Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

Thank-you for your reply, it is very clear. I still have a few questions:

1 - I have a level 7 monster on the field and a xyz monster, then I use Galaxy Queen's Light, will the xyz monster's rank change to level 7?

2 - Obelisk is immune to card's effect that targeted, but can I destroy it you think cards that don't specify with the word "target" like Hammer Shot, or banish it using D.D Warrior?

3 - Say my Odd-eye Absolute Dragon attack a monster with the same attack on the opponent field and both get destroyed. Can I use Odd-eye effect to special summon another Odd-eye from the Extra Deck and use that monster to attack again?

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank-you for your reply, it is very clear. I still have a few questions:

1 - I have a level 7 monster on the field and a xyz monster, then I use Galaxy Queen's Light, will the xyz monster's rank change to level 7?

2 - Obelisk is immune to card's effect that targeted, but can I destroy it you think cards that don't specify with the word "target" like Hammer Shot, or banish it using D.D Warrior?

3 - Say my Odd-eye Absolute Dragon attack a monster with the same attack on the opponent field and both get destroyed. Can I use Odd-eye effect to special summon another Odd-eye from the Extra Deck and use that monster to attack again?

1. No. Xyz monsters do not have levels, and are unaffected by any effect that change levels unless previously given a level by an effect.

2. Yes. Targeting immunity only applies to any effect that specifically states a target, so non-targeting effects like your examples will affect it. Note on Hammer Shot: Choosing what is affected by it in the case of a tie is NOT the same as targeting, so targeting immunity does not apply.

3. Yes. Unless an effect states otherwise, any monster you summon in a position in which they can attack that are summoned during your battle phase can attack immediately. This is commonly shown in the age-old strategy of using Creature Swap to give an elemental floater like UFO Turtle to your opponent, and then destroying it by battle to get a free monster that can attack.

Thank-you for your answer, about Link Monster, if there is a link monster card on the opponent's Extra Monster Zone with a Link Arrow pointed to my Monster Zone, can I use it as an advantage to summon monsters from the Extra Deck?

Yes, you may.

Thank-you for your answer, about Link Monster, if there is a link monster card on the opponent's Extra Monster Zone with a Link Arrow pointed to my Monster Zone, can I use it as an advantage to summon monsters from the Extra Deck?

Yes. A little note to keep in mind, you can't Summon to the opponent's field, even if you have some that point to both your field and theirs. Additionally, you can't use Link Monsters in the Extra Monster Zone your opponent owns for Summons either. Just a nugget of information you may find useful.

About that Extra Monster Zone, can I claim it by special summon a monster on the Extra Monster Zone after I destroy the opponent's monster on that same zone?

Well, it's an interesting zone, because when nobody has a monster in it, it isn't owned by them anymore, so if a monster leaves the zone, you can take that zone, though if you have a monster in the other zone, you can't.

About that Extra Monster Zone, can I claim it by special summon a monster on the Extra Monster Zone after I destroy the opponent's monster on that same zone?

The only time your monsters can occupy both extra zones is through Extra Link, which is where link monsters co-link to form a path that points to the other extra zone.

EDIT: If, however, you're talking about a situation in which your opp's monster is the only monster on the Extra Zones, then after you destroy it you can choose from either zone to summon to.

Thank-you, I have a trap called Kickfire, what if my fire monster got destroyed is a pendulum monster so it will be sent to the Extra Deck not the Graveyard, will the Kickfire be able to activate still? Can I use Grand Mole to attack Obilisk and return both monsters to the hand? (very funny if it can do that)

Kickfire's current card text reads: "Once per turn, when a face-up FIRE monster(s) you control is destroyed by a card effect, ..." and mentions nothing about the Graveyard, so it should still activate as long as the Pendulum monster was face-up when it was destroyed.

Neo-Spacian Grand Mole's effect doesn't target as far as I can tell, so Obelisk returns to your hand. Poor Egyptian God, defeated by a humble sci-fi mole thing. No wonder it's limited when Obelisk isn't.

