Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

If i control a normal summon D/D monster and I activited dark contract with errors,my opponent chains book of moon on my D/D monster.will the effects of trap cards on the field still be negated?

If you activated Errors's first effect that turn, such as when you activated Errors itself, the Trap Card effects will still be negated in this scenario.

You only need to control a D/D monster when you activate Errors's effect. After it has already been activated, it doesn't matter what happens to the monster. This activation condition is written before the colon (":") in Errors's effect, so it only needs to be true when you attempt to activate that effect.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, if Stardust Sifr has its ATK reduced to 0 by Venom Swamp, how does that work? Does it stay alive on merit of its effect? Does Venom Swamp kill it by some merit of its destructive effect being a Continuous Effect? Does something else happen entirely?

By the wording of Swamp, it only destroys it when it becomes 0, so that would mean that it would only destroy it once, not over and over again. Though I am not super sure about this being true.

So, if Stardust Sifr has its ATK reduced to 0 by Venom Swamp, how does that work? Does it stay alive on merit of its effect? Does Venom Swamp kill it by some merit of its destructive effect being a Continuous Effect? Does something else happen entirely?

Yes, it's destroyed by Swamp's effect. Swamp destroys any monster whose ATK was reduced to 0 by its effect and does so continuously.

Well, it's not equipped anymore when it's destroyed by MST either...

but there is at the very moment of the destruction, still a link between the two cards. Once the equipped monster is flipped face-down, the connection is severed and it is that severing that sends the alligator to the graveyard.

So if I control a Master Peace the True Dracoslaying King that was Tribute Summoned using a Spell card, how does it interact with March of the Monarchs? How about the Continuous effect of Draconic Diagram?

For reference:

For the Tribute Summon (but not Set) of this card, you can also Tribute Continuous Spell/Trap Cards. Unaffected by the effects of cards with the same card type (Monster, Spell, or Trap) as the cards Tributed for its Tribute Summon. Once per turn, during either player's turn, if this card was Tribute Summoned: You can banish 1 Continuous Spell/Trap Card from your Graveyard, then target 1 other card on the field; destroy it.

All "True Draco" and "True King" monsters on the field gain 300 ATK and DEF. The first time each Tribute Summoned "True Draco" or "True King" monster would be destroyed by battle each turn, it is not destroyed. Once per turn: You can destroy 1 other card in your hand or you control, and if you do, add 1 "True Draco" or "True King" card from your Deck to your hand.

Bold is relevant.

Tribute Summoned monsters you control cannot be targeted by, or destroyed by, card effects. You cannot Special Summon monsters from the Extra Deck.

So if I control a Master Peace the True Dracoslaying King that was Tribute Summoned using a Spell card, how does it interact with March of the Monarchs? How about the Continuous effect of Draconic Diagram?

Neither player can target Master Peace with card effects due to March's effect, but because Master Peace is unaffected by March's and Diagram's effects, it can be destroyed by battle and card effects as normal (even the first time it would be destroyed by battle each turn).

Effects like March's that prevent certain cards from being targeted by card effects affect players rather than the cards in question. March is worded in such a way that doesn't seem to reflect this, but card texts are now being written to do so. In particular, see Sky Iris's erratum.

Could Ash stop Kuribandit or other cards that excavate 

It can negate Kuribandit's effect because it includes an effect that adds a card from the Deck to the hand (and one that sends a card from the Deck to the Graveyard). Adding a card excavated from the top of your Deck to your hand is adding a card from your Deck to your hand. It doesn't matter that adding the excavated card to the hand is not guaranteed. If it did matter, it would say "would" rather than "includes an effect that".

To put it relatively bluntly, "excavate X" is basically a new term that means the same as "reveal the top X cards of your deck". Excavate in it of itself doesn't actually move the card anywhere, so you cannot negate an excavate effect with Ash specifically because it is excavating. However, as stated in the case of Kuribandit, if the effect moves those cards in a way that Ash can negate, THEN you can do so. To summarize: "excavate" doesn't actually move cards anywhere; the rest of the effect will tell you what is going to be done to them, so look to that part of the effect to determine whether or not Ash can negate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up taking a closer look at the Tellarknight Xyzs when I noticed this clause on Triverr:

During the turn you Xyz Summon this card, you cannot Special Summon monsters, except "tellarknight" monsters.

Does this mean I cannot Xyz Summon Triverr if I Special Summoned a non-Tellarknigtht monster previously in the turn? Or this restriction only applies once Triverr is Xyz Summoned?

And speaking of Ghost Ash & Beautiful Spring:

Can it negate Shaddoll Fusion since it has the ability to send cards from the Deck to the Graveyard, albeit being optional? If so, can it still negate it even when you cannot apply such effect because the opponent doesn't control any monster Special Summoned from the Extra Deck?

And speaking of Ghost Ash & Beautiful Spring:

Can it negate Shaddoll Fusion since it has the ability to send cards from the Deck to the Graveyard, albeit being optional? If so, can it still negate it even when you cannot apply such effect because the opponent doesn't control any monster Special Summoned from the Extra Deck?

Yes. It can negate Shaddoll Fusion's effect because it includes an effect that sends a card from the Deck to the Graveyard. It doesn't matter that it isn't guaranteed. It doesn't even matter if it can be determined that a card won't be sent from the Deck to the Graveyard. As long as that effect includes an effect that sends a card from the Deck to the Graveyard, Ghost Ash's effect can negate it.

An example that really drives the point home is that Ghost Ash's effect can negate the one of Maxx "C".

Yes. It can negate Shaddoll Fusion's effect because it includes an effect that sends a card from the Deck to the Graveyard. It doesn't matter that it isn't guaranteed. It doesn't even matter if it can be determined that a card won't be sent from the Deck to the Graveyard. As long as that effect includes an effect that sends a card from the Deck to the Graveyard, Ghost Ash's effect can negate it.

An example that really drives the point home is that Ghost Ash's effect can negate the one of Maxx "C".

I see. Thank you for clearing it up. And here I was pondering if Shaddoll Winda could be a good call for the current OCG format. Thankfully, El Shaddoll Fusion is at 3 in OCG, but still, Shaddoll Fusion being stoppable by Ghost Ash will be an inconvenience.

I'm unsure if yugioh has a precedent for the below situation which comes up in one of my recent designs:

If banner of courage is treated as an equip card and equipped to a monster face-up, does its ATK boost effect still apply since its in the S/T zone and not negated? How about if its done with card trader, can you activate the shuffle effect? I'm not sure if this can even come up in the OCG/TCG since how would you equip a continuous spell card to a monster in a way that results in the spell being face-up? If there isn't a situation like this with a ruling, that's a valid answer too.

Edit: YGO pro does let you activate the effects of those cards, but this may be because its something that never actually happens and the computer is trying to make sense of it (similar to trying to do damage calculation outside of the battle phase)

If I controlled a Six Samurai monster that could not be destroyed by card effects for some reason, can I choose to destroy it instead for another Six Samurai monster?

If I can, would neither monster be destroyed?

no, you can't just choose to destroy cards instead of other cards unless you have a specific effect that allows you to do so.

Archived