The Grand Crossover RP - Pathway to Origin [OOC/Apps Closed for Finale]

Energy multiplication. You add one kind of energy to another kind of energy. The second energy is used as the catalyst for multiplying the amount of energy between the two. That's the route I was going with this.

However, from a purely scientific standpoint (which isn't the only one between the many different universes that are likely to inhabit this rp, with each universe having its own amount of inherent bullshit), I can see where you're coming from. If you're saying energy can't be multiplied with the combining of two different energies, then that would mean that a different method is required, one that would satisfy scientific requirements. Is that right?

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you add energy, then that's addition, not multiplication. Energy cannot be created or destroyed, and adding two different kinds of energy either results in just the combined energy, or they conflict and explode. If you add everyone's energy together then divide it evenly, some will get less. Blaze is practically pure energy due to his fire core, so his 0.001% will be much greater than say, Black Dynamite's. So, as a result, if their energy are combined and evenly redistributed, Blaze gets less whilst Black D gets more. More to the point that many of the energy types in the CC will probably conflict, so re-dividing energy may in fact be harmful to the CC as a result due to mass explosions and energy sickness. And some might not have the capacity to take more power than what they have. I do refer to Black D, but the energy will just go to increase his sheen I guess.

In the case of energy overflow, the extra goes to the communication stones, to be passively drawn upon as the original owner's energy depletes, in addition to the energy for the spells being drawn from the stones once that point is reached.

Your description about different energies actually ties in to my other idea, which would be energy cycling. One kind of energy would be the catalyst to another kind of energy, causing energy multiplication, and so on down the chain. However, that process is complex to the point of I have no idea how it would work with every little detail, since there are I don't know how many kinds of unfamiliar energy types in the counter corps.

Long story short, I'm trying to go with something simple, and I'm pretty sure that aura is a multi-universal constant, with the only difference being whether or not it's used, and if so, how it's used, and what laws are followed for it in that universe.

Of course, this could be a lead-in to the fact that different unvierses have different rules, with only some of them being constants across all of them, but I'm leaving that alone because for one, I have no idea where I would begin, and for two, it is far too wide a topic to cover in any short amount of time.

Then if it's too complex for you to explain then you don't use it. If an argument can't be backed up then you haven't put enough thought into how you're using it. Energy is smegging energy, and across all multiverses it remains pretty damn constant that you can't make more. So how does the spell make more?

Energy is smegging energy, and across all multiverses it remains pretty damn constant that you can't make more.

I'd disagree on that.  Most magic and abilities outright ignore energy conservation, and some fictions even have perpetual energy generators.

I'd worry more about making it work internally and consistently (I'd link to tvtropes but that'd be bad).  That, and making sure whatever you use is balanced.

Energy generators would need a basis to work off of, unless it's one of those stories where they talk about creating an all-new, renewable energy, but still, that renewable energy itself would need materials for a synthesis that the generator works with. Either way, the energy those things would work with are a constant from other universes.

Actually, Clerano doesn't necessarily come from earth. He's based partly on the Elsword MMO, and the Elrios Continent isn't said to be on Earth, even though it's earth-like in many respects.

The energy cycling thing IS to complex for me to understand, which is why I don't want to use it. I don't like using something I don't understand enough about. As to the method I WAs going to use, if we go off of aura being used as the catalyst, then Clerano could have his aura distributed amongst the other communication stones via his own, then the aural energies intermingling with the communication stones energy could serve as the catalyst for energy multiplcation. And no, it is not energy addition. It is different energies coming into contact, and one multiplying itself as a result of contact with the other coming into contact with it, and a small portion of the other being mixed with it during the multiplication process.

That reminds me, I was thinking of the mechanics of a spell that would turn one kind of energy into another, but it would be redundant, since I could just have a spell that turns a specific kind of energy into base energy. Then again, that's not a buff spell, so I don't know that it would be something that Clerano would be able to do without breaking the list of powers that he has at his disposal.

So, you're saying that energy can catalyze a reaction with another energy, thereby somehow generating more energy when there is only one reactant. You ARE aware that catalysts have no place in a reaction and just speed it up and/or make it easier for the reaction to occur right?

That, doesn't make sense, not one bit. How can something react with itself? And how can Clerano not wipe himself, since he'd still need to extend his aura across the distance, as the stones can't transfer energy, they just allow communication. What you're saying is like saying you can transport food through a megaphone. And if you don't want to use it DON'T! If you can't justify it then don't try using it at all. That's just common sense.

