Official One Piece Anime & Manga Discussion Thread

[spoiler=852]

There's no funking way Sanji lets his sister (or his brothers) die from this. Raiju did not say the brothers were under Judge's control though. I would not be surprised if they turned on him. Think the ending of lion king

You still have hope for pudding?

[spoiler=852]

I can agree with this. He might hate his brothers, but I can't see Sanji being willing to let his family die. Especially his sister.

I don't have hope that she is good, but I also don't fully buy her evil speech. I saw a commenter on Mangastream put it really well so I'm going to copypaste it since reflects my feelings well

t just doesn't make any sense when it comes to Big Mom. Nothing about her actions thus far indicate that she would readily betray another. If anything Big Mom seems very honorable when it comes to making deals or trades.

-She offers protection to places like Fishman Island in exchange for goods (as opposed to just making them do it out of fear of being destroyed. Though that does make for a good motivator to give her goods)

-She agreed to let Jinbe go in exchange for something valuable of his.

-She agreed to let Pedro go in exchange for 50 years off his life.

-Many of the Charlotte family are already married (meaning she has made her other children go through legit political marriages before and hasn't "betrayed" any of them)

-She agrees to let the Strawhat's go free at Sanji's request (people could say she was just blowing smoke up Sanji's ass, but if she did it wouldn't make sense that she made it a point to explain to him that she had every reason to have them killed for what they've done to her).

tl;dr Big Mom hasn't been shown to be someone that would double cross people like this. The dialog about the "plan" in this chapter seems to be suggesting she might be, but I'm also calling it as vague enough that it likely isn't what they are talking about. Most likely the wedding and Oda is just being cheeky about it.

Also on this note it the internal memory of Pudding. The short flashback with Lola meant something and it doesn't perfectly line up with her villain speech.

Also, just since this is bugging me that it happened two posts in a row, it's Reiju, not Raiju. The numbering pun with the siblings names comes into play since "rei" is zero in Japanese. Raiju is the lightning animal companion of the Shinto god Raijin.

I should have caught that since I know Rai deals with electricity. I'm too lazy.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[spoiler=852]

I can agree with this. He might hate his brothers, but I can't see Sanji being willing to let his family die. Especially his sister.

I don't have hope that she is good, but I also don't fully buy her evil speech. I saw a commenter on Mangastream put it really well so I'm going to copypaste it since reflects my feelings well

tl;dr Big Mom hasn't been shown to be someone that would double cross people like this. The dialog about the "plan" in this chapter seems to be suggesting she might be, but I'm also calling it as vague enough that it likely isn't what they are talking about. Most likely the wedding and Oda is just being cheeky about it.

Also on this note it the internal memory of Pudding. The short flashback with Lola meant something and it doesn't perfectly line up with her villain speech.

I should have caught that since I know Rai deals with electricity. I'm too lazy.

Could pudding be trying to overthrow big mom?

That would be her best bet, but even then don't see it working. Judge didn't seem super strong during his fight with Sanji, and even at there strongest I would only put them in Luffy's range which is still way below an Emperor.

Puddings power is crazy. Remember in other shonens. People like Aizen beat people stronger than them using their mind manipulation powers

Puddings power is crazy. Remember in other shonens. People like Aizen beat people stronger than them using their mind manipulation powers

We don't know how battle ready her powers are though. On a pinned opponent she has the complete advantaged, but in an actual fight it likely won't be that easily. Especially since Sanji knows to keep his distance now.

(as a side note, went to look at last chapter to see how her memory powers work and dear lord is the Brook vs. Mom two page spread badass. Love Brook so much right now.

Could she have the awakened form of her power?

I would underestimate her

The only character we've seen with that is Mingo and I don't think Pudding is near his or Luffy's power level. Her power is certainly threatening, but more built for misdirection. I could be underestimating her, but I honestly don't think she's much of a fighter.

I could see the Pudding thing going either way. But I agree Big Mom's agenda doesn't really line up with assassinating the Germa 666, so it's possible Pudding's acting on her own and/or against Big Mom.

Chapter was cool, always love me some Jinbe. And the stuff with Sanji's mom was nice, I'm glad we got a little more out of her.

