[OCG] September 2013 Banlist.

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, this one.

Newly Forbidden:
Burner, Dragon Ruler of Sparks (炎征竜-バーナー)
Lightning, Dragon Ruler of Drafts (風征竜-ライトニング)
Reactan, Dragon Ruler of Pebbles (地征竜-リアクタン)
Stream, Dragon Ruler of Droplets (水征竜-ストリーム)
Spellbook of Judgment (魔導書の神判)

Good, good.

Newly Limited:
Brotherhood of the Fire Fist – Rooster (立炎星-トウケイ)

What? Wasn't this card just released?

Mermail Abyssteus (水精鱗-ディニクアビス)

Good.

Wind-Up Shark (ゼンマイシャーク)

Well there goes my Number 61 deck. RIP 2013 - 2013

Newly Semi-Limited:
Gladiator Beast Bestiari (剣闘獣ベストロウリィ)

Who?

Gorz the Emissary of Darkness (冥府の使者ゴーズ)
Neo-Spacian Grand Mole (N・グラン・モール)

I'm okay with this.

Black Whirlwind (黒い旋風)

Alright! Blackwings now have the chance of being Tier 2!

Newly Unlimited:
Tsukuyomi (月読命)

WHAT? DID THEY EVEN SEE WHAT HAPPENED IN 2013WORLDCHAMP?

Wind-Up Magician (ゼンマイマジシャン)

Hello again Number 61 deck!

Advanced Ritual Art (高等儀式術)

Oh god. PREPARE YOU DECK'S ANUS.

E – Emergency Call (E-エマージェンシーコール) 

E•HEROs for Tier 2? I like it!

Pot of Duality (強欲で謙虚な壺)

Finally.

Scapegoat (スケープ・ゴート)

Nice, nice...

Mirror Force (聖なるバリア-ミラーフォース-)

Okay. Seems good.

Ok, let's have at it then:

Newly Forbidden:
Baby Dragons I can live with it. Would have prefered a less drastic measure, but as long as the deck dies, it's ok.
Spellbook of Judgment Well, this was obvious, but knowing Konami..., I'm just glad it happened.

Newly Limited:
Brotherhood of the Fire Fist – Rooster Huh, didn't expect this one honestly, I thought they'd hit 3-Axis via Tenki or Spirit.

Genex Ally Birdman WHY YOU DO THIS TO ME?!, awful change, even worse than Gorz's.

Mermail Abyssteus I guess it's an ok hit to the deck, didn't cross my mind that it could happen though.

Wind-Up Shark Ehhm..., what?
Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier Now you're playing with fire, Konami. I welcome this for some decks, but it's very dangerous.
Number 11: Big Eye Except for Dragons, most decks that can play this run 1 anyways. Pointless hit if it's not a ban.
Divine Wind of Mist Valley They should have limited Blaze Fenix if they wanted to get rid of the FTK. This hurts harmless decks.

Super Rejuvenation Since the babies are banned, I guess this is ok.
Abyss-sphere Time to play more Squalls I guess. Not an expected hit either.

Newly Semi-Limited:
Gladiator Beast Bestiari Rejoice, GB fans. I don't think the deck will be much better though.

Gorz the Emissary of Darkness This could turn the format into something very unhealthy. I hope I'm wrong.

Neo-Spacian Grand Mole Interesting choice. A couple of decks will like this.
Black Whirlwind Gale was the way to do it instead of this :/

Newly Unlimited:
Tsukuyomi Everyone kind of expected this.

Wind-Up Magician Seriously, what?
Advanced Ritual Art Didn't build Perfect Herald with this at 2, I guess now is time to do it.

E – Emergency Call Yeah, sure, why not?

Pot of Duality I was kind of used to have it at 2. Everyone will disagree, but I don't like this that much.

Scapegoat Not meta-relevant and promotes fun combos and not extremely annoying stalling. Sure.
Mirror Force Not necessary but not the worst thing in the world either.

I would welcome those potential changes in Tenki and Chaos Sorcerer too.

Overall..., kind of a weird banlist. It gets rid of the more urgent bussiness, but leaves a lot of questions for the future. Time will tell.

Should be pointed out, Konami tends to experiment with the September banlist since March is the more important one. This could easily be the reason for a lot of the shifts. Even moreso if they're moving to 3 banlists every year, meaning they can experiment more.

Isn't the September banlist usually the one Konami tends to do "okay" in while the March banlist is the one Konami tends to completely f*** up? Just curious if it is that or the other way around. As towards the banlist in question, Trish should have stayed @0 due to the reasons already stated and Gorz should have stayed @1 for the same reason as always: it is a card that gives an advantage to those who don't deserve it (mainly out of luck). So yea, my thoughts.

No. Until more recent years, Konami's done a brilliant job of managing the banlist and this list is also a step in the right direction again. The reason that the March lists tend to be viewed in a harsher light is because they're the lists that affect more important tournaments, including Worlds.

Ah, I see. Alright. That does make sense.

Okay, I'll give a more thorough review of the banlist, since it seems legit.

Banned

Dragon Ruler babies - Brilliant decision. Dragon Rulers lose a lot of their consistency and speed that make their inter-synergy so ridiculous. They genuinely shouldn't have been made.

Spellbook of Judgment - Good. Enjoy your own judgment in hell.

Limited

Rooster - Honestly, don't care at all. I'm not that familiar with Fire Fists.

Mermail Abyssteus - Probably a good move. It was too easy to drop.

Wind-Up Shark - only makes sense because of Magician's change. Good choice, since Shark is the card that abused Magician the best.

Trishula - Interesting. I'm glad to see it again, since it may revitalize some Synchro Decks. That said, it's not really the wisest thing to bring back into the game. I'll have to see where this goes.

Number 11 - Thank god. Hello price drop? Oh right, also less devastating to the game.

Divine Wind - I...okay. No opinion.

Super Rejuvenation - Good! I know Dragon Rulers abused it to death. Multiple copies was just ridiculous.

Abyss-Sphere - Mermails lose a bit of speed. Which is a good thing.

Semi-Limit

Gladiator Beast Bestiari - Ah yes, the card everyone wanted bumped for Glad Beasts. They're a rogue Deck, so this should give them a little more power to hold up to the game's evolution.

Gorz - I discussed this to death. It's a terribly designed card, but I'm not sure if 2 will have an impact any more than 1 did.

Grand Mole - Sure. It's an annoying card, but Xyz and Synchros hate it.

Black Whirlwind - No complaints. Blackwings got a little boost.

Unlimited

Tsukuyomi - Okay. Didn't care.

Wind-Up Magician - I guess Wind-Ups without Magician were too weak, so they got a boost and got rid of Shark instead. This could be interesting. Wind-Up Magician was an issue in combo with Shark because Shark triggers it with absurd ease, and then makes Rank 5s without much effort. This would give Wind-Ups more flexibility, and reduce the consistency of the combo by taking Shark out.

Advanced Ritual Art - Sure.

E - Emergency Call - HEROs not doing so well? I have no real issue with this.

Pot of Duality - Sure.

Scapegoat - Okay, this is actually REALLY cool.

Mirror Force - I knew it'd happen eventually. I like.

Summary

All in all, I really like the list. I might actually play DN rated matches and see how the format is.

I really approve of the list, although I still reserve my full belief in it until later.

As for getting around Gorz, Gem-Knight Citrine otk anyone? Once he declares an attack, no effects can be activated until the end of the damage step. So, if you can make three of them, plus another fairly irrelevant monster, when your opponent has a clear field (hoping to drop gorz) you have game.

Archived