Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

Thank-you :).

About Harpie Chaneller, when there is no other cards on the field and its effect let me summon another Harpie monster on the field. Can my opponent then use Bad Aim to destroy that or the monster I just summoned?

Your opponent cannot activate bad aim in that situation, once you activate channler and discard for cost your opponent has its response window  and by that time there is still nothing else on the field (so no valid targets for the trap). Once your monster is summoned the trap cannot be activated anymore (unless of course you activate something else afterwards). Furthermore if you control nothing but your opponent does, he will be forced to pop on their cards

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If my opponent had a dinosaur out and I had Rivalry of Warlords up, can they activate a True King summon effect by popping the dinosaur?

No.

(i.e. is the True King summon effect inherent)

Drop that notion entirely. You're confusing yourself.

A True King monster's Ignition Effect is an activated effect that goes on the Chain before resolving. When it resolves, several actions are performed, including the Special Summon of the True King monster from the hand. However, in your scenario, Summons of a non-Dinosaur-Type cannot be conducted because of Rivalry's effect, so the effect cannot be activated at all.

There is no such thing as an "inherent effect". Some people use the term "inherent Summon" to refer to a vague/inconclusive concept regarding Summons that don't occur during a resolving Chain, but you've probably taken it one step further and applied to another term randomly. (Which is why "inherent" is a completely unhelpful term that you should ignore. It'll only serve to confuse in the long run as it probably has done here.)

I probably should have clarified a few things since I probably use terms a bit differently than most (and thus asking if the Summon was inherent was actually me asking something legitimate, though completely different to what most might mean).

In asking that last question, I was asking if its Summon (not its effect, but the Summon itself) can be Solemn Strike'd (as my "definition" of the term inherent is basically "any summon that Strike hits" vs others who may have a different definition that, because of how their definition works, Strike hits it).

All that said, I know that Rivalry blocks anything of a different type that Strike can hit, so I was trying to use shorthand.

...probably shoulda just left it at the first question since that was more important anyway tbh :I

I probably should have clarified a few things since I probably use terms a bit differently than most (and thus asking if the Summon was inherent was actually me asking something legitimate, though completely different to what most might mean).

In asking that last question, I was asking if its Summon (not its effect, but the Summon itself) can be Solemn Strike'd (as my "definition" of the term inherent is basically "any summon that Strike hits" vs others who may have a different definition that, because of how their definition works, Strike hits it).

All that said, I know that Rivalry blocks anything of a different type that Strike can hit, so I was trying to use shorthand.

...probably shoulda just left it at the first question since that was more important anyway tbh :I

There is no such thing as an "inherent Summon" either, although this time I can fathom what you could mean by it.

Strike negates Special Summons, and any kind of Special Summon regardless of how it's conducted is still a Special Summon, so they all fall under what Strike refers to as a Special Summon. It's just that some Special Summons can only feasibly be conducted at a time when Strike can't be activated.

Ritual and Fusion Summons, and Special Summons during the resolution of something like Monster Reborn, Call of the Haunted or a True King monster's Ignition Effect, etc. always occur while a Chain is resolving, because they are simply an action that an activated effect instructs you to perform when it resolves. Cards and effects cannot be activated while a Chain is resolving, so just as you can't activate Forbidden Lance while Fissure is already resolving, you can't activate Strike while a True King monster's Ignition Effect is already resolving.

Synchro, Xyz, Pendulum and Link Summons, and the Special Summon of something like Cyber Dragon or BLS - Envoy of the Beginning, etc. are usually conducted while no Chain is resolving, so "when a monster would be Special Summoned" those ways, no game rule is preventing Strike from being activated, so it can be activated.

The thing to take away is that there is nothing inherently different about a Ritual or Fusion Summon and a Synchro, Xyz, Pendulum or Link Summon. They are both just Special Summons, a game action that you can perform, and whether or not they can be negated by Strike depends not on what kind of Special Summon it is, but whether any game rules are preventing cards or effects like Strike from being activated.

This means that Rivalry prevents your opponent from performing the action of Special Summoning a non-Dinosaur-Type in your scenario, regardless of whether or not it feasibly occurs while a Chain is resolving. Special Summoning is just Special Summoning. Naturally, this means that you can't perform Synchro, Xyz, Pendulum or Link Summons of non-Dinosaur-Type monsters and that you can't Special Summon Cyber Dragon or BLS - Envoy of the Beginning because the action is being prevented. But it also means that you can't activate an effect like a True King monster's Ignition Effect since you are required to Special Summon a non-Dinosaur-Type monster with it.

