Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(This card is NOT treated as a Trap Card.)

But.....

They are Trap Cards in the Graveyard. Their effects Special Summon a Trap Card from the Graveyard as a monster (that happens to be not also treated as a Trap Card). But the card being Special Summoned from the Graveyard is a Trap Card.

That they are only treated as monsters while Summoned by their own ways, and not also treated as Trap Cards, is not relevant in this case. Because either way, they are still monsters on the field, regardless of whether they are also treated as Trap Cards.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Trap Cards, can you use Superheavy Samurai Thief's effect to take a Trap Monster Special Summoned by its own effect? Since it's still treated as a Trap Card, it technically occupies a Spell/Trap Zone, but if the card physically is not in that zone, is it still up for grabs?

Even if the Trap Card that is Special Summoned by its own effect is also still treated as a Trap Card (and is taking up a Spell & Trap Zone), you can't choose it with Thief's effect, because as you say, it's not in the Spell & Trap Zone. The Trap Card is not in two places at once, in the physical sense or otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

How is King of the Swamps ruled with fusion monsters that list attributes and types as fusion materials such as El Shaddolls? Is it still able to be substituted or is it more like E-HERO Prisma? Also with King of Swamps, is it able to be sent from the deck as fusion material for Shaddolls Fusion?

You can't use it for that. It's only names, not other stuff like that. That includes Archetype requirements as well.

If I activate El Shaddoll Shekhinaga's effect while I have Shaddoll Falco in my hand, and no other cards, and then chain a set Twin Twisters, discarding Falcon, does Shekhinaga's effect still resolve? Or can I even chain Twin Twisters?

If I activate El Shaddoll Shekhinaga's effect while I have Shaddoll Falco in my hand, and no other cards, and then chain a set Twin Twisters, discarding Falcon, does Shekhinaga's effect still resolve? Or can I even chain Twin Twisters?

You can still activate the card. It will resolve as much as it is able to, as the last part of the effect is not required for the rest to resolve, as it's a "then", meaning that only what's before is required for that part to also resolve.

More info about that here:

https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=4514

I control The Lady in Wight and Wightprincess, and my opponent controls Dimensional Fissure. Can I activate the effect of Wightprincess, since it is unaffected by Spells/Traps and therefore by D-Fissure? Or do standard rulings apply and I'm not able to do so, since she can't be sent to Graveyard?

My first impression is to say no, you cannot activate, and yet in testing on YGOPro I was able to do so, and they went to the Graveyard. I'm guessing it does actually apply.

I control The Lady in Wight and Wightprincess, and my opponent controls Dimensional Fissure. Can I activate the effect of Wightprincess, since it is unaffected by Spells/Traps and therefore by D-Fissure? Or do standard rulings apply and I'm not able to do so, since she can't be sent to Graveyard?

That card doesn't affect the card directly, so that's not how it works. It affects cards sent to the Graveyard, so they will be banished instead.

Sorry should've clarified: Am I able to activate the second effect of Wightprincess under D-Fissure while I control Lady in Wight? Seems like the answer is still no though

Don't apologise. Zaziuma's answer was garbage level vague. "That card interacts with the card... It ... so they will be banished instead.

Dimensional Fissure does not affect monsters. You cannot activate Wightprincess' effect in this scenario.

Is this a bug in YGOPro, or how it should work?

YGOPro does it incorrectly. You shouldn't use YGOPro as a source for rulings.

Can you activate mirror force dragon's effect multiple times in one chain?

You can, as long as the card or effect activated as the highest Chain Link at that point targets Mirror Force Dragon or another monster on its controller's field.

• 2 weeks later...

I control Necrovalley and my opponent summons Trishula. If my opponent banishes Necrovalley, will he be able to banish something from my grave?

If you're talking about the Ice Barrier monster, your opponent can choose to banish up to 1 card each from your hand and field when Trishula's effect resolves. Any cards they choose to banish are chosen at the same time, so they cannot choose a card in your Graveyard while Necrovalley is applying its effects.

If you're talking about the Nekroz monster, your opponent cannot activate its Trigger Effect at all in this case.

If you're talking about the Ice Barrier monster, your opponent can choose to banish up to 1 card each from your hand and field when Trishula's effect resolves.

Any cards they choose to banish are chosen at the same time, so they cannot choose a card in your Graveyard while Necrovalley is applying its effects.

If you're talking about the Nekroz monster, your opponent cannot activate its Trigger Effect at all in this case.

Yes, I am talking about Ice Barrier Synchro Trishula. Though, why can I use synchro Trishula's effect while Necrovalley is active, but not ritual Trishula's?

Yes, I am talking about Ice Barrier Synchro Trishula. Though, why can I use synchro Trishula's effect while Necrovalley is active, but not ritual Trishula's?

Generally speaking, you must be able to resolve all mandatory parts of a given activated card effect in order to attempt its activation.

Synchro Trish's effect has no PSCT conjunctions, so it only has 1 part to resolve. This means you must be able to determine that you can banish at least 1 card with its effect for you to attempt its activation. (Banishing no cards would mean you would do nothing when the effect resolves, and an effect that resolves without effect is not considered a proper resolution for the purposes of activation legality.) As the effect only allows you to banish up to 1 card each from the hand, field, and Graveyard, you must be able to banish from at least 1 of these places to attempt the effect's activation. Even with Necrovalley applying its effects, you can still banish a card from the hand or field, so you can activate Synchro Trish's effect.

Nekroz of Trish's Trigger Effect also has no PSCT conjunctions, but its single part to resolve reads that you must "banish exactly 3 of your opponent's cards." So for you to banish anything at all, you must be able to banish exactly 3 of their cards, not just 1 or 2. If Necrovalley's effects are applying, it can be determined that you cannot banish exactly 3 of your opponent's cards, so you cannot attempt to activate Nekroz of Trish's Trigger Effect as it can be determined that you cannot resolve it properly.

Note that Necrovalley has a preventative effect, which is why it can be determined that neither of the Trishes can banish a card from the Graveyard. In contrast, you can still attempt to activate Nekroz of Trish's Trigger Effect even if all cards your opponent controls is a Battle Fader that was Special Summoned by its own effect. (It will be banished by its own effect instead of Trish's when it leaves the field, but that fact won't prevent you from activating Trish's effect in the first place.)

Can I activate Pot of Duality if my opponent calls the correct number off of Reasoning?

If I activate Kuribandit's effect the same turn I use Card of Demise, do I get to pick the order in which their end phase effects resolve?

No you cannot, the effect had an effect that Special Summons, so an attempt was made to fulfill that requirement.

You choose the order to activate/apply/end effects, so you can pick the order.

No you cannot, the effect had an effect that Special Summons, so an attempt was made to fulfill that requirement.

Even if a card effect includes an effect that Special Summons a monster, you are only considered to attempt a Special Summon if conducting that Special Summon is mandatory when you resolve that effect. Simply having an effect that Special Summons does not tell you whether or not you can activate Pot of Duality in the same turn.

If you activate Odd-Eyes Absolute Dragon's effect in response to your monster's attack, but you choose not to Special Summon an Odd-Eyes monster with that effect, you can still activate Pot of Duality in your Main Phase 2 of the same turn.

(This distinction is important because you can still, say, activate Solemn Warning in response to the activation of any of Absolute Dragon's effects.)

These examples might be easier to understand as first activating Pot of Duality, then determining whether or not you can afterwards activate Absolute Dragon's effect above or Reasoning in the same turn.

Archived