Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

What would happen with a face-up "extra deck pendulum monster" (such as "Nirvana High Paladin" or "Odd-Eyes Rebellion Dragon") in the extra deck if you try to add it to your hand (eg "Rescue Hamster") or shuffle it into your deck (eg "Odd-Eyes Vortex Dragon")? Would it simply be turned face-down? If that's the case; does this count as it leaving the extra deck and then being put back? 

Pot of Riches was ruled to be unable to be used on Nirvana High Paladin and Odd-Eyes Rebellion Dragon.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you chain retaliating c to future Fusion?

yes you can because Retaliating C is worded similarly to Solemn Warning - a Spell Card that includes an effect that Special Summons a monster(s). Future Fusion does indeed include an effect that Special Summons a monster, so you can chain Retaliating C to it

yes you can because Retaliating C is worded similarly to Solemn Warning - a Spell Card that includes an effect that Special Summons a monster(s). Future Fusion does indeed include an effect that Special Summons a monster, so you can chain Retaliating C to it

It doesn't on activation. That's the problem. Like warning cannot negate infernity barrier 

It doesn't on activation. That's the problem. Like warning cannot negate infernity barrier 

Speedroid's likely talking about the TCG's Future Fusion.

Edit: Stuff that's relevant to the differences between the Future Fusions of the CGs.

You can only Chain Retaliating's Quick Effect to your opponent's Spell Card if that card activated an effect that includes an effect that Special Summons a monster. (A Spell Card includes an effect that Special Summons a monster only if the effect that activates when the card is activated includes an effect that Special Summons a monster.) The TCG's Future Fusion does this; when it's activated, it activates an effect that has you reveal a Fusion Monster, send Fusion Materials, and Special Summon a monster during your second Standby Phase after its activation. The OCG's doesn't; it does nothing when it's activated. Rather, it has two triggered effects that activate during the first and second Standby Phases after its activation. As these are not effects that are activated when the Spell Card is activated, the Spell Card doesn't include an effect that Special Summons a monster.

You can use Solemn Warning to negate the activation of Macro Cosmos even if you aren't activating the effect to Special Summon Helios.

The wording is "a Spell Card that includes an effect that Special Summons a monster", not "a Spell Card that would Special Summon a monster". By my reasoning, you should be able to chain Solemn Warning or Retaliating "C" even to cards like Supervise when it is first equipped. Now I don't know if that's the case, but if it isn't then they sure as hell need to change the wording since Supervise clearly has an effect that Special Summons a monster.

You can use Solemn Warning to negate the activation of Macro Cosmos even if you aren't activating the effect to Special Summon Helios.

When you activate Macro Cosmos, you must activate its effect that could Special Summon Helios. Then when Macro Cosmos resolves, you may choose not to Special Summon Helios.

When you activate a Spell/Trap Card, you activate a Spell/Trap effect. In the case of, say, Normal Spell/Trap Cards, you do the things listed on the card. In the case of, say, Continuous Spell/Trap Cards, you do nothing unless the card says you do something "When this card is activated," you "Activate this card by" doing something, or similar.

The wording is "a Spell Card that includes an effect that Special Summons a monster", not "a Spell Card that would Special Summon a monster". By my reasoning, you should be able to chain Solemn Warning or Retaliating "C" even to cards like Supervise when it is first equipped. Now I don't know if that's the case, but if it isn't then they sure as hell need to change the wording since Supervise clearly has an effect that Special Summons a monster.

The significance in difference between "that includes an effect that Special Summons a monster" and "that would Special Summon a monster" is that the former works even if the Special Summon is isn't certain to happen (such as if it's optional).

Notice how Solemn Warning says "Spell Card, Trap Card, or monster effect". When these cards say "Spell Card", they mean it as opposed to "Spell Card or effect" (like is seen in, say, Hope Harbinger). In other words, "a Spell effect that activates when a Spell Card is activated or a Spell effect is activated" (yes, it's redundant). So while it may indeed be unintuitive, just like how a monster effect is confined to its own text, "Spell/Trap Card" doesn't mean you scout the entire card and all of its effects for text that says "Special Summon"; rather, you look at the effect that activates when it's activated.

Can the new Pendulum Fusion spell be used to Fusion Summon Starve Venom? I don't now if Pendulum monsters retain their attributes in the zones.

I don't think the attributes are the main problem here.

"2 DARK monsters on the field"

Cards in Pendulum Zones are treated as Spell Cards, and most of the Fusion Monsters these days require monsters as materials.

That means you basically can't fuse anything (I think). Unless Pendulum Fusion ruling somehow treats cards in Pendulum Zone as monsters when fusing.

We should wait until the card gets released.

EDIT: Actually I forgot that monsters in S/T as equip cards are still called as monsters, so it's probably the similar case to Pendulum Zones.

