[OCG] September 2013 Banlist.

I rather like the quarterly shift in banlist instead of the bi-yearly. This is saying the obvious, but it hits problem cards fairly quickly and, to an extent, makes players keep up with the format.

Of course, if Konami weren't such a huge pile of dumbasses in the first place, there wouldn't need to be any major bans within the spree of 3 months.

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 Banlists a year would be interesting, seeing as how it could let them be more drastic with the card pool, and monitor the game on a more extreme level.

That aside, nice to know we finally have a true, high res, banlist =D
Tenki and Chaos Sorcerer to 2 I think were the only real changes, from the last official/unofficial one, but the rest of it is still what everyone basically wanted.
But anyway.... It still looks good.

Gorz is an OTK stopper, and thus isn't all too bad but I don't really like the fact he is becoming more useable. It inspires even more "no backrow, straight monsters" play which has proved to be a fast format.

Mole at 2 hits Extra Deck even more, but I'm okay with that. I know it will suck for me later, but I can live with it.

I like that Trishula is getting limited, though I've said that many times.

One thing I want to say is: Konami frowns at combo cards. Seriously? Hitting Divine Wind? Yes, it has a great deal of combos, but honestly, it isn't a problem. The decks that use it are so gimmicky that they still lose often and thus they're unreliable. WIND, as a whole, is hated by Konami. They have the least support, the strongest hate (Poisonous Winds, really?), and yet Konami still hits the little support they actually have that is good. They should've just got rid of Fenix if there was some abusable combo with him and Divine Wind, not Wind itself.

Also, in Birdmans case. They just keep hitting any and all good/decent Tuners, and yet again, another combo enabler/card. These two are the changes I really don't agree with.

I heard there was a banlist.

I'm back for a minute to make comment go.

Also, I haven't played this game in six months, so we'll see what happens.

Newly Forbidden:
Burner, Dragon Ruler of Sparks (炎征竜-バーナー) One for the money
Lightning, Dragon Ruler of Drafts (風征竜-ライトニング) Two for the show
Reactan, Dragon Ruler of Pebbles (地征竜-リアクタン) Three to get ready
Stream, Dragon Ruler of Droplets (水征竜-ストリーム) AND AWAYYY WE GO... wait, the big guys aren't on this list... well fuck
Spellbook of Judgment (魔導書の神判) Die in a fire

Newly Limited:
Brotherhood of the Fire Fist – Rooster (立炎星-トウケイ) Die in a fi- oh right, um... die in a water...? uh...? yeah.
Genex Ally Birdman (A・ジェネクス・バードマン) It was never really all that good and all it was really in were loops. That being said, if they were going to hit it for that alone, may as well just ban it because in all of those loops there was another card causing the problem.
Mermail Abyssteus (水精鱗-ディニクアビス) Called it. They had too many bosses and this one was the easiest to put out.
Wind-Up Shark (ゼンマイシャーク) What happened to the actual fuck?
Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier (氷結界の龍 トリシューラ) Everyone play infernities now.
Number 11: Big Eye (No.11 ビッグ・アイ) Fair enough. I'm more in the camp of saying it could be banned, but at least there won't be any more Big Eye wars.
Divine Wind of Mist Valley (霞の谷の神風) Hello, card causing the problem.
Super Rejuvenation (超再生能力) This hit probably will be done away with if the dragons remain relevant in any way. It isn't much without the dragon rulers, but it's still awful design.
Abyss-sphere (アビスフィアー) About damn time... wait, where is Dragoons...?

Newly Semi-Limited:
Gladiator Beast Bestiari (剣闘獣ベストロウリィ) Oh, okay. Well, I guess this is a good first start to getting you unlimited. If Gyzarus comes whalloping back, we can just ban IT next time.
Gorz the Emissary of Darkness (冥府の使者ゴーズ) ...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. YEAAHHHH. Yeah. You guys have fun with that.
Neo-Spacian Grand Mole (N・グラン・モール) Good.
Black Whirlwind (黒い旋風) Bad.
Fire Formation - Tenki Okay.
Chaos Sorcerer Good.

