[Finished]Battle Phase is The Soul of Yu-Gi-Oh! [CC Side Monthly] [NO MORE ENTRIES PLZ]

Refer to this This thread for the gist of this.

Anyway. This is an unofficial spinoff not directly connected to Sakura's CC Monthly series. This one's a bit less... I dunno, stiff. And maybe more evil when it comes to the judging, but who knows, really.

Theme

As we all know, lately Battle Phase is becoming less and less relevant in Yu-GI-Oh. Serving only to inflict massive damage to the opponent in a single turn after wiping their field, instead of being a sacred ground for battle and killing other monsters. As such, the theme for this is relatively simple:

Make a boss monster whose main effect tie into Battling in some way.

Xyz, Synchro, Pendulum, Fusion, Effect Monster, Ritual, really anything goes. Provided it fits the usual criteria of boss monsters (Requires resources to get out, typically carry a pretty powerful effect, etc), you can make it any form you want.

Deadline

April 30th GMT +7. Though, I'll try to get judging done before then.

Entry is closed around a week from now, if there are at least 7 participants. If not, then we can start judging process immediately then~

Entry Fee

None. Nada. Nil. Zilch. Etc.

*From here below is copypasted from Sakura's thread*

Rules

1. Standard YCM and Custom Cards rules apply in this section. Please remember to abide by / follow them in this contest. 

2. Written Cards will be accepted, however if you opt to do this; do not use the cardmaker to generate a pictureless image. Just type it out in text format. 

3. When posting a card, make sure that you have its lore posted beneath, so it is easier for the judges to read your effect. Also make sure that you post it properly using the cardmaker. 

4. You are allowed to make edits to your card until the deadline, HOWEVER you should have already designed the card as a final product. 

5. The usage of Fake Types / Attributes, as well as DIVINE, Divine-Beast and Creator God is expressly forbidden.
You are expected to design a card that adheres to the current standards set by Konami (usage of the existing 23 legal Types + 6 Attributes).

Also remember to abide by the max. 5000 ATK/DEF rules for original stats.

Prizing

1st - 1500 points + 3 reps
2nd - 1000 points + 2 reps
3rd -  500 points + 1 rep

Additional prizes may be given out, if needed. 

Judges

I will be accepting two members to help me judge entries.

Remember that you need to have passed the exam in order to qualify.

My grading criteria is provided in the discussion thread, so I will not post it here.

Post if you're interested.

[spoiler=Toyo's Judging Criteria]

Originality: X/10 - Basically how creative the effect is. Please note that creative doesn't necessarily mean inventing a whole new mechanic for your card, a unique spin on a classic, common Yu-Gi-Oh effect is more than welcome~

Balance: X/10 - Self-explanatory, really. I'm normally more lenient on this, since even though balance is directly tied into design, it's not entirely dependent on one-another. Just try to make a well-designed, not-completely off the rockers card, okay?

Usability: X/10 - Well, maybe not usablity, but rather, does your card do what it's supposed to do, and how well does it do it? *note: I won't be looking at it from a competitive standpoint*

Flavor: X/10 - Yummy, delicious flavor. Something that's kinda been missing in cardmaking lately. You get the drill with this one.

Theme: X/10 - How much the card ties into the theme. Some chance for you to get bonus points~!

OCG: X/0 - I really don't give a fuck about OCG, to be honest.

