Changing the Mod Team

you know i lean left right (by american standards)? i mean, i do have right wing tendencies now that i think about it, but i'm left for a lot of things. but either way, i have no idea, bright's a clear option, but i don't know too many other people i'd recommend for the other side, raeg doesn't want it, so i can't say i know too many others.

Really? I'd honestly say you're right of me....oh well, atleast we're in agreement about Brightfire, hopefully the mods give him a fair chance

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really? I'd honestly say you're right of me....oh well, atleast we're in agreement about Brightfire, hopefully the mods give him a fair chance

i am right of you on some subjects, mainly guns, and possibly ethics in general, but on others, i do believe i'm to the left. of you. not sure though. either way, i do tend to sit on both sides of the fence, if only to get a good look at things from both angles. i haven't actually looked at everything is support from the right/left perspective for a while, but this isn't exactly the time for that discussion, or for self reflection on the matter. in any case, i'd be interested in being a mod, but i have no intention of doing so right now, even if it were possible.

Well, In my perspective, the Moderating team is formidable and has specialized quality, and mainly objective....

They give advice, comments, suggestions, moves an inappropriate thread, and locks irrelevant ones, they are also quite active and more experienced than most of the members, and active....

Snowman is an exception...

But changing the Moderating team can give a new frontier and experience to the increasing number of enthusiasts, making them feel, learn, and experience how to be a moderator above all, which is a dream to many of us....

So this idea could be interesting if done correctly and with countermeasures...

Can I second what Bree said about the general mod election?

Rai is a fine man and mod, and I even suggested he be a CC mod, though he turned it down... but it is very, very confusing what occurre, and I remember the applicants, Bree included, were very upset over all. It wasn't explained, really, it just seemed like Rai said "I want it" and got it, and all the applicants had to just suck it up.

So transparency in situations like that seems pretty vital.

Rai isn't nearly involved enough w/ the Debate section or even the general section to full understand the situation there. He's a fair mod, and great person from my interactions with him, but having somone like brightfire or vla1ne who know the section better in addition would be nice. I'm not trying to oust rai as much as being in somone additional

Rai can actually separate himself from a topic at hand and be objective. Nothing against your suggestions, Winter, they are both wonderful contributors to the section, but giving them modship of the section would artificially tip power in a discussion toward their side due to their shared nature as heavily opinionated.

Rai can actually separate himself from a topic at hand and be objective. Nothing against your suggestions, Winter, they are both wonderful contributors to the section, but giving them modship of the section would artificially tip power in a discussion toward their side due to their shared nature as heavily opinionated.

I mean Vla1ne ruled himself out currently, so we might as well talk about Brightfire.

Tom was pretty strong on the gun-control side of the argument, yet he conceded when points were made against his stance. I'm not sure that just because he's a mod that people won't disagree with him and radically tip power in his favor. It really doesn't seem to matter who you are, if you make poor points you get hammered in debates. 

What I'm trying to say is, while opinionated, Tom has shown time and time again that he can also distance himself from the argument at hand. I personally feel he can be objective enough not to negatively impact the section...and there would be a trial period much like what Treb had right? If it doesn't pan out no harm no foul

We are currently in the process of outlining people who we think would be suitable for positions in the moderator team.

I also wanted to take this time to ask for people to raise concerns that they may have about members of the mod team, mainly regarding activity but other things are acceptable provided that they are suitable reasons for such, so that we know who we should be evaluating in terms of their position on the team.

Phantom Roxas: I know he's a good person and has been a good mod in the past but also really inactive overall

Roxas, who might need to be taken off the list because, no offense, seems extra. I could be wrong and I would love to hear what he says about his activity but it just feels wrong to keep a mod just because. It makes things out of proportion. "Oh we have this many mods we should be good"

I'd suggest removing Roxas and Zextra unless they can back up what they do as a mod.

No offense taken. Although I wouldn't put much stock in Winter's personal criticisms against me, I'm aware that my activity is sporadic at best, which has been something I've hoped to change, but it's hardly reached a level I'm comfortable with.

I'm going to say something questionable and I'd like everyone to hear me out.

General is the section we want modded the most and the least.  Because of "touchy" topics and "questionable" material, it's a love/hate section.  So clearly, you'd like to put a mod in place that frequents that section and knows it's ups and downs.  You need someone who likes the section enough to be active there, but dislikes it enough to be stern when something stupid or intolerable happens.  You need someone who can put their foot down in the right place, without leaving their heels on the wrong persons.  

But that requires both unbiased judgement and centrist views (because General consists of the Debates section now).  That means your moderator needs to be well equipped to handle extremes from both ends of the spectrum, as well as mediate with reason and not emotion.  But that means you also need someone who knows where their own views lie (be it left or right) but is willing to compromise for the sake of the section and/or keeping it from falling apart.

