Changing the Mod Team

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah, naming people other than myself for the position: 

[spoiler=Thoughts in the box:]

So there's maybe 5 other somewhat regular posters in debates and general who are suitably active to be beneficial:

Winter

Vi1ane 

mido

Hi I'm Dad

cr47t 

And then breaking it down (I apologise for any insult caused here)

Mido I'd rule out immediately because whilst he fantastic at bringing sources up for discussion, he's s*** at the actual discussion part. I don't think I ever see him get involved in them, just post something based in multiple sources and just leave. Which isn't what I'd consider needed, we want more activity and quality. 

cr47t and Winter have the same fault from different sides in that they are really opinionated, and the mod in the section needs to be objective in my mind - Essentially devil's advocate to generate discussion for the future of discussion. And Winter (Since I know you'll want to comment), whilst you've improved a little, you are still someone I would never class as being really objective in a discussion. But hell there's people who would say that about me, so the hell do I know? 

So Dad and v1lane are the remaining choices and both have ruled themselves out I think, so there isn't really an obvious in section option. 

If we went outside of section, and got a mod from somewhere else who'd be willing to get engaged, there's two people that come to mind:

Dae and Phil. 

Dae would be able to keep the section from spilling out because he wouldn't be afraid of clashing ego's when nessicary (Because the section needs it sometimes), and I think if he did get involved he'd bring intellectualism of a form to the section? Because Dae seems like a perfectionist from what I've made of him, and such would, if he was given an incentive to get involved, make the section better with his presence. But I doubt he wants that specific aspect of the site of be a mod of. 

Phil is for similar reasons - He carries himself incredibly well in the discussions in TCG, makes good concise (Which is also a good thing compared to my ramblings, since I'm f***ing awful at being concise) points when he does get involved. He's liked and respected by the community as well from what I can make And he already has some involved in general, so he gets the environment. He'd be my ideal choice, but there's an issue with his activity like me, for very similar reasons to me (Uni comes first) so it's also probably a no sadly. And some might take issue with a moderator who is frequently drunk on site (But that's also an issue with me so)

That's my thoughts on the most suitable people in my mind. No ones perfect, but it's just my thoughts which hopefully make your process easier. Again I'll state that, If the mods think I am the best candidate for the position, I'll do it despite my reservations. I just want people to be clear that there are immediate issues with it that I can see from just knowing me. 

Oh yeah, naming people other than myself for the position: 

[spoiler=Thoughts in the box:]

So there's maybe 5 other somewhat regular posters in debates and general who are suitably active to be beneficial:

Winter

Vi1ane 

mido

Hi I'm Dad

cr47t 

And then breaking it down (I apologise for any insult caused here)

Mido I'd rule out immediately because whilst he fantastic at bringing sources up for discussion, he's s*** at the actual discussion part. I don't think I ever see him get involved in them, just post something based in multiple sources and just leave. Which isn't what I'd consider needed, we want more activity and quality. 

cr47t and Winter have the same fault from different sides in that they are really opinionated, and the mod in the section needs to be objective in my mind - Essentially devil's advocate to generate discussion for the future of discussion. And Winter (Since I know you'll want to comment), whilst you've improved a little, you are still someone I would never class as being really objective in a discussion. But hell there's people who would say that about me, so the hell do I know? 

So Dad and v1lane are the remaining choices and both have ruled themselves out I think, so there isn't really an obvious in section option. 

If we went outside of section, and got a mod from somewhere else who'd be willing to get engaged, there's two people that come to mind:

Dae and Phil. 

Dae would be able to keep the section from spilling out because he wouldn't be afraid of clashing ego's when nessicary (Because the section needs it sometimes), and I think if he did get involved he'd bring intellectualism of a form to the section? Because Dae seems like a perfectionist from what I've made of him, and such would, if he was given an incentive to get involved, make the section better with his presence. But I doubt he wants that specific aspect of the site of be a mod of. 

Phil is for similar reasons - He carries himself incredibly well in the discussions in TCG, makes good concise (Which is also a good thing compared to my ramblings, since I'm f***ing awful at being concise) points when he does get involved. He's liked and respected by the community as well from what I can make And he already has some involved in general, so he gets the environment. He'd be my ideal choice, but there's an issue with his activity like me, for very similar reasons to me (Uni comes first) so it's also probably a no sadly. And some might take issue with a moderator who is frequently drunk on site (But that's also an issue with me so)

That's my thoughts on the most suitable people in my mind. No ones perfect, but it's just my thoughts which hopefully make your process easier. Again I'll state that, If the mods think I am the best candidate for the position, I'll do it despite my reservations. I just want people to be clear that there are immediate issues with it that I can see from just knowing me.

I'm willing to do the work if YCM will have me. But I'm not trying to be the cause of an even bigger mess if the mods have someone else who is more suited for the job in mind.

As the staff members have reached a consensus on them (being fine choices) and the rest of you are fine with them as well, given comments in this thread, Black and Smear have been promoted to Junior Moderator (which has enough powers to do their necessary duties).

If things go well, evilfusion or Night will promote them to moderator proper after the trial period. 

But yeah, welcome aboard you two. 

Just curious, how long IS the trial period?

I'd just feel awkward making moves to make big changes (rules, events, etc.) as a Junior.

Would it at least be alright to make discussions about what I plan to do?

As the staff members have reached a consensus on them (being fine choices) and the rest of you are fine with them as well, given comments in this thread, Black and Smear have been promoted to Junior Moderator (which has enough powers to do their necessary duties).

If things go well, evilfusion or Night will promote them to moderator proper after the trial period. 

But yeah, welcome aboard you two. 

Congrats to Black and Smear.  Best of luck to you both.

Which still leaves General...is this a matter of waiting for Vla1ne and Brightflame or are we just letting debate rule itself (which honestly hasn't been that that bad TBH)

Anyway good to see Black and Smear

I'm going to take this opportunity to present myself as a candidate for a trial period run at Junior Moderation for General.  With few other candidates expressing any interest (feel free to correct me), I will note interest in becoming part of the mod team, to represent General.  While I don't have the experience in moderating a section on a larger forum like this one, I'm active, I'm willing to do the work, and I'm putting my foot in.  Thanks in advance.

I'd just feel awkward making moves to make big changes (rules, events, etc.) as a Junior.

The trial is one month because it's a comfortable span of time. It wouldn't be much of a trial if you didn't do anything.

Exactly what I was going to say but you beat me to it

We don't got a huge pool of potential candidates here ya know. More options the better.

*hesitantly raises hand* While I admit I'm not much of a good fit for CC (Black already has it covered, so be prepared for my requests), I'd like to throw my hat in for General. Pretty much kept a level head in General/Debates, and both sections at the least need a watchful eye over the section. I mean, the activity generates itself for the most part and the only concern for a mod there is to diffuse any overly heated conflicts (and there are bound to be some overly heated conflicts given the nature of Debates). Am I the perfect candidate? Not really, but there are never any perfect candidates. Everybody (especially me) has somesort of flaw (some more severe than others), though that shouldn't stop someone from becoming a mod. Aside from me, my choices would go to Dad, vla1ne and Barty; though, each of then has some hesitance of their own from what I've gathered. All I can ask is that this decision is made wisely with nothing held against anybody.

Congrats to Black and Smear. Best of luck to you both.

I'm going to take this opportunity to present myself as a candidate for a trial period run at Junior Moderation for General. With few other candidates expressing any interest (feel free to correct me), I will note interest in becoming part of the mod team, to represent General. While I don't have the experience in moderating a section on a larger forum like this one, I'm active, I'm willing to do the work, and I'm putting my foot in. Thanks in advance.

Seconded and 3rd'd by Brightflame already. Think Vla1ne was solidly behind you too (4th'd). And you managed to get Crab and me to agree. So that's something too. At this point it's just up to the mods to affirm the matter

So none of the existing mods are being removed?

Priority was placed on adding to the ranks before considering removals. Especially considering all the community feedback and such, determining who to appoint takes immediate priority, and the community seemed much more interested in recommending possible candidates and feedback on whether X will or won't be a decent mod, as opposed to present mods that need to get booted.

And frankly, purely my own feelings, the only removal I'm immediately inclined to do is Zextra, purely because of how ridiculously hard it is to continue justifying his lack of presence.

A month, purely as a time period we throw out there and forget about.

And frankly, Junior Mod is just a usergroup that exists to limit a new mod's power scope until they get settled in and can be observed to not be an unstable mess who'd obliterate the forum (intentionally or otherwise). It's Damage Control, but more official sounding.

May I go on record against Striker because his suggestions sound exactly like the current mod - I.E.  sit back, do nothing and let the section sort itself out. 

The biggest concern isn't arguments getting out of hand, the concern is growing the section because as an already active section we want to encourage more people to get more readily involved. Part of that in my mind is not letting the section 'generate activity' for itself, but encouraging activity by acting as a devil's advocate of sorts, and posting interesting s*** to discuss. 

Whilst you do the latter of those sometimes, the former is also needed. 

Because frankly there's a lot of times where activity boils down to me and Winter debating a point for a page or two. If either one of us left the section loses most of it's activity. That's what we'd want to change - Get either more members in general, or get topics that more people want to discuss more frequently. Yes, all members here can help with that, but the mod should be the one pushing for it, just as Black has changes he wants to push for in CC, and Dae would in Other TCG's. 

We've established here moderating is more than just damage control, it's about being arguably leaders of the community. Your hesitant putting forth of your name didn't suggest you wanted to do that for the section. 

I know shooting down a candidate is probably the worst thing to do right now, but I felt like I needed to say as such. 

