Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

Yes, you can use Megalo's effect, and can Tribute the WATER monster as the cost. The effect's resolution will be negated by Fiendish, but you may activate it. The fact Abyssmegalo cannot attack (due to Fiendish) is irrelevant unless you're not allowed to have a Battle Phase.

You cannot activate that effect of Megalo if it cannot attack. It's no different to not being allowed to have a Battle Phase; Megalo can't attack, so it cannot activate its effect to grant it an additional attack.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Lonefire Blossom, Cardcar D, or Merlin is Effect Veilered on their summon, can I still use their effects because tributing them is a cost?

And also, if Lose A Turn is activated and I use Merlin to Special Summon Borz, since Borz is a Normal Monster, it is unaffected by Lose A Turn when it is summoned, right? And if I equip a Noble Arms to Borz, I can use his effect?

You cannot activate that effect of Megalo if it cannot attack. It's no different to not being allowed to have a Battle Phase; Megalo can't attack, so it cannot activate its effect to grant it an additional attack.

Really?

*looks it up* Huh, while not in the wiki, several sites mention this to be the case, so I stand corrected.

If Lonefire Blossom, Cardcar D, or Merlin is Effect Veilered on their summon, can I still use their effects because tributing them is a cost?

And also, if Lose A Turn is activated and I use Merlin to Special Summon Borz, since Borz is a Normal Monster, it is unaffected by Lose A Turn when it is summoned, right? And if I equip a Noble Arms to Borz, I can use his effect?

Yes, but they'll be negated when they resolve.

Borz is still a Special Summoned monster, so its effects will be negated when it is treated as an Effect Monster. It will not be switched to DEF when Summoned, though.

Can you Mind Crush your opponent under Macro/D. Fissure? Relatively simple, I'm probably just blanketing the cost restrictions to the rest of the effect, which I'm not sure if that's correct or not

Yes you may activate mind crush and the discarded card(s) will be banished instead of going to the graveyard. The discard is also not a cost. Even if the discard for mind crush was a cost you would still be able to play it under macro cosmos as you can still discard while macro and fissure are face-up but the discarded card(s) are banished and the destination of the discard does not matter.

If you use Farfa on a monster that was switched via Creature Swap, which side of the field does it return to?

It will return to the player who had permanent control over it. Since Creature Swap's switch is permanent, the banished monster will return to the player that controlled it.

It will return to the player who had permanent control over it. Since Creature Swap's switch is permanent, the banished monster will return to the player that controlled it.

Slight correction. The monster will always return to the side of the field it was banished from. However, if the effect that caused it to change control was temporary (e.g., Enemy Controller, Snatch Steal, etc.), then it will immediately switch back to its original owner.

Slight correction. The monster will always return to the side of the field it was banished from. However, if the effect that caused it to change control was temporary (e.g., Enemy Controller, Snatch Steal, etc.), then it will immediately switch back to its original owner.

Ah yes. Same end result, but a clearer way of explaining it (and very important distinction if a player has a full Field). Thank you.

I can't seem to find the ruling on this under either card, but what happens if I activate Reasoning and Vanity's Emptiness is chained?

(My hunch, as it is on DevPro is "nothing", but some people believe that you still excavate and all cards are sent to the Graveyard).

I can't seem to find the ruling on this under either card, but what happens if I activate Reasoning and Vanity's Emptiness is chained?

(My hunch, as it is on DevPro is "nothing", but some people believe that you still excavate and all cards are sent to the Graveyard).

There's a ruling for Monster Gate that says if Vanity's is chained, you don't excavate cards because you cannot Special Summon. Reasoning should operate the same way: It is not possible to Special Summon when Gate/Reasoning is attempting to resolve, so it will do nothing.

There's a ruling for Monster Gate that says if Vanity's is chained, you don't excavate cards because you cannot Special Summon. Reasoning should operate the same way: It is not possible to Special Summon when Gate/Reasoning is attempting to resolve, so it will do nothing.

Thank you. I have to wonder why it wasn't reproduced under Reasoning's list, but that's wikis for you...

In other news, Pojo remains terrible at the game.

What's the interaction between Qliphort Stealth, Stormforth, Qliphorts that trigger on tribute and Saqlifice? Basically, if you tribute say, a Carrier equipped with an opponent's Saqlifice for Stealth through Stormforth, which effects are legal to activate? I know Stealth is the last chain link when tributed with your things but maybe player priority means neither effect can be activated?

