Changing the Mod Team

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First and foremost, I want to thank Night for his endorsement. And I would like to say that I don’t harbor resentment towards you for that, at all. You expressed your concerns with someone with potential to become your colleague, there is nothing wrong with that.

I would like to say that I agree with Night’s stance on section moderators… To a degree. While I think Moderators should be able to handle the whole site, I think dedicated leaders for sections in this way is a good thing. That is the kind of Moderator I wish to be. I don’t think I can add much to a section like TCG, though I could easily look in on it, due to knowing the section… But I do think I can add a lot to CC. Perfect? No, but I do have ideas and plans to improve it, and to try and incentivize activity and growth. I wouldn’t call it a golden age, either. I just know that I can do my best to improve that section.

And I don’t expect to be “in charge” of Sakura and Gadjiltron, if I’m given the position. Merely to work alongside them, and to be the figurehead. Last time, Koko was the figurehead, and I did a lot of background work, sometimes stepping out. This time, I would like the chance to be the one blazing a trail forward, trying to fix things, improve them. And I really believe I can do that.

Back to Night’s statement, I do agree with the roles, and I think that a mixture of both is good. Those who can lead sections to better and support the site, and those who can lead the site as a whole. These can intermingle, with someone serving multiple.

I cannot say what mine would be, though. The hardass, proba- *shot*

Realistically, I’m someone who can speak for both sides, because I’m someone who has experienced both sides in full. Member, Mod, and back to Member… And I’m someone who tries his hardest to make sure things are “right”.

While a PR mod isn't something we need in a perfect world, I do think something of the sort is needed here. There is a huge dichotomy between the members and mods at times, and it becomes apparent at times like these. I think this needs to be some fresh blood as well, so as to assure the member base, to make them feel heard. Simply delegating the role to an existing mod would beg the question of “Why is this just now happening, then?”

The problem is not solely on the mods, though. Where Night denounced this approach, I actually take pride in the members. As someone who was a mod, but currently is not, I really do find that there’s not much else to do in this scenario, and I’m proud that they stand up.

People asked me many times to say things, such as the mods seem distant/uninterested in the members, but it was rarely taken seriously. Why? Because the members that felt there was a dichotomy were too scared of repercussions to speak up, even though the team never punished anyone for speaking up, at least not for speaking up in a completely civil manner.

These ended in a handful saying there’s an issue… and a large amount saying there’s no issue. Whether the majority said there was an issue or not, there was always a low turnout. So the fact that members are choosing to speak up like this makes me happy, makes me proud. It means they’re trying to fix things on their end, where they have no power.

Not having power is a daunting thing. Theoretically, the team could go batshit and do whatever it wanted. And that’s what some examples, like the new rules, seem to be, sadly. Whether due to poor communication or consensus, it appeared from nowhere and seems like the team just doing what it wants, not what the members want.

There should be times where such is the case, but transparency makes that pill easier to swallow, especially if it truly seems to be for the greater good. I’m not taking a stance on the new rules here, but I do believe that the implementation and process were handled poorly, and that there needs to be a form of PR.

Koko fills this role to a degree, so I would say the fresh blood should be someone who can work with her, to better the site. Someone who can be the yin to her yang, as I was for CC. But I’m not the face the members want to be their PR, even if I can bridge the gap to a degree. I’m harsh, I don’t mince words, and I can be a hardass. Kook can do that all with less fanfare, so a “light” to her “dark” seems fitting, not another dark to her dark.

I thank you again, Night, for your endorsement. And I hope that I can join the team, to improve the site once more. I may have burned out in the past, but, honestly? I started crying when I began playing music to write this to. Because everything is looking up.

Home life isn’t amazing, but… 

My relationships, romantic and otherwise, are where they should be, again. 

I’ve grown, calmed down, and become more selective. I’m harsh, but I’m not cruel anymore. 

I’m being considered for the position I lost, but I’m in a better position to use it now.

I have a job, and I’m going back to school in a month and a half, if all goes well.

