[TCG] September 2013 Banlist

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am uneasy about them not hitting some cards that still are dumb, like Rekindling and Krystia, but I overall do like this list.

It makes me want to experiment again. I pretty much lost my interest in this last past format from the very beginning of it, and that's just sad.

Also, how odd that it'll be half of a normal format now, and on top of it it's so... independent from the OCG list. Makes me wanna ask them what happened in detail.

I also wonder if they listened to the survey project.

[spoiler=Thoughts]

BANNED
Burner, Dragon Ruler of Sparks
Lightning, Dragon Ruler of Gusts
Stream, Dragon Ruler of Water idk
Reactan, Dragon Ruler of Pebbles

Needless to say, dragons needed to be hit.

E-HERO Stratos I can see this because the other HERO searchers went up on the list, and this was the one +1 with other uses to it.
Number 16: Shock Master This kills deck themes very easily, and 3 turns is too much to keep it up. It had it coming. I'll gladly take it out of my deck.
Card Destruction It's only good for derpy plays and nothing more. Well made cards still have the player work more gradually. It was always bad, but during the latest years its possibilities grew too much.
Gateway of the Six I don't know how this card even made it past initial playtesting. I could see a nerfed version existing, but the way it was designed it's just downright stupid.
Heavy Storm I'm not a fan of this. I agreed before the first time this actually dissapeared, and it wasn't too good. Hopefully things work differently this time.
Monster Reborn Justified. From the looks of the format, Call of the Haunted will hopefully shine more. So Reborn has a more fair replacement in theory.
Pot of Avarice They want to revive Synchros, and Synchros can abuse this much more easily. It's a good call.
Spellbook of Judgment Needless to say. See my opinion on both Gateway and the Baby Dragons for this.
Super Rejuvenation This looks like overkill at first, but Hyeratics got a small boost as it is, it's fine for now, but I'm not sure it's as threatening without the Incarnates around.
Solemn Judgment It'd probably be a staple in a slower format like the one coming anyways, and I think Konami is trying to limit mindless staples a bit.
Ultimate Offering Madolches, Hunders, and Gadgets will suffer, but I think the other alternatives are fine. I'm very much against cards that can change the game THAT much in the way this card does it.

LIMITED
Atlantean Dragoons Right in the consistency. At least the deck still lives.
Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Spirit I confess I know nothing about Fire Fists other than Tenki and Bear... I have nothing to say.
Deep Sea Diva That is fine by me. It's like Tour Guide + Synchro-able, and Abbyssmegalo could still OTK with the play.
Genex Ally Birdman This and Diva killed my Toon deck, but it's more important that they kill the loops and OTKs I guess..... I'll see how it turns out.
Rescue Rabbit Ouch, It can still be used, but it'll be a tech rather than the focus. I think this might be the cause that Gold Sarcophagus is at 1 now. Dragons are dead, but the format is slower, and Rabbit would be great. Must be a preventive measure. IDK.
Thunder King Rai-oh They also killed anti-meta it seems. It'll be an interesting experiment. That's really all I can think of. Did Thunder Sea Horse search for it a lot or something? I mean, even with what I said, at 2 seemed fine, and some would even claim it should be at 3.
Gishki Mind Augus Gishkis are pretty much loops, I hate those kinds of decks. Good.
Dewloren, Tiger King of the Ice Barrier Ehhh.... ok.
Constellar Ptolemy M7 Personal experience makes me fear Pleiades more, but it's still a nice hit, and I can accept it if I'm missing something when thinking that.
Dimension Fissure  I like this. Many will hate this change, but many decks absolutely depend on using the Graveyard, this type of card is just overkill to such a crusial mechanic. Especially with Heavy gone.
Gold Sarcophagus I think it's just a safety measure for Dinno Rabbit, even if it looks like overkill.
Royal Tribute Good.
Bottomless Trap Hole It's an odd twist. There'll be less banishing overall this format. At least in the form of disruption.
Compulsory Evacuation Device Such a good staple nowadays. Removal is weaker this format, it does point to slower games.
Eradicator Epidemic Virus Ok, now some fears get diminished. Besides, pretty much all virus cards are unfair in a similar way to Shock Master.
Macro Cosmos Pretty much my thoughts on D. Fissure.
Soul Drain Never played against it.... but ok. hand traps like it?
Torrential Tribute Again, less removal. With the possibility of Mirror Force going to 3, I was pretty dissapointed at how the game got so much mass removal and wouldn't care about it. It's like... powercreep in a nutshell. At least Konami gave a step back, although I liked Torrential at 2 personally. It's one of those cards that makes defensive moves, it's a wonderful card, and it slows down OTKs....

