Legend of Korra

Ren✧

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next Friday? That's short notice...hardly and notice.

There was a theory that the sparky boom woman is Azula.

I don't think she is Azula, she would be in her 80s, if not 90s at this point. However, and I am pretty sure that I already said this in the OP, it is more than likely that she is played by the same voice actress. 

Then again, the fandom did theorize that Amon was Aang for some reason back in season 1.

Hey, to each their own (though that particular theory is sort of impossible). I mean, I was convinced he was some bending-absorbing cyborg.

Synopsis for the first episode.

[spoiler='A Breath of Fresh Air']After the events of Harmonic Convergence, Avatar Korra discovers that her decision to leave the spirit portals open has unexpected consequences. Wild spirit vines have overgrown Republic City and Airbenders are suddenly popping up across the four nations.
[/spoiler]

And the second episode.

[spoiler='Rebirth of a Nation']Korra, Tenzin and Team Avatar search for new Airbenders in an effort to recruit them and rebuild the Air Nation. Meanwhile, a band of sinister criminals are organizing to hunt down the Avatar themselves.[/spoiler]

Also, the theory of Aang was Amon was pretty stupid but somehow a lot of people thought that was it. Haha

I had several theories about who Amon could be, however; none of them included him being Aang, there are just too many problems with that theory, lol. My first theory was that he was the physical embodiment of the spirit Koh. The idea that someone could take someone's bending away, I thought, correlated pretty well with being able to steal the faces of those that show emotion. And the fact that Amon kept his face hidden behind a mask, well, it all just conveniently fit. 

My second theory, was that there had been unforeseen problem in the Avatar Cycle. I am sure that we can all recall that Aang was actually killed by Azula in his fight with her and Zuko in the catacombs of Ba Sing Se. Because he was killed in the Avatar State, the cycle was supposed to be broken. But, I thought, perhaps it was only the ability to bend all four elements that was broken, making way for a pseudo-Avatar that still had spiritual connections, and thus able to take away a person's bending. 

Of course both theories turned out to be wrong, as did most everyone's.

Now to actually talk about LoK, lol

Although a prisoner who can air bend...

That really shouldn't be the hardest thing to stomach in all the reveals we've gotten lately. Obviously, air benders are turning up left and right, no doubt due to harmonic convergence or something of the like. Although, I suppose it is possible that he is an ancient hold over from before the 100 years war. We already have proof that people can live much longer in the Avatar World, than in ours. Take for example, the original Bumi who lived for over 112 years and was arguably the most powerful Earthbender of his time(although I am a firm believer that Toph would probably take that title)

Just caught up with watching all 3 episodes as soon as I got the chance today, which could only happen after midnight.

So far I love it. I don't like the new airbender but he's not supposed to be likable so, alright.

Mako and Bolin's encounter was a bit too coincidental but I guess there's always been this "destiny" theme in the series going on.

Zuko really feels like Zuko, and is my favorite part of the 3-parter. I didn't expect those people to appear again, but then again, I don't know why I didn't, and they were fitting to talk to him.

Wonder if Derek will appear again or if the show's done with him. His situation somehow looks very fixable so it could happen.

I fear for the past avatar lives. One of the fan theories is that she's gonna slowly gain them back somehow throughout the season, but now it feels like she is meant to not recover her. I don't want Wan, Aang, and all the others to go away for good, but I the way it looks, I think bringing them back is akin to reviving all the characters on any series. Anyways, this whole thing makes me think, she kinda DOES have a way to get pretty damn wise advice. She can just enter the portals at the poles and ask Iroh. He's no avatar but you never know.

This is more unrelated to the episode but someone please answer me, what's the United Forces again? It just occurred to me that they had to wait days for them to go help Republic City against Amon, but in book 2 it seemed like they belonged to Republic City specifically. Now it's almost safe to assume we won't be seeing them much if at all due to the way this season is shaping up to be. Not that they ever did any relevant impact, but still.

