Pokemon Sun & Moon

Tinkerer

For Gen 5, the split EXP formula exists as well, but generally fine with it because at least there are sufficiently strong trainers that can be battled; that, and more areas to do so. As I mentioned earlier, Alola only has rematching the League, Battle Buffet (you can technically repeat it by leaving, but it's tedious) and Morimoto; none of whom exceed level 65 (which is basically Kukui in Champion battles).

Fair enough. I was thinking main game where the changes are good. Though this is then less an issue with the change to the EXP formula and more a lack of good ways to level grind. Or ways to grind for lucky eggs.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, issue is mostly with the lack of suitable areas for doing training and less on the formula itself. 

Main story is fine for training; it's the postgame that's an issue and yeah, lack of ways to get more Lucky Eggs doesn't help, coupled with lack of strong enough opponents or ways to level up quickly w/out resorting to the Plaza or Rare Candy. Would be nice if there were opponents that were level 70 and above (Red technically is this to an extent, but you only fight him once), or as evil mentioned, getting Audino or the Blissey line (the latter technically exists, but only SOS and only once that battle b/c of calling mechanics).

----

Still, I suppose I had enough patience to get Espeon to level 99 (and its sibling Jolteon to level 95) from sheer training alone in the postgame [no Isle Evelup]; even if I had to rematch the E4 several times. (It works and generates sizable money, but generally prefer to fight the E4 with 'mons that are fully evolved/trained and can handle themselves)

It generally depends, but probably a couple weeks or so if you've gotten their affection up for added Exp and have Lucky Egg, plus the Exp group. I think I hatched that Espeon sometime last month, but my DS is off right now. (Normal exp group, and still 99; might've been 100 by now if I had kept the egg on it)

There've been guys who put level 100 stuff on GTS, but likely those are the ones who just spammed the E4 for training off the bat (even the version legendaries), or just use the Plaza.

-----

Admittedly, I kept that postgame Cosmog in Evelup for the bulk of its training (well, what do you expect to do with a 'mon that only learns Splash).

I dunno, but my guys are all currently in the late 80s by level grinding mons outside the Battle Tree. I ground every Alola mon that can't be caught in their evolved state there, including Silvally, and Cosmoem. From low levels they grind up really easily with exp from mons that are close to level 60.

It generally depends, but probably a couple weeks or so if you've gotten their affection up for added Exp and have Lucky Egg, plus the Exp group. I think I hatched that Espeon sometime last month, but my DS is off right now. (Normal exp group, and still 99; might've been 100 by now if I had kept the egg on it)

Yikes, that's a long time grinding. I'd get my Pokemon up to level 66, give them two Rare Dinners and Rare Buffets (I've got two 5 star Rare Kitchens set up so I could do it in 1 day) to get them to 98, then a couple Rare Candies to 100. 800 FC for all the meals is relatively quick to get whenever I needed to get a Pokemon up to 100, it's only about 20-25 Type Matchup Tests.

Though I've only done it a couple times so far.

I do feel it is important to note the only major benefit from getting Pokemon to level 100 is getting to use Hyper training. IMO IV breeding is just easier (especially if you can use a 5 IV Pokemon) so unless you need the 6th IV point once a Pokemon learns it last move via love up you don't really need to keep training. Hell, the Move relearner change even makes that unnecessary since you can now learn a move from anywhere in a Pokemon's level up set, regardless of level.

It may take much less time to actually grind than I mentioned earlier, but at the very least, a couple of days. I probably took 2-3 weeks because I didn't want to repeatedly spam the E4 for training (that, and other commitments). But yeah, it takes a while.

At least my Espeon is level 100 and has his Sp.Atk maximized; Speed is still 30 IVs, but it's good enough for my liking. I'll lose some speed ties if I fight in Tree/stuff, but it's near perfect so meh.

It may take much less time to actually grind than I mentioned earlier, but at the very least, a couple of days. I probably took 2-3 weeks because I didn't want to repeatedly spam the E4 for training (that, and other commitments). But yeah, it takes a while.

At least my Espeon is level 100 and has his Sp.Atk maximized; Speed is still 30 IVs, but it's good enough for my liking. I'll lose some speed ties if I fight in Tree/stuff, but it's near perfect so meh.