SEMI-LIMIT
Mezuki Zombies are back~
Plaguespreader Zombie I was waiting for it, it's a +0 revive that is used for a -1. By itself it would not look like a problem, and the game is different from back then, it should be more ok now...  IDK what exactly made it too good back then, but I recognize it was... 
T.G. Striker

Fire Formation - Tenki Consistency hit. Ok.
Dimensional Prison This is more annoying than Mirror Force could hope to be, so I'm fine with it, personally.

UNLIMITED
D-HERO Malicious A sort of Tele-DAD could come from this. Plus Rank 6 plays. I'll be trying it again.
Agent of Mystery - Earth Good for Agents. I'm butthurt about Krystia though, so please work on hitting that in the future.
Tsukuyomi It was about time.
A Hero Lives In exchange for Stratos sounds good. More consistent but less abusive. I've heard these HERO movements actually help a certain build of Gladiator Beasts.
Black Whirlwind This sounds horrible to me. I guess they can't loop as much anymore without Offering, but it's still a big plus. Other cards were hit in this list for being at that Level of good. Err.... I have no choice but to see how it goes, do I?
E - Emergency Call Ok. Allius likes it.
Hieratic Seal of Convocation 
Pot of Duality As splashable as it is on paper, it's fair use to me. I agree.
Scapegoat I've waited a long time for this. The card is amazing for defense, and very original too. Hopefully it won't make Plasma too problematic.

[/spoiler]

What the flying f***?

BANNED
Burner, Dragon Ruler of Sparks Bye bye
Lightning, Dragon Ruler of Drafts " "
Stream, Dragon Ruler of Droplets " "
Reactan, Dragon Ruler of Pebbles " "
E-HERO Stratos Makes sense, and I won't be sad to see it go
Number 16: Shock Master Good f***ing riddance
Card Destruction This needed to go quite frankly
Gateway of the Six " "
Heavy Storm I kinda disagree with this, but at least it isn't be swapped for Trunade this time.
Monster Reborn I'll miss having it in my decks, but it is justified.
Pot of Avarice Good call, as there are a few decks that abused this.
Spellbook of Judgment Rot. In. Hell. *throws away the key*
Super Rejuvenation 'twas a "+ machine" I'm fine with it gone
Solemn Judgment What the...?

Ultimate Offering I'm fine with this gone tbh.

LIMITED
Atlantean Dragoons I had a feeling it was gonna go to 1 for some reason.
Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Spirit Well 3-axis isn't going to be as good now.
Deep Sea Diva This is fine by me.
Genex Ally Birdman Well... it hits those OTKs that this was used in.
Rescue Rabbit Ouch. Now it has been become tech-worthy.
Thunder King Rai-oh It seems they're trying to push Mistake, huh?
Gishki Mind Augus Don't care much about Gishkis at all.
Dewloren, Tiger King of the Ice Barrier I dun get it
Constellar Ptolemy M7 See Dewloren.
Dimension Fissure I like this, even though many decks rely on having stuff in the grave
Gold Sarcophagus Seems like overkill with the hit that Dragon Rulers have had.
Royal Tribute Good
Bottomless Trap Hole Sounds odd, but there'll be less removal in this coming format.
Compulsory Evacuation Device It was a good staple as of late, it was probs a matter of time before it got hit.
Eradicator Epidemic Virus I guess I'll be ok with this going to 1.
Macro Cosmos See D Fissure
Soul Drain Never played against it.
Torrential Tribute Can't remember the last time it went to 1 tbh.

SEMI-LIMIT
Mezuki Well, zombies are back
Plaguespreader Zombie " "
T.G. Striker This had no business being at 1, I like this.
Fire Formation - Tenki Well, it's a consistency hit.
Dimensional Prison I only played it at 2 anyway.

UNLIMITED
D-HERO Malicious This is the last thing I expected to come back to 3. (Ok second-to-last, behind Tengu)
Agent of Mystery - Earth Good for Agents.
Tsukuyomi About time
A Hero Lives In exchange for Stratos? Seems like a good trade to me.
Black Whirlwind Wow... BWs got a bigger buff on this list than the OCG one. Can't say I'm liking this.
E - Emergency Call Ok.
Hieratic Seal of Convocation Ok.
Pot of Duality I like this, more consistency.
Scapegoat Uh..... Ok?

Well this list hasn't fully sunk in yet, but at least I sold my Trish for £30 when it was going to 1 (in the OCG), so there's a positive.

