[Serious] Staff AUA

Night

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would never seriously consider a previously perma-banned member on the basis that even if I trusted them enough to be allowed back, I would never trust them with actual power, least of all the ability to ban or unban other members.

Why is that?

Why is that?

Firstly, because I would never want to give any sort of power or authority to people who were, at one point, considered terrible, trolly members to the point of a permaban. Those are the people who are most likely to abuse power for their own amusement, even if the abuse is harmless, such as playing around with topic names or member names.

Secondly, I would never want to give any opportunity for previous perma-ban members to possibly unban their compatriots that have not earned the benefit of the doubt regarding reformed behaviors, or even their old accounts.

Firstly, because I would never want to give any sort of power or authority to people who were, at one point, considered terrible, trolly members to the point of a permaban. Those are the people who are most likely to abuse power for their own amusement, even if the abuse is harmless, such as playing around with topic names or member names.

Secondly, I would never want to give any opportunity for previous perma-ban members to possibly unban their compatriots that have not earned the benefit of the doubt regarding reformed behaviors, or even their old accounts.

So it entirely comes down to your personal opinion that people can't change?

Would you trust a serial killer who's said "I've changed" to run a country or hold any position of power?
It's not that he doesn't think people don't change but that the risk far out weighs the benefit.

Also there are plenty of candidates for mod ship who aren't/weren't banned that I'm pretty sure would get priority if that makes sense.

Would you trust a serial killer who's said "I've changed" to run a country or hold any position of power?
It's not that he doesn't think people don't change but that the risk far out weighs the benefit.

And it's standard procedure imo.

Would you want to disqualify someone who was part of gang when they were a teenage and served 10 years in jail from holding public office?  I sure wouldn't.  

Also, blanketly disqualifying banned members isn't saying the risks out weight the benefit.  It's saying you don't believe people can change.  If you wanted to weigh risks against benefits you'd say it should be a case by case analysis.  You gotta actually think about the implications of blanket policies please.

I was thinking about exceptions but exceptions just leave room for error and more exceptions.

I'm a believer in firm rules with little to no exceptions.

Exceptions honestly make a system look weak and questionable, among other things.

Hell I have yet to see a member who's been banned stick around long enough to deserve mod ship and if they DO I think that they would have honestly proved themselves in that time if they were capable of being a mod. In which case, a very rare exception could be seen.

Now that I think about it the largest issue is that it's never been seen before and no one has ever came back and shown themselves to be…worthy of the position. If you look, most banned members are either spamming or just casually posting. At the moment I'd say it's not going to happen due to the nature of the people that do come back.

I was thinking about exceptions but exceptions just leave room for error and more exceptions.

I'm a believer in firm rules with little to no exceptions.

Exceptions honestly make a system look weak and questionable, among other things.

Yes because the YCM system should be worried about looking weak and questionable.  It's not like rule number one is "staff have final say" which is literally a rule about exceptions.  

So here is the thing.  I doubt anyone on YCM besides me actually knows the circumstances around my bad. I'm sure you all assume you know s***, but you don't. Allow me to explain things to put this into context.

The day was some random day in something like October. Kanade posted a 60 card deck.  There was a rule that people couldn't post decks over 50 cards.  I called her out.  Did I care about the deck she posted? No.  I just hated that rules were being enforced arbitrarily and I wanted the rule to change.  Well I maybe didn't tackle the situation right, but I ended up perma banned by Opal. Leading up to that I'd been perma'd once by YCM as a glitch after I got pissed at Marble (though we worked that out) and once because Jesse, Ser, AND BYAKK posted horse dicks using my account.  

Welche shouldn't have been banned anyways.

I'm not saying that he should be a mod, but in a case like his it's stupid to never allow him the opportunity because he didn't f*** it up- the mods did.

So here is the thing.  I doubt anyone on YCM besides me actually knows the circumstances around my bad. I'm sure you all assume you know s***, but you don't. Allow me to explain things to put this into context.

The day was some random day in something like October. Kanade posted a 60 card deck.  There was a rule that people couldn't post decks over 50 cards.  I called her out.  Did I care about the deck she posted? No.  I just hated that rules were being enforced arbitrarily and I wanted the rule to change.  Well I maybe didn't tackle the situation right, but I ended up perma banned by Opal (though i assume Josh was involved). Leading up to that I'd been perma'd once by YCM as a glitch after I got pissed at Marble (though we worked that out) and once because Jesse, Ser, AND BYAKK posted horse dicks using my account.  

See I do think that rare exceptions exist, and this would be an example.

Also, providing actual reasoning that other people can back up would be key.

Now proving yourself to be worthy of a mod position is the thing...

See I do think that rare exceptions exist, and this would be an example.

Also, providing actual reasoning that other people can back up would be key.

Now proving yourself to be worthy of a mod position is the thing...

So now you agree that it should be a case by case basis?

It's not that I believe people can't change. On the contrary, I'm usually willing to give people a chance, barring circumstances where that individual's presence has been poisonous. However, they would definitely not be my first choice when it comes to giving them power and authority, and that person would almost certainly be under intense scrutiny even if they did manage to convince me to give them power.

The original question was purely hypothetical; could a perma-banned member become a mod. I would probably argue against it, but if the rest of the mod team felt that member had merits as a mod despite their past, then I would give them a chance. It's not a blanket disqualification, but because of the past, they are unlikely to get chosen.

Regarding Welche's permaban, I will confirm: Welche should never have gotten the permaban. He was at most, a nuisance who happened to be friends with the troll members, and he continued to be the member the mods were most indecisive about.

What about members who were banned before, but mostly because of usual shenanigans?(IE, "harmless" spamming)
Like, Rod for example.

So now you agree that it should be a case by case basis?

I want to say yes but I'm actually shifting to neutral at the moment.

This case was proven to be an exception, it was.

But seriously the amount of effort it takes to get unbanned and redeem one's self and climb back up the ladder sounds like a pain and I wonder why any banned member would pursue it xDDD

I want to say yes but I'm actually shifting to neutral at the moment.

This case was proven to be an exception, it was.

But seriously the amount of effort it takes to get unbanned and redeem one's self and climb back up the ladder sounds like a pain and I wonder why any banned member would pursue it xDDD

From my point of view, YCM has been part of my life for over 5 years now and while it's changed a lot I've grown to love the community.  I've joined DGz, Pojo, DNF, YGOetc, CGC, and even /r/yugioh and none of them have the same feeling of being a community as YCM.  It's more worthwhile being a member here than any other site

Archived