[spoiler=Spoiler]

I don't understand the enemies so far whatsoever. I mean, 4 people powerful enough that Unalaq and Zuko had to go so far to contain, which Zuko claims are world threatening and nearly unstoppable? Where did they come from and why would they be doing this? and their leader was a non-bender? because he seemed to instantly master airbending pretty well, and they seemed to have been waiting for the harmonic convergence to move again, rather than the harmonic convergence being this ancient forgotten happening that could not play a role in their lives had Vaatu not moved, and it's not like prisoners have prime news delivered to them to know it. IDK.... Maybe I'm just going a little bit overboard, but I'm confused. They seem to want to take down the avatar, and if they know about the effects of harmonic convergence... IDK what to even ask right now.

[/spoiler]

All in all, I loved the episodes. I won't say anything outside of spoiler in case someone hasn't the episodes, but I thought they were pretty fantastic.

[spoiler=Will Most Definitely Contain Spoilers]

*cracks knuckles* Let's do this.

Alright, the first episode I was slightly miffed that it ended like it did. I don't understand why they hyped up the problems with vines to just have Korra leave Republic City. I would assume that they are going to go back to that later in the season, but still thought the hype about the vines clashed with the true purpose of the episode. Which was of course to find out that there are more airbenders out there. Bumi being able to airbend still kinda pisses me off. The entirety of his character was cemented in the fact that he was a non-bender! What I did LOVE of about this episode was Korra's character development. For almost the entire series, the majority of the fandom has been upset with how Korra behaves, acts, and thinks. I've always been one thinking that the way she acts is completely justified, given that she grew up in completely isolated from the world and then suddenly, of course due to her own brash actions, is placed in front of the camera for the world to see. She is bound to act frustrated, angry, stubborn, etc, etc. I don't know, but I've always been able to empathize with Korra. But that isn't what I was getting at *puts self back on track*, you can see how losing her last season has changed Korra. Of course she is still loud and stubborn, but look at how she maturely handles her and Mako's separation. Her and Asami's new(ish) friendship. Talking down the new airbender at the bridge. Korra is becoming a mature young woman, and I am liking it. Plus, Korrasami best friend headcannon is being fulfilled :D

The second episode didn't have the same problem with vines that episode 1 did(because they completely dropped the issue), but I thought that they could have handled the airbender business a lot better. They made it a comical element when I feel it should have been so much more than that. Salesman!Tenzin was admittedly funny, but for crying out loud he is trying to revive an entire culture, why did they think that they could portray 'Mr. Serious' like that, especially in the situation he was in. Furthermore, I was disappointed by the shirtless Tenzin reveal. I was heavy set on someone attacking and Tenzin coming out in his night clothes(which would obviously consist of an outfit without a shirt) and kicking some major ass, but instead it was made into another unnecessary spectacle, like the rest of the airbender collecting, of which I was fairly unimpressed.

Now I'm not sure where the rest of my comments actually fall because i watched all three episodes back to back and they are kind of blurring together. So, I'll just leave the rest of my comments as an agglomeration. Kai. Honestly, I like him. Like Jinora(and Korra and Asami) I've always had a soft spot for the cute, troubled, criminal type, which Kai fits with perfectly. I am interested to see growth in Kai and Mako/Bolin relationship, because they've been where he is. Some brotherly/parently bonding is much needed there.

The villains. Dear Lord the villains. Let me start off by saying that I love them. Despite their gaping flaws, I love them. @Akari: I found it quite strange as well that their leader was able to master airbending so quickly. However, because we know that he was their leader and wasn't even a bender, we have to assume that he was already a skilled fighter and what's more, because of the type of prison he was locked away in, he must be skilled at several other talents as well. Still makes somewhat hard to swallow that he mastered airbending so quickly, but as we learned from Korra, it has been a few weeks since harmonic convergence. And all he has to do all day in that cell is to practice and think. The question would be is when exactly after Harmonic Convergence did his bending start to make itself apparent.

The rest of the villains I thought were incredibly interesting. It has been confirmed by now that the lava bender is indeed just an earthbender and is not an earth/firebender mash up like a lot of fans expected. I read up on how he was able to bend lava, as it was previously revealed in the Avatar Extras that only an avatar could do that, and the answer I received was pretty well thought out. It is no different than a water bender being able to bend steam and ice. They are obviously raising and lowering the temperature of the water to get into that state, so why not earth right? after all, lava/magma is just superheated rock. It would just depend on an earthbender's talent to utilize such an ability. The double amputee, I can tell, is going to be one of my favorites. Her and sparky sparky boom woman as well have captured my interest since their reveal in the trailers.