And here I am, starting to cry again as I finish typing this. So just… thank you, and I sincerely hope I get the chance to improve the site and the Moderation Team.

Perhaps promoting a member solely to manage the "bridge" between members and mods, like a diplomat figure.

To be honest, I always kind of considered this part of my role anyway but I never really outright declared it. I've always tried my best to get everyone's opinions on everything (including VCR, which I'm reasonably insulted that he didn't mention me tbh but what are you going to do I suppose) and remain unbiased although I imagine that it's probably for the best if it's not just me doing it.

(With this being said though, I'm also going to be keeping closer to TCG after I've heard complaints about both me and evilfusion not doing enough for the section; don't worry, I'll be there a lot more now but you guys have to help me by reporting when sheet starts)

To be honest, I always kind of considered this part of my role anyway but I never really outright declared it. I've always tried my best to get everyone's opinions on everything (including VCR, which I'm reasonably insulted that he didn't mention me tbh but what are you going to do I suppose) and remain unbiased although I imagine that it's probably for the best if it's not just me doing it.

(With this being said though, I'm also going to be keeping closer to TCG after I've heard complaints about both me and evilfusion not doing enough for the section; don't worry, I'll be there a lot more now but you guys have to help me by reporting when s*** starts)

You also interact with the community a lot more via Discord and Vanguard as well, although not being too active on the forum itself in terms of posts you are definitely a big help to the community from what i've seen.

So, a bit off topic, but what made the mods pick up Discord besides it being an alternate third party tool to monitor the community?  And granted it's fast, forcing a third party program (not that it's a bad program, I've used it before) on mods seems kind of random.

well, this is gonna be a long one. there's a lot to say, and while i am quite a bit newer than most of the people putting in their input for changes, i'd like to speak a bit more of my mind as well.

I'm going to say something questionable and I'd like everyone to hear me out.

[spoiler=Dad s advice']
General is the section we want modded the most and the least.  Because of "touchy" topics and "questionable" material, it's a love/hate section.  So clearly, you'd like to put a mod in place that frequents that section and knows it's ups and downs.  You need someone who likes the section enough to be active there, but dislikes it enough to be stern when something stupid or intolerable happens.  You need someone who can put their foot down in the right place, without leaving their heels on the wrong persons.  

But that requires both unbiased judgement and centrist views (because General consists of the Debates section now).  That means your moderator needs to be well equipped to handle extremes from both ends of the spectrum, as well as mediate with reason and not emotion.  But that means you also need someone who knows where their own views lie (be it left or right) but is willing to compromise for the sake of the section and/or keeping it from falling apart.

That leaves me with two names:

Winter and Roxas.  Polar opposites.

Winter represents what YCM dislikes but needs:

• Controversy - the central point of General which generates discussion and keeps it active
  • Balance - you have enough mods representing the left end of the spectrum but who aren't willing to get dirty or aggressive unless it's too late and things blow up.  Change that.
  • Transparency - the mod team is secretive.  Often too secretive.  As much as I butt heads with Winter, I know him as well as I know Pat.  The rest of the mod team I can't really speak for.
Roxas represents what moves YCM, but what makes it sluggish:
  • Patience - It takes Roxas some time to blow up.  I've rarely seen it (until the incident with Winter), and minus the backlash Pat has done a solid job of moving between each sub-forum and making moves without causing total chaos.
  • Control - exactly what General is lacking.  Someone who has good self-control and doesn't spout off too much without reason.
  • Experience - He's been doing this for some time.  While General desperately needs change, approaching it with new blood is a sketchy idea.  You stick someone too fresh in General, and they'll get run over.  Real quick.
Honorable mentions that will also get me threatening PMS:
  • Thar
  • Dae
  • Mido

You didn't misread this.  Bring downvotes back so you can bury this post.  Flame me, whatever.  I'll stand by my words. and why would we hate you for speaking your mind?

