[Serious] Staff AUA

Night

Just to make it more serious...

What do you do to be considered as a candidate for being a mod?
What age are all the mods?
Can I be a mod?

1. Be a helpful person and contribute to the forum or demonstrate your maturity and ability to get things done. Preferably, do all of that.

2. Age doesn't matter. I was 15 when I became a mod, if that gives any indication.

3. Did you do number 1? And we currently don't have any need for new moderators right now.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends on when there's an opening. In my case, the previous Your Deck mod had left for RL reasons or something, so when I was decided upon, that was my section. When Pika left, I took her section as well because I already frequented the section and often did moderation duties there anyway, so there wasn't a need for a new mod for it.

How candidates are selected varies, whether it be member nominations, recommendations, whatever. Then the entire mod team can debate the merits of each candidate, though admittedly a portion never really weighs in, either due to indifference or not knowing the member/section well enough to judge. We usually look at things like how active the member is, their knowledge base of the section, their attitude or temperament, etc.

Generally speaking, mods are moderating sections they have personal interest in.

What glory days in particular? The days where trolly members ran rampant and were never punished to any reasonable extent because they had been around for a long time? Nope.

Unless you mean different glory days.

See the issue is you joined in 2009 so you have different glory days than Luna.  Luna enjoyed 2008-2009 when general was the most active section on the site.

What did you all do to become mods?

Pretty much act mature, contribute to whatever section we're responsible for dealing with and then get asked if we wanted to do it.

In Striker, mine and Saber's cases, things were a little bit different, but follows the first two.

Not commenting on killing Striker other than saying answer is no. He already explained it.

Since we're talking about banned people, I have a few questions:

1.)  When was the last time Draco was seen?  Was that his name?  FUCK I FORGET.  You know who I'm getting at, yeah?  "Remember, remember, the fifth of December" or some shit?  Him.

2.)  I saw TotalObelisk's name pop up once or twice, not so long ago.  Did he drop by the mod forums, or just kinda stalk the board?  I liked that guy.

3.)  There's a couple mods that got dropped and kicked or w/e a while ago.  Tea, Crab, and someone else.  The hell was that about?

Can I be a mod?

1) Be active, be relatively mature, be a good member...even then, it depends on the section and there's a lot of factors that are harder to explain.

2) I'm currently 25, but age is more or less irrelevant, so I don't know anyone else's age.

3) Maybe someday in the future. Too many variables to say anything else.

I didn't actually do anything. As my story goes, there was an opening in Your Deck (I didn't even know about) and the mod team decided to ask for nominations (I didn't know about that, either). I got enough nominations to have me seriously considered, and of the other nominees, the mods decided almost unanimously that I was the best choice.

So from my point of view, I got asked to be a mod out of nowhere.

But as far as why I was considered, it was because I was an active member, was knowledgeable about the game, but willing to learn more and have real discussions in topics. I was likeable, despised trolling and acting out, was a polite person, etc.

How diverse are you all in terms of social stereotypes? What stereotypes do you depict each other to be?

I don't really know how many of us can be put under stereotypes. Unfortunately, because I don't really interact with the other mods in other settings, I don't even have a solid grasp of their personalities.

1.)  When was the last time Draco was seen?  Was that his name?  FUCK I FORGET.  You know who I'm getting at, yeah?  "Remember, remember, the fifth of December" or some shit?  Him.

2.)  I saw TotalObelisk's name pop up once or twice, not so long ago.  Did he drop by the mod forums, or just kinda stalk the board?  I liked that guy.

3.)  There's a couple mods that got dropped and kicked or w/e a while ago.  Tea, Crab, and someone else.  The hell was that about?

1) No idea who he is.

2) Barely remember the name. Don't know much.

3) ...also no idea. Crab I think left the forum.

Can I be a mod?

1. Pretty much act mature, obey the rules, contribute to the section that you're most interested in. Gaining the respect of members is also needed; otherwise people won't get along with you. As evil mentioned, it depends on the section. (Custom Cards is a tricky one, since you need to be able to promote good design of cards and other things, while doing general mod duties in enforcing rules, breaking up arguments, dealing with reports, etc)

If the current staff thinks that you're ready, then you'll get asked.

2. The age of the staff members vary. I'm 19 right now; will be 20 in mid-November. Some of us have our ages listed on profile if you really want to know.

