Pokemon Sun & Moon

Tinkerer

I'm not sure what's really keeping me motivated or sane after trying to hatch a shiny Jolly Beldum in a Beast Ball. 450~ is a normal number right?

Hmm...yeah, on average, that number isn't too terrible...kind of.

Shiny breeding can either go really well (has happened for me) or really badly (has happened to most of us).

Wait a minute...a Beldum in a BEAST BALL?! Who the hell decided to do that?! Doesn't the Beast Ball REDUCE catch rate when used on non-UBs? Meaning, you (or someone) used a counterproductive Ball on the mon with the most obnoxiously bad catch rate?

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm...yeah, on average, that number isn't too terrible...kind of.

Shiny breeding can either go really well (has happened for me) or really badly (has happened to most of us).

Wait a minute...a Beldum in a BEAST BALL?! Who the hell decided to do that?! Doesn't the Beast Ball REDUCE catch rate when used on non-UBs? Meaning, you (or someone) used a counterproductive Ball on the mon with the most obnoxiously bad catch rate?

Yes I said right...Beast Ball Beldum. Some Japanese guy traded me this in WT and I'm using its offspring for Masuda Method, so maybe him or someone else actually caught the original thing in a Beast Ball with all the minimized odds. Hence why trying to get a shiny one is special for me now.

I used all my 15 spare boxes filled to the brim with Beldum, so if anyone wants one with 5 IVs I can hook you up.

Yes I said right...Beast Ball Beldum. Some Japanese guy traded me this in WT and I'm using its offspring for Masuda Method, so maybe him or someone else actually caught the original thing in a Beast Ball with all the minimized odds. Hence why trying to get a shiny one is special for me now.

I used all my 15 spare boxes filled to the brim with Beldum, so if anyone wants one with 5 IVs I can hook you up.

O.o......I want one...............just the idea of having a Metagross in a Beast Ball blows my mind.

A catch rate of 3(.04%) divided by 10(Beast Ball has a 10% catch rate on none Ultra Beasts) is pure madness. Not to mention the annoyance of Beldum only knowing Takedown.

I can offer a bread Beast Ball Vulpix with the following moves on it:

Hypnosis

Freeze-Dry

Moonblast

Encore

I may want one too, considering the Beldum (now a Metagross) I caught on my own a while back [think Dusk/Timer Ball] has relatively bad IVs (and while Hyper Training exists, still a long way from being able to do it). 

Just need to tell self not to go crazy with breeding/catching stuff, because some of those boxes will be needed to store my other 'mons from previous generations.

My collection of Pokémon in Beast Balls include a Gible someon traded me, multiple Dratini with their hidden ability and Aqua Jet, and their evolved form Dragonite.

Would be interested in a Beldum. I have little time this week, nor do I have regitered most of you as friends.  Friend Code should be in my signature.

Something I find a bit odd about the Beast Balls though, is that Wicke made a statement about them not being mass-produced thus very expensive as a result your supply is limited. The nursery however seems to have an endless collection… are they painting regular Pokéballs to look like Beast Balls or something?

I mean, stuff happens sometimes.. If you want an actual explanation, maybe the whole "we don't know where it came from" regarding Pokemon eggs is actually legit, and there's actually something going on that also happens to result in the copying of Pokeballs. Though then that brings up the question of why it doesn't work with Master Balls.

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda interested in one of those Beldums as well.

Since we are talking about Beast Ball breeding, what are some of the best Pokemon to put in them? I love custom Pokeballs for my Pokemon so I'm curious what you all think.

For me, Milotic would be rather interesting to have in a Beast Ball.

Same with Midnight Lycanroc.

Admittedly, I can see the appeal of Beast Balls. They look pretty cool.

Ha, and I did notice the inconsistency of Beast Balls allegedly costing millions to produce, but you able to somehow duplicate them in the Nursery.

Although, I suppose it's possible that the Pokeballs used when you breed a Pokemon is probably more like a shell of the original ball, used only to contain the Pokemon that hatched, and lacks the ability to capture other Pokemon. Maybe these mass-duplicated balls aren't worth anything, because they can't do what Beast Balls are intended to do - capture other Pokemon/Ultra Beasts.

As for why Master Balls don't get duplicated - because every Master Ball is usually said to be a prototype, so maybe whatever process the Daycare is using to create a cheap, aesthetic ball for the new Pokemon simply doesn't work on a Master Ball (I imagine the ball has to be scanned by a machine or something to replicate its design), so they say "screw it" and give you a Pokeball instead.

