Kill La Kill

Nicο

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put it this way, I've not watched anime for 2 and half years.

My friend came round my house watching Kill La Kill, he got me up to episode seven. I spent all of my free time watching it after that and had it finished within the week.

It was pretty amazing, I'll give you that.

Did anyone notice the small... 'hints' of pokemon references?

Put it this way, I've not watched anime for 2 and half years.

My friend came round my house watching Kill La Kill, he got me up to episode seven. I spent all of my free time watching it after that and had it finished within the week.

It was pretty amazing, I'll give you that.

Did anyone notice the small... 'hints' of pokemon references?

There was a shit ton of references to everything.

Yeah, the Life fibre synchronise/override reminded me a lot of the old digivolutions from Digimon, probably wasn't a reference, but it seem like it was...

When they put the girls transforming side by side, with their respective red and blue motifs, it was war greymon and metal garurumon

And Kisaragi looks like Gallantmon Crimson mode to a degree.

When they put the girls transforming side by side, with their respective red and blue motifs, it was war greymon and metal garurumon
And Kisaragi looks like Gallantmon Crimson mode to a degree.

In case you were not aware, the red oni and blue oni are a particularly common trope, especially in Japanese media.

The red oni (Ryuko) is more emotional, aggressive, hotheaded and prefers progression.
The blue oni (Satsuki) is calmer, more analytical, more serene and more traditionally-minded.

Examples are Lloyd (red) and Kratos (blue) from Tales of Symphonia, Takuto (red) and Sugata (blue) from Star Driver, clearly your Digimon example, even Goku (red) and Vegeta (blue) from DBZ, Taiga (red) and Ryuji (blue) from Toradora and Rei (blue) and Asuka (red) from NGE. One could even say Ash (red) and Gary (blue) fit this trope.

Linking it to Digimon using that trope would not work because it is purely separate from their evolutions and have no relevance to each other. Their red and blue motif is an independent one while their transformation is actually a reference to an anime totally unlike Digimon and more obscure.

I am sure you knew of the red and blue oni trope, but I am simply clarifying the use of it as something so broad that you can not make a particular conclusion off two examples.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The cast looks good, but I doubt it'll top the original.

Though Patrick Seitz as Gamagori seems absolutely perfect to me, I can't wait to hear how that sounds. Let's hope he does a SSUUUPEERRRR job.

Also, I want to hear how hilarious Matthew Mercer yelling Nudist Beach will be.

Dubs have been good for awhile now, I'd say early 2000s, maybe even late 90s. One of the first really good dubs I remember is Yu Yu Hakusho whose dub aired back in 2001, and that one's generally considered far superior to the sub from what I've seen. Inuyasha was also very well done and I don't think it was that much later.

Though I wouldn't consider this one superb, I give it a C+, maybe a B-.

• 3 months later...

Had to go digging for this thread...

[spoiler=So... the OVA]

A more thorough catharsis to the story was satisfying, considering that the "normal" final episode didn't really explain what was to happen after, simply showing a completely different world through some still images in the credits. This transitioned between the two points quite well, as well as showing how the Elite Four, as well as Satsuki, have evolved over the show, with each of them managing to take down their original Regalia using nothing but their own strength and experience. 

Houomaru showing up was nice, since I recall being dissatisfied with the original lack of... anything regarding her (I recall one of us saying she existed just to do things that would be out of character for Ragyo or Nui). Now she is a full-fledged character, with motivations, opinions, and ACTUAL RELEVANCE. 

Overall, I think that this OVA served its purpose beautifully (with the purpose being to make people that watched the show VERY happy).

[/spoiler]

Archived