Pokemon Sun & Moon

Tinkerer

For Garchomp, only good ones are probably Iron Head/Tail and Outrage; everything else is meh. Former if you want to hit Fairies hard [i prefer Iron Head for consistency/flinching] and latter if you want stronger STAB, but caution on using it for obvious reasons [Fairies block it hard, and there are a ton of them now].

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just caught a brave natured xirkitree with it's best stat 250 sp atk. Is this a good thing......?

Probably not. Xurkitree's base stats really focus on Sp ATK, and his speed stat looks at least average. You'd probably want to go for Modest or Timid if you're going in for super competitive, Mild/Rash/Hasty/Naive if you're being casually competive and just don't feel like grinding it out any longer after.

Yeah, Brave doesn't really do much for Xurkitree, considering its Attack is really average and Special Attack is REALLY good (it slightly exceeds that of Kyurem-White if you want a comparison). Modest would be a better idea; mine have this nature because boosted base 173 Sp.Atk is nothing to laugh at.

Not too much would be gained from using a speed boosting nature (at least in terms of advantage). Base 83 isn't too bad, but it's still on the slow end. (I generally consider things from base 70/75 - base 89 to be moderately slow [full-evolved])

----

As for the other UBs after that (which I think is Kartana for you, and then Guzzlord)

• Kartana (you need to go Jolly on this one, no questions; then again, you got 4 chances to get a good one, but try to maximize them. Special Attack is really bad and you can cut it. [seriously, throw Beast Ball and you're good, unless you'd like to go the traditional route of weakening/capturing.])
  • Celesteela (you have a few options here; check Smogon. I'm using the Bamboorocket defensive set; had fun toying with the AI in Battle Tree with it. Think you're replaying Sun, so this won't be in your game.)
  • Guzzlord (really a mixed bag on this one; I have a Brave one because speed stat sucks anyway and suppose it'll give him some added power, but you can go the Special route. Honestly, I don't know what a good spread for him is.)

Yeah, Brave doesn't really do much for Xurkitree, considering its Attack is really average and Special Attack is REALLY good (it slightly exceeds that of Kyurem-White if you want a comparison). Modest would be a better idea; mine have this nature because boosted base 173 Sp.Atk is nothing to laugh at.

Not too much would be gained from using a speed boosting nature (at least in terms of advantage). Base 83 isn't too bad, but it's still on the slow end. (I generally consider things from base 70/75 - base 89 to be moderately slow [full-evolved])

The lower base speeds DO have some use for for +SPE natures. Generally I don't like using them until I'm in the 90 range, but people do use Timid/Jolly on things like Xurkitree.

Yeah, some of the preliminary sets on Xurkitree (from Smogon) do have Timid; least for Tail Glow stuff or something (oh wait, I think Tail Glow's the +3 SpAtk one). Personally, I feel I'd get more out of pushing its already high SpAtk even further than I would with speed; yeah, I'll lose against other Xurkitree and base 80s that do buff their speed, but payoff is that any hits I make will hurt more (provided I know how to deal with checks).

Haven't seen Jolly ones though, and looking over its movepool, not sure why people would want to cut its Special Attack. 

(Granted, I do have a couple Naive/Timid Reshiram from Gen 5, and base 90 speed is average, but it's fast enough for my liking. Probably preference to just speed buff anything that's base 90 and above if it'll do something for them; everything else is usually bulk or something else.)

----

As for the other UBs after that (which I think is Kartana for you, and then Guzzlord)

• Kartana (you need to go Jolly on this one, no questions; then again, you got 4 chances to get a good one, but try to maximize them. Special Attack is really bad and you can cut it. [seriously, throw Beast Ball and you're good, unless you'd like to go the traditional route of weakening/capturing.])
  • Celesteela (you have a few options here; check Smogon. I'm using the Bamboorocket defensive set; had fun toying with the AI in Battle Tree with it. Think you're replaying Sun, so this won't be in your game.)
  • Guzzlord (really a mixed bag on this one; I have a Brave one because speed stat sucks anyway and suppose it'll give him some added power, but you can go the Special route. Honestly, I don't know what a good spread for him is.)
celesteela is in my version so i am glad you listed it.

As I mentioned, you do have a few options for Celesteela that'll work out for you, so pick the one you like from Smogon (bulky defensive set w/Heavy Slam, attack investment, etc). That one, you will have to weaken a bit because catch rate. 

You have 2 chances, so look up ideal natures before you hunt for them. (Synchronize users wouldn't hurt)

It all depends if those natures can let them beat/get into certain speed tiers.

Base 83 is a decent speed tier since it out runs all the base 80s that use +Speed natures.

Yeah, some of the preliminary sets on Xurkitree (from Smogon) do have Timid; least for Tail Glow stuff or something (oh wait, I think Tail Glow's the +3 SpAtk one). Personally, I feel I'd get more out of pushing its already high SpAtk even further than I would with speed; yeah, I'll lose against other Xurkitree and base 80s that do buff their speed, but payoff is that any hits I make will hurt more (provided I know how to deal with checks).

