Post your Nostalgic Personal Computer Memories (Windows, Mac OS, and Linux)

Zamazenta the OS-Tan Fan

I made this thread to have a thread to have nostalgic thoughts and look back on the past about Microsoft older Windows Operating Systems. This also includes the OS-Tan stuff as well since their Related to each other because of Various communities, groups, fans, and etc. Please post your OS nostalgia in this thread here I like Windows but not Windows 11. 

@Loleo @Sleepy @Rayfield Lumina @Kokoroshi @Horu @Ryusei the Morning Star @Redro @The Nyx Avatar Please post your comment your nostalgic thoughts on your favorite Legacy Operating Systems and or Favorite Legacy UI on older Legacy Operating Systems or Legacy UI on Linux Distros I wanna know your thoughts?

On 9/4/2022 at 3:53 PM, Zefra Zamazenta said:

@Loleo @Sleepy @Rayfield Lumina @Kokoroshi @Horu @Ryusei the Morning Star @Redro @The Nyx Avatar Please post your comment your nostalgic thoughts on your favorite Legacy Operating Systems and or Favorite Legacy UI on older Legacy Operating Systems or Legacy UI on Linux Distros I wanna know your thoughts?

I'm planning to go into computer Science and I've not dedicated any of my time into really thinking about this.

1 hour ago, Zefra Zamazenta said:

When will you make a post with your favorite Vintage OS?

That's what I was saying, I don't really have 1. I'm 18, so I wasn't really around for the vintage operating systems and even the ones I was I don't really have any strong opinions about.

20 minutes ago, Loleo said:

That's what I was saying, I don't really have 1. I'm 18, so I wasn't really around for the vintage operating systems and even the ones I was I don't really have any strong opinions about.

Did you grow up in the era or lets just say Windows 7 or 8.1 those are okay options as well.

2 minutes ago, Zefra Zamazenta said:

Did you grow up in the era or lets just say Windows 7 or 8.1 those are okay options as well.

Yes, I in fact had a computer when I was 6 and windows 7 was released. As I said before I don't remember it that well and I don't have any particularly strong feelings for it.

Err, well, I don't have much Windows moments xD. I used it briefly many years ago... I remember clearly one time when I was looking for a site where to watch Avatar The Last Airbender for free and I clicked the wrong place... oh man, wasn't that virus scary lmao. We ended up formatting the entire thing.

:7603_key:

2 hours ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

Err, well, I don't have much Windows moments xD. I used it briefly many years ago... I remember clearly one time when I was looking for a site where to watch Avatar The Last Airbender for free and I clicked the wrong place... oh man, wasn't that virus scary lmao. We ended up formatting the entire thing.

:7603_key:

I feel bad for you

12 hours ago, Zefra Zamazenta said:

I feel bad for you

haha, it was scary because it was kinda like in the movies where all the screen turns one color and big letters of warning appear everywhere,  but you can't do anything at all, meanwhile, I was alone in the house and very young, so I didn't know what to do xD... actually, I wouldn't know what to do to this day hahaha

5 hours ago, Rayfield Lumina said:

haha, it was scary because it was kinda like in the movies where all the screen turns one color and big letters of warning appear everywhere,  but you can't do anything at all, meanwhile, I was alone in the house and very young, so I didn't know what to do xD... actually, I wouldn't know what to do to this day hahaha

True who hasn't installed a virus on their parents computers in the 2000's and 2010's?

1 hour ago, Zefra Zamazenta said:

True who hasn't installed a virus on their parents computers in the 2000's and 2010's?

true true xD

However, I guess it was not only bad stuff. During those days I had my first online experience when I played a MMORPG called Perfect World. It still exists up to this day, though its very different from how it used to be, and kinda abandoned. At any rate, I had a lot of good and bad moments playing that game. I remember one time when we were teaming up to defeat a tough boss, and we all ended up killed, but kinda nobody of us knew what the hell happened, and when somebody asked what in blazed killed him, another guy said, "IDK, I just saw a giant boulder approaching my face and then I was ded" LMAO it still makes me laugh a lot.

Back in 2008 a friend wanted to play Ragnarok Online together, and we played almost everyday for like a year or so. I used to get back from school at like 12pm, take a shower, eat lunch and skip homework to level up until night. Even after all these years, I still get the same feelings when hearing the title screen theme xD

Edit: In case anyone is wondering the operating system... virus flooded Windows XP

23 hours ago, kyop said:

Back in 2008 a friend wanted to play Ragnarok Online together, and we played almost everyday for like a year or so. I used to get back from school at like 12pm, take a shower, eat lunch and skip homework to level up until night. Even after all these years, I still get the same feelings when hearing the title screen theme xD

Edit: In case anyone is wondering the operating system... virus flooded Windows XP

Nice story also how did the Windows XP system get infecated?

2 hours ago, Zefra Zamazenta said:

Nice story also how did the Windows XP system get infecated?