Alternatively, the balls are just Pokeballs with custom labels, and again, the Master Ball doesn't work.

I still have 27 of them (Beast Ball) last time I checked, but if Looker does give more Beast Balls, then that's cool. (Don't think I'll run out, unless I'm nuts and decide to spam them for everything)

Still need 20 more 'mons to fill up the dex, but outside Goodra and Vanilluxe (I'll get to training the latter shortly), rest are all trade evos (and Lunala/Pheromosa). I know I posted a list two pages back to remind self.

-----

Think I mentioned this in the past, but while I do like Sun/Moon being based on my home state, general pet peeves about gameplay (and likely shared with some of you as well)

• General speed of 'mons this generation (really, did Gamefreak have to make half the Alola 'mons slow as hell [or make them lose speed on evolving]?)
  • Lack of viable areas to train (you have Battle Buffet which is once per day for whatever reason and all of them are level 55, or just repeatedly challenge the E4 at level 63).
    • Yeah, there is Poke Plaza, but costs a lot of FC to do so (and a certain level); Poke Pelago also works, but that method is REALLY slow. Granted, I am using the latter to train stuff I don't have time for (and at least do something while I'm either asleep, at work/doing other stuff)
  • Split EXP formula from Gen 5 (I admit that I didn't really like it too much in Unova either, but at least there were actually strong enough trainers/'mons to fight against CONSISTENTLY (and some Blissey punching). Here, you don't have that.)
  • Certain Mega Stones not available yet (yeah, covered already; hopefully we get a patch for the others because it's not going to make sense if only half are here and the rest aren't.)
  • Removal of Horde battles (I'm getting used to SOS battles, yes, but they are more tedious than I'd like for training purposes. Still need to use it to find perfect IV mons w/out having to wait for Bank.)
  • Nerfed Soul Dew (likely the only one who's upset about this for obvious reasons; Adamant/Lustrous Orbs work fine for Dialga/Palkia because they have high stats to work with. My Eons, while by no means weak, don't have the firepower of box legendaries on their own. I would've been fine with a lessened stat buff [20% isn't as much, but it's enough], but still kept their special stats high enough. I suppose I'd have to wait for Mega Stones)
  • Lucky Egg being given postgame; just why?
  • Probably the Battle Royale/Tree, although I can only speak for the former (basically the hax moments)

#2 and #3 wouldn't be so bad if it was just one or the other (split formula but adequate places to train outside the aforementioned OR standard formula but just requiring that you beat the E4 repeatedly [or limited areas]), but NOT both. Gen 5 had the former instance, hence why I hoped for something like the White Treehollow/Black Tower in Alola. Or really, get opponents that are higher than level 63.

I still have 27 of them (Beast Ball) last time I checked, but if Looker does give more Beast Balls, then that's cool. (Don't think I'll run out, unless I'm nuts and decide to spam them for everything)

Still need 20 more 'mons to fill up the dex, but outside Goodra and Vanilluxe (I'll get to training the latter shortly), rest are all trade evos (and Lunala/Pheromosa). I know I posted a list two pages back to remind self.

-----

Think I mentioned this in the past, but while I do like Sun/Moon being based on my home state, general pet peeves about gameplay (and likely shared with some of you as well)

• General speed of 'mons this generation (really, did Gamefreak have to make half the Alola 'mons slow as hell [or make them lose speed on evolving]?)
  • Lack of viable areas to train (you have Battle Buffet which is once per day for whatever reason and all of them are level 55, or just repeatedly challenge the E4 at level 63).
    • Yeah, there is Poke Plaza, but costs a lot of FC to do so (and a certain level); Poke Pelago also works, but that method is REALLY slow. Granted, I am using the latter to train stuff I don't have time for (and at least do something while I'm either asleep, at work/doing other stuff)
  • Split EXP formula from Gen 5 (I admit that I didn't really like it too much in Unova either, but at least there were actually strong enough trainers/'mons to fight against CONSISTENTLY (and some Blissey punching). Here, you don't have that.)
  • Certain Mega Stones not available yet (yeah, covered already; hopefully we get a patch for the others because it's not going to make sense if only half are here and the rest aren't.)
  • Removal of Horde battles (I'm getting used to SOS battles, yes, but they are more tedious than I'd like for training purposes. Still need to use it to find perfect IV mons w/out having to wait for Bank.)
  • Nerfed Soul Dew (likely the only one who's upset about this for obvious reasons; Adamant/Lustrous Orbs work fine for Dialga/Palkia because they have high stats to work with. My Eons, while by no means weak, don't have the firepower of box legendaries on their own. I would've been fine with a lessened stat buff [20% isn't as much, but it's enough], but still kept their special stats high enough. I suppose I'd have to wait for Mega Stones)
  • Probably the Battle Royale/Tree, although I can only speak for the former (basically the hax moments)