Haven't seen Jolly ones though, and looking over its movepool, not sure why people would want to cut its Special Attack. 

(Granted, I do have a couple Naive/Timid Reshiram from Gen 5, and base 90 speed is average, but it's fast enough for my liking. Probably preference to just speed buff anything that's base 90 and above if it'll do something for them; everything else is usually bulk or something else.)

I get why you'd use +Speed on the Tail Glow set since the difference the extra special attack makes when you get +3 is small. The extra speed on the other hand can make or break you.

I wasn't saying it would use Jolly. Was talking in general about people using +Speed natures on mid speed Pokemon.

Finally found a modest celesteela. This is the best nature according to smogon that best suits my style of battle: all out power.

I honestly don't think that Modest nature would work well for Celesteela to be honest. Celesteela is meant more to be a bulky an annoying wall that can rely on Heavy Slam to deal more damage to the Tapus and can extend its life by Leftovers an Leech Seed. Kartana is more better fit for being an all-out attacker because of its immense Attack Power whereas Xurkitree is an all-out Special Attacker.

I mean, you could try a Modest Celesteela (I don't really have a choice b/c one I got from GTS is Relaxed nature, but that's fine considering it's more of a defensive 'mon), but the defensive ones work better. Mine has no investment in offenses, but it's fun to watch neutral 'mons get beaten up with Heavy Slam and lose half their HP even with that. 

I don't play Showdown so don't quote me on this; there were some sets that did utilize Modest (think 1-2), but either they go for Adamant with Heavy Slam or the defensive ones which I see a lot of (Sassy/Careful).

----

Think he's just using it for in-game purposes, but if he does enter the online competitions, yeah, you'd better off with the support sets. 

So, the next Global Mission has been announced:

From Dec. 27th, 2016 to Jan. 9th, 2017, the goal is to collectively capture OR defeat at least one million Island Scanned Pokemon. The prize for reaching this goal will be 2017 FC to all participants (4034 FC to those who connected their game to their Global Link account), while failure to reach this goal rewards participants with 217 FC (434 FC to Global Link'd games).

... granted, Island Scans can only be done once a day, so it's been calculated that at least 71,000 players worldwide will have to do Island Scan once a day during the next 14 days to reach this goal. Oh, and Island Scan Pokemon WILL NEVER trigger an SOS Battle(s), just so y'all know. The good news is that ANY QR Code can be scanned to build up the Island Scan's charge.

So, the next Global Mission has been announced:

From Dec. 27th, 2016 to Jan. 9th, 2017, the goal is to collectively capture OR defeat at least one million Island Scanned Pokemon. The prize for reaching this goal will be 2017 FC to all participants (4034 FC to those who connected their game to their Global Link account), while failure to reach this goal rewards participants with 217 FC (434 FC to Global Link'd games).

... granted, Island Scans can only be done once a day, so it's been calculated that at least 71,000 players worldwide will have to do Island Scan once a day during the next 14 days to reach this goal. Oh, and Island Scan Pokemon WILL NEVER trigger an SOS Battle(s), just so y'all know. The good news is that ANY QR Code can be scanned to build up the Island Scan's charge.

What was game freak thinking?! The game just came out! ONE MILLION?!?! ........this wont even happen. Just a teaser. Move along now.

Any seggested defense raising natures for guzzlord? I like to even the attacks and defensive stats. I plan for a special attack guzzlord. With high defenses to make up for speed. What nature is seggested?

To be fair, Guzzlord's stats (outside of its massive HP) aren't really impressive to begin with, and certainly having a ton of weaknesses compounded on that doesn't help much. Even if you go for a defense boosting nature, base 53 is only slightly more than Deoxys-Normal, and recall how frail that thing is.

You can try Relaxed/Bold/Sassy if you want to (again, borrowing from Smogon because I don't use Guzzlord, or rather that it's difficult to make it work), but then you'll end up having to invest 128 in both defensive areas; it'll probably buffer some of the damage, but yeah. (According to said article, it will still die from a Moonblast from Tapu Lele even with max investment and a beneficial nature)

To be fair, Guzzlord's stats (outside of its massive HP) aren't really impressive to begin with, and certainly having a ton of weaknesses compounded on that doesn't help much. Even if you go for a defense boosting nature, base 53 is only slightly more than Deoxys-Normal, and recall how frail that thing is.

You can try Relaxed/Bold/Sassy if you want to (again, borrowing from Smogon because I don't use Guzzlord, or rather that it's difficult to make it work), but then you'll end up having to invest 128 in both defensive areas; it'll probably buffer some of the damage, but yeah. (According to said article, it will still die from a Moonblast from Tapu Lele even with max investment and a beneficial nature)

Bold, relaxed, or sassy? Which one raises special defense but lowers attack?

Archived