Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

Thanks for your reply, 2 more questions:

1 - When a card face "choose the attack target" for an opponent monster's attack, can I choose another opponent monster for an attack target?
2 - When Ultimate Ancient Gear Golem is destroyed, can it special summon another Ultimate Ancient Gear Golem from the graveyard?

1. I'm not sure what you're trying to ask. Refer to specific cards and their names.

2. No. Ultimate Ancient Gear Golem has "Ancient Gear Golem" in its name, but it isn't "Ancient Gear Golem".

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Treat a Field Spell as any face-up Continuous Spell. Effects such as "All FIRE monsters gain 300 ATK and DEF" would apply to both players, as it doesn't specify which monsters of which players are affected by this effect. Similarly, on Mound of the Bound of the Bound Creator, where "Level 10 or higher monsters on the field cannot be targeted or destroyed by cards or effects", this effect would apply to ALL Level 10 monsters on the field. However, any reference to "you" or something similar in the card text indicates an effect that only the controlling player can activate, use, or have applied to them.

While on the topic of Vampires, does Crimson Knight Vampire Bram's and Shadow Vampire's attack-restricting effects "cancel" each other?

Say, I summon Vamp Duke with shadow, then xyz for bram and nab something from my opp. Would the monster I grabbed from my opp be able to attack?

Aez, in that case the monster you Special Summoned from your opponent's GY with Bram's effect can't attack since Shadow Vampire's effect is still applying to prevent your monsters other than that Vampire Duke from attacking. Having two similar restrictions on what you can attack with (1 from Bram and 1 from Shadow) applying to different monsters only means that none of your monsters can attack. A simple way to remember this is that Bram and Shadow's attack restriction clauses are effects that prevent monsters from attacking.

...that is unless the monster you summoned from your opponent's GY was the legendary Paleozoic Anomalocaris, or another monster that is unaffected by monster effects, since it is unaffected by the effect that stops it from attacking.

When a monster got destroyed or returned to the hand during Battle Phase, after it attacked. Then the same monster got re-summoned on the field by a card's effect during the same Battle Phase. Can it attack again?

Yes; if a card leaves the field and re-enters the field the same turn, any limitations it had before are reset, so that includes the amount of times it can attack and utilize it's effects.

Questions about hypothetical effects, mainly for card-making purposes:

1. I have a Continuous or Field Spell with an OPT effect. If I use en affect that makes it to be also treated as a Trap Card or Quick-Play Spell, can it then use that OPT effect as a Spell Speed 2 effect, or is it not that simple? If the latter, what are the options to indeed turn that effect into a Spell Speed 2?

2. Let's say I want to make an effect that lets you activate a Equip Spell from the GY, Deck, etc. But, I want it to be compatible with "Equip Reborns" and, as you know, these first target a monster, Summon it and then are equipped to it. So, AFAIK if I were to make a mere "activate 1 Equip Spell from GY" effect, then it wouldn't exactly work with these cards because then it would need to start a chain but, putting it simply, you cannot start a chain in the middle of an ongoing chain. How can I make the effect work, then? I'm thinking of "when the chain this effect was activated resolves you can; activate 1 Equip Spell from your GY". Would that do the trick? Another alternative I can think of is taking some tips from Diamond Dude and make the Equip activate at a different time.

Questions about hypothetical effects, mainly for card-making purposes:

1. I have a Continuous or Field Spell with an OPT effect. If I use en affect that makes it to be also treated as a Trap Card or Quick-Play Spell, can it then use that OPT effect as a Spell Speed 2 effect, or is it not that simple? If the latter, what are the options to indeed turn that effect into a Spell Speed 2?

2. Let's say I want to make an effect that lets you activate a Equip Spell from the GY, Deck, etc. But, I want it to be compatible with "Equip Reborns" and, as you know, these first target a monster, Summon it and then are equipped to it. So, AFAIK if I were to make a mere "activate 1 Equip Spell from GY" effect, then it wouldn't exactly work with these cards because then it would need to start a chain but, putting it simply, you cannot start a chain in the middle of an ongoing chain. How can I make the effect work, then? I'm thinking of "when the chain this effect was activated resolves you can; activate 1 Equip Spell from your GY". Would that do the trick? Another alternative I can think of is taking some tips from Diamond Dude and make the Equip activate at a different time.

1. first, quick-play spells don't have fast effects except when they're activated. you likely want it to be treated as a continuous trap card. in which case, answer unknown. for cards that are both monsters and a trap card, their effects are either a monster effect or a trap effect. never both. if you wanted the effect to become ss2 trap effect, i'd suggest you explicitly state so on the effect. like "this becomes also a trap effect you can activate during either player's turn, if this card is a trap"

2. well there is no Prexedent for activation equip spell cards with effects. however judging from how it works with field spells i do think indeed it would simply be unchoosable for such an effect. you might want to take a look at Bait Doll, which can allow cards to activate and target and such during a resolving chain link. so just follow that

going for the "activate at later time" solution defeats the purpose of the effect imo since at that point why not just add it to your hand (not saying they are identical or even similar in functionally but why go for such a weird effect krt that point; brings not much new to the table in exchange for its playing and rules complexity). and diamond dude effect in particular wouldn't work since there is no associated card to equip, just an effect

1. first, quick-play spells don't have fast effects except when they're activated. you likely want it to be treated as a continuous trap card. in which case, answer unknown. for cards that are both monsters and a trap card, their effects are either a monster effect or a trap effect. never both. if you wanted the effect to become ss2 trap effect, i'd suggest you explicitly state so on the effect. like "this becomes also a trap effect you can activate during either player's turn, if this card is a trap"

2. well there is no Prexedent for activation equip spell cards with effects. however judging from how it works with field spells i do think indeed it would simply be unchoosable for such an effect. you might want to take a look at Bait Doll, which can allow cards to activate and target and such during a resolving chain link. so just follow that

going for the "activate at later time" solution defeats the purpose of the effect imo since at that point why not just add it to your hand (not saying they are identical or even similar in functionally but why go for such a weird effect krt that point; brings not much new to the table in exchange for its playing and rules complexity). and diamond dude effect in particular wouldn't work since there is no associated card to equip, just an effect

With "a later time" I mainly meant like, the next Phase or something, not necessarily the next turn. But I will take a look at Bait Doll.

Thanks for your reply.

Archived