I was a careless kid XD always downloading stuff from dubious websites. Also if I remember correctly, my father installed Norton anti-virus during that time, which didn't do much anyway

ok sharing some things

i remember playing roblox back in the late 00s and early 10s. the state of the game in '08, in '12, and now are all unrecognizable from each other. but when i was mainly active there was this sense of sky's-the-limit in both playing games and making them, which i just dont think is possible with how sophisticated and specific roblox games have become. i also remember a less toxic community, given that the active user base was much smaller, and RL money was less essential for character customization and privileges (only the basic builders club, the now-defunct ticket currency, etc.) the introduction of guests (supposedly also defunct now) and "gear" made a noticeable stink among players like myself, but in hindsight and even in the moment they brought something of value to the game.

it was with the introduction of "BC only games", then limited and limited-U catalog items, etc. that tipped me off that something was seriously wrong with the direction roblox was going in. but i hung in, still having some nice moments, until tickets got removed, which is when i gave up. i'm not sure i would want to return to using roblox or even get a job as an admin there if given the chance, between the poor admin decisions, the growing p*** problem on the site, and how far the "money creep" over the years has gone, so i'm not surprised that other veteran players are leaving in spades.

on the other hand we have minecraft, which was another game i adored young. got it in beta 1.5 and i remember (before the beta 1.8 redux of the map generator) playing over and over again the same seed i found on a YT video to get diamonds quick, which was the biggest deal in the game at the time, as well as faking herobrine on multiplayer servers. but in comparison to roblox, it's surprising how the core game has stayed the same, although with the new ban system microsoft put in place i got a feeling that won't be around for long (MC has always done a relatively remarkable job of self-regulation, as far as popular multiplayer games go, and that was a big part of the game's growth over the years.)

maybe its a me thing, but in either case it dont feel the same anymore

Moving this to general since this isn't a club style thing. 

As for the topic, one of my favorite memories from when I first started using the computer regularly was finding a website that had all the Pokemon sprites for D/P months before they were releasing in the US and copy/pasting them into a paint document just to have easy access and to organize stuff by favorite, or teams, or what have you. This started me life long use of images to organize stuff and I just remade that document not that long ago on my Mac.

On 9/19/2022 at 12:30 AM, Flame Dragon said:

Moving this to general since this isn't a club style thing. 

As for the topic, one of my favorite memories from when I first started using the computer regularly was finding a website that had all the Pokemon sprites for D/P months before they were releasing in the US and copy/pasting them into a paint document just to have easy access and to organize stuff by favorite, or teams, or what have you. This started me life long use of images to organize stuff and I just remade that document not that long ago on my Mac.

That's Nice

On 9/17/2022 at 12:30 PM, cr47t said:

ok sharing some things

i remember playing roblox back in the late 00s and early 10s. the state of the game in '08, in '12, and now are all unrecognizable from each other. but when i was mainly active there was this sense of sky's-the-limit in both playing games and making them, which i just dont think is possible with how sophisticated and specific roblox games have become. i also remember a less toxic community, given that the active user base was much smaller, and RL money was less essential for character customization and privileges (only the basic builders club, the now-defunct ticket currency, etc.) the introduction of guests (supposedly also defunct now) and "gear" made a noticeable stink among players like myself, but in hindsight and even in the moment they brought something of value to the game.

it was with the introduction of "BC only games", then limited and limited-U catalog items, etc. that tipped me off that something was seriously wrong with the direction roblox was going in. but i hung in, still having some nice moments, until tickets got removed, which is when i gave up. i'm not sure i would want to return to using roblox or even get a job as an admin there if given the chance, between the poor admin decisions, the growing p*** problem on the site, and how far the "money creep" over the years has gone, so i'm not surprised that other veteran players are leaving in spades.

on the other hand we have minecraft, which was another game i adored young. got it in beta 1.5 and i remember (before the beta 1.8 redux of the map generator) playing over and over again the same seed i found on a YT video to get diamonds quick, which was the biggest deal in the game at the time, as well as faking herobrine on multiplayer servers. but in comparison to roblox, it's surprising how the core game has stayed the same, although with the new ban system microsoft put in place i got a feeling that won't be around for long (MC has always done a relatively remarkable job of self-regulation, as far as popular multiplayer games go, and that was a big part of the game's growth over the years.)

maybe its a me thing, but in either case it dont feel the same anymore

Companies just don't care to be kind that's why its all about the Money also what also what OS where you using at the time?

On 9/14/2022 at 11:53 PM, kyop said:

I was a careless kid XD always downloading stuff from dubious websites. Also if I remember correctly, my father installed Norton anti-virus during that time, which didn't do much anyway

Yeah Norton and MacAfee where really popular and these companies got their name out their and got people attached to them at the time during the 2000's and early 2010's.

On 9/20/2022 at 1:05 AM, Zamazenta the OS-Tan Fan said:

Companies just don't care to be kind that's why its all about the Money also what also what OS where you using at the time?

i think XP b/c roblox probably wasnt mac compatible at time of my activity

also roblox seems like an especially strange case, as they were able to hold off the money creep for some time (from launch in 2005 to sometime around 2010) but fell to it anyway, and even then the deforming of the platform's former identity was relatively slow until recently; i think it was around the time of the removal of free ticket ("tix") currency relegating it to robux only, around that time was when the process went supersonic. (for some reason, but this isn't a complaint, we haven't seen it happen to minecraft yet.)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived