Deadly-Go-Around

Rayfield Lumina

Deadly-Go-Around.jpg.9cdf27c6bc2e0bcd3c2ecca8b0f51d9a.jpg

Deadly-Go-Around

DARK / Level 1

Fiend / Effect

Must be Normal/Special Summoned to your leftmost zone. There can only be 1 "Deadly-Go-Around" in the field. Cannot be Tributed, used as material, have its effects negated, be destroyed, change control by other card effects or change Battle Position. Unaffected by other card effects that would move this card to another zone. Damage from battles involving this card becomes 0. If this card is the only monster you control, your opponent can attack you directly. Once per turn, except the turn this card is Summoned: Move this card to a zone adjacent to it on the right. (if there's already a monster in that zone, swap places with it). During the next turn this card is in your right-most Main Monster Zone: Switch control of this card within the same column. If this card has moved to the right-most zone in the owner of this card's opponent's field, the owner of this card wins the Duel.

ATK 0 / DEF 0

*** Slowly and steadily, certain death approaches you.

So, I find this creepy card really fun. I let it have quite a bit of weaknesses, such as being returned to the hand, being banished or shuffled into the Deck. But I actually smile with the idea of how fun it would have been using this card in the old times when the game was waaaay slower and there weren't so many things that could get rid of it (Compulsory comes to mind). I can imagine the players getting all worked up, shouting: FUUUU that s*hit is coming for meee! I need to draw that Compulsory, heart of the cards, come!!.... FUUUU, not Celtic Guardian!

The last part of the card grammar might sound weird. Opponent of this card's owner? But yeah, I made it so since the "You" and the "Opponent" is reversed when this card reaches the opponent's field. With this grammar (I think) everything works normally, but it avoids a never-ending loop in the card's movement and specifies who wins the Duel.

Critique and Comment is welcome ^_^

First of all, I am gonna try to fix the wording of this card, since there are some effect that makes the card didn't function as it should be.

Must be Normal Summoned on your Leftmost Main Monster Zone. You can only control 1 "Deadly-Go-Round". Cannot be tributed or be destroyed by battle or card effect, used as a material for an Extra Deck Summon, change it's Battle Position, and switch control of this card other than by it's own effect. You take no battle damage involving this card. If this card is the only monster you control: your opponent can attack you directly. During your Standby Phase, except the turn this card is Summoned: Move this card to the zone adjacent to it's right (if there's already a monster in that zone, swap places with it). During the End Phase, if this card is in your right-most Main Monster Zone: switch control of this card to the Main Monster Zone in front of it and place a Doom Counter on it. If this card's control switches by it's own effect while it has a Doom Counter on it: you win the Duel.

OK, for the card itself, I don't like the design of this card. Maybe because I don't like alternate win condition that doesn't require you to build an entire deck around it.

You can only control 1 "Deadly-Go-Around". Cannot be Tributed, used as material, have its effects negated, be destroyed, change control by other card effects"," or change Battle Position.

For some reason the first part bothered me finally figured out why.

Also, if you are moving it to a zone adjacent to the cards right then it would move 2 spaces right. I don't know how to fix even though i know what you are implying.

OMG this card is amazing. You can even incorporate effects such as "When this card switches positions with deadly-go-around *insert effect here* eg. Banish one random card from your opponents hand or "   

Its fine as it is

Is not over-powered and require atleast 10 turn to fully resolved, so unless you build around your deck to grind games until then you probably lose to the speedy meta we have. But then again its not making it bad either

The only thing I think you need to add is a restriction on Special Summoning it.  I know the card says "Must be Normal Summoned to your Leftmost MMZ", but I'm pretty sure that that condition does not exclude Special Summoning (I'm sure Konami would use that wording for Spirit monsters in that case).

Also, I think @ITSUKOSOADO has a point.  The way it's worded implies moving it 2 spaces instead of 1.  Was that the intention?  If not, you can probably flip the wording around... "move this card to a zone adjacent to it on the right." ...or something. Yeah, this card's wording seems pretty difficult to fix. XD

All that said, I do like this from a flavor standpoint.  It's a more searchable, splashable version of Final Countdown, but it's also more fair since you can actually get rid of the card and you can't really use it alongside Mystic Mine.  As a casual strategy, you can drop it in a deck that doesn't Normal Summon as a card to steal your opponent's focus, but on the whole, it's just another gimmicky win condition.

