Super Showdown Society (closed)

You kinda miss out on Pyukumuku's best quality by letting it kill itself.

Nah its ability is good for utility. You CAN let it die and do damage but you don't have to. Plus it makes people not want to KO it right away so it gives a good chance to use Z-Memento. Baton Pass, Recover, Toxic, Z-Memento.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought up a fun little thing we can do while this tournament is ongoing. The basic idea is to make up ideas for mega evolutions. I think quite a lot of us were disappointed by the lack of new megas in Gen VII, so this should relieve that a bit.

[spoiler=How do mega evolutions work, you may ask]

It's pretty simple, really. The stat total for a mega evolution is 100 higher than that of the base form. Sometimes, this is just by adding onto a few stats (such as Lopunny) though in other cases they actually lose out on one or more stats so that their gains are even higher, such as with Garchomp.

Some mega evolutions change in type. Lopunny, for example, gains fighting type when it mega evolves. Aggron actually loses rock-type, becoming pure steel.

Finally, a mega evolution can result in change of ability. While some end up with their hidden ability, or just stick with what they typically have, others gain something that makes them vastly more powerful. Once again, I'd like to use Lopunny as an example. With Scrappy, she gains full neutral coverage, and moves like Fake Out become vastly more reliable.

So, if any of you are interested, I would love to see the mega evolutions you design.

Oh, also, I beat Faytl. It was an awesome game. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-529971328

[spoiler=Since Spaz is being mysterious lol]I was such an idiot. When I saw Minior I was like "Okay I burn it and it's handled easily" and totally forgot about the ability. Then I was like "Welp Marowak is dead let's just click SR.

Had I just attacked for any sort of damage it would have been 5 v 4 and he'd have lost two of his sweepers. I am a dumb.

Guess this just means I have to not lose any more matches eh?

YUI WHY U SWITCH IN BIRB ON THUNDER OH GOD THE POOR PELICAN

IN MY DEFENSE. I HAD ONLY JUST FINISHED BREAKFAST AT THAT TIME. IT HAD NOT YET DAWNED UPON ME THAT THUNDER IS A COMMONLY-USED GALVANTULA MOVE, BUT I REALIZED THE ERROR OF MY WAYS PRETTY MUCH IMMEDIATELY.

I thought up a fun little thing we can do while this tournament is ongoing. The basic idea is to make up ideas for mega evolutions. I think quite a lot of us were disappointed by the lack of new megas in Gen VII, so this should relieve that a bit.

Oh, also, I beat Faytl. It was an awesome game. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-529971328

Indeed it was. I really should have seen that Tapu Lele switch coming, but I completely forgot about Psychic Terrain. Should have worked harder to keep Celesteela alive as well, it was pretty much the only thing that could really take out Phermosa while Tapu Lele was around.

In regards to your Mega Evolution idea:

I've always thought that Megas should go to Pokemon that are interesting or cool or have potential, but ultimately fall short (thanks for nothing on the Mega Flygon front, Gamefreak. No, Dragon Dance is not enough). With this in mind I've chosen a Pokemon from my favorite generation that I think is really cool but it's just so bad competetively.

Mega Luxray

Electric/Dark

HP 80

ATK 150

DEF 93

SPATK 80

SPDEF 115

SPD 115

Ability: Grounding (Ground-Type moves that damage this Pokemon become Electric-Type)

Luxray has always been one of the more impressive generation 4 Pokemon visually. Sleek, powerful, and also sporting a color scheme that sets it apart from other electric types and makes it distinct. However, with a very limited movepool, most of its attacks learned through level-up being Electric, Dark, or Normal, and very limited coverage options otherwise, it can't dish out a lot of damage despite an impressive base 120 attack stat, its low speed of 70 also holding it back a lot.

This Mega Evolution would do a lot to fix that. 80/79/79 defenses aren't horrid, but these boosts allow Luxray to tank more hits than before, especially with the fact that its regular form can have Intimidate before it Mega Evolves. This is assisted further by its weakness to Ground, an always effective and useful attacking type in Earthquake, being changed to a resistance with the ability Grounding, while giving it new weaknesses in Bug and Fighting so as to maintain some balance while still being nowhere near as paper-thin. A Dark typing is added to give Luxray a second STAB and make it more proficient and capable of dealing with more threats, and its a change I've actually seen in several ROM hacks.