I'm with dad for the most part here, the section with the largest need for damage control is general. i expect debates will keep it down for the most part., but as said multiple times before, it needs at least two mods, if any, with differing opinions, if it's to remain steady. and I actually think he's made a strong point for roxas and winter.

as for thar, i don't encounter him often, or at least not in too many memorable ways, but when i do, he's usually pretty peaceful, i could see him taking a seat as one of the bridge members, if not as a mod. 

i have no idea, why you picked dae, but i have to say, giving him a seat as mod, while interesting, would probably lead to some hilariously terrible things. again, as a bridge, he'd be pretty amazing, considering he's not as... whatever you would describe him as normally, as he pretends to be. but as a mod himself, i can't quite see it. fun, yes, and i'd probably enjoy watching it, but i don't think it'd end well.

Mido, i completely forgot about him somehow. he'd make a strong mirror to brightflame or roxas as well, from what i see of him, he's on the opposite side as bright and roxas, so those two might be strong counterparts to each other.

but for the most part, i've gotta say i respect those nominations, and even the one i consider a little shaky, might be interesting if done in the way night suggested.

I have a f*** ton to say that extends past this, but idk how to say it just yet.
 [spoiler=night's points']
On topic points though for now:

• I'm not content with the way staff is at the moment, I've never been in the past 4 years. One thing that needs to be really f***ing understood is that it will never be perfect, mods will never be perfect, and our attendance will never be perfect. 
  • Understand that nothing decided today, and no one promoted tomorrow or next week or next month or next year will ever be perfect. We're all people in this community first and foremost, mods, super mods, average members and new members. It's a group effort and our failures and successes depend solely upon our ability to operate together, all of us.
  • Calling for staff reformation ever other month in a group onslaught is more harmful than helpful.
  • One thing I'd like to establish to deter s*** like this from happening is putting together a coalition of sorts, trusted members and community mods working together at all times to weed out issues before they escalate.
  • Perhaps promoting a member solely to manage the "bridge" between members and mods, like a diplomat figure.
  • The concept of moderators promoted solely to manage sections is archaic and moronic when you factor in the fact that moderating has become pseudo-administrating, we don't need that s*** anymore. Promoting moderators for more out-of-the box roles, like the diplomat and perhaps even an event-coordinator have always been ideas that I've wanted to implement, it seems like the right time to put forth said plans. 
  • Re-arranging the team to legitimately have secondary or primary roles within the collective. For example I've always been poised as the figurative leader, Sakura has been the report collector, LZ (rip, gone but never forgotten, you'll always be my boy) the neutral voice of reason, etc. Even back in the day we had Rinne as the coder, and as a regular mod I was the designer. 
  • Basically my point being, I don't give a f*** about just what a member can do to moderate a section, what else can you do. 
  • I have mods for General floating in my head, still thinking on it. But you can bet your ass if you're promoted, you're doing more than just collecting reports and browsing general.
  • I have reservations with Black being a mod. I think he's one of the best mods we've ever had, and personally he's one of the only friends outside of Showcase that I've come to have on this site. There are 4 mods I've come to know that I admire greatly, but would always be wary of when it comes to giving them power. Pika, Frunk, Mikhail and Black. Pika was a good leader, a legitimate example that sometimes you ignore everything else and just f***ing lead. Clearly that didn't work out too well, but a leader nonetheless. Frunk suffered from much of the same, but he did a lot for this site, so much s*** can be attributed to him. Mikhail was just dope, everyone hated the f***, but as an individual he was legitimately remarkable in many aspects. 
  • Black, like all the others is a leader, not a subordinate. All of them burned out because leaders cannot be corralled or controlled. Good luck stripping them of power and expecting good results. And that's what happened. Not just the s*** with Pika but even after. Black, you harbored many negative emotions toward staff for a very long time, and there were many times that it translated into unneeded issues for the site. I just want that to be acknowledged.
  • Though still all of that s*** is irrelevant now, I genuinely don't think you're the exact same person. And I really want to work with you instead of being forced to work around you. I've seen growth from you, and even though you probably feel some resentment toward me for noting that other s***, just know that it's not with ill-intent and I'm genuine in my belief in you. And I hope that you agree and are willing to be on the team again to benefit the forum.
  • I want to promote Black for CC. 

• Nobody's content, nobody will ever satisfy everybody, and that's just something we all have to live with, even as we work to improve things. i assume that's your point correct? if so, i'd agree wholeheartedly. 
  • While this topic was probably a long time coming, i'd be best if any decisions made weren't rushed. but also, yes, we are all human, and that's why i have to ask not only for transparency, but for cooperation with the community. i think, from your following statements, that's the same conclusion you've come to, yours is a bit more thought out though, considering i haven't actually pointed out a solution, merely listed the problem.
  • Well, i can't say much, this is the first time i've seen one actually called for to this degree, and i've never seen this many axes grinding at the same time, it might be more harmful than helpful in most cases, but i think here, it's appropriate to get something solved here, what that is is up for debate, but  the root problems appear to be sudden (to us) decisions, bad rulings, unfair judgement, and discontent with the way things are done, while it's true nobody's perfect, there is a lot productive that can be done if this thread is used properly to address and remedy concerns. which at this point, i believe it might be.
  • I believe everybody here can agree on that (if the people advocating for the positions are anything to go by). and it's really a better idea overall than just establishing new mods and telling them to fix the problem. mods can handle the heavy things, while the normal members can address the side issues that while too small to need a mod, are large enough to need addressing. not perfect, never perfect, but a damn strong start.
  • I'd say promote a few more than one, but i assume that's what you meant. maybe one or two from each, or every other section, who are active and informed. i also should suggest that you rotate the position, that way nobody gets too comfortable with it, and that way we all can learn the overall process eventually which, in theory, would increase trust, and discourage abuse of power from every area. that would also help in the future were you to actually wish to upgrade somebody to mod position, you'd have a clear understanding of how they operate, even if you never see them often, you'd have examples of how they act and their ideals.
  • I can get behind that completely, but while moderating certain areas is an old idea, it's not as bad of an idea as you might believe right now. some areas, like TCG, CC, Roleplay, GENERAL, and the forums (news, intros, comments, questions, suggestions, ect) those areas in particular would benefit greatly from dedicated mods, so long as those modes are balanced in their decisions.
  • I don't have much to do with the mods, so i can't comment here (although i believe we all miss LZ)
  • Fair enough, but again, certain areas do need people who are legitimately good at being moderators. the sections more likely to get a bit out of hand without consistent, and trusted voices of reason/ authority. what else they can do still factors in, but the ability to moderate discussion is important still.
  • Now that you've said that, i assume you've gotten quite a few people curious.
  • Nothing i can really say here since i'm too new to know enough. 
  • Compromise is what's needed, i can assume black has grown from his prior time as a mod, and from time in general not in general. i'd say give him another shot. and i guess you did too.

j/s

[spoiler=VCR s points']

Gonna be some Beef Rantings a bit, based on what I've seen of the mod team. If you don't like what I'm saying you're free to ignore me. I'm not going to like, directly insult anyone or flame; but I do have some issues with how "modship" is handled on this site.

First and foremost, it doesn't seem like anyone on the mod team is actually willing to get anything done beyond the technical crap that usually Sakura handles (quite well I should say, though). The perfect example I can think of is an experience I had on Discord involving me getting some s*** from another member. It took a while to actually get some mod action done, in the meantime mods not being sure if they even should do anything in case it's the wrong decision or w/e. Finally he got banned, but then when he came back because he forgot his password and had to make a new account, he wasn't re-banned because idek.

