Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

On the contrary, while its meaning isn't consistent among cards in the game, "Deck" almost always refers to the Main Deck. (An exception being even if you return a card to the Extra Deck with an effect that says "shuffle it into the Deck," you still proceed beyond a following "and if you do" or "then".)

I think you misunderstand me, when I say Deck also refers to Extra Deck, that example you gave is exactly what I mean.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My opponent flips up Time Pendumgraph and activates its effect. Am I able to chain Ghost Ogre and Snow Rabbit at this point?

No, you have to wait for them to activate the effect when Time Pendulumgraph has already resolved. If they flip Time Pendulumgraph and immediately declare that they are targeting a Magician on their side and a card on your side, that means that they are using the effect of Time Pendulumgraph in the same Chain Link as the Time Pendulumgraph itself. Thus, Time Pendulumgraph is not considered a "Trap that is already face-up on the field" for Ghost Ogre's effect.

Try Cosmic Cyclone instead, if you can access it. Also very good vs the Magician cards in the Pendulum Zones.

For lab purposes: Zoodiac Xyzs uses ANY Zoo monster (for cheating Xyz) regardless of its Type, Level, Rank, etc. If a Zoo Link monster was ever released (please no) could that monster be used as a material for xyz zoo monsters?

Link Monsters can become Xyz Material. They simply have no Levels to be used for a conventional Xyz Summon.

Once per turn, you can also Xyz Summon "Zoodiac Broadbull" by using 1 "Zoodiac" monster you control with a different name as Xyz Material. (If you used an Xyz Monster, any Xyz Materials attached to it also become Xyz Materials on this card.)

A "Zoodiac" monster is a monster with "Zoodiac" in its name. If a Link Monster you control has "Zoodiac" in its name, it's "1 'Zoodiac' monster you control".

If each player controls exactly 1 monster each, and a monster among them is targeted for an attack or by a card effect. After that, let's say a quick effect that switches their control is used, such as "Switcheroroo".

What happens with the battle or the resolving effect?

Monsters didn't really leave or enter the field, and the monsters never stopped being face-up on the field, even if they changed zones to the opposite side. Does the battle get a replay? Does the effect stop applying? Or does whatever that is happening still go through?

If each player controls exactly 1 monster each, and a monster among them is targeted for an attack or by a card effect. After that, let's say a quick effect that switches their control is used, such as "Switcheroroo".

What happens with the battle or the resolving effect?

Monsters didn't really leave or enter the field, and the monsters never stopped being face-up on the field, even if they changed zones to the opposite side. Does the battle get a replay? Does the effect stop applying? Or does whatever that is happening still go through?

If an attacking monster is no longer on the turn player's side of the field, the attack stops and the battle ends. (A replay doesn't occur since the monster can't attack anymore, not being on the turn player's side of the field.)

As for the effect, it depends on the effect and whether it cares whether the targeted monster is still on the same side of the field as it was when it was targeted ("it"/"that monster"/etc. vs "that target"/"that monster you control"/"that opponent's monsters"/etc.).

1 - Some Monsters with the description "when this card is normal summon successfully, no Trap card can be activated". Does that mean that no player can activate Trap afterwards as long as this monster on the Field?

2 - About Ebone Magician effect, it can special summon Dark Magician from deck or hand. When Dark Magician declare an attack, it can banish one card on the field. Will it be able to continue the attack after banishing the other card or the card that it is attacking to?

Thank-you

1. Nope. All it means is that they can't Chain Traps like Bottomless Trap Hole or Torrential Tribute to the Summon, making bringing those monsters out a little safer when your opponent has a bunch of Set cards.

2. If Ebon banishes what Dark Magician is battling, you get a replay (a chance to get another attack because your opponent's field changed) because damage calculation has not yet begun. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can banish an entire board this way.

1. Nope. All it means is that they can't Chain Traps like Bottomless Trap Hole or Torrential Tribute to the Summon, making bringing those monsters out a little safer when your opponent has a bunch of Set cards.

2. If Ebon banishes what Dark Magician is battling, you get a replay (a chance to get another attack because your opponent's field changed) because damage calculation has not yet begun. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can banish an entire board this way.

It can be used only once per turn anyways, beyond that a replay is not a second attack, as far as I know cards like mirror force cannot be used.

Just want to clarify here that you do not Chain to a Summon, you respond to it. A Summon does not start a Chain, so saying you Chain to it is not correct. The timing here is also important, you can still use cards that negate Summons, as this refers to the point where the card is already considered on the field, Torrential Tribute cannot be activated, but Solemn Warning can.

Thank-you for your answers, it helps a lot. However, I still think when Ebone ability choose to banish a trap card like Mirror Force can still be activated to destroy both Ebone Magician and Dark Magician before it gets banished, since it is a trap card its effect is quicker than the monster's effect.

I have a few more questions regarding Odd-eyes Ritual:

1 - The Odd-eyes Advent effect to allow me to sent 2 Odd-eyes monsters from Extra deck to Graveyard when the opponent to control 2 or more monsters and I control none. Is 2 monsters sent to the Graveyard for ritual summon the Odd-eye Ritual Dragon from my hand?

2 - Can ritual monster like the Odd-eye Ritual Dragon be special summon, such as with pendulum summon or with spell cards like Monster Reborn?

Thank-you

I have a few more questions regarding Odd-eyes Ritual:

1 - The Odd-eyes Advent effect to allow me to sent 2 Odd-eyes monsters from Extra deck to Graveyard when the opponent to control 2 or more monsters and I control none. Is 2 monsters sent to the Graveyard for ritual summon the Odd-eye Ritual Dragon from my hand?

2 - Can ritual monster like the Odd-eye Ritual Dragon be special summon, such as with pendulum summon or with spell cards like Monster Reborn?

