Changing the Mod Team

Frequent posters, knowledge of the section and it's dynamics, knowledge of the section's material, objectivity, a more centrist view (needed for General these days).

They're not perfect, nobody is, but I don't see anyone better suited to deal with disputes from the section. 

Tom and Vla1ne's posts in debates should honestly be an example for the rest of the forum (and this is coming from a guy who really doesn't see eye to eye with them often)

Edit: Rescinding my earlier comment about TCG. It's more a matter of not using Kook and Fusion enough rather than needing a strongman. That being said, an Advanced Clause for TCG might be nice just to bring it back to its Summer 2015 days

Not disagreeing, although like before I haven't personally seen enough from them to look over general.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... I gotta a very powerful hate boner against Black, for reasons I do not wish to discuss and I think we'd all prefer to keep private. The mods who were mods at the time should know why.

But then again, I'm barely even a member of this community so what the funk do I know?

Catterjune if I may.

I would seriously recommend talking to Black about this. Regardless of how things turn out in the end, talking about these issues can really help you and help alleviate a possibly tumultuous situation. I didn't do this and I paid a price for it. Even if it is private, coming to an understanding is better than nothing.

I've been a moderator for more than 6 different forums, so I'd help if you want it.

...Though you might not want me, as I'm not active everyday though to real life work and such things.

Even so, as long as my thread here: http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/231560-dragon-ball-the-eternal-journey-best-dragon-ball-gallery-on-ycm-ever-updated-62616-460/

remains, I'm fine. XD

It was moved to "Experimental Cards" a while ago for some reason, but was always in "Pop Culture" before. I was wondering if any current Moderator would be willing to move the thread back there again. It lost a lot of popularity with the move. Especially since the "Experimental" section is pretty much "dead"... :/

It's Dragon Ball, so that's Pop Culture of course, and I don't consider it a simple experiment. Everything there is according to plan. :)

After working on the gallery/set for over 8 years, I honestly think it deserves the move back.

Also... Sakura is a good Moderator, but I can agree on the fact that he's too strict sometimes. My thread was locked after just a month or 2 of not updating it. But once again, plenty of us have social lives. It's an endless ongoing gallery that won't stop until the day YCM closes itself. That's why... I'd like to request it become a "Sticky" thread as well.

Thanks.

Hmm...

Typically, I'm hesitant to put mods on a chopping block unless they either don't want the position anymore, or they're clearly unfit for the role, or inactivity has consumed them entirely. So I would need a compelling argument made, and names would actually have to be mentioned alongside them, or I'll just draw a blank on that.

Adding new mods is always such a hassle, because half the time, there simply isn't anyone legitimately fit for a position, depending on the section. CC mods are always a nightmare to work with, because of reasons I've cited before. The standards of a good CC mod is just THAT much higher than any other mod position.

You are, of course, completely on point when you say the leadership isn't always united. For the most part, they run their own sections as they see fit, and presumably communicate with their peers as necessary.

But either I blanked worse than normal, or the thing with updating the site rules came the hell out of nowhere, and actually should not have been done without the rest of the mod team seeing and discussing it beforehand.

As far as the potential for a new Super Mod (since I did drop LZ from the role when I realized he'd been inactive for almost a full year), let me just throw out this interesting little tidbit:

The true role of a Super Mod, other than as a sort of "final word" judge, is to prevent the return of the Dark Age, when moderators had almost literally no power whatsoever beyond their most basic duties, and the perpetual absence of the one with greater power meant it was a gamble at all whether the status quo could be altered, or if the site was doomed to stagnate and wither away, as nothing could be changed, improved, or fixed without the divine approval of an absent god.

If I personally were to pick one of the current mods to be one of the three pillars preventing the literal collapse of everything, I'd give it to Flame Dragon. Why? He's active, and I have faith that he wouldn't potentially obliterate the entire site. To me, those are the single two most important criteria for the role of Super Mod, because again, the true significance of the role is to make sure the site doesn't supernova. I suppose having no reason to assume he's mentally or emotionally unstable helps, but...hmm...

Hmm...

Typically, I'm hesitant to put mods on a chopping block unless they either don't want the position anymore, or they're clearly unfit for the role, or inactivity has consumed them entirely. So I would need a compelling argument made, and names would actually have to be mentioned alongside them, or I'll just draw a blank on that.

Adding new mods is always such a hassle, because half the time, there simply isn't anyone legitimately fit for a position, depending on the section. CC mods are always a nightmare to work with, because of reasons I've cited before. The standards of a good CC mod is just THAT much higher than any other mod position.

You are, of course, completely on point when you say the leadership isn't always united. For the most part, they run their own sections as they see fit, and presumably communicate with their peers as necessary.