3. Let's see how well you act for the next several months. If you do everything in #1, you may be considered; though we don't need any new mods right now. Granted, there are some sections that lack a moderator, but more or less we can just step in and deal with things outside of our sections.

1. I vaguely remember him back in 2011 or something, but other than that, I have no idea.

2. When I joined in 2009, think he was either Former Mod or in charge of some section I don't remember. I think he's still around at odd times, but can't be sure.

3. Yankee got demoted recently because he didn't really have a section + didn't care much about maintaining his job from what I've heard. That's about the only recent stuff.

Icy left the forum sometime in early 2013. Opal/Cinnamon Star left because of real life things. 

Can I be a mod?

1. Basically not be an idiot all the time and be sensible.

2. I'm 22 but from Night's voice I know he is like 7 or something. :3

3. uh.....maybe?

1.) When was the last time Draco was seen? Was that his name? FUCK I FORGET. You know who I'm getting at, yeah? "Remember, remember, the fifth of December" or some shit? Him.

2.) I saw TotalObelisk's name pop up once or twice, not so long ago. Did he drop by the mod forums, or just kinda stalk the board? I liked that guy.

3.) There's a couple mods that got dropped and kicked or w/e a while ago. Tea, Crab, and someone else. The hell was that about?

1. No clue, but iirc he had these massive plans for the forum but they were things nobody wanted. That coupled with lol YCMaker activity he just left.

2. I think he haunts CC but haven't seen him in a while. He was mod when I did cards, if that gives others a time frame.

3. Well, let us just say that some old/inactive mods liked to come back and do random things without consulting anybody else. Crab got the joy of being banned by YCMaker for getting his account. We unbanned him/her after our lord went awol again though.

EDIT:

I believe I was similar to evilfusion's case, except I was co-mod with another (Minor B ?). I was actually the second choice, not the first. Got co-mod because Marble Zone (previous general mod) was a freaking machine. Then my partner resigned because I forget why and so here we are.

LZ: It's Miror B. And I'm not sure, but I think he feared being corrupted with that much power if memory serves me correctly.
Divine:

1. My case is very interesting tbh given the circumstances. Think of me as the big picture person of the group if that helps you imagine my role as CC mod.

2. I am 19. I think Sakura is 19 as well. Not sure about Zextra and .Saber though, but I think Zextra is in his late teens or early twenties since I know he's in college. *shrugs*

3. Maybe, though not in the foreseeable future.

Good for you.

As for me

Excalibur:

1) Sushi put me forward as far as I can remember because anime/manga never had a mod before (Although Flame and Roxas keep most of it clean nowadays and I just for a while was a spambot killer). Most other people need to prove themselves through contributions and maturity in a section. Can't stand people who just act like idiots because someone else said something silly, they need to be the bigger person. Having a good idea about the section is always a good thing too, for example we don't want people who have no idea about CC modding CC.

2) I might be one of the eldest mods, I'm 26. (27 in October eep)

3) I don't know you that well, so I would have no idea.

I think I already explained this earlier in the thread, but essentially Black made a thread about how CC needed to have its rules reinforced in the wake of Zextra being gone most of the time. At some point in thread, Night gave permission to just nominate ourselves for the position (though back in the old days, asking to be mod showed that you probably weren't ready for it). I pretty much showed interest in helping Zex keep CC in line and laid out the plans for what I'd do if I got chosen; a week or so later, Aix sent me a PM saying I was considered with two questions: What am I going to do if chosen? and Why should I be picked over the next person?

Thing went up for discussion in area and then got promoted about 3-4 weeks ago. Not exactly a traditional way, but that's just what happened. It helped that I was in CC enough to understand what the problems were in the section, and what needed to be fixed.

@Striker: Yeah, I'm 19 years, going on 20 in middle of November. Saber is 17, so a bit younger than both of us. Not sure how old Zextra is, but he's probably around my age [older by a few days/months] or somewhere in his 20s.

@Yin: You probably are the oldest mod, followed by evilfusion. Except for Night/Zextra, all of our ages should be visible on profile [evil and LZ already mentioned their ages here]. Aix is around 16-17, I think.

night's like 9 he just tries too hard on teamspeak

i'm worried, he'll strain his darling voice

I'm actually good friends with Draco outside the forums so I can sorta answer that.  He showed up December 2013 most recently.

Didn't he use to have his own forum? idk what it was called. Still, pretty cool that Draco is still alive. First memories of Showcase were him, Altair and problematica shitting on newbies.

Archived