[/spoiler]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[spoiler Entry]Acid Serpent King
Level 10/ Reptile-Type
3000 Atk/ 2700 Def
1 Reptile-Type Tuner monster + 1 or more WIND non-Tuner monster(s)
When this monster destroys another monster by battle, you can place 2 Acidic Poison Counters on the nearest adjacent monster(s) your opponent controls. Monsters with Acidic Poison Counters are switched to defense position and cannot change their position; also any effects of those monsters are negated. If a monster with an Acidic Poison Counter would be destroyed by battle or by card effect, place 2 Acidic Poison Counters on the nearest adjacent monster(s).[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Entry]wBMWlKT.jpg?1
Daemon's Dive Bomber/Strike Fighter Archfiend
DARK
Level 7
Fiend/Synchro/Effect
1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner Fiend-type monsters
This attacking card cannot be destroyed by battle, and a monster that battles this attacking card has its effect(s) on the field negated until the end of the Battle Phase. During your Battle Phase, if this card destroyed an opponent's monster by battle this turn: You can tribute this card; Special Summon 1 Fiend-type monster from your hand in attack position, and if you do, add 1 Fiend-type monster from your Graveyard to your hand. You can only Special Summon 1 "Strike Fighter Archfiend" per turn.
2700/1700[/spoiler][spoiler=Design Notes]So let's get started!

I started with a CFV card known as Dudley Lucifer's art. The card was much the same concept asit borrowed from Dudley Lucifer's clan, Spike Brothers, aside from the name and polishing. But, as I designed, I felt that art didn't do this card justice. So I switched to the art that is before you. And it fits the name so much better,

If you look at the name and stats, you should see why; 27/17? How about losing 100 ATK and gaining 100 DEF? Now reread the name. There you go! I was originally going to give it 0 DEF, as per the Spike Brothers, but decided to go with making it a "Strike Fighter" in exchange for that. It still has most of the original intent, just more intent otherwise.

As for Archfiend... Well, I'm a sucker for making RDA based (Daemon's), Chaos King Archfiend based (Level 7), and D/D/D Based fiend synchros. They're just... fun to design. Fiends in general are, but I particularly love those three things. So they meshed together.

The card allows you to make a technical "+1" in the form of an extra attack, but is overall just transferring value. And you can only SS 1 per turn, so no CotH abuse. 

Its battle effects draw inspiration FROM the spike brothers, all around. It barrels through, uncaring, to reach the touchdown (can't be destroyed when swinging, negates them on the field), whether by its own hand or another.

Fun to note, this outplays cards like Armades and S39: Utopia the Lightning, as its negation doesn't activate. Meaning its effect cannot be stopped by THEIR continuous effects.

I think I'll leave the rest to you.[/spoiler]

My entry, boy-ohs!

OSbMxVK.png?1

Assault Brigadier

EARTH

Level 10

Machine/Effect

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must first be Special Summoned (from your hand) in face-up Attack Position by having 2 or more Level 7 or higher Machine-Type monsters face-up on your field. If this card attacks; at the end of the Damage Step: Change it to face-up Defense Position, and if you do, you cannot Special Summon for the rest of the turn. If this card destroys an opponent's monster in battle: Increase the ATK of all Machine-Type monsters you control by 800. If this card leaves the field; destroy all monsters you control. You can only control 1 face-up "Assault Brigadier".

ATK/3800 DEF/1650

Took some inspiration from the greats. You know, Rocket Arrow Express uuhhh Machina Force. Good cards. Personally I just really like the concept of a REALLY strong monster that's SHOCKINGLY easy to summon, but then has a down-side to its effect that forces you to use it more creatively. I, personally, had a lot of fun making this card.

[spoiler=Entry]

Edge Imp Reamer

Level 6

Fiend / DARK

For a Fusion Summon, you can substitute this card for any 1 "Edge Imp" monster. Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. If you have 3 “Edge Imp” monsters with different names in your Graveyard: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. You can only use this effect of “Edge Imp Reamer” once per turn. Once per turn, if this card destroys an opponent’s monster by battle: You can banish 1 “Fluffal” monster in your Graveyard and this card you control or in your Gaveyard: Special Summon 1 “Frightfur” monster from your Extra Deck using these cards as Fusion Material Monsters. (This is treated as a Fusion Summon.)

2500 / 1200

A few design notes, especially concerning flavor. Edge Imps are interesting as most of them are cutting tools used to mutilate the Fluffal monsters. Reamer acts as the boss by not cutting the Fluffals, but by doing what a reamer does and drilling holes into the opponent's monsters.

