black Whirlwind and Malicious to 3 are both dreadful moves. The prior of which is on the Gorz to 2 level of bad, imo, or even worse. Whirlwind should be banned, not unlimited.

why should whirlwind be banned? to kill the deck even more, at 2 in the ocg after testing it wasnt that op. Like every deck has a recruiter almost so why should blackwings one be banned?

and no dont suggest that if you ban it to bring back gale because that wont help blackwings.

Malicious at 3 is fine with stratos gone, stratos was the problem for it being at 2 aswell.

Whirlwind is not THAT broken. Only thing that made BW broken back then is DSF+triple gale. 

Also, malicious'd be fine @3 since HERO engine's consistency has been shot down. Not to mention, it's not as broken as it was in the past (powercreep guys!). 

TelefnuitDAD won't be broken. It lacks virus and more than one DAD, and the other decks in this format can face it with ease no, unlike in the past.

so does windup factory

Factory is an "Each player can only use once per turn" kind of effect, regardless of the copies.

Black Whirlwind will be a +3 once per turn in the worst case scenario.

Also, Wind-Ups don't have a Kalut, or any hand trap in their archetype for that matter, and have less self-Special Summon monsters than Blackwings.

There is a difference.

It won't be as bad as in it's original format, because powercreep and because the biggest abuse happened with Ultimate Offering, but it's still plenty bad.

[quote name="-Berserker-" post="6261210" timestamp="1377129953"]It seems we'll be having lists every 4 months. That means. We'll have a list coming out April 1st. Oh, the chaos.[/quote] April 1st is my birthday :O Whirlwind doesn't turn EVERY Blackwing into a +, only the bigger ones. The Less ATK clause prevents it from being outright insane.

The only BW that isn't a +1 is Vayu.

We can rule out Blizzard because who the hell wants Vayu in the hand?  Lol. 

Who Normal Summons Gale or Kalut these days?

So, really, the only BWs that make full use of Whirlwind are Shura, Bora, Zephyros (who you only run 1 of), Sirocco, and Elphin (if you run those last two, lol).

April 1st is my birthday :o Whirlwind doesn't turn EVERY Blackwing into a +, only the bigger ones. The Less ATK clause prevents it from being outright insane.

You were born as an April Fool's joke :O

That's really a very minor restriction. It's still way broken. like your dad's condom was

Archived