I'm not saying that rules should apply to Discord or anything of that like; but this is more or less how I've seen the mods operate on this site as a whole: Indecisive and overly cautious. There are rules, and if someone breaks the big ones and warrants a ban, ban them and leave them banned. I mean, there's a whole thing about how "permaban" isn't even a thing on this site because people just get let back in despite being banned for perfectly legitimate reasons. There's a lot of wishy-washing on decisions, and some take longer than they should, if they're made at all. I understand that longer bans and permabans are larger decisions; but for smaller instances there are smaller punishments, and it definitely feels like the mod team needs to be more confident in its decision-making and own up to the decisions they make. Part of this leads to my second major gripe.

Honestly, we shouldn't need a PR rep for the mod team. At the least, people like Gadj are able to actually interact with other members from time-to-time. Talk to people, be transparent, cut it out with all the bullshit circle-jerking that happens behind the curtains half the time. What's going to make the decisions easier to make is if the mod team actually knows and interacts with the community they're supposed to be "taking care of" so to speak (idk how to describe the duties).

I mean like, honestly, I barely know most of the mod team. Sometimes talk with Gadj; but as far as I know Night is just the dude who appears rarely; frick if I've ever actually had any kind of conversation with fusion; and Sakura isn't exactly the most sociable individual online. The mod team doesn't need a PR individual; they need to just plain interact with the community more often. When I think of "YCM's mod team", "Glorified Janitors" comes to mind before "Involved Community Member". If I was more of a new member, sure I would acknowledge my own need to interact with the community more; but I've been involved for over a year, and I've still barely interacted with any of these individuals. Lift the curtain and actually interact with us more; stop hiding behind it.

to be fair, discord is a separate site from YCM, yes, i understand it's apparently becoming more involved, but that doesn't mean it's always subject to the same rules which you say later on as well. you got your desired result though, so there's no real reason to be annoyed at the result.

as for speed, when a mod takes action, it should be informed action. overly cautious is far better than too fast to act. i assume they want to get the full story before taking action. as for perma bans, they do exist, i know of at least three people who've been banned and have yet to be allowed to return (zazu, banter, and whomever getter emperor was, along with whoever was stalking j-max) permabans are upheld rather often, the issue you appear to have is that some of the people that you don't want to come back are allowed to. if they go through the stated channels, and have actually learned from their mistakes, then why not let them back with a seprate account (can't support not letting out their prior identity on threat of rebanning, but i guess you could compromise that at keep it till 1-2K posts)? which was why, out of all the new rules, i was in favor of the 365 appeal rule that was added the most. sure, banning is supposed to be the final solution, but why not allow people back who've actually learned their lesson? it doesn't hurt anybody does it? yes, mods need to have confidence, but the concept of perma ban is rather bad to begin with, if there are people willing to tone down their actions who have been banned, and actually keep said promise, there is no harm in reinstating them. people online aren't inherently evil, (on this site at least) they're simply younger, and from what i can see, the people who've been allowed back have either made themselves into proper members, or have at least practiced not being cancer. members get older, and they mature in that time, take black and catterjune for example, from what i've read, they were rather tyrannical in their earlier days, but now? they're rather mellow, and they've definitely got more experience behind them. hell, blacks liable to get back his status as a mod if this keeps up, and i support it wholeheartedly. people change, giving somebody a second chance isn't as bad as you believe, yes, people have been let back on, but how many of them can you honestly say are the same person today as when they were banned?

shouldn't doesn't mean don't. mods aren't machines, nor are they gods, night's decision was the best way to do it imo, and i believe i've said my piece on that in my response to him. having varied and changing representatives could help everybody on the site understand how things work on the other side, and people could then assist in drafting and honing new rules in a far easier manner. yes, i agree that mods should also remain involved, but representatives would definitely be helpful in addition to mods.

representatives would alleviate that issue. you know cowcow, dad, and giga right? you know winter, brightflame, hina, dae, striker, nyx, spinda, aggro, and black right? you know a lot of members right? why not have them, people you (for the most part) trust, working alongside the mods to make decisions? again, there's definitely a need to open up interactions, but it's not always easy, or quick, and if it's forced, it's just gonna burn out people more often than not. and yes, mods ARE, glorified janitors and as a janitor, i resent that statement, but they're also glorified paper pushers, glorified nannies, and glorified members of this site. they have responsibilities here, and irl, and occasionally, those responsibilities come before posting, or getting along with people they don't know. yeah, it can suck, but i assume they all have things to do outside, and on, this site, that don't let them be all that active. hell, i used to see nai everywhere on this site, while i still do, it's to a far lesser extent than how he used to post.

well, that's it from me. i'll gladly hear any objections you all may have to my opinions. or if  left anything out.