Does Wavering Eyes need to destroy a certain amount of pendulums in order for Ash Blossom to be chainable?

Ash Blossom's effect can be Chained to Wavering Eyes regardless of the number of cards in the Pendulum Zones at that time. The number of cards in the Pendulum Zones can always change before Wavering Eyes resolves. It could destroy 2 or more cards in the Pendulum Zones even though there aren't currently that many in the Pendulum Zones.

Wavering Eyes will always include an effect that adds a card from the Deck to the hand.

(Even if it does destroy 2 or more cards in the Pendulum Zones, it is optional for it to add a Pendulum Monster or another copy of itself from the Deck to the hand. This doesn't change the fact that it includes an effect that adds a card from the Deck to the hand. As long as the potential for it to add from the Deck to the hand is there, it meets Ash Blossom's criteria.)

Does Wavering Eyes need to destroy a certain amount of pendulums in order for Ash Blossom to be chainable?

No it doesnt, Ash negates anything that includes any of the 3 effects it states. That means they just have to be part of the text (of the effect which is activating not the whole card) to be on its aim, regardless if you wil end up doing such thing or not.

I have a few questions:

1 - About Banisher of the Light, if it gets destroyed or be sacrificed as a tribute, will it go to the Graveyard or be banished?

2 - When an opponent's monster attack, can I use Fairy Box and activate its effect before activating Negate Attack after Fairy Box failed?

3 - When the opponent uses Galaxy Cyclone on my Call Of The Haunted trap card, and I activate Call Of The Haunted, will it be destroyed by Galaxy Cyclone after that since it is not a set card anymore?

4 - When I have Harpie Hunting Ground and I flip summon Harpie Lady, will the effect of Harpie Hunting Ground be activated?

Thanks

I have a few questions:

1 - About Banisher of the Light, if it gets destroyed or be sacrificed as a tribute, will it go to the Graveyard or be banished?

2 - When an opponent's monster attack, can I use Fairy Box and activate its effect before activating Negate Attack after Fairy Box failed?

3 - When the opponent uses Galaxy Cyclone on my Call Of The Haunted trap card, and I activate Call Of The Haunted, will it be destroyed by Galaxy Cyclone after that since it is not a set card anymore?

4 - When I have Harpie Hunting Ground and I flip summon Harpie Lady, will the effect of Harpie Hunting Ground be activated?

Thanks

1 - It will be sent to the Graveyard. When a monster leaves the field, it enters a state where it is neither on the field nor where it is intended to go. At this point, Banisher of the Light loses its effect, as it is no longer face-up on the field, and so goes to the Graveyard.

2 - Negate Attack can be activated immediately after Fairy Box, but not vice versa. Both effects should resolve. 

3 - It will still be destroyed, as the condition was only for the activation of Galaxy Cyclone. When it resolves, its target is still there.

4 - Three kinds of basic Summon in Yu-Gi-Oh: Normal Summon, Special Summon, and Flip Summon. If a card says "When a monster is Summoned", all can apply, however unless it specifies Flip Summoning, it won't activate.

I have a few questions:

Thanks

1. It'll be sent to the Graveyard.

2. No. Only 1 Chain of cards and effects can be activated in response to the attack declaration. You don't know whether or not you will call right with Fairy Box until it resolves. After that Chain resolves, it is no longer "When your opponent's monster declares an attack."

3. Yes. Galaxy Cyclone says "destroy it", not "destroy that Set card" or "destroy that target". ("Destroy that target" means that what the effect required to be true about the targeted card still has to be true when it resolves in order for it to destroy the card.)

4. No. A Flip Summon isn't a Normal or Special Summon. Normal, Flip, and Special Summons are all separate types of Summon.

1 - It will be sent to the Graveyard. When a monster leaves the field, it enters a state where it is neither on the field nor where it is intended to go. At this point, Banisher of the Light loses its effect, as it is no longer face-up on the field, and so goes to the Graveyard.