When Galaxy Dragon is attacking Odd-eye Absolute Dragon, Odd-eye's effect can negate the battle, but Galaxy Dragon's effect can negate effect from the monster it is attacking, so how will this turn out?

Thank-you

Pretty sure Galaxy Dragon's effect is inherent, meaning as soon as you declare an attack, its effects are applied, Odd-Eyes' effect will be negated if the player chooses to activate it.

When Galaxy Dragon is attacking Odd-eye Absolute Dragon, Odd-eye's effect can negate the battle, but Galaxy Dragon's effect can negate effect from the monster it is attacking, so how will this turn out?

Thank-you

Galaxy Dragon's effect doesn't activate and is simply applied when it declares the attack on Absolute Dragon, before Absolute Dragon can activate its effect in response to the attack. Absolute Dragon can still activate its effect in response to the attack being declared, but it'll be negated. (As Dova said.)

Pretty sure Galaxy Dragon's effect is inherent, meaning as soon as you declare an attack, its effects are applied, Odd-Eyes' effect will be negated if the player chooses to activate it.

It's a Continuous Effect.

Thanks for your replies, but I'm still not sure, because Odd-eye Absolute Dragon effect can be activated when the monster declares the attack whether Galaxy Dragon's effect can be activated in the damage step. So isn't the Odd-eye Absolute Dragon effect can be activated to negate the attack before the damage step so Galaxy Dragon effect can not be activated? 

Thanks for your replies, but I'm still not sure, because Odd-eye Absolute Dragon effect can be activated when the monster declares the attack whether Galaxy Dragon's effect can be activated in the damage step. So isn't the Odd-eye Absolute Dragon effect can be activated to negate the attack before the damage step so Galaxy Dragon effect can not be activated? 

Galaxy Dragon's effect doesn't activate, it's a Continuous Effect, meaning it does not use the Chain, its effect is applied from the moment an attack is declared, before other effects can activate. Absolute Dragon cannot activate its effect under this situation.

Thanks, I have a few more questions:

1 - When a card had an effect to be banished when leave the field, will it be banished if it was used as xyz material?

2 - When Sasuke Samurai #4 attack and call the coin correctly, can it attack again after that?

3 - When a monster controls return to the original owner and there is no space on the monster zone, how will it turn out?

4 - Can I activate Hand Destruction when my opponent has less than 2 cards?

1 - When a card had an effect to be banished when leave the field, will it be banished if it was used as xyz material?

2 - When Sasuke Samurai #4 attack and call the coin correctly, can it attack again after that?

3 - When a monster controls return to the original owner and there is no space on the monster zone, how will it turn out?

1. No
  2. No
  3. The monster is sent to the GY
  4. No

Galaxy Dragon's effect doesn't activate, it's a Continuous Effect, meaning it does not use the Chain, its effect is applied from the moment an attack is declared, before other effects can activate. Absolute Dragon cannot activate its effect under this situation.

Absolute Dragon can activate its effect in that scenario, but the effect is negated.

(Galaxy Dragon's effect is applied before Absolute Dragon's effect can be activated, but it shouldn't be said that Absolute Dragon's effect can't be activated under this situation as it can easily mislead.)

1. A card on the field used as Xyz Material is not considered to leave the field.

2. Replays occur only in the Battle Step. "Before damage calculation" occurs during the Damage Step, which occurs after the Battle Step. Read more about replays in the rulebook (page 39).

3. The monster is destroyed.

Would Zany Zebra's effect work on field Spell Zone or Extra Monster Zone?

See its latest official text on the card database: https://www.db.yugioh-card.com/yugiohdb/card_search.action?ope=2&cid=12150&request_locale=en.

The Field Spell Zone is not a Spell/Trap Zone, so no on the first account. As for the second, I'm assuming all pre-MR4 references to Monster Zone now mean Main Monster Zone, so I'd say no as well.

"Monster Zone" alone simply means Monster Zone.

Dova means that most of them got errata'd

You're simply giving Dova the benefit of the doubt whereas I didn't wish to take the chance, with good reason not to.

There is an assumption going around that all instances of "Monster Zone" printed before Main Monster Zones were introduced now mean Main Monster Zone and that only new cards can refer to the Extra Monster Zones. This is a (common?) misconception.

There is no reason to presume "I'm assuming all pre-MR4 references to Monster Zone now mean Main Monster Zone" (all, not most) couldn't have been written under that exact assumption I've seen numerous others take on.

I gave the actual reason why Zany Zebra works the way it does in the same post should Dova's understanding of the game contrary to his post align with it.