58 minutes ago, Horu Ishayuki said:

I somehow feel this deserves an archetype that only the most evil of YGO villians (Normal Bakura) would use.

I'll take that as a compliment xD

24 minutes ago, Haumea said:

First of all, I am gonna try to fix the wording of this card, since there are some effect that makes the card didn't function as it should be.

Must be Normal Summoned on your Leftmost Main Monster Zone. You can only control 1 "Deadly-Go-Round". Cannot be tributed or be destroyed by battle or card effect, used as a material for an Extra Deck Summon, change it's Battle Position, and switch control of this card other than by it's own effect. You take no battle damage involving this card. If this card is the only monster you control: your opponent can attack you directly. During your Standby Phase, except the turn this card is Summoned: Move this card to the zone adjacent to it's right (if there's already a monster in that zone, swap places with it). During the End Phase, if this card is in your right-most Main Monster Zone: switch control of this card to the Main Monster Zone in front of it and place a Doom Counter on it. If this card's control switches by it's own effect while it has a Doom Counter on it: you win the Duel.

OK, for the card itself, I don't like the design of this card. Maybe because I don't like alternate win condition that doesn't require you to build an entire deck around it.

Alright. Let's see, little by little. First, you're right in placing the Summoning method first, I think it normally appears as such in texts, so thanks for pointing that out. Next, I'm 100% aware that Konami uses "destroyed by battle or card effect", and that saying destroyed is not common (if used at all) and doesn't include, say, destruction by game mechanics. I don't care: it was worded like that in purpose to include all types of destruction, to save space and because I sincerely don't think it's wrong, it's simply a method to include everything without being redundant... an abbreviated term ahead of it's time, lol. Next... ummm, when you begin to say Cannot be X, you're implicitly saying "this card", so there's no need to say "and switch control of this card other than by it's own effect" Admittedly, the correct term is switch, not change, so point for you. The overall structure of that part look good, but mine work too, if you allow me... I definitely need a reference there. Next, you're wrong. There is absolutely no need to say "for an Extra Deck Summon". You can find variations: cannot be used as a Synchro material (like Tour Guide), Xyz Material, etc, but recent cards won't mention the Extra Deck at all. Next: dude, this part is interesting, and would let me avoid the funny card grammar of the last part. I don't think I need to change the mandatory Main Phase effect to the Standby Phase, though. The problem truly comes at the end. Like I said in the first post, it becomes troublesome how this card changes control as the roles of you and your opponent swap. The way you worded the end, I'm pretty much is not right or it's pretty debatable. "If this card's control switches by it's own effect while it has a Doom Counter on it: you win the Duel. You win? Who's you? Who wins the Duel? Because it switches control from your opponent to you, while "you" is the opponent, so they win. Or... (read this carefully), since the card changed control but the new "you" you're implying here is the original owner, but when you begin to be the owner again the card haven't switched control yet, since that change happened before you regained control... it's extremely confusing, but you get it, right? You know how people is... it requires to be clearer... and my method might be unorthodox, but I believe it's clearer and it works. But man, you made me think a lot, and it's actually been helpful and fun, so thanks for the pointers.

1 hour ago, ITSUKOSOADO said:

You can only control 1 "Deadly-Go-Around". Cannot be Tributed, used as material, have its effects negated, be destroyed, change control by other card effects"," or change Battle Position.

For some reason the first part bothered me finally figured out why.

Also, if you are moving it to a zone adjacent to the cards right then it would move 2 spaces right. I don't know how to fix even though i know what you are implying.

OMG this card is amazing. You can even incorporate effects such as "When this card switches positions with deadly-go-around *insert effect here* eg. Banish one random card from your opponents hand or "   

Nahh, don't worry. Where it says "to a zone adjacent to the right" means only the zone in it's right. The difference for two spaces would be if it said "move it to the adjacent zone of the zone to the right of this card" Lol, another confusing wording, huh? But yeah, I believe the original is correct, thanks for the concern, though, and that's for saying it's amazing 🙂 

23 minutes ago, Dr. Jolly Glot the III said:

Its fine as it is

Is not over-powered and require atleast 10 turn to fully resolved, so unless you build around your deck to grind games until then you probably lose to the speedy meta we have. But then again its not making it bad either

Exactly right, I don't think it would live in the current meta, either because Duels are simply short or because too many turns mean too many chances for the opponent for somehow get rid of it. But definitely, it would be fun in certain formats.