As for Luffy getting a golden tooth, the only reason I wouldn't think so is it'd be an unattractive character design for the lead character. Normally I don't think that'd be a big deal, but Luffy's the face of Jump and I doubt the editorial staff would allow it. I think the moment Sanji rejoins, Luffy's smile will be fully restored.

That'd be fine, and a nice bit of symbolism. Anime/manga often do the thing where someone is super beat up or something and then perfectly fine the next frame, usually for comedic effect, but if Oda does the same with the reasoning you stated it'd be pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...

And we're back

[spoiler=853]

Love the bit with Big Mom and Brook at the start. Oda has done any amazing job with her various faces. Also, Roger mention and 3 Eye Tribe. Interesting.....

Egg being a Chicken is great. Hoping we get more.

Luffy going off to meet up place makes perfect sense. Safe to say he'll be out of the rest of the arc.

[spoiler=853]I'm wondering if Brook really didn't get a chance to take anything or if he's managed to hide it somehow. It's interesting how Big Mom's demeanor changes so easily, too, since she doesn't think Brook has done anything she's just super interested in skeleton dude.

Hope Luffy's gonna be ok, but at least we got a smile out of him this chapter.

Also I funking love Baron Tamago's DF power.

[spoiler=853]

Very interesting that Roger met with Big Mom back then and used her poneglyph. If Roger's hearing voice from all things let him read it, I wonder if Luffy and Momonosuke can learn to as well? Since that seemed to be something they unlocked when they could hear Zunisha raging.

Kinda awesome to see that Luffy's headed straight back to the same spot. Always the one-track mind.

I love this week's art.

7oe7lmj.png?1

[spoiler=854]So Brook is the first one to injure Big Mom's main minions, his having soul powers will be key in the inevitable big fight. They just need to rescue him first.

It's interesting that everyone's managed to escape while being thought dead or captured, usually that sort of thing doesn't happen. But I guess that one guy giving false information to not get in trouble is a big factor along with the mirror world being super useful.

And now Sanji's finally gotten to his senses, makes sense that the thing that finally gets him to go after Luffy is meat. Both Luffy and Sanji are headed to the place Luffy said he'd wait and they'll finally get to meet up and Luffy will eat Sanji's food and hopefully everything will be awesome for just a little bit.

And it seems we're not on break next week!

The cover art was indeed awesome and as always the art on Big Mom was great. As for the chapter.

[spoiler=854]

Interesting that Jimbei didn't actually spin the wheel. Pretty smart of him all things considered.

Part of me was still thinking Pudding was going rouge, but nope, Big Mom is doing the double cross. Fun seeing Brook get the info the way he did. Also cool to see Brook actually clocked a little damage on Mom's main souls.

Everyone thinking the SH's and allies have been taken care of should set up for a sweet reveal when the time comes. Honestly, watching the tables get turned on Big Mom is going to be fun to watch.

Nice to see Sanji snap out of it. Can't wait for him to reunite with Luffy.

[spoiler=855]I figured Brook was hiding them somewhere but I completely forgot about the compartment in his head. Everyone's reactions were hilarious.

Oh god that last page, so happy. :)

[spoiler=855]

I can see this ending pretty well. Sanji's sister can take over the Germa, with the brothers being her generals. There's gonna be hell to pay when they find out Judge messed with their brains to make them that way.

Brook was a given, Sawyer7mage actually called this.

How the f did they survive so many attacks tho!

Jesus

You mean how they have no emotions? Don't they know that and revel in it? Or do you mean something else?

I don't think they do. Or atleast they don't know they were stripped of it. One thing I noticed.

Sis has emotions, but she cannot disobey Judge

The brothers have no emotion, but there was nothing said about their ability to disobey Judge

That's the sorta slip that Oda usually uses for a plot twist

[spoiler=855]

Brook has shot up in my SH rankings with this arc. I love how casually he is just like, "yep, I got the job done". The big with saving him was cute. Scary how powerful Big Mom is even while sleeping. Though its cool to note that even though she was likely holding back since she wanted to keep Brook, Brook was able to fight back for a little against her. Speaks to how powerful he is. Also, how the hell did he stick such giant pieces of paper in his head?

And yea, nice to see Sanji reunite with Luffy. And Jesus, Luffy looked terrible.

Archived