What's the interaction between Qliphort Stealth, Stormforth, Qliphorts that trigger on tribute and Saqlifice? Basically, if you tribute say, a Carrier equipped with an opponent's Saqlifice for Stealth through Stormforth, which effects are legal to activate? I know Stealth is the last chain link when tributed with your things but maybe player priority means neither effect can be activated?

All of these are trigger effects triggered by Stealth's summon. They will follow normal SEGOC rules.

Turn player mandatory

Non turn player mandatory

Turn player optional

Non turn player optional

When you activate Stealth, your opponent doesn't get a chance to respond to it with anything else, so their trigger effects will no longer activate unless you activate something else.

Since they're all optional, you build base by turn player. So let's say you were the turn player. (the one summoning Stealth)

CL1: Stealth Activates.

Since the opponent cannot activate any of their cards in response to stealth, priority passes to you, and you may use any fast effects you have (doing so will give the opponent ability to respond).

Now if you're not the turn player:

CL1: Either Saqlifice or Carrier, as both were triggered at the same time (but not both)

CL2: Stealth

And since Stealth was used, your opponent cannot use the effect of their second card unless you choose to continue on the chain.

I hope this made sense >>

With Effect Veiler's updated wording stating that it follows (until end of turn), if you use Effect Veiler on an opponent's Gravekeeper's Recruiter during Main Phase 1, and it's later sent to the Graveyard, will its effect still activate? I've heard conflicting rumors from people at events around here that it won't, despite the effect activating in the Graveyard, because Veiler's on it for the rest of the turn.  Wasn't sure. 

With Effect Veiler's updated wording stating that it follows (until end of turn), if you use Effect Veiler on an opponent's Gravekeeper's Recruiter during Main Phase 1, and it's later sent to the Graveyard, will its effect still activate? I've heard conflicting rumors from people at events around here that it won't, despite the effect activating in the Graveyard, because Veiler's on it for the rest of the turn.  Wasn't sure. 

Effect Veiler's effect has not changed mechanically. The wording only makes it clear when the lingering effect leaves (since before it just said "until the end phase")

Veiler still cannot negate effects that activate off of the field.

Ask your HJ. It should resolve doing nothing, but some have been stating since the text does not explicily state dependency, you resolve as much as possible.

Only aplicable for the OCG at this time.

"When", in context of actions that have a spell speed, means the very next chain link (it is synonmous with "in response to"). So if Stealth occupies the highest chain link, the opponent may not activate anything at CL4. If, however, you choose to occupy CL4, you opponent may then respond at CL5.

In your scenario, all effects are optional, so the turn player's effect is activated first (CL1 Stealth). Your opponent may not espond, so his trigger effects may not activate. If you then choose to chain a fast effect, you opponent may rtespond with a fast effect of his own, else the chain will resolve.

Now if you're not the turn player:

CL1: Either Saqlifice or Carrier, as both were triggered at the same time (but not both)

CL2: Stealth

And since Stealth was used, your opponent cannot use the effect of their second card unless you choose to continue on the chain.

huh?

"When", in context of actions that have a spell speed, means the very next chain link (it is synonmous with "in response to"). So if Stealth occupies the highest chain link, the opponent may not activate anything at CL4. If, however, you choose to occupy CL4, you opponent may then respond at CL5.

In your scenario, all effects are optional, so the turn player's effect is activated first (CL1 Stealth). Your opponent may not espond, so his trigger effects may not activate. If you then choose to chain a fast effect, you opponent may rtespond with a fast effect of his own, else the chain will resolve.

Yes, similarly to chaining the non-targeted card to Night Beam, I suppose? The main thing I was wondering was when the effects triggered because of the way Stealth builds it chains when using only your cards. Thanks to you and Miror.

when revolving switchyard's first effect to special summon activate, and is chained with mst destroying the field and making it unable to resolve

will the no damage effect still be applied? 

If a Field Spell Card is not face-up on the field, it will resolve without effect, so the effect that prevents damage won't happen either, since that's part of the effect that Special Summons.

I think I know the answer, but I'm not sure. Does Giant Rat activate in the grave? If it is ever able to, wouldn't Abyss Dweller hit it?

Yes, Giant Rat activates in the Graveyard, and Abyss Dweller's effect will prevent it from activating, provided Dweller has activated and resolved its effect before Giant Rat is destroyed by battle. (Dweller can't use its effect during the Damage Step).

Yes, Giant Rat activates in the Graveyard, and Abyss Dweller's effect will prevent it from activating, provided Dweller has activated and resolved its effect before Giant Rat is destroyed by battle. (Dweller can't use its effect during the Damage Step).

That's exactly what I thought. Lol thanks.

Archived