30 minutes ago, Tythe Scora said:

The only thing I think you need to add is a restriction on Special Summoning it.  I know the card says "Must be Normal Summoned to your Leftmost MMZ", but I'm pretty sure that that condition does not exclude Special Summoning (I'm sure Konami would use that wording for Spirit monsters in that case).

Also, I think @ITSUKOSOADO has a point.  The way it's worded implies moving it 2 spaces instead of 1.  Was that the intention?  If not, you can probably flip the wording around... "move this card to a zone adjacent to it on the right." ...or something. Yeah, this card's wording seems pretty difficult to fix. XD

All that said, I do like this from a flavor standpoint.  It's a more searchable, splashable version of Final Countdown, but it's also more fair since you can actually get rid of the card and you can't really use it alongside Mystic Mine.  As a casual strategy, you can drop it in a deck that doesn't Normal Summon as a card to steal your opponent's focus, but on the whole, it's just another gimmicky win condition.

Oops, sorry for double posting, but I got this last comment while writing the previous reply. And to my surprise, what I thought was a mistake in part of @ITSUKOSOADO was actually right, hehe! Well, I'm still not 100% sure, lol, but Tythe's fixing sound pretty accurate, so I'll give point to Itsu and Tythe, thanks!

Also it's good that you mention the Normal vs Special Summon thing. I DID omit mentioning the Special because I thought it did exactly that, exclude the Special Summon. But now that I think about it, there are monsters that say: Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned... Anywho, between Haumea, Itsu and Tythe I have a lot of corrections to make, so again thanks guys.

I'm glad this card is kinda realistic, I felt while making it it was pretty wild

4 hours ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

Oops, sorry for double posting, but I got this last comment while writing the previous reply. And to my surprise, what I thought was a mistake in part of @ITSUKOSOADO was actually right, hehe! Well, I'm still not 100% sure, lol, but Tythe's fixing sound pretty accurate, so I'll give point to Itsu and Tythe, thanks!

Also it's good that you mention the Normal vs Special Summon thing. I DID omit mentioning the Special because I thought it did exactly that, exclude the Special Summon. But now that I think about it, there are monsters that say: Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned... Anywho, between Haumea, Itsu and Tythe I have a lot of corrections to make, so again thanks guys.

I'm glad this card is kinda realistic, I felt while making it it was pretty wild

Sadly, the win condition on this card is still more realistic in classic YGO than Exodia is.

4 hours ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

The problem truly comes at the end. Like I said in the first post, it becomes troublesome how this card changes control as the roles of you and your opponent swap. The way you worded the end, I'm pretty much is not right or it's pretty debatable. "If this card's control switches by it's own effect while it has a Doom Counter on it: you win the Duel. You win? Who's you? Who wins the Duel? Because it switches control from your opponent to you, while "you" is the opponent, so they win. Or... (read this carefully), since the card changed control but the new "you" you're implying here is the original owner, but when you begin to be the owner again the card haven't switched control yet, since that change happened before you regained control... it's extremely confusing, but you get it, right? You know how people is... it requires to be clearer... and my method might be unorthodox, but I believe it's clearer and it works. But man, you made me think a lot, and it's actually been helpful and fun, so thanks for the pointers.

The term owner in Yugioh refers to the person who put the card in the deck and is used for cards like this. The cards in your deck are yours you own them their is no card effect in Yugioh to trade ownership.  The term controller is used for the person who has the card on their side of the field. If the card is not on the field no one controls it. 

One interesting problem, If exchange is used and an opponent summons a monster that is in both your decks you use owner's seal and nothing happens because you have been tricked into thinking a card your opponent owns was a card you owned.

Image result for owner's seal yugioh

1 minute ago, Horu Ishayuki said:

Sadly, the win condition on this card is still more realistic in classic YGO than Exodia is.