Can I Summon a Gemini Monster from the hand and still get the effects of Pacifis, Mythic Radiant City? What about if I Normal Summon it on the field?

I would be believe that to be the case, since it would activate when it's on the field, not while it's still in the process of being Normal Summoned. As for the second question, it becomes an Effect Monster, so it would not longer be eligible for Pacifis' effect.

• 3 weeks later...

I control Maiden with Eyes of Blue and equip it with Wonder Wand.

1) Does my opponent get to activate something in response to Wonder Wand before I can use Maiden's own effect when it's targeted?

2) If they do, and if they activate something, can I still use Maiden's effect, or is the activation timing missed?

I control Maiden with Eyes of Blue and equip it with Wonder Wand.

1) Does my opponent get to activate something in response to Wonder Wand before I can use Maiden's own effect when it's targeted?

2) If they do, and if they activate something, can I still use Maiden's effect, or is the activation timing missed?

Yes. Your opponent has the opportunity to activate a card or effect in response to Wonder Wand's activation before you can Chain your Maiden's Quick Effect to Wonder Wand. Players build the Chain by activating a card or effect, or passing that opportunity to their opponent, and then their opponent doing the same in turn (one of either). If both players pass in a row, they resolve the Chain.

It is only "when" a card or effect is activated that targets Maiden if that card/effect is activated as the most recent Chain Link. So if the fast effect your opponent Chained to Wonder Wand didn't target Maiden, you cannot then Chain Maiden's Quick Effect to that effect.

Yes. Your opponent has the opportunity to activate a card or effect in response to Wonder Wand's activation before you can Chain your Maiden's Quick Effect to Wonder Wand. Players build the Chain by activating a card or effect, or passing that opportunity to their opponent, and then their opponent doing the same in turn. If both players pass in a row, they resolve the Chain.

It is only "when" a card or effect is activated that targets Maiden if that card/effect is activated as the most recent Chain Link. So if the fast effect your opponent Chained to Wonder Wand didn't target Maiden, you cannot then Chain Maiden's Quick Effect to that effect.

That's what I thought. Thanks.

If my Inzektor Dragonfly has Mantis attached and dies in battle, do I get mantis search?

Mantis search? You mean the Special Summon? No, you don't, the ruling page has an entry on this as well:

"If an "Inzektor Dragonfly" equipped with "Inzektor Giga-Mantis" is destroyed in battle by an opponent's monster or by the effect of "Raigeki Break", it is not considered that "Inzektor Giga-Mantis" was equipped to a monster when sent from the field to the Graveyard, so its effect cannot be activated."

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Card_Rulings:Inzektor_Giga-Mantis

Mantis search? You mean the Special Summon? No, you don't, the ruling page has an entry on this as well:

"If an "Inzektor Dragonfly" equipped with "Inzektor Giga-Mantis" is destroyed in battle by an opponent's monster or by the effect of "Raigeki Break", it is not considered that "Inzektor Giga-Mantis" was equipped to a monster when sent from the field to the Graveyard, so its effect cannot be activated."

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Card_Rulings:Inzektor_Giga-Mantis

To further elaborate, basically all you have to do is think about the order of destruction. If Dragonfly gets killed by something, it leaves the field. THEN, as a result of losing its equip target, Mantis self destructs by the rules of the game. At that time, not only is Dragonfly already off the field, and thus not able to activate its search effect, but Giga Mantis was destroyed as a direct result of being equipped to nothing, which means its effect also cannot be activated due to its conditions requiring it to be destroyed whilst equipped to a specific type of target.

To further elaborate, basically all you have to do is think about the order of destruction. If Dragonfly gets killed by something, it leaves the field. THEN, as a result of losing its equip target, Mantis self destructs by the rules of the game. At that time, not only is Dragonfly already off the field, and thus not able to activate its search effect, but Giga Mantis was destroyed as a direct result of being equipped to nothing, which means its effect also cannot be activated due to its conditions requiring it to be destroyed whilst equipped to a specific type of target.

I'm pretty sure it's considered to happen simultaneously, not Dragonfly first.

I'm pretty sure it's considered to happen simultaneously, not Dragonfly first.

It happens simultaneously, but the reasoning behind each action is sequential, or something. Basically Mantis is destroyed as a result of Dragonfly being destroyed, but happens simultaneously regardless. To be honest it doesn't make much sense, so I just think of it as sequential since, as far as I know, doing so doesn't really interfere with any rulings or interactions.

Why can't MST target itself?

Can Twin Twisters target itself?

It can't target itself because Normal Spell/Trap Cards and Quick-Play Spell Cards cannot target themselves when they are activated. (As well as Ritual Spell Cards and Counter Trap Cards technically.) It's just how the game works.

Twin Twisters cannot target itself.

Archived