My thoughts

BANNED
Burner, Dragon Ruler of Sparks cool
Lightning, Dragon Ruler of Gusts cool
Stream, Dragon Ruler of Water cool
Reactan, Dragon Ruler of Pebbles cool
E-HERO Stratos kinda deserving of its ban, it's been at 0 on a fake list for almost every format now, about time it went
Number 16: Shock Master too unfair to stay unbanned. good hit.
Card Destruction definitely needs banning regardless of DW
Gateway of the Six yay
Heavy Storm err, cool, I guess. I do prefer backrow formats but i'm kinda 50/50 on this one
Monster Reborn yeah, it shouldn't really have been unbanned anyway. call is a decent enough replacement.
Pot of Avarice about time, the only spell here that's missing is mind control
Spellbook of Judgment cool
Super Rejuvenation i guess, but did it really need it after the babies got banned?
Solemn Judgment don't like it
Ultimate Offering as a gadget player i'm saddened but really i saw it coming

LIMITED
Atlantean Dragoons good hit
Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Spirit cool, 3-axis sucks a bit now
Deep Sea Diva meh, i'd rather have seen abyss-sphere limited but this will do. tbh it deserved to be hit soon after release
Genex Ally Birdman shame but it had to happen
Rescue Rabbit err, cool i guess, but is it really needed?
Thunder King Rai-oh meh
Gishki Mind Augus idk what a gishki is but if it creates a loop it needs to be hit
Dewloren, Tiger King of the Ice Barrier err, why?
Constellar Ptolemy M7 constellar don't really make more than one anyway. should have been banned IMO
Dimension Fissure interesting
Gold Sarcophagus ok
Royal Tribute to 0 pls
Bottomless Trap Hole i don't like it, but if storm is banned i guess they have to hit one of the backrows
Compulsory Evacuation Device cool, it wasn't going to be as great this format anyway. could see this going back to 2/3 pretty soon
Eradicator Epidemic Virus yay!
Macro Cosmos same as d fissure, gives graveyard decks a boost and graveyard decks are normally quite fun so that's cool
Soul Drain fissure, macro and this? ok...
Torrential Tribute cool

SEMI-LIMIT
Mezuki should honestly have moved the other way IMO
Plaguespreader Zombie could have gone to 3 if mezuki wasn't put back to 2. zombies are going to be good this format
T.G. Striker yay!
Fire Formation - Tenki needed to happen, a bit of a consistancy hit for fire fist
Dimensional Prison does anyone actually play 3?

UNLIMITED
D-HERO Malicious zombies just got even better
Agent of Mystery - Earth cool
Tsukuyomi this isn't at 3 already? o.O
A Hero Lives now stratos is banned this can go to 4 for all i care
Black Whirlwind yikes
E - Emergency Call again, stratos banned makes this so much less broken
Hieratic Seal of Convocation why was it ever put to 2?
Pot of Duality see above
Scapegoat awesome

It's kinda weird to see people complain about the staples being hit. I mean, without Heavy, do you want to have a format with 2-3 BTH(forgot where it was at before), 3 Compulse, etc.

One thing I don't understand is the Stratos hit though.

Well I think people probably wanted to have Heavy Storm at 1 and the staples untouched.

It's kinda weird to see people complain about the staples being hit. I mean, without Heavy, do you want to have a format with 2-3 BTH(forgot where it was at before), 3 Compulse, etc.

One thing I don't understand is the Stratos hit though.

No I don't and I'm glad they did it. Makes things more interesting and I love mind games.

I'm actually speechless about this list.

I mean....... It's... good more than it is bad. I mean: It hits god awful design that isn't actually relevant.

But in the same vein... they've gotten rid of heavy, which is a bugger, but then they've hit the staple backrow that would take it's place. And then they've hit stun like cards.

I honestly don't know what to think of it. It's good and it's bad. And... wow I don't know.

Also Monarchs for Teir lots.

Why does everyone say that Compulsory is a bad card each time the format comes around. If anything, it is a card that has stood through a number of formats and has always been the best tech. Unfortunately it being to 1 now means it has the BoM treatment but its a card that's always going to be amazing, no matter the format

Anyway, cards we might see returning this format? Seven Tools? Dark Bribe? PWWB?

That's why I don't get all the complaining. The list was....unexpected and took pretty much all of us by surprise so that part I get. 

Sometimes when a person wants something and they get it they find out they dont actually want it.

Why does everyone say that Compulsory is a bad card each time the format comes around. If anything, it is a card that has stood through a number of formats and has always been the best tech. Unfortunately it being to 1 now means it has the BoM treatment but its a card that's always going to be amazing, no matter the format

Anyway, cards we might see returning this format? Seven Tools? Dark Bribe? PWWB?

I can See Bribe and Tools coming back.