You think? I believe there was one time when Exodia Decks were tier 1. I don't really know if such a deck has a core card banned, but I guess the deck is still there, ready to kick some ass.

2 minutes ago, ITSUKOSOADO said:

The term owner in Yugioh refers to the person who put the card in the deck and is used for cards like this. The cards in your deck are yours you own them their is no card effect in Yugioh to trade ownership.  The term controller is used for the person who has the card on their side of the field. If the card is not on the field no one controls it. 

One interesting problem, If exchange is used and an opponent summons a monster that is in both your decks you use owner's seal and nothing happens because you have been tricked into thinking a card your opponent owns was a card you owned.

That's quite right, my friend, hence why I used the term "the opponent of this card's owner". Since the ownership never changes, you can be sure that player A (the owner) will win the Duel when the card reaches the rightmost zone of player B, the opponent, even if roles are reserved from the card's perspective when it changes control. Pretty funny business xD. There's also possession, which refers to any card that is in your Deck, hand, fiend, GY and banished. Possession can change as well, but not ownership 🙂 

1 hour ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

Errr... I see them, yeah, but what do you want to tell me with this? They move cards around, ok, but the main discussion of the card is the terms of Ownership and control. Am I not seeing something? >_<

This is pretty much the reason I don't like the design of the card. There is a lot of research required to ensure the card cannot be abused unintentionally like in this case, there are some cards that can move the card into other Monster Zone, essentially making this card a potential FTK.

26 minutes ago, Haumea said:

This is pretty much the reason I don't like the design of the card. There is a lot of research required to ensure the card cannot be abused unintentionally like in this case, there are some cards that can move the card into other Monster Zone, essentially making this card a potential FTK.

but i would argue that we don't have much card that move zone that actually that good as build-around and probably never will since the only cards in the game that actually care about movement and placement is Links and they still effortlessly faster than any of such cards. and even then as i said before, players must do this while also have to interact with opponent. so trying to accelerate this effect that require at least 10 step for what ideally a 10 turn win will require absurd amount of cards that must do 3 things simultaneously, protecting yourself, protecting activation of the "accelerator" card (that has to be good in the first place). and the accelerator cards itself

that being said however, i do understand your concern and by the time you replying im actually wary of possibility of short-cutting the win con with control change effect since the win con don't really require the intended 10 step. it just need to reach the opponent's right-most zone using it own effect so you can possible set up your opponent with the likes of Duston while let the 2nd zone before the touchdown zone empty for control-switch effect. but then i also realize this is an absurd effort in itself

Cards that change control should not matter though, right?  The card already prevents itself from changing control via means other than its own effect, so you can't cheese it by giving control of it to your opponent/taking back control early.

Zone change strats are a legitimate cheese strategy, but yeah, I do agree with Jolly, doing it is extremely inconsistent.  Of course, Ray could just add a clause that prevents it from moving except by its own card effect if we really think that would be too big a problem.

Ok just finished reading the card carefully with the commentary of the OP.... I have a couple questions actually.

So it needs to have "cannot be Special Summoned" if that was the intention, although I actually think being able to isn't too bad. Be it with Kinka Byo or with One for One, I find the idea of consistently putting it on the field like that pretty good. So I'd just go for "Must be Normal/Special Summoned/Set to your leftmost Monster Zone" and include it personally xD
That wording suggestion at the same time tries to prevent the issue of "Book of Moon on it, you can't Flip Summon it at the Zone it's at". And if it was made like that, Flip Summoning it would still be "the turn it is Summoned" so it'd halt its movement for a turn (felt like clarifying this interaction, even if you end up not going for this suggestion).

Also, the Zone-moving effects posted above, I kind of want to allow it because those examples only would speed it up 5 turns (and 5 turns is still a slow amount to wait), but if that were to be allowed, that'd mean we'd have to allow "Staring Contest" to affect it, so it COULD be a 1 or 2 turn ordeal and that doesn't sound very good anymore....  My suggestion there would be to add: "Unaffected by other effects that'd move it to another Zone". Another "Monster Zone if you want it affected by effects that'd turn it into an equip like Relinquished's.

In return, if the text is too hard to read, you can always take off the "cannot change battle position" part. If it doesn't cause battle damage and isn't destroyed by battle, what's the difference here?