That leaves me with two names:

Winter and Roxas.  Polar opposites.

Winter represents what YCM dislikes but needs:

• Controversy - the central point of General which generates discussion and keeps it active
  • Balance - you have enough mods representing the left end of the spectrum but who aren't willing to get dirty or aggressive unless it's too late and things blow up.  Change that.
  • Transparency - the mod team is secretive.  Often too secretive.  As much as I butt heads with Winter, I know him as well as I know Pat.  The rest of the mod team I can't really speak for.

Roxas represents what moves YCM, but what makes it sluggish:

• Patience - It takes Roxas some time to blow up.  I've rarely seen it (until the incident with Winter), and minus the backlash Pat has done a solid job of moving between each sub-forum and making moves without causing total chaos.
  • Control - exactly what General is lacking.  Someone who has good self-control and doesn't spout off too much without reason.
  • Experience - He's been doing this for some time.  While General desperately needs change, approaching it with new blood is a sketchy idea.  You stick someone too fresh in General, and they'll get run over.  Real quick.

Honorable mentions that will also get me threatening PMS:

• Thar
  • Dae
  • Mido

You didn't misread this.  Bring downvotes back so you can bury this post.  Flame me, whatever.  I'll stand by my words.

I'm going to say something questionable and I'd like everyone to hear me out.

General is the section we want modded the most and the least. Because of "touchy" topics and "questionable" material, it's a love/hate section. So clearly, you'd like to put a mod in place that frequents that section and knows it's ups and downs. You need someone who likes the section enough to be active there, but dislikes it enough to be stern when something stupid or intolerable happens. You need someone who can put their foot down in the right place, without leaving their heels on the wrong persons.

But that requires both unbiased judgement and centrist views (because General consists of the Debates section now). That means your moderator needs to be well equipped to handle extremes from both ends of the spectrum, as well as mediate with reason and not emotion. But that means you also need someone who knows where their own views lie (be it left or right) but is willing to compromise for the sake of the section and/or keeping it from falling apart.

That leaves me with two names:

Winter and Roxas. Polar opposites.

Winter represents what YCM dislikes but needs:

• Controversy - the central point of General which generates discussion and keeps it active
  • Balance - you have enough mods representing the left end of the spectrum but who aren't willing to get dirty or aggressive unless it's too late and things blow up. Change that.
  • Transparency - the mod team is secretive. Often too secretive. As much as I butt heads with Winter, I know him as well as I know Pat. The rest of the mod team I can't really speak for.
Roxas represents what moves YCM, but what makes it sluggish:

• Patience - It takes Roxas some time to blow up. I've rarely seen it (until the incident with Winter), and minus the backlash Pat has done a solid job of moving between each sub-forum and making moves without causing total chaos.
  • Control - exactly what General is lacking. Someone who has good self-control and doesn't spout off too much without reason.
  • Experience - He's been doing this for some time. While General desperately needs change, approaching it with new blood is a sketchy idea. You stick someone too fresh in General, and they'll get run over. Real quick.
Honorable mentions that will also get me threatening PMS:

• Thar
  • Dae
  • Mido
You didn't misread this. Bring downvotes back so you can bury this post. Flame me, whatever. I'll stand by my words.
May I inquire what put me ahead of Mido? Cause if you want somone a little right leaning but willing to match those criteria he seems fit for the job.

I'm running away from this, because the mods have even admitted that the punishment bumps were designed to sheet on me and Dae specifically. I hardly think that they'd want or be willing to accept me on the mod team. I'm confident that the two people who best fit your discription for debates are Brightflame and Vla1ne/Mido rather than me.

My relationship with Roxas is already rocky, would it really be best for general if I'm paired with him? I feel like I'm the Nigel Farage of General. Y'all hate me, and I, more than wanting the PM spot, wanted the section to thrive and prosper. Mido not being very active could be an argument I guess, but for starters I stand behind Brightflame on this. Vla1ne is a little newer than flame, and he's a bit busy with life now, but he has said he would be interested in the future. Two people with seemingly good history, yet polar opposites might be a better panacea (or however you spell it) for a section that's had so much hurt and turmoil recently

I'm genuinly not sure if Roxas and me disagreeing would be good for the section, that being said

No offense taken. Although I wouldn't put much stock in Winter's personal criticisms against me, I'm aware that my activity is sporadic at best, which has been something I've hoped to change, but it's hardly reached a level I'm comfortable with.

Less you mate, granted I'm not feeling all fuzzy and warm about you, and more the Perma warning point idea being toxic. Maybe you didn't target me. I think you did, you clearly don't. It's in the past. I'm perfectly happy to bury the hatchet if you are. My concern was more with the powers than you

May I inquire what put me ahead of Mido? Cause if you want somone a little light leaning but willing to match those criteria he seems fit for the job.

