Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

If the activation isn't negated, then the Equip Card or other Continuous Effect stays on the field.  That should not have changed and have not found anything to show that it has.

Jus to make sure, I asked again, and all said the same thing, that it will go to the Graveyard.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jus to make sure, I asked again, and all said the same thing, that it will go to the Graveyard.

That's like saying Royal Decree and Imperial Custom, which would also negate the effects of cards on the field would cause Equips/Cont. Spells/Traps and the like to do the same thing since they would be negating the effect of the card as it is activating, except they never have sent a card to the Graveyard this way.  Targeting has never been an effect of cards; PSCT shows us that.  "Equipping" is also not an effect of the card, but the nature of the card that equips.  Even an Equip Card who's effect is negated, whether it be a Equip Spell or a Trap Card that equips like Kunai With Chain will continue to be equipped to the monster, remaining on the field.  Bujingi Turtle does not negate the activation of a card. I still can't find any example of this happening with any cards in the past, including Arcana Knight Joker which has a similar effect. 

Does no one ask Konami directly anymore?  What has changed so that these things changes became so easily accepted in the TCG without a word from Konami?

I really should just give up before causing another issue here.  The only thing I've seen regarding a core ruling change was that recent "Life Point and Draw based Win Conditions occurring during resolution" thing.  What reason is there to assume that "the card will be sent to the graveyard?" vs what it has normally been?  There is none.  Also, all the while I say these things, no one else here who has been playing the past few years can explain it to me the things that changed in the event that I am wrong.  Its really strange.

Edit:  Well, I sent an email to Konami's US card ruling address so I guess we'll see what they say if I ever get a response from them.

When i targeted Clear Wing Synchro Dragon With castel, it chained Castel, then, i chained it with The Nekroz of Gungnir, but it chained that as well, isn't it supposed to chain once?

Clear Wing Synchro Dragon has two effects that can be activated once per turn which negate an effect.  The second effect "Once per turn, during either player's turn, when a monster effect is activated that targets exactly 1 Level 5 or higher monster on the field (and no other cards): You can negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it." is chained to your Castel.   The first effect "Once per turn, during either player's turn, when another Level 5 or higher monster activates its effect on the field: You can negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it."  is chained to your Nekroz of Gungnir

Do note that Clear Wing Synchro Dragon does not state that it can activate only one of those effects per turn.  Therefore, it can activate both of those effects, once each, per turn.

2- Hunter's wording says you cannot "return" cards to the Deck, and the ruling applies to cards that start in the Extra Deck, such as Synchro, Xyz, and Fusions. Pendulums are not originally in the Extra Deck, but are sent there by game mechanics. They should still go to the Extra Deck when removed from the Field.

I was informed that this is not correct by Skulblaka, as cards are returned to the hand, Deck and Extra Deck, not sent.

Alright, listen up.

Equip cards equipping themselves is not part of their effect. If an effect such as Bujingi Turtle is chained to Snatch Steal, Snatch Steal still equips, but the effect which takes control of the monster is negated. The effect which activates in the SP activates and applies normally. Snatch Steal has a ruling on this.

If you chain "Rare Metalmorph" to an effect like "Snatch Steal" that targets a monster, "Snatch Steal" is equipped but its effect is negated while "Rare Metalmorph" is active. [uDE]

Equip Cards are destroyed by game mechanics when their target becomes incorrect whilst they are equipped. In the event their target becomes incorrect before they are equipped (e.g., you chain BoM to the target monster) the Equip Spell cannot be equipped, and is sent to the Graveyard by game mechanics as it cannot exist on the field.

2- Hunter's wording says you cannot "return" cards to the Deck, and the ruling applies to cards that start in the Extra Deck, such as Synchro, Xyz, and Fusions. Pendulums are not originally in the Extra Deck, but are sent there by game mechanics. They should still go to the Extra Deck when removed from the Field.

Cards are returned to the Deck/Hand/Extra Deck, not sent there. Cards come from those locations. Pendulum Cards cannot be returned to the Extra Deck whilst G.B. Hunter is in play, and are sent to the Graveyard.

Does no one ask Konami directly anymore?

Edit:  Well, I sent an email to Konami's US card ruling address so I guess we'll see what they say if I ever get a response from them.

Unless you are the HJ of a premier event, you have no way of asking Konami questions.