Speed is actually the one stat you REALLY need to be perfect, especially on a Pokemon at the 110 speed tier. Lots of really powerful Pokemon are at that base speed and always losing that speed battle vs. losing coin flips will often be the matter of winning or losing.

Well, leveling to 50 is still important. From what I've seen in the Battle Tree, mons below lvl 50 don't get boosted up to lvl 50. I learned this from watching a Battle Tree recording on Youtube that had a level 46 Incineroar fighting.

50 is generally the level you can stop training at. Only reason to go over before was to evolve or for moves, and now the moves thing has been removed. Other nice thing about level 50 is you can use an online stat calculator to make sure your EVs are set up correctly.

Yeah, the speed loss will hurt, but for the most part, Espeon will be kept on the sidelines for in-game purposes [even though I can assume everything in Tree is perfect IV]. If it were a Magic Bounce one, then I'd buff that speed stat; as-is, it's a Synchronize one.

(I could technically buff it now, but I'd rather save it for some of the import stuff which really need those buffs. Rarely, if ever, participate in online competitions [that, and I generally don't use Espeon for those when I do; would get run over really quickly])

Once Bank opens, I can try for perfects with Ditto [or try to SOS for a perfect IV Eevee, then breed it]. Base 110 is a crowded tier; my Eons also sit in there, among other things.

------

Eventually have to do Tree if I want BP to buy stuff I need.

Hey guys. Just a heads up, I'll be going to Cambodia for 2 weeks, so I'll be having no Internet by then (I know, I'll likely not survive). In the meantime, here's a want/have list for trades; let me know if you want or have anything from the list before Monday:

WANT:

-Bold/Impish Growlithe

-Calm/Sassy Oranguru

-Timid Porygon

-Jolly Sandshrew/Togedemaru/A-Meowth

HAVE:

-Jolly Beldum/Rowlet (5IV for all + Beast Ball for Beldum)

-Bold Porygon

-Adamant Cubone

-Brave Stufful

Hey guys. Just a heads up, I'll be going to Cambodia for 2 weeks, so I'll be having no Internet by then (I know, I'll likely not survive). In the meantime, here's a want/have list for trades; let me know if you want or have anything from the list before Monday:
WANT:
-Bold/Impish Growlithe
-Calm/Sassy Oranguru
-Timid Porygon
HAVE:
-Bold Porygon
-Adamant Cubone
-Brave Stufful

I have a Calm Oranguru but it's doesn't have any max IVs.

Only bad part is that you need to have hatched 20 eggs to get him (and yes, go kill Red/Blue in battle), but first part is easy if you breed a lot pre-game. Second just requires level grinding, but yeah it's a lot of help instead of repeatedly clicking A to trigger him (and remember what IVs are good/bad). 

Too bad I can't tell my Elite 4, "hey guys, you need to step up your game." (well, you're technically the reigning Champion, so basically Hala, Olivia, Acerola and Kāhili serve under you).

WANT:
-Bold/Impish Growlithe
-Calm/Sassy Oranguru
-Timid Porygon
HAVE:
-Bold Porygon
-Adamant Cubone
-Brave Stufful

The Beast Ball Beldum seems cool, and I would be interested in trading one. I have a Jolly Alola Meowth with Parting Shot (its IVs are a mess though). Other possibly interesting Pokémon I have to offer include:

• Adamant Dratini in Beast Balls with their Hidden ability (Marvel Scale, Multiscale as Dragonite), Aqua Jet and superior/outstanding potential;
  • Sassy Mareanie in Beast Balls with their Hidden ability (Regenerator), Haze and superior/outstanding potential.

Should someone else be interested in one of them, let me know. I'm not looking for anything particular, though Pokémon exclusive to Sun with their  hidden ability are quite appealing, as are Pokémon in cool Pokéballs.

In other news, this is the last day you can recieve Meloetta in Pokémon X, Y, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire (via internet). Arceus' code will also expire soon ("ARCEUS2016" for Europe, and "ARCEUS20" for North America). 

Well, my Popplio reached level 44, it is now a Primarina. Here's it's moveset:

• Hydro Pump cause strongest Water Attack
  • Sparkling Aria for Primarium Z
  • Moonblast cause strongest Fairy Attack
  • Disarming Voice for Opera theme.