I think the last beef that I had with the episodes was how they are still portraying most spirits to be comical. I wish they would bring back some of the dignity and respect that accompanied the spirits in ATLA(but here I am doing my biggest 'no-no', comparing two different series).

I know that sounded like a lot of complaints, but I really did love the episodes. It has Korra character development. Korrasami relationship development. Mako/Bolin development. Introduction of interesting characters and I really wasn't expecting the Earth Queen to be going around collecting the airbenders for a military regime. And let's face it, Nick gave us three episodes so that they could leave us with a cliffhanger.  

[/spoiler]

I'm going to speak in vague terms so as to not use spoilers, but I largely agree with everything that had been said.

Here we go.

Korra is finally likeable. This shouldn't be big news, but in each of the 3 episodes she didn't do anything that made me want to hit her and I was actually able to feel for her. Her relationship with Asami was also fun to watch..

The vines problem was indeed a distraction and really only took away from the episode. Also agree that the spirits could be portrayed better. 

The Airbender stuff is something that really bugs me. I said before that I didn't like Bumi getting Airbending powers, but I also have a problem with anyone getting th epowers. The show is just like, "well, they can airbend how cause harmonic convergence". That isn't a reason. Also found Tenzin's actions in ep. 2 a little out of character. I get why he was acting the way he was, but to think people would just drop everything was really unrealistic. As for Kai, unlikeable now, but it obvious they are just setting up a story arc for him, and it should turn out pretty well. 

Bolin was very enjoyable in all th episodes, but Mako was less so. It works, but still kind of meh. I do like what they are doing with their story though, and I loved the feels moment they had near the end of episode 3. 

The new villians are just a giant question mark for me. Like the two of you, I don't get how he could get so good so fast, but I'm just going to accept it since the guy is clearly very smart and likely a highly skilled fighters already. The other two characters seen so far seem cool, and the 4th should be as well. Much like Akari, I just want to know who they are, where they came from, what their motivation is, and why it is that these 4 are THAT massive of a threat. 

Still, this is already much better than most of the last season and should be better than the first as well. Hopefully they are able to keep this up.

Alright guys, I've been snooping around and while I haven't found anything about the villains yet. Which is what I think we all really want to know more about, that and the airbender conundrum, there is some shocking coincidences that have begun to pile up, so much so that I no longer think that they are coincidences. So bare with me. The rest of the post will be contained in a spoiler. In the next day or so I am going to stop shoving things in spoilers, because yeah.

[spoiler=Really Super Interesting, please give it a read]

The first thing I want to point out, is that the villains are all guarded by members of the White Lotus. This, at first, didn't mean anything to me until I was reminded that the White Lotus, currently, is tasked with protecting the Avatar. Now, obviously, this doesn't mean much as the White Lotus obviously is a wide operation and no doubt has lots of duties to attend to, but still, it is good to note this little tidbit before we get further into this explanation.

I am sure that we can all recall Korra's entrance at the start of Book 1. "I'm the Avatar and you gotta deal with it!" At the age of 4, Korra, and the world, realized that she was the next Avatar. Now obviously this is important for the series, for reasons, but again just another mindless fact that doesn't really matter, right? Wrong. But let's continue.

Now we will actually focus on the villains themselves. If you recall back, to I think it was the third episode, Zuko and Korra's father, accompanied by Eska and Dreska(right?), visited the fourth member of the villainous team. A firebender skilled in the art of psycho-combustion firebending. Do you remember what her words were when she saw her visitors? Something about not having anyone interesting to visit with for the past 13 years. Now, it can be assumed that the rest of these criminals were locked up in a similar time frame, as they have worked together before. We know that when the waterbender referred to combusion woman as the airbender's 'girlfriend'. So obviously they all have some past connection.

Now, let's remember, that Korra has been locked up in a compound for most of her life. From the age of 4 to 17, she has been locked up for the sake of what we can only assume to be her protection. But why? I mean for God's sake, it has been proven that the Avatar comes out of almost every dangerous situation alive. Take, for example, Aang's flight, ultimately sparing him from extinction and his miraculous revival after Azula shot him down. The Avatar is a force to be reckoned with, so why all the security not. Especially, if things are relatively peaceful.