Speed and attack are ramped up, turning Luxray into not only a longer-lived Pokemon, but a dangerous battlecruiser of a beast. Still not capable of dishing out huge amounts of damage on some Pokemon, since its only real coverage outside of Electric and Dark attacks are Fire Fang and Ice Fang. FIRE FANG AND ICE FANG. In a perfect world, Luxray would have access to Flare Blitz (Arcanine gets Wild Charge, so I don't see why not). In addition I dumped Special Attack down a few points, because really Luxray has no reason to use it, not getting anything notable as a special attacker outside of Thunderbolt, Volt Switch, Snarl if you're into Doubles format (just use Mandibuzz instead, trust me), and of course Hidden Power.

I hope my offering is impressive.

Giving Luxray DARK and such a massive physical attack stat makes it a lot scarier. I think it would be reasonable to give it access to pursuit as well (not as part of the mega evolution, more like lopunny gaining hi-jump kick).

Seriously, this design really impressed me. It helps luxray fit a role that not much else currently inhabits, with a ridiculous STAB combo of wild charge and crunch.

It has no weaknesses with that ability

Um, what? Fighting, fairy, bug..?

Anyway, time for a few megas of my own.

[spoiler=Mega-Roserade]

Type: Fairy/Poison

Ability: Merciless

-Stats

HP: 60

Atk: 70

Def: 65

SpA: 160 (+35)

SpD: 105

Spe: 155 (+65)

The boosts go completely toward Roserade's special attack and speed stats, allowing it to act as a powerful revenge-killer, similar to Alakazam, albeit with very different STAB options. Merciless allows any hits on poisoned targets to automatically count as criticals, vastly boosting Mega-Roserade's damage output when used with teammates who land poison often, such as Toxapex or utility Excadrill (stab critical fairy move will decimate mega sableye).

Additionally, Roserade would gain access to the move Fleur Cannon (previously exclusive to Magearna) as an incredibly strong STAB fairy move beyond Dazzling gleam. This helps it hit neutral hard enough to ward away potential checks.

Overall, Mega-Roserade is an incredibly powerful pokemon, with a strong type combination for both offense and defense, but outside of teams that can consistently land poison on opposing pokemon, she falls short of other revenge killers such as Mega-Alakazam.

[spoiler=Mega-Crobat]

Type: Poison/Flying

Ability: Tinted Lens

-Stats

HP: 85

Atk: 125 (+35)

Def: 85 (+5) 

SpA: 70

SpD: 95 (+15)

Spe: 175 (+45)

Let's be honest with ourselves. There are two things Crobat wants to be doing. U-Turn and Brave Bird. Unfortunately, neither of those types are particularly good for attacking types, which is where the ability Tinted Lens comes into play. It makes up for attacks being "not very effective" by doubling there damage, effectively nullifying the resistance. This, combined with Mega-Crobat's now incredible base 125 attack, make u-turn incredibly potent, and Brave Bird absolutely world-ending. For coverage, Crobat already has the move Cross-Poison, and a likely set would consist of it, BB, u-turn, and either Roost or Defog, depending on what the team needs.

With these changes, Crobat mega-evolves into a lightning-fast bruiser, competing with pokemon such as Pheromosa and Tapu-Koko, or even forming hyper-offensive cores with either or both of the two, its immunity to ground-type attacks providing another angle to gain momentum through constant use of u-turn and volt switch.

[spoiler=Mega-Arbok]

Is my favorite type obvious yet?

Type: Poison/Dark

Ability: Potent Fangs (secondary effect chances of bite-based moves are doubled, and bite attacks deal 1.5x damage on targets affected by a status condition)

-Stats

HP: 60

Atk: 123 (+28)

Def: 110 (+41)

SpA: 40 (-25)

SpD: 100 (+31)

Spe: 115 (+25)

Potent Venom, honestly, was an excuse for me to break the move Poison Fang, bringing it to 100% of badly poisoning the target. Additionally, it can then boost the power to 75, which is respectable for STAB in a type like Poison. Furthermore, it boost both the damage and Def-reduction of Crunch, which becomes a STAB move with Mega-Arbok's type change. Another benefit of this type change beyond powerful STAB is giving Arbok an incredibly powerful defensive typing combination, giving an immunity to psychic-type attacks and resistance to 4 other types, with the only remaining weakness being Ground.

Overall, Mega-Arbok does best when well-supported to make up for its lackluster HP stat, but its bulky defenses, decent-tier speed, and high attack combined with ability to inflict statuses through its various attacks boosted by its ability round it out well for stall or balance teams.

Um, what? Fighting, fairy, bug..?

Anyway, time for a few megas of my own

Dude I literally posted that when I was dead tired because you asked me to.

Also phil and Byakuya still need to battle (I saw an attempt to get in contact)

and aspect and Formantis needs to battle.

Archived