Newly Unlimited:
Tsukuyomi (月読命) Good
Wind-Up Magician (ゼンマイマジシャン) Already told you this was bad.
Advanced Ritual Art (高等儀式術) Uh... anyone like Herald and Demise?
E – Emergency Call (E-エマージェンシーコール) Good.
Pot of Duality (強欲で謙虚な壺) Good.
Scapegoat (スケープ・ゴート) AAAAMAAAAAAAAAAAAZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING. So... are we trying to make stall decks the thing now?
Mirror Force (聖なるバリア-ミラーフォース-) We are? Figures. Still hate this isn't at 1.
Reasoning That's fine.

IN SUMMARY:

Konami actually hit a ton of shit they just released and could make money off of if they didn't. So that's a good first step. ON THE OTHER HAND, you all now have to deal with 2 Gorz. You know what, there's a lot of dumb decisions in this banlist, but the result is absolutely a MUCH better format than the one before it.

Now all the game needs is for Konami to stop making broken cards... um... good luck with that?

LATER DUDES.

With Reasoning at 3 Dark Prophecies become a viable thing, being able to mill a ton and drop either Reaper, Destroyer (who on a correct call doesn't care), Wheel, or Fool. I love, love, love the idea of Scapegoat at 3. I've wanted it to be for the longest time so I could make my GoaTK deck come to fruition (Scapegoat + Token Stampede + United We Stand + 1 monster/Ookazi/Whatever). Or a Junk deck that uses Token Stampede and Scapegoat. Using Junk Synchron with 2 tokens for Junk Warrior  with Stampede out makes it 6300 damage (or do the same with Doppel Tokens for an OTK). Gorz at 2 makes me cry, as does Bestiari, Trishula coming back, and Emergency Call at 3.

Is it true that the banlist is being updated every 3 months from now on? any link to the source of this info?

Here are my comments on the september 2013 list, color coded for convencience, the color being relevant to my pleasure or displeasure at the change.

black means neutral

green means good

red means bad

purple means i have a love/hate relationship with the change

Newly Forbidden:
Burner, Dragon Ruler of Sparks (炎征竜-バーナー) Excellent way to force e-drags into being the elemantal support cards they were intended to be. this affects none of my decks
Lightning, Dragon Ruler of Drafts (風征竜-ライトニング) see above
Reactan, Dragon Ruler of Pebbles (地征竜-リアクタン) see above
Stream, Dragon Ruler of Droplets (水征竜-ストリーム) see above
Spellbook of Judgment (魔導書の神判) This will bring back spellbooks decks to the earth and make other decks competitive against them.

Newly Limited:
Brotherhood of the Fire Fist – Rooster (立炎星-トウケイ) I don't quite follow what crap gets spammed when fire fists play, anyway this has no effect on my decks
Genex Ally Birdman (A・ジェネクス・バードマン) This card has never given me trouble, I don't know why this got limited. I don't care either, it affects none of my decks.
Mermail Abyssteus (水精鱗-ディニクアビス) Konami has decided to kill the seachers, mermails should be balanced now.
Wind-Up Shark (ゼンマイシャーク) no comment
Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier (氷結界の龍 トリシューラ) I had a tag match yesterday, and this guy wished he could use trishula on us. With 1 card in the hand and 1 on the field, it would be GG had that happened. Instead we had a balanced match and they won. They didn't need trishula to win and trishula is just going to make certain decks OP now.
Number 11: Big Eye (No.11 ビッグ・アイ) With e-drag decks dead this will become a rarity. It is still however a 2600 ATK snatch steal and limiting it was the best thing to do..... for now.
Divine Wind of Mist Valley (霞の谷の神風) I've had trouble with tougher field cards than this.... doesn't affect me so i don't care though.
Super Rejuvenation (超再生能力) With e-drag decks killed, this didn't need a ban so making it limited is best.
Abyss-sphere (アビスフィアー) see the other abyss card