After this, Reamer digs into the Grave and takes an already mutilated Fluffal and bores even more into it, becoming another Frightfur monster. Reasoning for the attack stat is because I imagined Sora playing this card and using it to suicide into Odd Eyes, then taking a discarded toy from his grave and making one of his Frightfurs. Considering the grudge Sora kinda held against Yuya for his loss and thus bad record against him, I could see him trying to find ways to take Odd Eyes out while still giving him a benefit to his Fusion Summoning.

The idea of mid Battle Phase fusion is always a scary one for me when I try to approach it, but I think this works fairly well. It makes it to where Wolf only gets one extra attack at most, Tiger only gets a max of two card pops instead of getting more from it, and Frightfur Bear gets sort of a niche as you can use this to take out something that would normally threaten Bear while still getting using from Fluffal Bear with it's Toy Pot stuff. Sheep is still amazing considering it's, you know, Sheep and probably the general best Frightfur monster.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how this card turned out. Considering I haven't actually made a card in ages, seeing a card for a deck I love turn out nicely is pretty cool.
[/spoiler]

Here be the entry~

xm2LmdH.jpg

[spoiler=Lore]This card cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. This card can only be Special Summoned by sending 3 Tuner monsters you control to the Graveyard. Other Tuner monsters you control are unaffected by your opponent's card effects. If a Tuner monster you control battles a non-Tuner monster and both are still on the field after the Damage Step: you can destroy that non-Tuner monster. If this card would be removed from the field, you can send 1 Tuner monster you control to the Graveyard instead.  [/spoiler]

[spoiler='Big spooky entry']R2TTQfz.jpg

2 Level 5 Zombie-type monsters
You can only control 1 "Dalaketnon". When this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle, banish it face-down. Once per turn, during your Main Phase: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 monster banished face-down by this card's effect; Special Summon that target. When this card leaves the field: Return all monsters that were banished by this card's effect to their owner's Graveyard, and if it was destroyed by an opponent's card (by battle or card effect): Special Summon "Dalaketnon Tokens" (Zombie-type/DARK/Level 2/ATK 1000/DEF 0), up to the number of monsters returned. They cannot be used for a Summon, except for the Summon of a Zombie-type monster.

Taken from a demon in Philippine mythology, which has some similarities to, but otherwise completely different to Vampires (basically being tall and handsome demon humanoids). Hence being a faux-boss beater thing for them. Materials are not too restrictive, but not on an abusable scale either. I restricted it to only one on the field to be a bit more lenient than a hard OPT clause on any effect. 

On the card itself, it isn't entirely battle-oriented, but rewards battles instead. Upon destruction, it returns monsters even if they are still on your side of the field. The way it takes control is pure flavor and concept. It's essentially a slower, non-generic Goyo Guardian, but with a bit more freedom. Last effect rewards you for managing to keep it on the field, and it basically can't summon more Tokens than spaces on your side of the field.

Flavor-wise, I've already noted above why it's only related tangentially to Vampires. The main thing these demons do is taking their victims into their own world (here represented as being banished face-down after being subdued/lost in a battle) and fed black rice so the demon can take control of them. Here represented as Summoning from being banished face-down to your side of the field with the cost of an Xyz Material. Furthermore, the last effect tries to represent the ability of Dalaketnon to make infinite copies of itself.[/spoiler]

Whew…

Entry:

78eIYoU.jpg

[spoiler Card Text]2 Tuners + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
Must be Synchro Summoned, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. When Synchro Summoned, cards and effects cannot be activated. Each monster you control can make an additional attack on a monster your opponent controls during each of your Battle Phases. When a monster you control attacks or is targeted for an attack, until the end of the Damage Step, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects, except those that modify ATK and/or DEF.[/spoiler]

[spoiler Design Notes]It all started with adding an additional attack to a monster. Why not do something never done before, and have an effect that gives every monster an extra attack? Of course, this will have some crazy game-ending opportunities if each monster could attack directly twice in the same Battle Phase, so I've limited the extra attack to only apply to opponent's monsters. This means the extra attacks would become useful only to clear out the opponent's monsters, but if they have a battle-immune wall you get to attack it multiple times and milk it for damage if you have piercing or can put it in Attack Position.