Question: What happens if it switches sides but there's a monster in the opponent's side? Do you switch it over to your side like you've been doing every time it swaps with something anywhere else? It'd be hilarious if it did tbh xD
And an alternative way to write that part of the effect would be "switch control of this card within the same column". It's not exactly fully official wording but it's basically what it does and if people have to take a moment to grasp it and make sure it is in fact switching over to the opponent's. I mean, it is fine as is in your card but just providing another possibility to its wording.

I very much agree with an above comment saying this card could have a play-style built around it swapping them around or being in the same column as it or even Links pointing at it and stuff like that. It'd be fun and even if made good, it'd still be a casual build because this takes twice as long as Destiny Board to fulfill xD

All in all. Love the idea. It has a lot of the spirit of the old school game. 
Finally, I come from your Alpaca card so the first thing I wanted to comment on:
This is not Kawaii xD

@Sleepy You have a point here, at first I didn't want the S. Summon, but it's pretty obvious that if it has the same clause it really doesn't matter and let's this card have more presence. I was stupidly blind to see what Itsu meant with the cards he posted, lol, it was pretty obvious. The moment I realized by the previous comments I had the exact same solution you came up with (and Tythe mentioned too): disabling the card's movement with other effects. Tbh, I'd rather prevent the effect altogether as that'd save a lot of trouble. The reason for it to prevent the change of Battle Position is precisely the Book of Moon and similar effects from affecting it. Face-down defense position is also changing B P right?

To answer to your question: Yep, it totally does that, if the opponent is dumb enough to place 1 monster in their leftmost zone, this card will swap places with it. Not that it was on purpose, but this card has one nice disruptive potential when it reaches the opponent's field, specially for Link based decks or stuff that work in columns, like the Weather. Your grammar suggestion sounds nice, I'll take it. Actually, there's tons of stuff to adjust, and I'll begin to do it right way. Oh, and no... this is not exactly kawaii xD

So, again, @Horu Ishayuki@ITSUKOSOADO, @Haumea, @Tythe Scora, @Dr. Jolly Glot the III and @Sleepythanks for the help, (even if you didn't like the card, Haumea) , I'm pretty damn happy because it had a lot of replies and created a nice discussion here 🙂

There's also one thing I'll be changing in the card grammar that you guys didn't mention but I believe it's a good measure: I'll change it so it says "There can only be 1 "Deadly-Go-Around" in the field" instead of "You can only control 1 "Deadly-Go-Around". Reason is, when it changes to the opponent's side of the field, you don't control it anymore, so, you could Summon another one of these things and begin another cycle in case the one which has reached further gets screwed; it goes against the idea of a single demon approaching you slowly to jump at your neck to strangle you when it reaches the opponent's rightmost zone xD.

My last 2 cent.

1) even more streamline effect:

Cannot be Summoned (cannot be Set) except on your Left-Most Main Monster Zone. There can only 1 "Deadly-go-Around" on the field. This card is unaffected by other card effect also cannot be use as tribute or material to summon a monster. Cannot be targeted for attack and cannot prevent direct attack. During your Standby Phase: you either move this card to adjacent right zone OR when this card on your right-most main monster zone, give control of this card to your opponent by moving this card to the zone in the same column as this card .(if there a monster on either of those zone, switch place and/or control with this card) If this card face-up on the right-most zone of the opponent's of its owner, its owner win the Duel

This is actually does the same thing if not with added insurance of full immunity (as long you make sure there is no skill drain face-up before hand) but this card can be so unexpected that 99% at the time skill drain is too late activate anyways 

2) kinda like the above but break the effect on several cards, an Archetype in fact which befitting a full set of the carousel. Now that is a review i want to do in future

I just love how well this could fit into a countdown deck. That's why I said only the most evil of YGO characters would use it. From the art and the effect, it just feels like something Bakura would use.

When you consider this, Exodia, Final Countdown and Destiny Board being in the same deck (that counts for 12 cards), you could assume Bakura would wanna get his evil fingers on a deck that can be used to torment his opponent as they watch their chances of victory wither away.

6 hours ago, Dr. Jolly Glot the III said:

My last 2 cent.