I'm running away from this, because the mods have even admitted that the punishment bumps were designed to sheet on me and Dae specifically. I hardly think that they'd want or be willing to accept me on the mod team. I'm confident that the two people who best fit your discription for debates are Brightflame and Vla1ne/Mido rather than me.

My relationship with Roxas is already rocky, would it really be best for general if I'm paired with him? I feel like I'm the Nigel Farage of General. Y'all hate me, and I, more than wanting the PM spot, wanted the section to thrive and prosper. Mido not being very active could be an argument I guess, but for starters I stand behind Brightflame on this.

I'm genuinly not sure if Roxas and me disagreeing would be good for the section, that being said

Less you mate, granted I'm not feeling all fuzzy and warm about you, and more the Perma warning point idea being toxic. Maybe you didn't target me. I think you did, you clearly don't. It's in the past. I'm perfectly happy to bury the hatchet if you are. My concern was more with the powers than you

The bolded reasons are precisely the reason you would fit in General.  You would be General's Crab Helmet.  If anything, it would mold you.  Not the other way around.

Regarding my italicized point, it's not like you two were boiling over.  It happened.  It was messy.  But that sheet's over with and tbh, you barely bring it up outside of discussions specifically regarding mods.  Far as I'm concerned it's not as much of a factor as people make it to be.

I have a funk ton to say that extends past this, but idk how to say it just yet.

On topic points though for now:

• I'm not content with the way staff is at the moment, I've never been in the past 4 years. One thing that needs to be really funking understood is that it will never be perfect, mods will never be perfect, and our attendance will never be perfect. 
  • Understand that nothing decided today, and no one promoted tomorrow or next week or next month or next year will ever be perfect. We're all people in this community first and foremost, mods, super mods, average members and new members. It's a group effort and our failures and successes depend solely upon our ability to operate together, all of us.
  • Calling for staff reformation ever other month in a group onslaught is more harmful than helpful.
  • One thing I'd like to establish to deter sheet like this from happening is putting together a coalition of sorts, trusted members and community mods working together at all times to weed out issues before they escalate.
  • Perhaps promoting a member solely to manage the "bridge" between members and mods, like a diplomat figure.
  • The concept of moderators promoted solely to manage sections is archaic and moronic when you factor in the fact that moderating has become pseudo-administrating, we don't need that sheet anymore. Promoting moderators for more out-of-the box roles, like the diplomat and perhaps even an event-coordinator have always been ideas that I've wanted to implement, it seems like the right time to put forth said plans. 
  • Re-arranging the team to legitimately have secondary or primary roles within the collective. For example I've always been poised as the figurative leader, Sakura has been the report collector, LZ (rip, gone but never forgotten, you'll always be my boy) the neutral voice of reason, etc. Even back in the day we had Rinne as the coder, and as a regular mod I was the designer. 
  • Basically my point being, I don't give a funk about just what a member can do to moderate a section, what else can you do. 
  • I have mods for General floating in my head, still thinking on it. But you can bet your ass if you're promoted, you're doing more than just collecting reports and browsing general.
  • I have reservations with Black being a mod. I think he's one of the best mods we've ever had, and personally he's one of the only friends outside of Showcase that I've come to have on this site. There are 4 mods I've come to know that I admire greatly, but would always be wary of when it comes to giving them power. Pika, Frunk, Mikhail and Black. Pika was a good leader, a legitimate example that sometimes you ignore everything else and just funking lead. Clearly that didn't work out too well, but a leader nonetheless. Frunk suffered from much of the same, but he did a lot for this site, so much sheet can be attributed to him. Mikhail was just dope, everyone hated the funk, but as an individual he was legitimately remarkable in many aspects. 
  • Black, like all the others is a leader, not a subordinate. All of them burned out because leaders cannot be corralled or controlled. Good luck stripping them of power and expecting good results. And that's what happened. Not just the sheet with Pika but even after. Black, you harbored many negative emotions toward staff for a very long time, and there were many times that it translated into unneeded issues for the site. I just want that to be acknowledged.
  • Though still all of that sheet is irrelevant now, I genuinely don't think you're the exact same person. And I really want to work with you instead of being forced to work around you. I've seen growth from you, and even though you probably feel some resentment toward me for noting that other sheet, just know that it's not with ill-intent and I'm genuine in my belief in you. And I hope that you agree and are willing to be on the team again to benefit the forum.
  • I want to promote Black for CC. 

Perhaps promoting a member solely to manage the "bridge" between members and mods, like a diplomat figure.

This is a very interesting concept. What exactly would their duties imply? Would they be the one who makes announcements? Or would they work almost like customer service, funneling all responses through the same person so as to preventing visible conflict among the team (which has been an issue so, so many times)?