#2 and #3 wouldn't be so bad if it was just one or the other (split formula but adequate places to train outside the aforementioned OR standard formula but just requiring that you beat the E4 repeatedly [or limited areas]), but NOT both. Gen 5 had the former instance, hence why I hoped for something like the White Treehollow/Black Tower in Alola. Or really, get opponents that are higher than level 63.

Yeah Looker will give you 1 Beast Ball if you have none in your inventory. Which can be exploited by having your pokemon hold them. Tedious process but you have an unlimited amount by doing it.

I think slowing down the mons this gen is a good thing. It try to swing the pendulum way from speed being the single most important stat. How it will play out remains to be seen but I think its a good thing.

As for the two EXP things I think they are for the better. Making the lower level Pokemon level faster helps keep team levels balanced and slowing down the leveling of higher level Pokemon helps make the game harder. You are already super over leveled if you use the EXP Share so having something to counter this is good. For this reason not getting the lucky egg till post game works. You simply don't need it. The one thing that sucks is not being able to farm them.

For Gen 5, the split EXP formula exists as well, but generally fine with it because at least there are sufficiently strong trainers that can be battled; that, and more areas to do so. As I mentioned earlier, Alola only has rematching the League, Battle Buffet (you can technically repeat it by leaving, but it's tedious) and Morimoto; none of whom exceed level 65 (which is basically Kukui in Champion battles). 

My main gripe with grinding in the post game is that from Gen V on, there always was some massive Exp opportunity. Gen V had the rustling grass Audinos. X/Y had the Battle Chateau, with the Writs of Challenge to bump Levels up, double as gold grinding, and had several trainers with ONLY Audino.

And ORAS had Secret Bases, where some people went out of their way to have a team of nothing but Level 100 Blissey, and shared the QR codes. And then you invited them to your base so you had 5 trainers in one spot with 3 Level 100 Blissey ready to slaughter for tons of Exp, once a day each.

Plus, Gen VI had the Exp O-Powers, which went REALLY well with the Chateau and Secret Base thing.

By comparison, Gen VII has next to nothing to help you grind up your Pokemon during the post-game. And it's the post-game where this is a problem. During the main game, it's not really an issue.

I knew I had forgotten something in my long gripe list: The abolishment of O-powers.

Mixed feelings for me. The vast majority of the O-Powers, I literally never used and found them useless or impractical.

But...

Hatching Power - you will be missed. Oh, so much. Seriously, this hurts.

Exp Power - Also deeply missed.

Money Power - Not as badly as Exp, but yes.

Bargain Power - Only for buying vitamins...which I'd want to do more now that Horde Training isn't a thing.

HP Power - Ehh...only a little.

PP Power - A bit more missed, mostly just when I was doing something that required a lot of battles in a row, like DexNav chaining, or chain fishing, or Safari hunting. Yes, you didn't have to KO, but it felt a little less tedious to get the Exp and such.

ATK, DEF, SpATK, SpDEF, Speed, Critical, the Repel, the anti-Repel, etc - All useless to me. Completely useless.

Catching Power...ehhh..I never really used it other than on legendaries, and even then, I didn't use it ENOUGH, especially if I was soft-resetting anyway. Felt like an extra, easily forgotten step in an already tedious process.

Let's go through the list of O-Powers:

• Hatching: Miss a bit, but doesn't really take me too long to hatch (well, if you want to count running down Route 5 like mad for 10-12 minutes as such)
  • Experience: Definitely miss, considering this game's lack of good training spots.
  • Bargain: Might've been useful here (if it could work on the clothes in the Hau'oli Shopping Center, then yeah I'd probably want it. But would cut down on the amount of money I have to spend on Poke Balls, Full Restores and stuff)
  • Capture: Miss it a bit, but probably wouldn't make too much of a difference in catching. 
  • Befriending: Might've been helpful, but Friend Balls do it well enough (or Avue is sufficient)

Other stuff is either neutral or I don't even bother with them.

----

But yeah, lack of postgame training areas that are consistently available and yield enough EXP is an issue here. Main game is generally fine. 

Archived