1) even more streamline effect:

Cannot be Summoned (cannot be Set) except on your Left-Most Main Monster Zone. There can only 1 "Deadly-go-Around" on the field. This card is unaffected by other card effect also cannot be use as tribute or material to summon a monster. Cannot be targeted for attack and cannot prevent direct attack. During your Standby Phase: you either move this card to adjacent right zone OR when this card on your right-most main monster zone, give control of this card to your opponent by moving this card to the zone in the same column as this card .(if there a monster on either of those zone, switch place and/or control with this card) If this card face-up on the right-most zone of the opponent's of its owner, its owner win the Duel

This is actually does the same thing if not with added insurance of full immunity (as long you make sure there is no skill drain face-up before hand) but this card can be so unexpected that 99% at the time skill drain is too late activate anyways 

2) kinda like the above but break the effect on several cards, an Archetype in fact which befitting a full set of the carousel. Now that is a review i want to do in future

Ooof, Doc, full immunity, huh? That IS scary, and... well, maybe it would let it be more relevant in the current meta (although I posted this card in Casual to let it stay more "for the fun of it". The last idea is pretty delicious, though... break the effect in several cards. I know you said it was your last two cents, but I want to ask for more details about such an idea. How would you suggest we should go to make that archetype? (as in, what effect go for each card). I'm not 100% sure if you mean that the immunities that could protect this one card from getting screwed are assigned to other cards to ensure the survival or if you could have other cards let the main one move, change control, etc. Really interested in this.

5 hours ago, Horu Ishayuki said:

I just love how well this could fit into a countdown deck. That's why I said only the most evil of YGO characters would use it. From the art and the effect, it just feels like something Bakura would use.

When you consider this, Exodia, Final Countdown and Destiny Board being in the same deck (that counts for 12 cards), you could assume Bakura would wanna get his evil fingers on a deck that can be used to torment his opponent as they watch their chances of victory wither away.

Haha, yeah, well, this card would be fun IRL but pretty horrible if you were inside one of those anime Duels where the soul is at stake. Imagine the devilish thing whimpering and crying while approaching to you every turn until she finally shows her warped face and jumps and you, screaming something, and it's the last thing you see or hear... damn it.

But it is the trick though @Rayfield Lumina the immunity in this case serve as weakness as well, i can't be buffed and making sure that the condition that allow direct attack go to live. 

The archetype idea kinda stem due how thick the text of the original card although to be fair many single card in this game already challenge the text limit anyway. But we can start with a version of this card that strip away from most of its protection effect (Deadly-go-Around Ringclaimer) and then implement each piece of the effect to 4-5 cards but with added effect of searchability. This card in a same manner as final countdown being long winded grind games so it need a good searches in early game which the rest of carousel will hold the weight. We can probably add gimmick to like the other monster has trigger effect when it zone it changed 

1 hour ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

Haha, yeah, well, this card would be fun IRL but pretty horrible if you were inside one of those anime Duels where the soul is at stake. Imagine the devilish thing whimpering and crying while approaching to you every turn until she finally shows her warped face and jumps and you, screaming something, and it's the last thing you see or hear... damn it.

I could just imagine hearing that merry-go-round music for like 10 turns until this thing devours somebody's soul.

Actually I think Wattkinetic Puppeteer and transfamiliar don't allow you to abuse the card they make the card more viable in todays meta. I like that when it switches control to the opponent there is a chance you can take your opponents monster especially if you use wattkinetic on one of your opponents monsters before Deadly's effect.

Also 2 line in Deadly's effect make it an second/third turn kill possibility rather than an FTK. First of all, It can't switch control by an effect other than its own. Second, You can't move deadly by its own effect the turn it is summoned.

The best strategy I found was summon Deadly. Summon transfamiliar to any of your middle monster zones. Activate tran's effect to move Deadly to the right most main monster zone (transfamiliar needs to be summoned the same turn as deadly to win on second turn by Deadly's current effects)   . Wait a turn. Activate Deadly's effect. activate Wattkinetics effect. at the end of your opponents turn they are forced to give you Deadly thus winning you the game.

Completely new issue. Deadly's once per turn move right effect can activate same turn as its move forward effect. Not the issue but is Deadly's move effects forced, I believe they are based on wording and intent but when would your opponent move deadly if they didn't want to. (When does deadly move).

Archived