Priority was placed on adding to the ranks before considering removals. Especially considering all the community feedback and such, determining who to appoint takes immediate priority, and the community seemed much more interested in recommending possible candidates and feedback on whether X will or won't be a decent mod, as opposed to present mods that need to get booted.

And frankly, purely my own feelings, the only removal I'm immediately inclined to do is Zextra, purely because of how ridiculously hard it is to continue justifying his lack of presence.

A month, purely as a time period we throw out there and forget about.

And frankly, Junior Mod is just a usergroup that exists to limit a new mod's power scope until they get settled in and can be observed to not be an unstable mess who'd obliterate the forum (intentionally or otherwise). It's Damage Control, but more official sounding.

Ok, and Dad? All the general frequents have thrown their support behind him.

Then there's Dae and his pretty airtight case for Other TCG

May I go on record against Striker because his suggestions sound exactly like the current mod - I.E. sit back, do nothing and let the section sort itself out.

The biggest concern isn't arguments getting out of hand, the concern is growing the section because as an already active section we want to encourage more people to get more readily involved. Part of that in my mind is not letting the section 'generate activity' for itself, but encouraging activity by acting as a devil's advocate of sorts, and posting interesting sheet to discuss.

Whilst you do the latter of those, the former is also needed.

Because frankly there's a lot of times where activity boils down to me and Winter debating a point for a page or two. If either one of us left the section loses most of it's activity. That's what we'd want to change - Get either more members in general, or get topics that more people want to discuss more frequently. Yes, all members here can help with that, but the mod should be the one pushing for it, just as Black has changes he wants to push for in CC, and Dae would in Other TCG's.

We've established here moderating is more than just damage control, it's about being arguably leaders of the community. Your hesitant putting forth of your name didn't suggest you wanted to do that for the section.

I know shooting down a candidate is probably the worst thing to do right now, but I felt like I needed to say as such.

It was more comparing General/Debates to the rest of the forum. Believe it or not, a General/Debates mod can get away with simply dealing with disputes. Is it the beat course of action? As you put it and with me agreeing, no. And you are misinterpreting why I'm hesitantly raising my hand for this. If you recall what happened two years ago the last time I was mod, you'd understand why. I am willing to take the job by the horns, act as the event organizer (a job people know I can do very, very well with the past two YMBs, etc.), bring out debates that aren't typically argued here (the Death with Dignity debate being a prime example), though I don't know whether others agree with me taking the job. Unlike most of the candidates, I do have a cloud over me. I have grown since 2014 and took the comments and suggestions from then to heart as much as I can. All I ask is for the opportunity to prove everyone wrong and be the mod I know (and those who support me know) that I can be.

Ok, and Dad? All the general frequents have thrown their support behind him.

Then there's Dae and his pretty airtight case for Other TCG

At last check, Dad's name was at least up for consideration. Only mild reservations expressed at this time, so definitely not a deal-breaker.

As for Dae...I'd have to find this alleged air-tight case again, but I personally would be overwhelmingly skeptical at the prospect.

Like I said, I have great record for being the Other TCG mod. I don't have a great record for being promoted to mod. I have a horrible track recorded, and I am one of the names mentioned in the last fiasco. This is why I wouldn't get it. Because of my attitude on this forum. I already mentioned this.

I think I would like to alleviate some things.

First. This has already been established, but Frunk banned J-Max, and for a perfectly logical reason. Frunk's demotion after the fact was criminal in hindsight, but a lot of us didn't do research in that regard and assumed. Frunk was just doing his job.

Secondly. Crab was one of the most dictatorial mods in YCM history. The way he lorded over TCG with such Iron-Fisted vigor is almost unmatched by any other mod today. A lot of people dislike Crab's attitude and the way he ran things, but I respected it. When he was mod, the amount of general stupidity and flame wars dropped to record lows. I remember the couple of times he suspended me in the Debates section as a way of teaching me to "grow a set and take criticism, or get the funk out". Had it not been for Crab I would have been a much worse-off user here. Crab didn't hold back on how he felt about situations, and called things out like he saw them. It was tough for those he criticized, but a lot of us were forced to look at ourselves and improve after the fact. There was a benefit to it all that Crab never acknowledged; he was content with being hated as long as he got the job done.

Thirdly. As can be said and HAS been said, the banning of Ragnarok1945 was, and still is, one of the most unfair bans. He didn't deserve that level of punishment, and although the rules were alleviated and changed afterwards, Rag never got a taste of them. He was just banned. It wasn't fair at all, and the circumstances leading up to the ban are sketchy at best. He and Bloodrun were some of the best users here, and both got shady bans for downright unfair reasons.

It's fine if people are going to defend his ban, but don't come to me and say we have not unbanned people who have done much worse. Draco is here, we all know he is here, and if he gets to be here and Rag doesn't; that smells of hypocrisy.

Finally: Black, congratulations. You deserve this, and I predict this tenure is going to be a lot easier than the last one. Here's to hitting the reset button *raises glass*.

Archived