No one cares about answers from that email address. They've been proving themselves unreliable for years. You can very safely ignore them. The only time that email is relevant is when a question becomes more popular than "can number monsters be destroyed by battle against non-number monsters?" AND Konami decides to answer that question on the strategy site.

Equip Cards are destroyed by game mechanics when their target becomes incorrect whilst they are equipped.

In Yugioh, there have been two wordings in regards to this statement and Equip Cards:  "Equip only to a X monster" and "This card can only be equipped to a X Monster".  In the former, changing the X monster to a Y monster after it has successfully been equipped will NOT cause the equipped card to be destroyed or unusable.  In the latter, changing X to Y will cause the card to be destroyed.

In Yugioh, there have been two wordings in regards to this statement and Equip Cards:  "Equip only to a X monster" and "This card can only be equipped to a X Monster".  In the former, changing the X monster to a Y monster after it has successfully been equipped will NOT cause the equipped card to be destroyed or unusable.  In the latter, changing X to Y will cause the card to be destroyed.

There's no functional difference between those two texts. Equip spell cards continuously target after they Equip; the target has to remain valid. In both cases, the Equip Card is destroyed by game mechanics if the target is no longer correct. The difference in wording is just textual evolution. The former is PSCT, the latter is not.

There's no functional difference between those two texts. Equip spell cards continuously target after they Equip; the target has to remain valid. In both cases, the Equip Card is destroyed by game mechanics if the target is no longer correct. The difference in wording is just textual evolution. The former is PSCT, the latter is not.

So you say.  This has not been the case.  If PSCT since lumped them together in the TCG, fine.  Otherwise, these were different in the past.

Alright, listen up.

Equip cards equipping themselves is not part of their effect. If an effect such as Bujingi Turtle is chained to Snatch Steal, Snatch Steal still equips, but the effect which takes control of the monster is negated. The effect which activates in the SP activates and applies normally. Snatch Steal has a ruling on this.

If you chain "Rare Metalmorph" to an effect like "Snatch Steal" that targets a monster, "Snatch Steal" is equipped but its effect is negated while "Rare Metalmorph" is active. [uDE]

Equip Cards are destroyed by game mechanics when their target becomes incorrect whilst they are equipped. In the event their target becomes incorrect before they are equipped (e.g., you chain BoM to the target monster) the Equip Spell cannot be equipped, and is sent to the Graveyard by game mechanics as it cannot exist on the field.

Cards are returned to the Deck/Hand/Extra Deck, not sent there. Cards come from those locations. Pendulum Cards cannot be returned to the Extra Deck whilst G.B. Hunter is in play, and are sent to the Graveyard.

Okay, so I was right about Snatch Steal.

Oh, so Pendulums going to the Extra is considered "returning"? Good to know. I did a quick skim and that seems to be true, so thanks for clearing it up.

I destroy Tyrant Wing, my opponent SSes Protector of the Shrine. Do they get to add a Normal Dragon to their hand?

Your question doesn't make sense. Tyrant Wing is a Trap Card. And if you meant Tyrant Burst Dragon (the Critias fusion using Tyrant Wing), then no, because Tyrant Burst Dragon is a Fusion Monster. And has an effect, so it wouldn't even qualify if Protector said "Non-Effect Monster".

So you say.  This has not been the case.  If PSCT since lumped them together in the TCG, fine.  Otherwise, these were different in the past.

Yes, so I say, so say the text, game mechanics, and the card's own rulings. It has always been like this, no idea where you're getting the idea that it hasn't from. It's a textual update that even predates PSCT.

Fusion Sword Murasame Blade

This card can only be equipped to Warrior-Type monsters. A monster equipped with this card increases its ATK by 800 points. This card cannot be destroyed by effects that destroy Magic Cards. (2003)

Ruling: If the monster this card is equipped to has its Type changed to anything but Warrior-Type, this card is destroyed. [uDE]

Current print (PSCT)

Equip only to a Warrior-Type monster. It gains 800 ATK. While equipped to a monster, this card cannot be destroyed by card effects. (2014)

Lightning Blade

This card can only be equipped to Warrior-Type monsters. Increases the ATK of the equipped monster by 800 points and decreases the ATK of all WATER monsters on the field by 500 points. (2003)

