Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

If Zombie World was initially face-up, the monster will be Wyrm. If you Summoned with Oasis, then used Zombie World, your monster will be a Zombie.

Magician's Left Hand only negates Trap Cards and their effects; it cannot negate the effect of Decode Talker.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So recently I had a bit of a weird play with a friend. We were using traditional format decks and at the end of the duel, he had Mirror Force Dragon along with another dragon. I had Change of Heart and Serial Spell. So what I did was activate Change of Heart on MFD and activated Serial Spell to copy Change of Heart and use it on the other dragon. I'm curious, we couldn't come up with a concrete answer to what happens in this instance. Does Mirror Force Dragon end up killing himself? Is the Quick Play effect of Serial Spell faster than MFD's effect? Do I take both monsters or do they get destroyed?

So recently I had a bit of a weird play with a friend. We were using traditional format decks and at the end of the duel, he had Mirror Force Dragon along with another dragon. I had Change of Heart and Serial Spell. So what I did was activate Change of Heart on MFD and activated Serial Spell to copy Change of Heart and use it on the other dragon. I'm curious, we couldn't come up with a concrete answer to what happens in this instance. Does Mirror Force Dragon end up killing himself? Is the Quick Play effect of Serial Spell faster than MFD's effect? Do I take both monsters or do they get destroyed?

In this case, you cannot activate Serial Spell if your opponent chooses to use MFD's effect. You activate Change of Heart, targeting MFD, then as MFD has "When" in its response effect, your opponent is given the opportunity to respond (The same would apply with a card like Cydrafinity's negation effect). If they choose to activate MFD's effect, it becomes Chain Link 2, and since the last thing to have happened is MFD's effect, not your Normal Spell, you cannot then activate Serial Spell has Chain Link 3.

However, if your opponent does not use MFD's effect, you can then activate Serial Spell in response to your Change of Heart as Chain Link 2. You then target your opponent's other Dragon, then your opponent is give the opportunity to activate MFD's effect again. If they do not activate it, the chain resolves normally, and you get both monsters. If they do choose to activate it, it becomes Chain Link 3, and then it resolves in reverse order: MFD's nuke kills your (the activator of Change of Heart's) field, then you grab the monster targeted by Serial Spell, then you grab the monster targeted by Change of Heart.

Hope this was helpful and not too confusing ^^

I have a few more questions:

1 - Can Magician's Left Hand or Right Hand work on monsters effect?

2 - Can I use the effect of Star Pendulumgraph during the opponent's turn?

3 - When I activate Chain Burst, do I take 1000 damage?
4 - Can Dark End Dragon's effect work on pendulum monster?

I have a few more questions:

1 - Can Magician's Left Hand or Right Hand work on monsters effect?

2 - Can I use the effect of Star Pendulumgraph during the opponent's turn?

3 - When I activate Chain Burst do I take 1000 damage?

1.- No, when it says "Spell/Trap Card or effect" is when it also includes spells and traps activate an effect outside of the time they are initially activated (being played from the hand), it used to be "spell/trap card or spell/trap effect", the current text makes it shorter. If it doesnt say monster effect then no.

2.- Yes, if the condition is met, trigger effects (usually) dont care who's turn is, just that the something it asks for happens.

3.- No. A continuous card must be fully resolved to start applying an effect, so it counts trap activations after that.

What kind of timing are the F.A. level up effects similar to? I understand that they're trigger effects, but it seems like they have more unique timing compared to standard trigger-effect language. Could anyone clarify this a bit more?

For reference:

Each time a "F.A." Spell/Trap Card or effect is activated: You can increase this card's Level by 1.

What kind of timing are the F.A. level up effects similar to? I understand that they're trigger effects, but it seems like they have more unique timing compared to standard trigger-effect language. Could anyone clarify this a bit more?

After the chain involving an F.A. effect resolves, each of your monster's activate their effects to increase their Level equal to the number of F.A. Spells activated in that chain.

Thankyou for your reply, how about this question: Can Dark End Dragon's effect work on pendulum monster?

It cannot send that monster to the GY, so it cannot activate its effect.

After the chain involving an F.A. effect resolves, each of your monster's activate their effects to increase their Level equal to the number of F.A. Spells activated in that chain.