Now let's do some math. 17. Korra's age. 4. Korra's age when she discovered she was the Avatar. 13. Number of years prisoners have been incarcerated. 17-4=13. 

And so here's the point, if you haven't already gotten here. These criminals aren't attempting to kill Korra for the first time. They did it thirteen years ago, ultimately landing Korra in a compound protected by the White Lotus. This is further perpetuated by the fact that Zuko knew these criminals would be going after Korra. This is not a new vendetta, this is something that goes back to when Korra was little. I SMELL JUICY PLOT AND BACKSTORY!

[/spoiler]

Also, don't forget guys that there will not be a new episode this week. Due to the 4th of July(American Independence Day), Nick has interrupted their regular programming and Korra will resume on July 11th. Also, a clip has been released of the 4th episode. I'd link you guys to it, but I am too lazy and you have keyboards of your own

About the spoiler, I find it to be a very interesting way to give out subtle hints about them.

[spoiler=While on their topic, I'm curious about something else]

They all 4 are different kinds of benders. Even with the mixing of bloodlines, the world is still mostly divided the same as when Aang was young, except for Republic City where the most diversity is. That makes me wonder about their back story even more.

About the airbenders popping out, I think I have a possible theory that depends on a few unsaid factors about the series.

We'd have to assume that during the Vaatu incident at Wan's time, the Lion Turtles left a few people with the power of some element in them without claiming it back.

That or we can assume that when a Lion Turtles give away an element, said element is linked to their soul and so attainable in future lifetimes of each person killed by Vaatu. Though this second possibility doesn't hold up on it's own because I'm trying to get to how benders spread so much over the years as to become a sizable part of the population now. It could be a little of both, but I'll lean on the first one more because I can only find the explanation of them being inherited through an extensive bloodline that mixed up into the general population through centuries. 

I have the feeling the above paragraph is incredibly weird and confusing, but if you got me there, this is what I'm getting at:

Maybe the reason the gates being open now awakens some people as benders when their being open during Wan's time was because the general population didn't have it in their bloodlines even dormant within them yet. The Lion Turtles in general used to be very restrictive and strict about lending their element temporarily, after all. This is all I can think of.

However there'd still be a huge hole in this: Why is it that only Air is popping out? My guess is gonna sound very vague, but maybe there's gonna be some far eastern wisdom words attached to this in the future, since Avatar is known to grab reference from them. I am gonna assume it's gonna be something about the universe naturally trying to get in balance by itself perpetually, as the potential explanation about why we don't see other elements suddenly creating benders. Just a hunch, and I'm not referencing anything in particular when talking in this paragraph.

[/spoiler]

I pretty much identify with what Akari hypothesizes. I read a theory very similar a few days ago and is still the most plausible thing that I've heard to explain it. I just hope that they touch on it in the season...although I have a feeling they are going to leave it at: "Airbenders because airbenders!"

Pretty much agree with everything said already. I like Korra even more now (though I always found most of her actions justifiable in the first place).

I also think Airbenders are the only new element popping up because the world is naturally trying to right itself.

[spoiler=Spoiler]Also, I loved that whole bit with Zuko (who is now pretty much his great-granddad Roku, which is awesome) and Eska about avatar killing. And now we have Sparky Sparky Boom Woman![/spoiler]

Pretty much agree with everything said already. I like Korra even more now (though I always found most of her actions justifiable in the first place).

I also think Airbenders are the only new element popping up because the world is naturally trying to right itself.

[spoiler=Spoiler]Also, I loved that whole bit with Zuko (who is now pretty much his great-granddad Roku, which is awesome) and Eska about avatar killing. And now we have Sparky Sparky Boom Woman![/spoiler]

I am quite excited about everything the book has presented so far. Especially excited to learn more about these villains. And I agree that Korra's actions have always been justifiable, but, unfortunately, a lot of the fandom disagrees. 

I've heard rumblings that when Korra returns on the 11th that there will be two episodes airing. I think they are just trying to get caught up with the leaks, but holy crap! We are going to fly through this book.

I feel bad knowing that episode 4, 5, and 6, were accidentally leaked by Spanish-speaking Nick and I missed them (they got taken down shortly after). If I had been checking up on it. Though to be fair, I actually wasn't all that excited about this season because giant Korra x giant Unalaq fight was something I just didn't enjoy, along with a few other things. Wan was great, but not great enough to make up for Season 2 as a whole. Good thing this 3rd season is shaping up well so far though.