But either I blanked worse than normal, or the thing with updating the site rules came the hell out of nowhere, and actually should not have been done without the rest of the mod team seeing and discussing it beforehand.

As far as the potential for a new Super Mod (since I did drop LZ from the role when I realized he'd been inactive for almost a full year), let me just throw out this interesting little tidbit:

The true role of a Super Mod, other than as a sort of "final word" judge, is to prevent the return of the Dark Age, when moderators had almost literally no power whatsoever beyond their most basic duties, and the perpetual absence of the one with greater power meant it was a gamble at all whether the status quo could be altered, or if the site was doomed to stagnate and wither away, as nothing could be changed, improved, or fixed without the divine approval of an absent god.

If I personally were to pick one of the current mods to be one of the three pillars preventing the literal collapse of everything, I'd give it to Flame Dragon. Why? He's active, and I have faith that he wouldn't potentially obliterate the entire site. To me, those are the single two most important criteria for the role of Super Mod, because again, the true significance of the role is to make sure the site doesn't supernova. I suppose having no reason to assume he's mentally or emotionally unstable helps, but...hmm...

You know who you should be supporting as a choice for a new moderator, so express yourself without fear. Be zealous.

Hmm...

Flame Dragon is never allowed to not be a mod.

well, read through, and i've been mentioned enough times that i no longer get to stay quiet do i?

first, I believe i've made it known already that i don't think i'm fit for modship, but also, i have no real desire to be a mod right now. i enjoy being in debates, i think it was a good idea to reinstate somewhere for opposing views to just clash and let the normal members have at it within reason, but i have no desire at the moment to mod general. don't get me wrong, I would be interested in becoming a mod, and general is the only place i can say i'd have enough experience with to actually mod properly, but i do not think i would be active enough, or stringent enough to be a proper mod.

i will say this though, if i had to chose two people to mod general, tom and megalodon would be the two that i could see having the most beneficial effect there. megalodon posts news so often that i'm starting to suspect he lives in a secret police station, and he's never actually been in any real conflicts with anybody. i think he'd be a good central mod. he keeps the tempo of general constant, and provides good and bad articles for people to discuss. he'd be a damn strong addition. as for brightflame, regardless of his views, brightflame is, for the most part unbiased in his decisions (outside of guns and politics, but eh, that might just be me talking) he definitely has his moments of SJW, but he also respects speech and opposing opinions. regardless of his views, he's one of the people here i actually respect, because whether or not you like him or his views, he doesn't attempt to silence people, he merely attempts discussion. not to mention,he actually stands fully behind what he says, he's got the balls to put himself out there fully, and dare you to object. and i can't help but respect that. he doesn't strike me as the type of person who would use mod abilities unfairly. 

now, as for the issues, most of them have already been said and elaborated, so i'll just graze them you guys (mods) often do thins without warning, and while it's fun as hell sometimes, things like new rules need to be more transparent, these new rules wouldn't have half as much backlash if we'd all seen them coming and discussed them beforehand. i get that they aren't really anything new, but... well, i've already been over this enough

there have been a few unreasonable actions that have already been mentioned, whether this was by consensus or not is irrelevant, if you cannot, or will not reasonably explain your actions at the time of taking them, then you should reconsider taking said actions. to use a simpler example, making enguin go neg 5mil, that's an action that needs more of an explanation than "he was given them and decided to share". these kinds of actions have got to stop.

in addition, you really do appear to have difficulty working together, the rules have to be put in one place, they have to be consistent, and you guys should definitely be more willing to come to agreements. there have been more than a few times where i've seen mods argue or differ on opinions over punishments that have already been given. this leads me to believe that either you guys really don't have a solid code of conduct, or some of you forsake it in favor of your own emotions. that isn't right, and it has to be called out.

also, the warning points, there are sections, and discussions, that get heavy, there is nothing wrong with that, even the "winter approach" is appropriate enough so long as it isn't complete flames. from the status night made, he was warned over something so simple that any normal person would have laughed and kept it moving. yet the opportunity was taken, and he got riddled with potshots. that's not acceptable. you guys are mods, i get that, but the explanation given was utter bollocks, and it appears i'm not the only person who thought as much. i'm all for warning points when the actions call for it, but the issue that needs to be fixed is what actions call for them, and how should they be dissuaded. removing verbal warnings might make people think a bit more carefully, but it also allows you to blindside people the second they step out of line. that's not a good look at all. sure, make the ruling 1 verbal till warning point, or something similar, but some people cannot help but be abrasive, that doesn't make them wrong, and a point is no less valid because you don't like the way it was said. so in summary, please, just bring context into your warnings, on all fronts, if the person has made a strong point, but was overly abrasive, then warn them to tone it down, if it was nothing but harsh words with no actual substance, then tell them as much, and maybe warn them if it's been consistent, but you can't just warn out of nowhere, and establishing a rule that allows you to do so is not an i dea that i am willing to support.

that's enough for now i guess. hope that clears up my position on mods, and i've said much of what i can remember wanting to say, so my input's over for now.

also, it's been said at the start, but yeah, mods, if you have something to say in your defense, or in defense of another,, this would be the best time to do so. there have been enough points by now that it's just rude to lurk without putting in your own stances. (yes, i know many of you have already posted, but this is first and foremost about you mods improving your work, and improving the way things are done, so that topics like this no longer need to come about, so don't be shy.)