All I'm saying is that when it comes to special powers, physics as we know them do not apply.  If any of these fictional powers existed for real, our current view of the universe would need to be modified, and many scientific laws would need to be revised, like what relativity did to newton's laws.

Let's take... say... Bleach.  People in that universe can give off Reiatsu just by existing with the proper training.  Early on it seemed to be psycological, but it was later shown to have physical effects, like killing people.  Now, you'd have to ask a few questions here.  Where is this energy coming from?  How does one convert this to physical energy?  Why is there so much energy there that it turns people to dust?  Indeed, any series that includes similar destructive potential coming from human bodies is suspect.  Bleach is a major offender simply because such power is basically a passive aura effect.  And taken at face value, this does seem to imply that whatever process these trained individuals use to create reiatsu, the output energy is much, much, higher than the input energy.

Not to mention that Arthuria has the only stone capable of communication with everyone in the Counter Corps, so Clerano would have to speak with each person individually to transfer the power between the stones, or he'd have to meet up with everyone and give them that energy at once.

All I'm saying is that when it comes to special powers, physics as we know them do not apply.  If any of these fictional powers existed for real, our current view of the universe would need to be modified, and many scientific laws would need to be revised, like what relativity did to newton's laws.

Let's take... say... Bleach.  People in that universe can give off Reiatsu just by existing with the proper training.  Early on it seemed to be psycological, but it was later shown to have physical effects, like killing people.  Now, you'd have to ask a few questions here.  Where is this energy coming from?  How does one convert this to physical energy?  Why is there so much energy there that it turns people to dust?  Indeed, any series that includes similar destructive potential coming from human bodies is suspect.  Bleach is a major offender simply because such power is basically a passive aura effect.  And taken at face value, this does seem to imply that whatever process these trained individuals use to create reiatsu, the output energy is much, much, higher than the input energy.

The answer to that, my dear boy, is the same as all answers to questions about Bleach.

Kubo is a crap writer.

Well, for one, Bleach isn't much of an argument as it's like DBZ, just pure bulls**t. But, if you want to look at it like that, the Reiatsu can be contained within the body, as training focuses the body and in this would allow them to better contain the energy. Upon the release of Reiatsu they are doing just that, releasing it from within themselves.

As for killing people, people have different tolerance levels. Some people can withstand hot or cold climates better than other people. As such, people less resistant to Reiatsu would of course be destroyed by it.

But again, Bleach isn't an argument because, like DBZ and other high-octane energy anime, it runs on bulls**t and explodium.

... $#!+, I've been sitting at the computer for, like, 2 hours, and I've practically hit writer's block. @__@

Quick, I need to get my juices flowing again! *takes a mallet to my own head*

On a somewhat unrelated note, I never did get to do my own "backstage/behind-the-scenes" thing back when I had originally suggested it. I may do that in a later OoC post....

Not to mention that Arthuria has the only stone capable of communication with everyone in the Counter Corps, so Clerano would have to speak with each person individually to transfer the power between the stones, or he'd have to meet up with everyone and give them that energy at once.

That's a fair point. Then with that in mind, we could say that Arthuria's communication stone would be the focal point that allows the spells to be dispersed to all members.

it runs on bulls**t and explodium.

xD

Honestly though, Broke. N, maybe you could help me think of something? It's clear that I'm caught in catch 22, and the power/energy/aura/whatever amplification spell is supposed to be one of his main things, particularly considering that it's supposed to give the entirety of the CC a larger edge over the Divine, and while I could very well just say that those spells

run on bulls**t and explodium,

I'd really rather not.

You don't grow tolerant to turning into dust.  Or maybe one does, but said resistance is tied to reiatsu.  Which means in order to resist this completely messed up power you need to have some of this completely messed up power.  And we can do the same exercise in any fictional world.  The square-cube law does not exist in Mecha shows (or they find the most awesome materials... which would be shenanigans).  Firebending and earthbending are shenanigans, and would completely wreck our physical model of the universe.  What about worlds where magic can be regenerated merely by resting?  Like say... many RPGs, tabletop or electronic.  This in particular is so pervasive that it usually is a plot point where magic is of limited supply.