I usually have moves to make up for weakness coverage. Ie, teach Feraligatr Earthquake, but for mons like Primarina, I almost don't want to teach it Ice Beam. Besides, it's part Fairy, so Dragons are null and void.

My Primarina's moveset is this (currently level 88; one I bred from original starter):

• Moonblast (deal with Dragons, Fighting and Dark 'mons with 2x STAB)
  • Psychic (coverage against Poison; yeah, Alolan Muk says "screw you")
  • Sparkling Aria / Hydro Pump (well, I use the former for breaking Protects and stuff for Z-move, or when I don't like Hydro Pump's accuracy; latter for more competitive stuff)
  • Ice Beam (coverage against Flying and Grass types as needed [especially latter]; also stuff like Gliscor gets blasted if not invested.)

Using the standard ability because Liquid Voice doesn't exist in-game and it's not really great like Pixeliate. Hyper Voice would be here ONLY if using HA. (Was also a recommended spread by Smogon, so...)

----

Other than that, slowly getting Solgaleo to level 100 [currently 95, which is nice] and then try to push Lucario and Lycanroc to 100 [level 89/93, respectively], plus aforementioned bred starter. 

Doing some Battle Tree stuff; have had some matches where I one-shot the AI with Arcanine's Flare Blitz (and/or Z-move). Just normal rank for now b/c I've been putting it off until I get properly trained. Come January, I need to figure out which 'mons are moving from XY/ORAS to Sun.

-----

Too bad I can't tell my Elite 4, "hey guys, you need to step up your game." (well, you're technically the reigning Champion, so basically Hala, Olivia, Acerola and Kāhili serve under you).

It'd be really interesting if there was a Pokemon game where the E4 and the challenger/champ would get steadily stronger after every few times you beat them until they actually got to full teams of level 100 Pokemon.

The Beast Ball Beldum seems cool, and I would be interested in trading one. I have a Jolly Alola Meowth with Parting Shot (its IVs are a mess though). Other possibly interesting Pokémon I have to offer include:

• Adamant Dratini in Beast Balls with their Hidden ability (Marvel Scale, Multiscale as Dragonite), Aqua Jet and superior/outstanding potential;
  • Sassy Mareanie in Beast Balls with their Hidden ability (Regenerator), Haze and superior/outstanding potential.
Should someone else be interested in one of them, let me know. I'm not looking for anything particular, though Pokémon exclusive to Sun with their  hidden ability are quite appealing, as are Pokémon in cool Pokéballs.

In other news, this is the last day you can recieve Meloetta in Pokémon X, Y, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire (via internet). Arceus' code will also expire soon ("ARCEUS2016" for Europe, and "ARCEUS20" for North America).

I'm definitely interested in both let me know in a PM when you're available and add my FC.

It'd be really interesting if there was a Pokemon game where the E4 and the challenger/champ would get steadily stronger after every few times you beat them until they actually got to full teams of level 100 Pokemon.

To be honest, I sort of had that idea for a fake region based on this state before Gen 7 came around (well, slightly different): Rematch the league as normal, or a hyper mode where they go all out at level 100 right after. (They would be at a higher initial level though; somewhere in low/mid 70s)

Would be cool if we did get this though; we don't get to fight [full] teams over level 70-80 anyway, and it'd certainly go well with training.

Two pokemon I am having a hard time getting to show up: Vanillite and Gabite. Why is it they never show up during weather conditions when you want them to?

You need to bring your own Hail to Mt. Lanakila; that's what I found out.

As for Gabite, you have a 10% chance of getting them in sand (wait until night time when it's sandstorm). Same with Vanillish but with the hail weather.

To be honest, I sort of had that idea for a fake region based on this state before Gen 7 came around (well, slightly different): Rematch the league as normal, or a hyper mode where they go all out at level 100 right after. (They would be at a higher initial level though; somewhere in low/mid 70s)

Would be cool if we did get this though; we don't get to fight [full] teams over level 70-80 anyway, and it'd certainly go well with training.

You need to bring your own Hail to Mt. Lanakila; that's what I found out.

As for Gabite, you have a 10% chance of getting them in sand (wait until night time when it's sandstorm). Same with Vanillish but with the hail weather.

I already got Gabite, lucked out too. It was a female Gabite. What are good Egg moves?

Also, I tried using Hail at Tapu Village, but your method will work too.

Have to wait for the battery to fully charge.

Archived