EDIT; i have no idea why the words i posted look so weird, my keyboard's still being ignorant.

Whenever we try to get something big done, we try to wait for the other mods to put their two cents in before a consensus is reached and a decision is finalized.

I personally have a problem when it takes a long time for several others to speak up. Yes, we know that a lot of us are busy with offline commitments, but when nobody spoke up in over a week, I got impatient and pushed the decision through.

Rushing decisions out makes us look bad, but I feel that taking too long for major actions don't look good either.

Well I guess that's final mate. Your life should come first before YCM. I do think you'd make a great general mod. Who knows what the future holds.

That being said, I'm still staunchly behind supporting Brightfire on this. Not opposed to Raeg either. I'd be interested to see if Tom is actually interested in the position. Which might not be a certainty.

Someone in-tune w/ the debate section definitely needs to be modded though 

Whenever we try to get something big done, we try to wait for the other mods to put their two cents in before a consensus is reached and a decision is finalized.

I personally have a problem when it takes a long time for several others to speak up. Yes, we know that a lot of us are busy with offline commitments, but when nobody spoke up in over a week, I got impatient and pushed the decision through.

Rushing decisions out makes us look bad, but I feel that taking too long for major actions don't look good either.

I think the point was

1) We're not posting dicks and tits all over, so the sexual clause seemed an overblown rxn to a few isolated incidents

2) The aggression has gone down thanks the idea of a debate section so jacking up or codifying more strict rules also seemed overblown

Still think the idea of perma wp is toxic for reasons I detailed before...but seems like you guys have your heart set on em 

I'm not sure why you guys dropped this nuke during a calm wave instead of a time where there was actually riots

i understand that it might take a while, but your decisions effect the entire site. literally nobody except the mods even knew such rules were being formed, there was no need to rush it. i mean, it's led to this (the more involved YCM members speaking up on the issues), so it's not completely bad, but at the same time, rushing and breaking things on the way is far worse than taking your time and making a decision that we can all stand behind. if your idea was to get a consensus, then the better option (yes, i know, hindsight is 20/20) would have probably been to bring it to the members not a a rule change, but as a proposal. i can't speak for the rest of the members (although i think they feel the same) but i would have been glad to hear of the new rules before they were implemented, and all the more so if i'd been able to go through them before a consensus was reached just to have the input of actively involved members. there's a lot of good in the new rules, but they were too sudden, they were too broad, and they were among the worst combinations of rules that could be put together.

not berating you, at least not fully, but It's often more productive to wait until things are perfected than to rush them out. i mean, don't be as slow as U.S. congress, but take your time to work out potential kinks in the rules beforehand. i personally have more faith in in mods who can wait for balance than those who rush for progress.

I honestly was not excepting for my name to be brought up in this.

My main concern is that I'll mess up really badly and not put my foot down when needed, our put my foot down when it's not needed. If I were to take such a position, I would want to do as good as a job I can, and I'm worried that I won't.

Aside from that, I don't mind, but I feel there's people more qualified than me.

I honestly was not excepting for my name to be brought up in this.

My main concern is that I'll mess up really badly and not put my foot down when needed, our put my foot down when it's not needed. If I were to take such a position, I would want to do as good as a job I can, and I'm worried that I won't.

understandable, and i apologize for putting you out there. you do good in general and in general, so i thought you'd make a strong mod. if not though, that's your decision.

well, i still stand behind my thoughts on brightflame being a good mod, and apologize if he also doesn't think it'd be a good idea. on the other hand, the initial idea behind it, i believe would be solid. due to the nature of general, (and more recently, debates) it needs two mods, one both sides of the fence, and they both need to be willing to compromise, and work together.

Can we get some modders that can work on the card maker itself?

Besides the whole "When are you gonna add Pendulum" lot of threads, I've also noticed, that even though the textbox for effects have been improved, the words can still fit much better at certain points.

For example: EupTFyT.jpg

The text should be made bigger to fit the entire box in this case, making it easier to read as well.

Besides the whole "When are you gonna add Pendulum" lot of threads, I've also noticed, that even though the textbox for effects have been improved, the words can still fit much better at certain points.

