Pokemon Sun & Moon

Tinkerer

I'm literally trading over Route 1/2 stuff; seriously, you guys can catch them on your own unless you're that lazy for whatever reason. I got the starter over fine, but now for some other stuff.

That, and the GTS filter function is shitty.

====

I'll add your FC after I get through with the transfer stuff. 

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welp, last night while I was going to sleep I was Wonder trading stuff and ended up getting my first shiny. Though to be honest I don't think it's a legit mon.

It's a Aegislash

Shiny

Has Pokerus

Level 100

5 Maxed Ivs with none in speed, Sassy Nature so it's speed is lower

Came with Leftovers

If it is Legit then man that's pretty crazy.

Another Shady pokemon I got was a Master Ball Abra but it seems legit. Just boggles my mind on why someone would waste a master ball on it.

I would see them doing it if it were a SHINY Abra, because Teleport is stupid. For regular Abra, probably got fed up with it fleeing.

Chances are Aegislash was probably hacked; it is possible to have those IVs legitimately (I think), but probability is extremely low.

===

As for Moon stuff, I got half of the 'mons over [least the starter, Eevee and the Mimikyu that were on it]; rest of them either got sniped by some random kids* on GTS or I said "screw it, I can get another one later".

* I'm beginning to sound like Night now by calling S/M players "kids" (though a few of them probably ARE middle-school age or something). Some of them did leave good stuff, so can excuse them for that.

** Can only wonder why people are even looking for stuff on GTS that they can easily find in the early game,

===

On 'Akala Island right now, so that helps. (Let's see how fast I can go through Moon's storyline, now that I have a general idea of what to expect).

Okay, had a bit of a nerveracker last night:

Beat the E4, battled Kukui. Had some crazy luck cause I used my Butterfree on his Decidueye and I had no idea how fast it would be, but I was lucky enough to survive at least 4 Brave Bird attacks. And then I challenged Tapu Koko, used Magnezone's Tri Attack, inflicted Burn and by luck, when it had a sliver of health left and many failed ultra ball attempts, I used a dusk ball and boom, caught.

Anyway, Just got Sun via mail today, but will start playing it tomorrow.  My starter in Sun will be Rowlet. And I shall use Butterfree again, cause it's real useful in these games, not just early game, but gainst Team Skull Grunts that don't have Oh wait, Butterfree can handle Salandit. 

[spoiler My guide to a perfect Butterfree]

1. Catch a Caterpie.

2. Evolve it.

3. Take it with you for every battle. Try it on Hala

4. When you get Psychic, Teach it to Butterfree.

5. Use a Buginium Z when it has Bug Buzz.

6. Make sure it has this moveset:

• Psychic
  • Sleep Powder
  • Bug Buzz
  • Air Slash

Okay, had a bit of a nerveracker last night:

Beat the E4, battled Kukui. Had some crazy luck cause I used my Butterfree on his Decidueye and I had no idea how fast it would be, but I was lucky enough to survive at least 4 Brave Bird attacks. And then I challenged Tapu Koko, used Magnezone's Tri Attack, inflicted Burn and by luck, when it had a sliver of health left and many failed ultra ball attempts, I used a dusk ball and boom, caught.

Anyway, Just got Sun via mail today, but will start playing it tomorrow.  My starter in Sun will be Rowlet. And I shall use Butterfree again, cause it's real useful in these games, not just early game, but gainst Team Skull Grunts that don't have Oh wait, Butterfree can handle Salandit. 

[spoiler My guide to a perfect Butterfree]

1. Catch a Caterpie.

2. Evolve it.

3. Take it with you for every battle. Try it on Hala

4. When you get Psychic, Teach it to Butterfree.

5. Use a Buginium Z when it has Bug Buzz.

6. Make sure it has this moveset:

• Psychic
  • Sleep Powder
  • Bug Buzz
  • Air Slash

Quiver Dance over Air Slash or Psychic imo

I forgot how it gets QD though

Quiver Dance over Air Slash or Psychic imo

I forgot how it gets QD though

Set up moves aren't the best in game imo. If your already going to 2HKO something attacking is just better than setting up. They do have their uses, don't get me wrong, but in general setting up isn't what you want to be doing. That being said Butterfree has a really small move with Energy Ball being the only other good option.

That said, between Air Slash and Psychic Air Slash is much better. The type coverage from Psychic is very small and Flying already covers Fighting and Air Slash gets STAB making it the stronger of the two moves.

Thought I'd share this as I found it amusing.