In any case, I think this is a really good idea to help patch some of the issues that have come up with our current moderation system. I remember having issues where I would ask you, Nai, and Sakura the same question, and end up with three different answers, so anything to streamline member-moderator communication would be a step in the right direction.

Also, in respect to Black for CC modship: one person can't make the section work. This isn't me saying that we need a larger team in there... more just pointing out that this "golden age of cc" often referenced wasn't solely a result of the moderation of the time, and bringing Black onboard won't make everything amazing. That said, when looking at it in a realistic sense, he is the most qualified for the job, simply because he is very familiar with design concepts, knows the game well, and, most importantly in my eyes, is actually quite active in the section. So, even though my vote isn't really important (especially since I don't even do CC anymore) I fully support Black being reappointed to the position.

• One thing I'd like to establish to deter s*** like this from happening is putting together a coalition of sorts, trusted members and community mods working together at all times to weed out issues before they escalate.
  • Perhaps promoting a member solely to manage the "bridge" between members and mods, like a diplomat figure

These are two things I've always heavily agreed with, and been advocating for. There desperately needs to be a moderator or two who are on good terms with the majority of the community, or rarely gets into s*** with it.

The bridge between members and mods has always been rocky. Ever since I joined at least, I can't think of a time that the relationship was ever completely solid. There was a time that it was more solid though, Opal. Opal was loved by the members whenever she was around, I can't think of anything that was ever really said about her. I can't remember anyone really getting into fights with her, and she always seemed really, really approachable to me.

This... Might be conceited, but if this is something that's agreed on being done, I would like to throw my hat into that nomination process. I don't have one section on YCM I interact with, unless you count Misc in that. I interact with different people though. I talked to people through Skype, through Discord even though I'm taking a break from that because of stress...

And I do want to make a difference for this site. I hate seeing the tensions between members and mods all the time, and if I can, I really do want to help this. I'm not a great leader, I'm not someone who can create a revolution. But I like to think that I'm good at communicating with people. And I like to think that I'm not hated around the community.

Gonna be some Beef Rantings a bit, based on what I've seen of the mod team. If you don't like what I'm saying you're free to ignore me. I'm not going to like, directly insult anyone or flame; but I do have some issues with how "modship" is handled on this site.

First and foremost, it doesn't seem like anyone on the mod team is actually willing to get anything done beyond the technical crap that usually Sakura handles (quite well I should say, though). The perfect example I can think of is an experience I had on Discord involving me getting some sheet from another member. It took a while to actually get some mod action done, in the meantime mods not being sure if they even should do anything in case it's the wrong decision or w/e. Finally he got banned, but then when he came back because he forgot his password and had to make a new account, he wasn't re-banned because idek.

I'm not saying that rules should apply to Discord or anything of that like; but this is more or less how I've seen the mods operate on this site as a whole: Indecisive and overly cautious. There are rules, and if someone breaks the big ones and warrants a ban, ban them and leave them banned. I mean, there's a whole thing about how "permaban" isn't even a thing on this site because people just get let back in despite being banned for perfectly legitimate reasons. There's a lot of wishy-washing on decisions, and some take longer than they should, if they're made at all. I understand that longer bans and permabans are larger decisions; but for smaller instances there are smaller punishments, and it definitely feels like the mod team needs to be more confident in its decision-making and own up to the decisions they make. Part of this leads to my second major gripe.

Honestly, we shouldn't need a PR rep for the mod team. At the least, people like Gadj are able to actually interact with other members from time-to-time. Talk to people, be transparent, cut it out with all the bullshit circle-jerking that happens behind the curtains half the time. What's going to make the decisions easier to make is if the mod team actually knows and interacts with the community they're supposed to be "taking care of" so to speak (idk how to describe the duties).

I mean like, honestly, I barely know most of the mod team. Sometimes talk with Gadj; but as far as I know Night is just the dude who appears rarely; frick if I've ever actually had any kind of conversation with fusion; and Sakura isn't exactly the most sociable individual online. The mod team doesn't need a PR individual; they need to just plain interact with the community more often. When I think of "YCM's mod team", "Glorified Janitors" comes to mind before "Involved Community Member". If I was more of a new member, sure I would acknowledge my own need to interact with the community more; but I've been involved for over a year, and I've still barely interacted with any of these individuals. Lift the curtain and actually interact with us more; stop hiding behind it.

• Re-arranging the team to legitimately have secondary or primary roles within the collective. For example I've always been poised as the figurative leader, Sakura has been the report collector, LZ (rip, gone but never forgotten, you'll always be my boy) the neutral voice of reason, etc. Even back in the day we had Rinne as the coder, and as a regular mod I was the designer. 

Always around and available if you ever need your code monkey back. ;)

Archived