Considering Spanish is my primary language, I could have taken advantage of that.....

I heard it's gonna be a 3-hour special. One can assume they'll re-run the first 3 episodes back to back, and then follow up with the 3 extra ones that got leaked.

I feel bad knowing that episode 4, 5, and 6, were accidentally leaked by Spanish-speaking Nick and I missed them (they got taken down shortly after). If I had been checking up on it. Though to be fair, I actually wasn't all that excited about this season because giant Korra x giant Unalaq fight was something I just didn't enjoy, along with a few other things. Wan was great, but not great enough to make up for Season 2 as a whole. Good thing this 3rd season is shaping up well so far though.

Considering Spanish is my primary language, I could have taken advantage of that.....

I heard it's gonna be a 3-hour special. One can assume they'll re-run the first 3 episodes back to back, and then follow up with the 3 extra ones that got leaked.

Last I saw Nick had only confirmed that episodes 4 and 5 would be playing. I am sure that you could find the leaked episodes. Lots of people made them downloadable and such. Have you tried the links located earlier in this thread?

I'm digging the 3rd season so far. But the one thing I'm not really digging is the way they're going about rounding up airbenders.

See, bending shouldn't be correlated with culture. If some of the airbenders want to uproot their entire lives to become monks up in the sky, then cool for them, but I completely sympathize with anyone refusing to do so. I wouldn't go with them.

Aside from that, we got a more likable Korra, a potential interesting character in the new kid (maybe) and I liked how they didn't muck up drama between Korra and Asami over Mako. I actually liked their exchange in the car.

All the bending has been fluid and awesome as always, not sure how I feel about the bad guys yet, but I liked the way the armless waterbender fought. And Fire Lord Zuko's probably the best part so far.

I'm digging the 3rd season so far. But the one thing I'm not really digging is the way they're going about rounding up airbenders.

See, bending shouldn't be correlated with culture. If some of the airbenders want to uproot their entire lives to become monks up in the sky, then cool for them, but I completely sympathize with anyone refusing to do so. I wouldn't go with them.

Aside from that, we got a more likable Korra, a potential interesting character in the new kid (maybe) and I liked how they didn't muck up drama between Korra and Asami over Mako. I actually liked their exchange in the car.

All the bending has been fluid and awesome as always, not sure how I feel about the bad guys yet, but I liked the way the armless waterbender fought. And Fire Lord Zuko's probably the best part so far.

I kind of see where Tenzin is coming from there because as Iroh explained Zuko back in ATLA, each element comes with its own phylosophy. Though it is evident that those teachings have become twisted by the sentiment of tradition over time. Now the air nomad tradition represents being chained to trying to preserve an almost lost culture, as opposed to when it truly represented freedom. People get too caught up in tradition and forget why it's there in the first place. I think even Unalaq said this at some point.... hmmm now I feel weird...

Iroh did break out of those concepts that defined each element, showing that one can adapt that element's ideology into any other element and discover new things. Like how Iroh redirected lightning by learning from water benders.

I also wouldn't go with them. I think they should have offered their guidance without making them give up their lives in the process. THEN if they like it, they'll be able to choose freely if they want something else and give the air temples a shot or if they are still happy the way they live. After all, air benders were nomads, so it's not too far fetched.

And random trivia: Zuko is not the Fire Lord here. They just called him "Lord Zuko" for a reason. He already gave up that tittle to the next generation a while ago. It's not something that the episodes say, but Avatar's creators have mentioned the current Fire Lord being his daughter, who is more or less the same age as Tenzin or Lin Beifong currently.

Last I saw Nick had only confirmed that episodes 4 and 5 would be playing. I am sure that you could find the leaked episodes. Lots of people made them downloadable and such. Have you tried the links located earlier in this thread?

I think I did but my internet wasn't the best... I should try that again.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like someone beat me to the punch! Yeah, LOK is going digital and I honestly don't know how I feel about it. For one thing, it makes it a lot easier for the majority of fans to watch the show online, but it could also mean that the studio is giving up on them and after this book they're calling it quits. I hope that isn't the case, but with the way Nick has been running Korra related stuff, I wouldn't be surprised.

Archived