Ruling: If the equipped monster’s Type is changed into something besides Warrior-Type by "DNA Surgery" or "Scroll of Bewitchment" [sic], "Lightning Blade" will be destroyed. [uDE]

Equip only to a Warrior-Type monster. It gains 800 ATK and all WATER monsters lose 500 ATK. (2007)

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Odd-Eyes_Rebellion_Dragon

Can Odd-Eyes rebellion dragon make multiple direct attacks for an OTK if it uses its effect to let it attack 3 times?  I know it says it can on the card, but konami usually nerfs multi-attack effects like this one to only work for attacking monsters so I want to be sure

edit: This is not a complaint about balance, I'm just double checking.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Odd-Eyes_Rebellion_Dragon

Can Odd-Eyes rebellion dragon make multiple direct attacks for an OTK if it uses its effect to let it attack 3 times?  I know it says it can on the card, but konami usually nerfs multi-attack effects like this one to only work for attacking monsters so I want to be sure

edit: This is not a complaint about balance, I'm just double checking.

The card does exactly what it says it does. If it said something else, it would be written something else. You shouldn't assume it says something else unless you have the knowledge require to determine such a thing.

This may be kinda off-topic, but its more of a request for help to write custom effects in a more proper OCG language.

Effects in question:

1. Skip to the same phase the effect is activated, but of the next turn. For instance, activate it in MP1 to skip to the MP1 of your next turn.

Applications of this effect:

- Wear off lingering effects (such as Veiler's) earlier

- Get the card banished by "Gold Sarcophagus" 1 turn earlier.

This is what I got so far:

It is now same Phase this effect was activated of the same player's next turn.

2. Increase the duration of lingering effects. For instance, this would allow the effect of Veiler to last until the end of the next turn.

Again, so far I got this:

effects activated this turn that would last until the end of this turn will last until the end of the next turn instead.

(Yeah, both sound awkward and redundant.)

This card can only be equipped to Warrior-Type monsters. A monster equipped with this card increases its ATK by 800 points. This card cannot be destroyed by effects that destroy Magic Cards. (2003)

This card can only be equipped to Warrior-Type monsters. Increases the ATK of the equipped monster by 800 points and decreases the ATK of all WATER monsters on the field by 500 points. (2003)

Thanks for agreeing with me.  Both of your examples match what I said.

If they eventually lumped them all together into the same text "Equip only to an X monster" as I mentioned then that's what it became.

Thanks for agreeing with me.  Both of your examples match what I said.

If they eventually lumped them all together into the same text "Equip only to an X monster" as I mentioned then that's what it became.

Are you insane? You said:

If you had actually read my post, you would see that you are incorrect. "Equip only to an X monster" is the texts equips have been using for nearly a decade, and they are always destroyed if their target becomes incorrect, even before receiving this update. Please, either find something that supports your statement, or get out of the thread, and stop spreading misinformation and stop wasting my time.

Oh my god, don't start this again.

Apparently, cards were never ruled to stay equipped if they were no longer legal targets. However, PSCT has made the wording consistent now, and it does follow the ruling to self-destruct when the target is no longer valid.

Drop it at that.

If Mermail Abyssmegalo is affected by Fiendish Chain, is Megalo allowed to use its effect to Tribute 1 other WATER monster, or is it not allowed because it's "conditions" to attack twice are not met?

EDIT: Another question, if Grinder Golem is Special Summoned to your side of the field by your opponent, are you allowed to use Bottomless Trap Hole.

If Mermail Abyssmegalo is affected by Fiendish Chain, is Megalo allowed to use its effect to Tribute 1 other WATER monster, or is it not allowed because it's "conditions" to attack twice are not met?

EDIT: Another question, if Grinder Golem is Special Summoned to your side of the field by your opponent, are you allowed to use Bottomless Trap Hole.

Yes, you can use Megalo's effect, and can Tribute the WATER monster as the cost. The effect's resolution will be negated by Fiendish, but you may activate it. The fact Abyssmegalo cannot attack (due to Fiendish) is irrelevant unless you're not allowed to have a Battle Phase.

If your opponent Summoned a Grinder to your Field. you may use Bottomless Trap Hole because it was a Summon performed by your opponent (even though the monster was Summoned to your Field). Same with Lava Golem, etc. But you can't Bottomless your own Grinder that you Summoned to your opponent's Field (again, because you are performing the Summon).

Archived