Duel Portal - Duel with your created cards [SUPPORT THREAD] [ONLINE]

seattleite

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Neochu-H, I know it might bug some people but honestly.. Duel Portal cannot move forward at the moment because there are too many cards to manage and go through, but if we start from 0 we can do things a lot easier and it may attract a larger sum of players. Though I know that you wouldn't like to remake your cards, it's not an impossible feat. Though DP is a nice system most people stray from it because of the fear of running into people with broken cards and decks. However, if Sea is able to regulate it(with a group of admins) a ban, limited, and semi-limited list then more people will get rid of that fear of playing and give it a shot. Some times it takes sacrifice to move forward.

I think you can already do that.

I was talking about implementing a search-loading feature for "public" cards, if sea was to implement such a thing... and yes, I was thinking a search format similar to what you already have when making your deck.

erase ALL the cards

I wouldn't be too opposed to this... as long as we got reasonable warning, the only set other then my IceBurns (Which are all on here anyway) that I would like to save is my Baltics.

I'd really like to be able to declare some cards to save from being deleted, just for the sake of conveniently not having to remake them. With the number of archetypes I've never finished (and never will) and the ones I don't feel like playing with because they're stupid (like, all of them), the only cards I have that I want to save are half the INTDIM set (given I renamed the archetype, I should change the set name to fit the name), and I'll probably delete the cards from there I want to lose myself. The other one is the appropriately named KONAMI set, since it houses a huge, huge number of real cards that are not a part of the Staples list. Since I'm sure there is somebody else out there with some of those non-staple real cards, I suppose we can try to have a non-staple set for the rest of the real cards so we don't have eleventy bajillion Foolish Burials (people I've dueled will say I already got enough of those :3) and Dupe Frogs. Sure, it would take for-freaking-ever to upload everything, but I suppose we can add to that list in small amounts over time. Oh, and there are some cards in an unnamed set that I won't be deleting, which would be convenient for you not to delete as well.

Also, in an attempt to probably make things easier for Sea, I'm going through and deleting pretty much everything I don't mind losing, which leads to the following statement: holy sh*t, DJ has an unhealthy number of cards made. Though, Arin was implying he was sharing cards with me too, but I honestly don't know if he really is (or what they would be, if he secretly has been doing so all this time).

Edit: There. Everything I want to keep is now all that I have, if we are allowed to pick and choose what to keep (which I doubt since there will be THOSE PEOPLE who want to keep eighty-kajillion cards, which kinda includes me). Well, that and DJ's eleven-thousand cards.

Seems people like making cards public and loading all of them by search criteria. I've got just a few things to say:

*   It would be possible to load during the search, although it will cause some unpleasant lag.

*   I'm fine with whatever if it's what you guys want. But banlists can get messy, since we have power to edit our own cards, and they'll be shared by pretty much everyone.

This is how I was planning to do it (once tournaments etc. rolled around). If a card is placed on a banlist, it's locked from editing, so it can be discussed publicly. Sound ok?

* Rest assured, i'm not deleting anyone's cards without telling the creator and archiving the cards :P

* Since everyone would be sharing the same set again, you can't make a card that has the same name as any other of the cards out there.

* Finally we can't move into a more managed Duel Portal if we don't have people to manage it. So some kind of !!!Active!!! panel of judges is needed. And I can setup all the technology for managing this stuff.

@ BackgroundCharacter - Cool, that'll free some space c: I don't know the fate of the "reset everything" idea, but I like the idea of a staple (or just "commonly used TCG card") set.

Seems people like making cards public and loading all of them by search criteria. I've got just a few things to say:

*   It would be possible to load during the search, although it will cause some unpleasant lag.

Add a warning that it'll cause lag, I'm assuming that it would just be until the cards were loaded? If so I'm fine with that

*   I'm fine with whatever if it's what you guys want. But banlists can get messy, since we have power to edit our own cards, and they'll be shared by pretty much everyone.

This is how I was planning to do it (once tournaments etc. rolled around). If a card is placed on a banlist, it's locked from editing, so it can be discussed publicly. Sound ok?

Also fine with me, if I feel that a card on the banlist needs to be changed, I'll make a proxy or record what I want to change and update the original after that banlist is no-longer in effect.

* Finally we can't move into a more managed Duel Portal if we don't have people to manage it. So some kind of !!!Active!!! panel of judges is needed. And I can setup all the technology for managing this stuff.

Not exactly sure on how active I'll be, but I'm definitely willing to give making dp better a shot

You should probably know how to design cards first so that you don't have to properly balance them in the first place. 

theres this thing i like to do called testing.

i want to see wether the way the card is is too weak and makes a dead draw all the time

or too strong and i win without trying.

Thanks guys for offering to help. I'll let you know when everything's ready.

@ Neochu - Yeah, it's an unfortunate side effect.

The reason I think it's necessary is so we don't have creators editing their cards all the time and saying "Is it balanced now? How about now?"

Plus it's for organization so all of the judges can see why 1 of them listed it.

Well in all honestly I've made cards before that are balanced if used correctly but I've found OP loops and stuff in testing that just makes them ban worthy when all I would really need to do is add "You can only used the effect of insertnameofcardhere once per turn."

theres this thing i like to do called testing.

i want to see wether the way the card is is too weak and makes a dead draw all the time

or too strong and i win without trying.

Even if that were the case, you could still use an alternate program if your card gets locked, like YVD, to test how strong or OP your card is beforehand, make necessary changes in THAT program, and then import it to here once you've finalized everything. Editing cards on here is a major pain in the ass; it saves you a lot of time if you balance cards the aforementioned way, instead of doing it on DP.

I can't upload my cards from YCM.

I right click the card image, click copy image url and at the portal, I click generate from YCM. But when I click Upload to server, appears the message "There was an error submitting your card."

My internet connection is OK.

I can't upload my cards from YCM. I right click the card image, click copy image url and at the portal, I click generate from YCM. But when I click Upload to server, appears the message "There was an error submitting your card." My internet connection is OK.

It hasn't been working ever since they got the new YCM Template. We're in the middle of another semi-big update so we can't fix it right away, sorry.

Well in all honestly I've made cards before that are balanced if used correctly but I've found OP loops and stuff in testing that just makes them ban worthy when all I would really need to do is add "You can only used the effect of insertnameofcardhere once per turn."

yeah I found a cycle where IceBurn Seabrease and IceBurn 2nd Degree Burn would cause the other to burn the opponent, but that was easily fixed by making seabrease unable to activate off 2nd degree.

YVD gets probably hundreds of downloads every day. If it was a virus, people would let the developers know and the site would be shut down while people attempt to find the source of the virus and exterminate it. And if you were so anal about it, then run a scan with Microsoft Security Essentials or something.

Anyways, kind of off-topic, but still a potential possibility.

Archived