2 - Negate Attack can be activated immediately after Fairy Box, but not vice versa. Both effects should resolve. 

1. This implies that a Banisher of the Light on the field that's Tributed or destroyed isn't sent from the field to the Graveyard, but from some unspecified place.

2. This isn't what the question was asking about.

Thank you for your replies :)

I have a few more questions:

1 - When I play 2 pendulum cards on the pendulum zone and set the pendulum scale, can I then normal summon first and pendulum summon after?

2 - If my opponent activate Fairy Wind right after I set the pendulum scale, can I pendulum summon before the scale gets destroyed?

3 - If the card's effect says "destroy one card on the pendulum zone" and I have a normal trap card on the pendulum zone, will it get destroyed?

Thank you for your replies :)

I have a few more questions:

1 - When I play 2 pendulum cards on the pendulum zone and set the pendulum scale, can I then normal summon first and pendulum summon after?

2 - If my opponent activate Fairy Wind right after I set the pendulum scale, can I pendulum summon before the scale gets destroyed?

3 - If the card's effect says "destroy one card on the pendulum zone" and I have a normal trap card on the pendulum zone, will it get destroyed?

1. Yes. Cards being in your Pendulum Zones has no relation to when you can Normal Summon/Set. There is no such thing as "setting the Pendulum Scale," nor do you have to Pendulum Summon immediately after you place the second card in your Pendulum Zone. Pendulum Summoning is simply an action that you can conduct at any time during your Main Phase while nothing else is going on.

2. No. You can only Pendulum Summon during your Main Phase while the game state is open (meaning, while nothing else is going on). Therefore, you can't Pendulum Summon in response to other actions or events.

3. No. The Trap Card is not in the Pendulum Zone in your scenario. The leftmost and rightmost Spell & Trap Zones are only Pendulum Zones while a Pendulum Monster that was placed in those zones as a card in the Pendulum Zone is occupying them. Note that a Pendulum Zone is always also still a Spell & Trap Zone, however.

From the wikia page I found this:

"Player A activates "Offerings to the Doomed" and targets "Dark Magician". Player B chains "Book of Moon", targeting the same "Dark Magician". "Book of Moon" resolves first, and changes "Dark Magician" to face-down Defense Position. Then, when "Offerings to the Doomed" resolves, "Dark Magician" is not destroyed - "Offerings to the Doomed" can only target face-up monsters, and "Dark Magician" is face-down, so "Offerings to the Doomed" resolves without effect. You do not get to select a new monster to destroy"

Then I wonder why Call Of The Haunted (activated after being targeted by Galaxy Cyclone) would still be destroyed after Galaxy Cyclone is activated in a chain link, as Galaxy Cyclone is link 1 and Call of the Haunted is link 2. Note that this is first effect of Galaxy Cyclone, not the second effect which can only be activated from the Graveyard.

From the wikia page I found this:

"Player A activates "Offerings to the Doomed" and targets "Dark Magician". Player B chains "Book of Moon", targeting the same "Dark Magician". "Book of Moon" resolves first, and changes "Dark Magician" to face-down Defense Position. Then, when "Offerings to the Doomed" resolves, "Dark Magician" is not destroyed - "Offerings to the Doomed" can only target face-up monsters, and "Dark Magician" is face-down, so "Offerings to the Doomed" resolves without effect. You do not get to select a new monster to destroy"

Then I wonder why Call Of The Haunted (activated after being targeted by Galaxy Cyclone) would still be destroyed after Galaxy Cyclone is activated in a chain link, as Galaxy Cyclone is link 1 and Call of the Haunted is link 2. Note that this is first effect of Galaxy Cyclone, not the second effect which can only be activated from the Graveyard.

Offerings to the Doomed says "destroy that target", not "destroy it".

Refer to my earlier post in which I explained this in greater detail.

Archived