Newly Semi-Limited:
Gladiator Beast Bestiari (剣闘獣ベストロウリィ) gladiator decks haven't given me too much trouble, they run in and out of the deck all the time.
Gorz the Emissary of Darkness (冥府の使者ゴーズ) Quite possibly the worst change made. This hits my main deck hard as it is a OTK deck, it may even cause me to remove heavy storm from my deck and replace it with ways to search for royal decree (mask of darkness/gold sarco)
Neo-Spacian Grand Mole (N・グラン・モール) This is a great boon for me IRL as i have many grand moles. This will also increase the power of my 3 lesser used online decks. It will however cause trouble for my main deck.
Black Whirlwind (黒い旋風) What is this even?
Fire Formation - Tenki I like the change, but it should have been limited. It's not fair that ROTA is limited while this is only semi limited.
Chaos Sorcerer Without a doubt the best change on this list. This is going to make my main deck more powerful and more competent at dealing with machina fortress and grapha without having to side in macros first.

Newly Unlimited:
Tsukuyomi (月読命) Who cares?
Wind-Up Magician (ゼンマイマジシャン) I guess they swapped shark with magician. What this effectively does is completely change what wind up's can xyz. What it doesn't do is affect any of my decks.
Advanced Ritual Art (高等儀式術) more rituals, more variety doesn't affect my decks though.
E – Emergency Call (E-エマージェンシーコール) It hurts how useless e-heroes are, maybe this could help them be on the level again. I do wish neo space could be a thing.... maybe with this change and the semi limiting of grand mole it can become competitive.
Pot of Duality (強欲で謙虚な壺) not being able to special summon is a serious cost. no reason to have any limits on this card.
Scapegoat (スケープ・ゴート) What was konami thinking when they made this change? This could make childish stall decks tier 2 or even tier 1. Hopefully this will go back to being limited soon.
Mirror Force (聖なるバリア-ミラーフォース-) Whenever i attack without protection while there is a facedown on the opposite side, I always expect a mirror force. What this change means is that now it will always be a mirror force. That sucks for my main deck but can be useful for 2 other decks i have. With e-drags hit, I think mirror force will become too OP and I expect it to become semi limited again soon.
Reasoning Annoying, but not worth being on the list.

I personally dont see the need in having 4 banlists a year. 3 months isn't much time to even play around with new decks, and I doubt stupid things will be hit during these time.

I know they're trying to make the game more diverse, but this is just getting silly. Plus having 5 cards banned in 1 format should put shame on Konami

Or Kevin Tewart will be a twat and say TCG doesn't need 4 and will keep the current 2 list system.

He's already being a twat about it iirc and trying to argue against Rooster @1 because of how recently it was released

I personally dont see the need in having 4 banlists a year. 3 months isn't much time to even play around with new decks, and I doubt stupid things will be hit during these time.

I know they're trying to make the game more diverse, but this is just getting silly. Plus having 5 cards banned in 1 format should put shame on Konami

Yes, but they didn't kill Prophecy or Dragons with the new list. They simply hindered them. If they were to take this kind of limitation every time with the lists, then there would be no problems and no decks would die.

He's already being a twat about it iirc and trying to argue against Rooster @1 because of how recently it was released

Yes, but they didn't kill Prophecy or Dragons with the new list. They simply hindered them. If they were to take this kind of limitation every time with the lists, then there would be no problems and no decks would die.

Hooray for twats! \o/

Dam waiting for the 20th o_o, Hurry up already.

Obviously Worlds would have to be in place when the TCG and the OCG have a sane banlist, while the OCG has 2 rotations between our 1, I'm sure we will follow the changes in the latest OCG list at the time

Tbh that's Tewarts fault (on Rooster)for releasing the V Jump cards so late, they could've been in Cosmo Blazer, going with the Fire theme they had

Archived