In any case, the genre of the fiction doesn't matter.  Once a work introduces a fantasy, supernatural, or sci-fi element, our preconceptions of the universe as it stands don't help as much as one would think.  With that said, I did mention that whatever form of magic is being used needs to be internally consistent, right?  I am of the belief that when designing magic and powers and the like, basic rules must be created first, for they are the base upon everything else is derived.  It doesn't need to be super specific, but everything that pertains to your ability needs to be derived from those rules.  I don't know what rules Clerano is working off of, so I do not feel qualified to say whether or not it's possible - but those rules should be available for all to see.

...and now I need to go to bed.  Looks like I won't get that post in today.  (If you can't tell, I enjoy treating magic as a science, and get kinda miffed when it isn't when not justified i.e. summon magic is a good justification)

I say you just funking let go of multiplication. It's just plain cheating.

You don't grow tolerant to turning into dust.  Or maybe one does, but said resistance is tied to reiatsu.  Which means in order to resist this completely messed up power you need to have some of this completely messed up power.  And we can do the same exercise in any fictional world.  The square-cube law does not exist in Mecha shows (or they find the most awesome materials... which would be shenanigans).  Firebending and earthbending are shenanigans, and would completely wreck our physical model of the universe.  What about worlds where magic can be regenerated merely by resting?  Like say... many RPGs, tabletop or electronic.  This in particular is so pervasive that it usually is a plot point where magic is of limited supply.

In any case, the genre of the fiction doesn't matter.  Once a work introduces a fantasy, supernatural, or sci-fi element, our preconceptions of the universe as it stands don't help as much as one would think.  With that said, I did mention that whatever form of magic is being used needs to be internally consistent, right?  I am of the belief that when designing magic and powers and the like, basic rules must be created first, for they are the base upon everything else is derived.  It doesn't need to be super specific, but everything that pertains to your ability needs to be derived from those rules.  I don't know what rules Clerano is working off of, so I do not feel qualified to say whether or not it's possible - but those rules should be available for all to see.

...and now I need to go to bed.  Looks like I won't get that post in today.  (If you can't tell, I enjoy treating magic as a science, and get kinda miffed when it isn't when not justified i.e. summons)

I can summarize why this is wrong in one sentence.

The laws of physics do apply, and magic is where you spend energy to ignore them.

The thing is, Mugen, I can't just outright let go of it. Not entirely, anyway. For the purposes of this rp, though, I think I'm going to alter my post with all the spells, having Clerano prepare them for himself, and leave them inactive until he says the activation phrase. I still need to figure this out for another rp I'm in, though, since it's supposed to be an intelligence based rp as opposed to one that runs off of bullshit and explodium, and I have no idea what that means for the power multiplication idea in the way that I meant for it to be used in that.

The thing is, Mugen, I can't just outright let go of it. Not entirely, anyway. For the purposes of this rp, though, I think I'm going to alter my post with all the spells, having Clerano prepare them for himself, and leave them inactive until he says the activation phrase. I still need to figure this out for another rp I'm in, though, since it's supposed to be an intelligence based rp as opposed to one that runs off of bullshit and explodium, and I have no idea what that means for the power multiplication idea in the way that I meant for it to be used in that.

It means you can't use it intelligently because the idea is inherently impossible to pull of. Multiplying energy is cheating, period.

Let me stop everybody right where they are.  Alright, let's take a moment to breathe.  Inhale, exhale.  Inhale, exhale.  Did you do it?

GOOD!

Did you skip it?  

Black Dynamite gon' get in that ass.

You need to realize one of several things, Satsui:  

1.)  Black Dynamite don't need no buff.  Black Dynamite is already buff.

2.)  Black Dynamite don't need no assistance.  He takes the "istance" out of it and spanks everything that remains.

3.)  Everyone is being drawn to Sector C, not by chance or distraction, but by the overwhelming amount of spiritual, physical, emotional, and mental sexy that is emanating from Black Dynamite.  All other arguments are invalid.  Got that?

Let me stop everybody right where they are.  Alright, let's take a moment to breathe.  Inhale, exhale.  Inhale, exhale.  Did you do it?

GOOD!

Did you skip it?  

Black Dynamite gon' get in that ass.

You need to realize one of several things, Satsui:  

1.)  Black Dynamite don't need no buff.  Black Dynamite is already buff.

2.)  Black Dynamite don't need no assistance.  He takes the "istance" out of it and spanks everything that remains.

3.)  Everyone is being drawn to Sector C, not by chance or distraction, but by the overwhelming amount of spiritual, physical, emotional, and mental sexy that is emanating from Black Dynamite.  All other arguments are invalid.  Got that?

Gettin' real tired of your sheet, ninja.

Archived