Compulsory is a card I'm iffy about with this list.  does a fair bit and is both an offensive and defensive power house with generic level chain ability. I hate that it's at one but I can see why it is.

One thing the list changes will do is force TCG players to make their own decks rather than look to OCG for decks that are going to be good in the next format, since that deck might not be as good with a different list.

Also, it could be that they are doing the separate lists to gain data on how each change affects the data so that they can change the banlists to be more alike in the future, but with "more effective bans".

I heard that you all had a *looks at list* HAAAAAAAAaaaa

In any case, it's time for The Yugi, The Tewart, and the superpooper.

The Yugi

Baby Dragons: Okay, let's face it, Dragons are still a thing and will remain a thing in this format. The babies takes out their stupid stupid but they still have their worse than terrible design stupid. Still, this is better than it is bad, so it'll stay in the Yugi section.

The Elemental HERO Shuffle: Stratos needed to go from the beginning, and it's good to see that TCG Konami realized it. With him out, we can finally get E - Emergency Call and A Hero Lives back to 3 where they belong

Generic Great Staple Takedown: Besides Heavy Storm, I approve of most of the hits on the generic S/T. The response to Heavy being banned was simply to hit everything else that may cause a set-5-go format. And it may be more skillfull that way. This is probably the single most interesting test this list will propose, and I'd like to see where it goes before the next list. Moves I like include: Monster Reborn, Pot of Avarice, Bottomless Trap Hole, Compulsory Evacuation Device, Torrential Tribute, and Dimensional Prison. Okay, but pretty unsure hits: Solemn Judgment, EEV, Macro Cosmos, Soul Drain, Dimensional Fissure, Gold Sarcoph

Anything Else that the Banhammer Did: Shock Master, Card Destruction, Gateway, Spellbook of Judgment, Ultimate Offering. All of these were good to amazing hits. No questions.

You Could Have Been Banned, but I Guess Limited's Fine Too: Atlantean Dragoons, Constellar Ptolemys M7, Royal Tribute, Mind Augus. Yeah, I guess these are okay.

Come on Up!: T.G. Striker, Agent of Mystery - Earth, Tsukuyomi, Hieratic Seal of Convocation, Pot of Duality, Scapegoat. I love all of you, welcome back.

Diva, Rabbitses: nuff said.

Who Stole the Cookie from the Cookie Jar? Not me: Things I'm happy the TCG didn't do that the OCG Did: Shark/Magician switch, Trishula to 1, Gorz to 2, ARA to 3, Mirror Force to 3. Thank god, someone has at least a little bit of sense in the West.

More than 2 Lists a Year: This list lasts until December. That's 4 months, one-third of the year. So that means we're having at least 3 lists. (assumably) If we get 4, even better.

The Tewart

You Missed: Tewart + Money = Chicken not getting hit. Spirit, Birdman, Tenki, TKRO, and Dewloren. The last of which, I don't know why is limited. Spirit should be replaced by Chicken and Birdman should AT LEAST have Wind of Mist Valley behind it. Or Blaze Fenix should be banned, one of those. Tenki should be hit more and TKRO shouldn't even be on this list.

So they Really Are Undead: Plaguespreader and Mezuki. Yeah, we've discussed this time and again. I don't know if they'll do anything, but I am not a fan of these moving to 2.

Padlocked: Bestiari going up was something I was really looking forward to. I guess Tewart really did have a problem with Gyzarus. Others: Grand Mole, Chaos Sorcerer (to an extent) 

The SuperPooper

And Listen to the Music of the Night: Black Whirlwind and Malicious to 3 are both dreadful moves. The prior of which is on the Gorz to 2 level of bad, imo, or even worse. Whirlwind should be banned, not unlimited.

Can't Touch This: Teus and Sphere not being hit. These were actually good hits on Konami's part in the OCG. I was actually pleased, even though they missed Dragoon. The opposite way... Mermails are here to stay another format. They may be the new Blackwings/Wind-Ups. Big Eye was also left untouched, which is still an issue with MonoMermail running rampant and Dragons, by no means, dead. Others: Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning, Gorz, Moulinglacia, REDMD, Blaze Fenix, Final Countdown, Exodia, Chain Material, Return from the Different Dimension, Self-Destruct Button.

Overall... much more good than bad, actually. Misses and confusing ups, as usual, but overall: good. I'm most interested and perhaps somewhat excited about all the hits on S/T, I was definitely not expecting that. Less resources: more diversity within subsets of decks and more skill about how to use what you have. This could get interesting.

Also, a lot of decks will make use of the mass-S/T removal they didn't want to use before. Blackwings, for instance, still have that one trap that wipes out all set cards. Dragons have Wing Beat. HAVE FUN WITH THAT.

Archived