I have a few questions:

1 - If I use Painful Decision and discard Harpie Lady, can I draw Harpie Lady 1 out of deck?

2 - When I use Brain Control on Time Breaker Magician then use it to banish itself and a monster from the opponent's field. It then return on my field at the next standby phase, will the control of Time Breaker Magician return to the opponent after that?

3 - When a monster with the effect that can be normal summon without tribute, can I normal set or normal summon it in defend as well?

I have a few questions:

1 - If I use Painful Decision and discard Harpie Lady, can I draw Harpie Lady 1 out of deck?

2 - When I use Brain Control on Time Breaker Magician then use it to banish itself and a monster from the opponent's field. It then return on my field at the next standby phase, will the control of Time Breaker Magician return to the opponent after that?

3 - When a monster with the effect that can be normal summon without tribute, can I normal set or normal summon it in defend as well?

1 - Yes, but remember that you can only have at most 3 of any combination of Harpie Lady and Harpie Lady 1 through 3 in your Deck.

2 - Not sure about this, so may need correction, but I believe that since Timebreaker Magician is banished with your opponent's banished cards, and doesn't specify which side of the field it returns to, both monsters will return to your opponent's side of the field.

3 - See Beast King Barbaros. Unless a card says you can Normal Summon/Set it without Tributing, you cannot Set it without Tributing. One cannot Normal Summon a monster in face-up Defense Position ever, unless a card effect specifically states so.

Just some rulings regarding control:

1 - Can I take control of a Link Monster Summoned from the ED if I control no Linked Zones/EMZ?

2 - If I activate an effect to take control of a Link monster Summoned from the ED, then my opponent activates an effect that causes me to have no Linked Zone/EMZ accessible, how does the effect resolve?
3 - If I used Brain Control on my opponent's Link monster, then Extra Link them (i.e. they have Linked Zone/EMZ), does control of the monster return to an non-Linked zone, or go to the GY?

4 - Just for confirmation: If I give control of a monster I currently control to my opponent, do I choose the zone it moves to (where possible)?

Just some rulings regarding control:

1 - Can I take control of a Link Monster Summoned from the ED if I control no Linked Zones/EMZ?

2 - If I activate an effect to take control of a Link monster Summoned from the ED, then my opponent activates an effect that causes me to have no Linked Zone/EMZ accessible, how does the effect resolve?

3 - If I used Brain Control on my opponent's Link monster, then Extra Link them (i.e. they have Linked Zone/EMZ), does control of the monster return to an non-Linked zone, or go to the GY?

4 - Just for confirmation: If I give control of a monster I currently control to my opponent, do I choose the zone it moves to (where possible)?

1. if a link monster switches control it goes into mmz, so yes. monster only ever goes into emz from extra deck. otherwise, mmz

2. you mean mmz. it tries to switch control but has no zone to go to, so it's destroyed

3. see above

4. the player that takes control of the monster chooses which of their mmzs to place it in

2. you mean mmz. it tries to switch control but has no zone to go to, so it's destroyed

Actually Dova meant EMZ/Linked MMZ. As you can tell from Q1, Dova doesn't realise that if a monster switches control it always goes to the MMZ.

Also Dova, about Q3, Brain Control can't target Link Monsters because it received an errata that restricts it to only targeting monsters that can be Normal Summoned/Set. It doesn't have to be a monster that was Normal Summoned/Set, just one that could be, but Link Monsters can't be Normal Summoned/Set.

Speaking of which, can Brain Control target, for example, Paleozoic Marrella (while it's treated as a monster by its own effect)? How about Shapesister while treated as a monster?

Actually Dova meant EMZ/Linked MMZ. As you can tell from Q1, Dova doesn't realise that if a monster switches control it always goes to the MMZ.

Yes. I had already clarified that a monster that switches control is always placed in a Main Monster Zone in my response to Dova's first question, and I simply reaffirmed that fact in my response to his second question so as to not respond to his question with the flawed premise, but to the question where he now says "Main Monster Zone" thanks to my correction.

That is, I said what I did because I knew I had already corrected him beforehand and didn't need to go through that explanation again. Therefore, simply "You mean Main Monster Zone" sufficed as that's what makes the spirit of his second question answerable.

I was pressed for time (perhaps quite evidently), and I obviously didn't mean to literally say that Dova either should have known better or that he made a mistake while writing his second question...

I'm disappointed that I had to explain this in all honesty.

Speaking of which, can Brain Control target, for example, Paleozoic Marrella (while it's treated as a monster by its own effect)? How about Shapesister while treated as a monster?

No for either of them.

Archived