The text should be made bigger to fit the entire box in this case, making it easier to read as well.

Card maker is not the responsibility of the mods; card maker is the responsibility of YCMaker. Reason: Nobody wants to risk ruinning his coding and therefore his revenue stream. >>

The only one who can really mess with the code without breaking it is YCMaker, and unless he comes back sometime soon the only changes to the cardmaker are going to be aesthetic.

although if we're looking for mods smear's right here ;) ;)

jkbutnotreallyjokingatall

Card maker is not the responsibility of the mods; card maker is the responsibility of YCMaker. Reason: Nobody wants to risk ruinning his coding and therefore his revenue stream. >>

YCMaker. That's who I was thinking of, but couldn't remember the username...

Anyway, I never see him around here anymore, so... :/

YCMaker. That's who I was thinking of, but couldn't remember the username...

Anyway, I never see him around here anymore, so... :/

YCMaker only ever really comes here if he needs to. I remember years ago the mods actually tried to get his attention by merging his account with another and deleting it or something. Pretty sure that worked, but he only really came and fixed his account but that's it.

So are no other Mods ABLE to edit the card maker then? Don't know how? Can't?

I was also hoping he'd FINALLY add the "dot" symbol for effects like on Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning.

I've had to use numbers instead and explain why on threads...

Night and evilfusion do have access to some of the functions, but latter has already stated he doesn't wish to edit anything major, otherwise coding will be ruined. Then again, we'd all like him to fix things related to the cardmaker, including the Imgur thing and obviously Pendulums. 

Otherwise, you know about TCGEditor, right? 

So are no other Mods ABLE to edit the card maker then? Don't know how? Can't?

I was also hoping he'd FINALLY add the "dot" symbol for effects like on Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning.

I've had to use numbers instead and explain why on threads...

They are able to, but none have the coding experience + if they do, it's YCMakers code, so it could have bad side effects if done 

Also, I'm guessing you mean • ?

It works on normal, not effect, so that might be possible if one with coding experience looks at normal vs effect and tries to fix accordingly but other than that it's pretty risky to mess up the code.

Super Mods are able to access the Cardmaker coding.

But...I don't fully understand the coding, it uses a programming language I'm not super familiar with, and I have no idea where some of the variables are stored, which includes, but is not limited to, the templates. They seem to be in a completely different file to the rest of the card maker coding and functions just call these variable details. I figured this out when I first edited the Cardmaker code to call Spells "Spell" rather than "Magic". It hit a glitch because the variables associated with card icons (Quick-Play, Continuous, etc) are named "Magic", and when I changed it to Spell, it returned blank icons, meaning that the variables the functions are calling were NOT part of the code I edited, since Search and Replace was used.

So I can't change the variable names because wherever the variables are initially declared is NOT in the file I definitely had access to.

Also, kind of hesitant to mess with someone else's programming code without permission.

Could somone pull a Crab Helmet again? It might be worth it to get YCMaker's attention

The bigger issue is that certain things needed to improve or fix things in the site (possibly including that registration glitch) require YCMaker's IPboard account info. You know, to do things like renew licenses, purchase upgrades to the boards, etc. Which would probably cost him money.

Messing with his cardmaker coding is WAY less illegal than what the above would require.

The bigger issue is that certain things needed to improve or fix things in the site (possibly including that registration glitch) require YCMaker's IPboard account info. You know, to do things like renew licenses, purchase upgrades to the boards, etc. Which would probably cost him money.

Messing with his cardmaker coding is WAY less illegal than what the above would require.

*shrugs* Crab Helmet is a indie game developer rolling in dough ATM. Doesn't seem that much worse off for it. I just worry some of these glitches really hurt our new recruitment. And w/o new members all we're trying to do here is kinda pointless isn't it?

understandable, and i apologize for putting you out there. you do good in general and in general, so i thought you'd make a strong mod. if not though, that's your decision.

well, i still stand behind my thoughts on brightflame being a good mod, and apologize if he also doesn't think it'd be a good idea. on the other hand, the initial idea behind it, i believe would be solid. due to the nature of general, (and more recently, debates) it needs two mods, one both sides of the fence, and they both need to be willing to compromise, and work together.

Who to pull from the right if not you? It would be nice to have it be balanced but Brightfire alone would be a welcome addition.

Who to pull from the right if not you? It would be nice to have it be balanced but Brightfire alone would be a welcome addition.

you know i lean left right (by american standards)? i mean, i do have right wing tendencies now that i think about it, but i'm left for a lot of things. but either way, i have no idea, bright's a clear option, but i don't know too many other people i'd recommend for the other side, raeg doesn't want it, so i can't say i know too many others.

Archived