So I gave up on shinies--hunting, breeding, you name it. That's why I started over my previous file, because I got so obsessed I wasn't progressing. So then I decide to breed an adamant Cubone I got in a Wonder Trade. Wasn't trying to give it egg moves or anything, just liked the nature, and was gonna put the kid on my main team. Of course I forgot to put the Everstone on. And of course, the first Pokemon that hatches is a green Cubone. I bred over eight hundred Mimikyu trying to get a shiny, give up on shinies, and the very first egg that hatches is a shiny. Another example of my insane luck.

Also, discovered how to breed moves on Pokemon with Smeargle, so I now have dozens of modest Alolan Vulpix with Powder Snow, Encore, Moonblast, and Freeze-Dry. Bought Aurora Veil too which I'll be replacing Powder Snow with. Now all I need is to get a power item so I can give it a decent special attack IV (it's in the teens so I'm thinking of breeding my perfect special attack Pikachu with a Vulpix to get the perfect Vulpix).

I know people complain about the GTS but you can get some pretty useful Pokemon from there if you're thorough. Like my Skill Swap Carbink or Freeze-Dry Glalie. Also I beat all three captains on the second island, which is farther than I got before (where I beat none of them on the second island). And with this version of the Exp. Share, it's easier to use more than just six Pokemon as you go through your journey. So I've gotten to see how multiple Pokemon play, such as Toucannon, Alolan Persian, and Lycanroc, none of which will likely be on my final team. Maybe Lycanroc though.

Okay. Trying to breed for a contrary serperior..... Ive got serperior, and the contrary fomantis....

Uhhh pretty sure it doesn't work that way.

From what I recall, only females can pass down hidden abilities (or males if the partner is a Ditto). Basically, if you're trying to get a Pokemon with a hidden ability, its parent of the same species has to have the hidden ability too.

Caught me a 4iv shiny ditto.

For those who hadn't thought of it before now, no a shiny ditto doesn't transform into the shiny version of the pokemon it's facing.

Btw, how long does one need to chain for 5-6ivs? I've got four 4iv dittos, but haven't chained long enough for 5s/6s.

Caught me a 4iv shiny ditto.

For those who hadn't thought of it before now, no a shiny ditto doesn't transform into the shiny version of the pokemon it's facing.

Btw, how long does one need to chain for 5-6ivs? I've got four 4iv dittos, but haven't chained long enough for 5s/6s.

4 is the max for assured Ivs. Getting a 5-6 is pretty much luck of the draw once you reach that point in the chain.

4 is the max for assured Ivs. Getting a 5-6 is pretty much luck of the draw once you reach that point in the chain.

You're guaranteed a minimum of 4 IVs after 30; that's it. You can get 5/6, but only if you're lucky enough on the subsequent chains (anywhere from 30 to 255; after which it'll reset)

EDIT: Ninja'd, but yeah.

====

Ah, ok thanks!

Set up moves aren't the best in game imo. If your already going to 2HKO something attacking is just better than setting up. They do have their uses, don't get me wrong, but in general setting up isn't what you want to be doing. That being said Butterfree has a really small move with Energy Ball being the only other good option.

That said, between Air Slash and Psychic Air Slash is much better. The type coverage from Psychic is very small and Flying already covers Fighting and Air Slash gets STAB making it the stronger of the two moves.

Some set up moves are great in game. Dragon Dance and Quiver Dance being the main ones. Because they boost multiple stats. Some Mons can really benefit from it and honestly 2HKOing isn't going to happen all that often unless you're overleveled. I know my Masquerain did well with QD in ORAS.

Some set up moves are great in game. Dragon Dance and Quiver Dance being the main ones. Because they boost multiple stats. Some Mons can really benefit from it and honestly 2HKOing isn't going to happen all that often unless you're overleveled. I know my Masquerain did well with QD in ORAS.

DD and QD are solid since they are also increasing speed meaning if you're normally slower you'd have gotten hit anyway and the attack buff can take a near OHKO and making it one. The problem with QD is more so that the Pokemon that get is are completely trash.

To be fair, it is one of the strongest multi-buff abilities, and it's for bug-types, who aren't exactly the strongest mons around.

Quiver Dance is one of the best set up moves in the game. The average tier for the Pokemon that have it is NU when looking at Gen 6. The majority are in PU with Volcarona and to a lesser extent Venomoth being what saves it. Even when you factor in Gen 7 the only one that is looking to be above RU is Pheromosa and they don't even use it.

Archived