Let me rephrase my question: why can Astrograph Sorcerer added to hand by the effect of Wavering Eyes activate its effect after Wavering Eyes resolves, but a monster Special Summoned by F.A. Pit Stop or F.A. Test Run not level up? Initially I thought that it was the difference in wording for the timing ("Each time" vs "If) but it then led to the question of whether "Each time" was functionally identical to "If".

Let me rephrase my question: why can Astrograph Sorcerer added to hand by the effect of Wavering Eyes activate its effect after Wavering Eyes resolves, but a monster Special Summoned by F.A. Pit Stop or F.A. Test Run not level up? Initially I thought that it was the difference in wording for the timing ("Each time" vs "If) but it then led to the question of whether "Each time" was functionally identical to "If".

Unsure on this one, but I believe it's the difference between an effect triggering off a card/effect's activation (F.A.) as opposed to an effect itself (Astrograph). Astrograph was added to the hand as part of the same effect that destroyed the cards it would trigger off, but the activation of a card happens before resolution, and before priority is given over to your opponent.

Unsure on this one, but I believe it's the difference between an effect triggering off a card/effect's activation (F.A.) as opposed to an effect itself (Astrograph). Astrograph was added to the hand as part of the same effect that destroyed the cards it would trigger off, but the activation of a card happens before resolution, and before priority is given over to your opponent.

The reason F.A monsters don't get their effects when summoned off of pit stop is essentially because they aren't effects that activate in hand. The reason you can activate Astrograph that you searched off of Wavering Eyes is because it causes disputes. If I have X card in hand (not Astrograph), activate Wavering Eyes and search Astrograph, then declare that I am summoning Astrograph, my opponent can say "I don't think the card in your hand was Astrograph" (Which it isn't). My opponent calls a judge, but what can the judge do? He can't tell my opponent that the card in my hand wasn't Astrograph, because he is revealing something that isn't public knowledge. This rule was created to solve stupid sheet like this. 

Can I use Zombie Master to activate its effects when there are no zombie monster in the graveyard, so I can discard one zombie monster from my hand to the graveyard and then special summon it on the field?

You cannot activate card effects if you cannot fully resolve said effect at time of activation. Even though Zombie Master sends from hand as cost, you cannot attempt to activate it if you or your opponent do not have a zombie in grave.

Thanks for your answer:

1 - Not long ago I asked about Oasis of Dragon Souls activated when Zombie World is on the field and the answer was if Zombie World was activated before the Oasis then the monster will be Wyrm Type, but isn't Zombie World's effect is continuous?

2 - Are Start of the Damage Step and before damage calculation the same?

3 - If I have more than 1 Swordsman of Revealing Light in my hand and the opponent attack me directly, can I summon all of them on the field?

Thanks for your answer:

1 - Not long ago I asked about Oasis of Dragon Souls activated when Zombie World is on the field and the answer was if Zombie World was activated before the Oasis then the monster will be Wyrm Type, but isn't Zombie World's effect is continuous?

3 - If I have more than 1 Swordsman of Revealing Light in my hand and the opponent attack me directly, can I summon all of them on the field?

Thanks for your answer:

1.- Going by that logic, it should be because zombie world already "transformed the monster into a zombie, then it went to wyrm, even if the effect is continuous, if something else change the type, that effect will prevail unless another zombie world is activated again.

2.- No, the start of damage step happens after attack declaration, in this phase the monster is flipped (if it was set). Damage calculation is a sub phase of the (whole) damage step right before how many LP are substracted from the battle, but the monster(s) havent clash yet.

3.-As far as i know, you shouldnt be able to

1.- Going by that logic, it should be because zombie world already "transformed the monster into a zombie, then it went to wyrm, even if the effect is continuous, if something else change the type, that effect will prevail unless another zombie world is activated again.

2.- No, the start of damage step happens after attack declaration, in this phase the monster is flipped (if it was set). Damage calculation is a sub phase of the (whole) damage step right before how many LP are substracted from the battle, but the monster(s) havent clash yet.

3.-As far as i know, you shouldnt be able to

3 is correct. 

When Wave Motion Cannon receive a counter in standby phase, is it inactivated?

It does not activate until it is sent to the graveyard.

Archived