Forcing someone to double-Tune for it, along with its odd level, sends a signal that it's not a card for everybody. If you can make it, go for it. It'll be mostly worth the effort. If you need a beater to push through a field full of monsters, this card's your key to victory. But of course, if you don't end the game there and then, be mindful, as the card stops giving support outside the Battle Phase and everything becomes just as vulnerable to removal as before. It's an "all-in" card, so to speak.

If the opponent wants to turn the tides on it mid-battle, they have to do it the old-fashioned way. Not with silly Dimensional Prisons and Mirror Forces, but by manipulation of brute force.[/spoiler]

EDIT: Pretty much reworked the entire card because I didn't see "boss monster".

Entering myself; entry will be up soon.

Entry:

Junk Vanguard
Level 5, DARK, Warrior
"Junk Synchron" + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
When this card is Synchro Summoned, you can return 1 of your banished Level 2 or lower monsters to the Graveyard to draw 1 card. When this card declares an attack, you can target 1 card your opponent controls: Banish 1 Level 2 or lower monster in your Graveyard, and if you do; Destroy that card. Your opponent cannot activate the effect of the targeted card in response to this effect.
2200/1400

I'm entering if it's ok

[spoiler=Entry]

0j9n8fd.jpg

[/spoiler]

I was thinking of Uni-Zombie... he's sooo searchable and sets up plays sooo well. This is made by a simple uni zombie making itself lv 5 and a lv 4 zombie. This focuses on using Mezuki in grave over and over again for massive zombie swarm. Low atk for a level 9 given it's effect. It's other effect is about control... it has the same outcome as zombie stein (which can stop things like mirror force) while possibly setting up plays... but only once per turn I mind you. This is a true boss monster for zombies... and a nice change from Beelze. While this card is easy to make... it can be hard to keep targets in your deck. This is a pro AND a con. Pot of avarice can help tho...

Overall he is the evolved form of Uni-Zombie... given he ain't no Loral & Hardy hehe

Ultimate Ancient Gear Gadjiltron Dragon
Earth
Machine/Fusion/Effect
"Ancient Gear Gadjiltron Dragon" + 2 "Ancient Gear" monsters
Must first be Fusion Summoned. If this card attacks, your opponent cannot activate any Spell/Trap cards until the end of the damage step. Once per turn, you can tribute any number of "Ancient Gear" monsters to have this card gain these effects.
1+:If this card attacks a Defense position monster, inflict piercing battle damage.
2+:If this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent, inflict 400 damage to your opponent.
3+:If this card destroys an opponents monster by battle, inflict 600 damage to your opponent.

If this card is destroyed, you can Special Summon 1 "Ancient Gear Gadjiltron Dragon" from your graveyard
ATK/ 4400
DEF/ 3000

9iVuuWD.jpg?1

1 EARTH monster + 1 FIRE monster
Your opponent takes no battle damage from battles involving this card. If this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: You can banish this card; Special Summon 2 Level 4 or lower EARTH and/or FIRE monsters from your deck, but banish them during the end of the Battle Phase.

Requesting permission to enter

[spoiler=My Ticket]

1FMOa9O.jpg

[spoiler=Lore]1 Tuner + 2 or more non-Tuner monsters

When a card declares an attack on this card or when this card declares an attack, no cards or card effects can be activated until the end of the Damage Step. Whenever this card destroys a monster by battle, put 1 Battle Fury Counter on this card. All face-up monsters you control gain 200 ATK for each counter on this card. When this card is removed from the field, your opponent takes 400 damage for each counter on this card.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Archived