Thank-you

1. It works for any Dragon Ritual, but provided that the Levels of the monsters you send equal/exceed the Level of what you want (in this case, Advent's Level 7), you can send any number (as long as 1 of them doesn't equal/exceed on its own). Advent just says you can send Odd-Eyes monsters from the ED; doesn't say "exactly 2". 

2. No on Pendulum Summon, because you must Ritual Summon them first. The same applies for any monster that must be Special Summoned from the hand / Extra Deck a certain way. However, you may Special Summon them from the GY if they were properly summoned, if they do not have a Nomi condition.

===

Again though, some of the questions you have can be answered by simply reading the Wikia, especially for Ritual Monsters. You know what that is, right?

Thank-you for your reply, but the description of the Odd-eye Ritual Monster said you "can" ritual summon this card, not "must". Like you say it can be special summon from the Graveyard so why is it different than the special summon from the hand?

I did check the Wikia page but couldn't find the answer :)

You can use Advent to Ritual Summon Gravity (or any Dragon Ritual that you have the resources to Tribute for) from either the hand OR GY if you want.

Difference between summoning from the hand or GY is that once a monster returns to the hand or Deck, it is no longer treated as being Special Summoned properly and thus you must redo the requirements to get to it again; the game treats it as a new monster.

In general, if the monster is in the GY (assuming that you did summon it properly), then you can revive it because you already met its conditions (again, assuming that it is not a Nomi monster). For this card's case, because it can Ritual Summon from the Graveyard, if you did send Gravity Dragon there from the hand/Deck and did not Ritual Summon properly from the hand, you can Ritual Summon it from there if you have the proper monsters needed as Tributes. 

Back when I was actually playing the game, Necrovalley's errata was "cards in the Graveyard are unaffected by effects", but the current errata is "negate any effect that would move a card in the Graveyard to a different place". That would mean that if Necrovalley is on the field and I, for example, activate the effect Altergeist Marionetter to revive another Altergeist from the Graveyard while I have Altergeist Protocol active, then Necrovalley is unable to negate Marionetter's effect and I will successfully Special Summon, right?

Back when I was actually playing the game, Necrovalley's errata was "cards in the Graveyard are unaffected by effects", but the current errata is "negate any effect that would move a card in the Graveyard to a different place". That would mean that if Necrovalley is on the field and I, for example, activate the effect Altergeist Marionetter to revive another Altergeist from the Graveyard while I have Altergeist Protocol active, then Necrovalley is unable to negate Marionetter's effect and I will successfully Special Summon, right?

I believe you can do that yes, Necrovalley is an active negation from the wording I can see, the wording on Protocol prevents negation period.

A ruling was issued today regarding this exact scenario.

https://www.db.yugioh-card.com/yugiohdb/faq_search.action?ope=5&fid=14915&keyword=&tag=-1&request_locale=ja

It also includes the scenario in which you target Protocol to activate Marionetter's effect.

(If you target something other than Protocol, Marionetter's effect resolves as normal. This is expected. If you target the only Protocol you control, you end up sending the Protocol to the Graveyard, but Special Summoning nothing.)

Hello, I have few more questions

1. When Dard Magician attacks with Eborn Illusion Magician on the opponent's field, then Eborn effect to banish Magic Cylinder. Can I still activate it before it gets banished? If yes then when Magic Cylinder negates Dard Magician's attack, can it effect to banish card still be activated since its attack stops?

2. When Harpie Harpist is sent from the field to the Graveyard as an Xyz Material, can its effect still be activated from the Graveyard?

3. As new Master rules, I have to Xyz summon Bahamut Shark on Extra Monster Zone, what about Bahamut Shark's effect to summon another Xyz Monster field, can I summon the Xyz moonster on Nomal Monster Zone without a Link monster pointed to it?

Hello, I have few more questions

1. When Dard Magician attacks with Eborn Illusion Magician on the opponent's field, then Eborn effect to banish Magic Cylinder. Can I still activate it before it gets banished? If yes then when Magic Cylinder negates Dard Magician's attack, can it effect to banish card still be activated since its attack stops?

2. When Harpie Harpist is sent from the field to the Graveyard as an Xyz Material, can its effect still be activated from the Graveyard?

3. As new Master rules, I have to Xyz summon Bahamut Shark on Extra Monster Zone, what about Bahamut Shark's effect to summon another Xyz Monster field, can I summon the Xyz moonster on Nomal Monster Zone without a Link monster pointed to it?

1. Ebon Illusion Magician's effect activates as Chain Link 1 and then Magic Cylinder activates as Chain Link 2, they resolve backwards so the attack is negated and Magic Cylinder inflicts damage, then it's banished by Ebon Illusion Magician's effect. Magic Cylinder does not have to be on the field to resolve anyway.

2. A monster is considered sent to the Graveyard both if an Xyz Monster it's attached to leaves the field and if it's detached. It would not be considered sent from the field to the Graveyard as Xyz Materials are not considered to be on the field but in limbo (in the show this is depicted by them floating as overlay units above the Xyz Monster), but Harpie Harpist only has to be sent to the Graveyard (it doesn't matter from where) to activate its effect during the End Phase. 

3. No. You need for either both Extra Monster Zones to be unoccupied, one Extra Monster Zone unoccupied with the other occupied by an opponent's monster, or have an unoccupied Monster Zone that a Link Monster points to (either a Main Monster Zone or Extra Monster Zone) in order to Special Summon an Xyz Monster from the Extra Deck using an effect like Bahamut Shark's. For any type of Summon from the Extra Deck, it must be to either an Extra Monster Zone and/or a Main Monster Zone that a Link Monster points to.

Archived