I've always believed that my greatest quality as a mod is that I've extremely level-headed and unemotional, the latter referring primarily to how I don't let personal feelings interfere with my judgment. I am also one of the mods who prefer a cautious approach when observing situations. I want context and background info when it comes to things that might be taken out of context.

But I've also typically lingered mostly in TCG or one of a few other threads, so it is fairly unlikely that I'd ever really have a conversation with anyone specific, unless I was approached for one. I'm not a social butterfly, so I'm unlikely to seek out personalized social interactions, even if I'm not completely opposed to having them. This at times works to my benefit, for it makes it less likely that I'll form a favorable bias towards someone I've befriended.

Could I be more social and interact with the community more? Uh...theoretically, but I wouldn't bet on it. I'm perfectly willing to address things brought to my attention, and attempt to do so quickly as a Super Mod, but I'm not the type to actively go around the community, asking people how they're doing and if they have issues or concerns. It would be exhausting for me to do that, as an introvert, and probably accomplish little.

If people desire to help, have the official process be that they express their desire privately with a designated party and have another open thread to list and discuss those people (you can have them write a intentions and self-assessment) and whatever they might have written. It helps avoid people who later grow weary as a result of this place causing a burst of passion like joining the military after a surge of brilliant propaganda during war to find yourself realizing three months later you never made a long-term emotional investment. Certainly better than relegating every person to a quantified one vote (that being that thoughts in synthesis are multiplicative instead of a democratic "adding").

I've always believed that my greatest quality as a mod is that I've extremely level-headed and unemotional, the latter referring primarily to how I don't let personal feelings interfere with my judgment. I am also one of the mods who prefer a cautious approach when observing situations. I want context and background info when it comes to things that might be taken out of context.

But I've also typically lingered mostly in TCG or one of a few other threads, so it is fairly unlikely that I'd ever really have a conversation with anyone specific, unless I was approached for one. I'm not a social butterfly, so I'm unlikely to seek out personalized social interactions, even if I'm not completely opposed to having them. This at times works to my benefit, for it makes it less likely that I'll form a favorable bias towards someone I've befriended.

Could I be more social and interact with the community more? Uh...theoretically, but I wouldn't bet on it. I'm perfectly willing to address things brought to my attention, and attempt to do so quickly as a Super Mod, but I'm not the type to actively go around the community, asking people how they're doing and if they have issues or concerns. It would be exhausting for me to do that, as an introvert, and probably accomplish little.

Your demeanor has always been so adorable.

So, a bit off topic, but what made the mods pick up Discord besides it being an alternate third party tool to monitor the community?  And granted it's fast, forcing a third party program (not that it's a bad program, I've used it before) on mods seems kind of random.

After realizing that a lot of our conversations on issues in the actual mod forum weren't advancing quickly (which in turn, led to either stagnation in getting measures passed when they were most needed or getting rash ones [in terms of only 3-4 of us approving them] like the new changes), we suggested using Discord as it was considered more acceptable. 

To be fair, the YCM Discord channel DOES have a mod area of its own, except Soulfire can still read whatever we write in there the way it's set up. In light of that, we made a separate channel elsewhere to talk about mod things that he shouldn't be seeing. Most of us already use it, so we can get each other's attention quicker. 

-----

As for socializing with the rest of you, like with evilfusion, I'm not the type to go around making social interactions with everyone, though I don't mind having a few. A note that I am around outside of Custom Cards and my other two areas (which don't necessarily have any problems I need to deal with). 

Do I need to be more social with you all? Yeah, I should, because some of the complaints I get are that I'm almost emotionless when writing posts and don't talk to you guys on Discord itself (for those of you who missed it, I WAS around for a couple hours actively speaking about stuff.)

Or really, if you need to voice any concerns you have to me, then just do it (but be respectful). I'm not going to bite you for voicing concerns. 

-----

-----

Night and evilfusion do have access to some of the functions, but latter has already stated he doesn't wish to edit anything major, otherwise coding will be ruined. Then again, we'd all like him to fix things related to the cardmaker, including the Imgur thing and obviously Pendulums. 

Otherwise, you know about TCGEditor, right? 

Yeah, I do, but the template here is EASILY the most realistic looking online...

I read the first page and then just lost steam.  First off, DO NOT even think of me as a candidate for a mod, I honestly suck.  I have a severe lack of knowledge of the game mechanics, and am terrible at creating my own cards (though I try my best).  That being said, I don't know why Sakura lost his position.  From my experience, he was fair, patient, and enforced the rules when things got out of hand.  I'm not sure why he lost his position, but if we are looking for candidates, I nominate him (unless he doesn't want it).

I read the first page and then just lost steam.  First off, DO NOT even think of me as a candidate for a mod, I honestly suck.  I have a severe lack of knowledge of the game mechanics, and am terrible at creating my own cards (though I try my best).  That being said, I don't know why Sakura lost his position.  From my experience, he was fair, patient, and enforced the rules when things got out of hand.  I'm not sure why he lost his position, but if we are looking for candidates, I nominate him (unless he doesn't want it).

Um, Sakura is still a mod. Thought I'd share that with you.

Winter only made that comment about that revolt last year as a sign that if you guys voice your opinions as a whole, we'll definitely listen.

As Striker mentioned, I never lost my mod position; only thing that really happened is that Koko got promoted. By now, many of you do know that she was officially resigned to TCG by her request. 

(By the way, I did not appreciate someone making a joke about that incident.)

-----

In any case, Aerion, your name was mentioned a few times in this thread as a potential candidate to deal with General (and Debates by extension). Do you wish to take on this role or not?

Wow, what a suggestion...or coup d'etat. ._.

I'm good with the current mods. A lot of people weren't around when the mod teams were atrocious but yeah, it can get much worse than what it is now, which may well be the best mod team the site's had.

CowCow, Black, and Giga in particular should not be mods because they reek of desperate ambition and could do awful, awful things because of it. I saw it with Hunter. I'm much more for laissez-faire moderation than my peers getting banned and even perma'd left, right, and center, which was very much the norm in the time of Hunter, Icy, Yankee, and Crab Helmet. Previous administrations weren't much better, especially in how the whole Draco Straybyrn shitstorm and its various resurgences were handled. Power abuse is a nightmare. 

So, no, I don't think "changing the mod team" is a good idea and I think those who do should learn their history. I'm certainly glad that the mods *aren't* "working together" in the vein of the mod cliques of the past. The best people for the job will not have a great deal of personal attachments here, positive or negative.

I, for one, would be a *terrible moderator* and never want to be.

I would personally nominate Hi I'm Dad who I don't know particularly well but he had the conviction to leave a certain gossip-laden group on principle, I think the General section would be safest in his hands. Anyone party to the "Jesus" thread (you know who you are) should *definitely* not be a moderator because of the conflict of interests. If you are and you do want to be a mod, you should leave and I will be the first to co-sign you. 

CowCow, Black, and Giga in particular should not be mods because they reek of desperate ambition and could do awful, awful things because of it.

I feel since I was addressed personally I should point out that I've been the first person to say that I wouldn't be good to consider as a mod. Though that was then, idk how I feel about now.

And I have all the ambition of a goldfish. Not sure where you get this impression that I'm ambitious. And not sure how that fits in. As modship isn't a lofty goal it's a position meant to help everyone else out and make things run more than to have power.

Archived