Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V

I did like that it was a good excuse to release that Promo Tin. Machina Cannon was mine. =D

On topic.

So, anyone think its also a futuristic anime, or would it be cool to make it somewhat old school? 

I've always thought a medieval magic Yugioh would be interesting. Still, the futuristic approach suits it better.

I'll take the futuristic one. Not because I'd prefer one or the other necessarily, but because I don't trust at all in their ability to make it well.

So far they don't exactly have a history of keeping up loyal to what the cards are when presented in the IRL flavor of ancient games or real monsters invading.

DM had Kaiba, Yugi, and everyone else having the ancient games look hugely limited. Mostly 1 monster Summoned at a time from a tablet, and sometimes hinting at their abilities (which in the game are support S/T or monster effects) like Wall Shadow's wall-creeping making it hard to hit (3000 DEF). Though, overall it was pretty vague, and teamwork multi-Summoning combo strategies were never really a thing translated back then.

Vector vs Shark played in the past using face-down spells and traps, Xyz Summon, and a bunch of stuff that is possible nowadays in a cardgame because games evolve. Ancient battles evolving the same way in ancient times is not too believable. It ruins continuity like Pegagus not seeing Xyz Summoning back in the day, etc. Not to mention watching that game was embarrassing as hell....

In other happenings, we have incoherent things like Hope slicing through a dozen monsters when entering Zargasso, just because it's from a main character. Between those, Dark Jeroid(s) didn't display any weakening ability, Lord Poisons didn't bring anything in their stead, Des Gardius and Berserk Dragons were way stronger than Hope. It was just really badly made regarding flavor.

Why talking of flavor? Because a medieval show would most likely not represent Duel Monsters in the form of a card game, just like Pokemon doesn't revolve it's show around Levels and waiting turns for attacks, but rather real-life and real-time strategy with the abilities and resources around the characters. That's what I'd imagine a medieval character's "deck" would be like.

It's also even harder to translate if you assume that after a Duel, someone can pick up their deck and start again at some points, but in "ancient times" you can't exactly just walk away picking up a comrade from death.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They need the Next Series to have a female lead, with boobies, pink hair,  and have the target audience set back to where 5Ds put it.

And duel while Flying, because it's awesome.

And I really couldn't see Crow being evil. The series would not have been the same. And so what, Akiza didn't get enough face-time or development? I refer to an old post here, key word being "Competent Female Duelist." Even the characters that didn't duel dueled better than Akiza. Physic powers were cool though.

You mean like the girl in the far left of my signature?

Arc-V should do what Cardfight does and push the decks the company wants to sell IRL. People might actually be more receptive to "Broken Dragon archetype.dek" if the a major character uses them for a few episodes instead of the usually trash decks used in the series.

It's funny now that you mention it.

Yugioh is made to promote the product, yet the cards used there hardly reflect the IRL game at all with the power level. When something powerful appears in the show, it's usually a one of a kind card that nobody else in the world has, with some sort of mystlcal powers, or just a card that makes a small cameo there.

Then again, for Yugioh's competitive play, give them around 10,000 extra Life Points to the anime characters and we can do it xD

It's funny now that you mention it.

Yugioh is made to promote the product, yet the cards used there hardly reflect the IRL game at all with the power level. When something powerful appears in the show, it's usually a one of a kind card that nobody else in the world has, with some sort of mystlcal powers, or just a card that makes a small cameo there.

Then again, for Yugioh's competitive play, give them around 10,000 extra Life Points to the anime characters and we can do it xD

Which I don't really understand.

Why doesn't Yugioh actually show the cards they want to sell, and instead cram their booster packs and promos half-full with the crap cards from the show?

Which I don't really understand.

Why doesn't Yugioh actually show the cards they want to sell, and instead cram their booster packs and promos half-full with the crap cards from the show?

1) Business has any TCG cards require them to print filler. Making a master piece booster release every 3 months is nearly impossible for a long-lasting game xD

Which also doesn't mean they should ideally print so much trash. Saying trash is unavoidable is like saying that trash characters in videogames are as well. People tend to accept one more than the other somehow.

2) Supporting casual and competitive is different.

Though in my opinion, competitive breaks way too much, and casual gets way too crappy at times, so I'm not really satisfied on any level. So overall you could kinda technically say I'm saying the game sucks overall... I can't find interesting-enough stuff to look at, and what keeps me around is my researching of theories and stuff that could somehow show me that there can be better.

1) Business has any TCG cards require them to print filler. Making a master piece booster release every 3 months is nearly impossible for a long-lasting game xD

Which also doesn't mean they should ideally print so much trash. Saying trash is unavoidable is like saying that trash characters in videogames are as well. People tend to accept one more than the other somehow.

2) Supporting casual and competitive is different.

Though in my opinion, competitive breaks way too much, and casual gets way too crappy at times, so I'm not really satisfied on any level. So overall you could kinda technically say I'm saying the game sucks overall... I can't find interesting-enough stuff to look at, and what keeps me around is my researching of theories and stuff that could somehow show me that there can be better.

Which brings me to another problem with YGO.

Take a look at the discussion on this site.

Where does the line between Casual and Competitive begin?

Which brings me to another problem with YGO.

Take a look at the discussion on this site.

Where does the line between Casual and Competitive begin?

I'd ideally consider casual a deck that's viable and well... works, but is just harder for it to win against the top tier.

Though the way Yugioh operates, casual = trash or at least 90% of casual options tend to be that way.

Look for example, Dragon Rulers vs Mokey Mokey.

Yes there are better casual builds than Mokey Mokey, but Mokey Mokey is not just any random build that some noob put together. It's an actual theme the game meant for someone to play at some point.

I'd ideally consider casual a deck that's viable and well... works, but is just harder for it to win against the top tier.
Though the way Yugioh operates, casual = trash or at least 90% of casual options tend to be that way.
Look for example, Dragon Rulers vs Mokey Mokey.
Yes there are better casual builds than Mokey Mokey, but Mokey Mokey is not just any random build that some noob put together. It's an actual theme the game meant for someone to play at some point.

Then why does it seem like no one here ever discusses casual play?

Because there's nothing to aim for.

In casual play, things are so relaxed that having a proper theory disucssion about it turns it into some alike to competitive play. And if you want that, you might as well play competitively.

So what's the point of casual play if no one talks about it, and no one focuses on it?

Then why does it seem like no one here ever discusses casual play?

I made a post about that way back. Yugioh doesn't support casual play at all.

Yugioh had this really bad problem for the longest time, about how many of it's rules had technicalities that experienced players would often know and that many casual players tasting the game were just not willing to memorize.

You can just switch your monster back from my Book of Moon?

What do you mean my Dark Worlds don't revive? I discarded them by the effect Lightning Vortex!

Why isn't Card Destruction a cost then?

You are cheating, Summoned Skull is not an Archfiend!

What the hell is the Damage Step?

The show does it all the time, why can't I Summon in face-up Defense Position?

Banned cards? Do I have to remember those 50-ish cards?
Only one per deck!?

There's a list for 2 copies limit as well?

What's this inherent vs effect Special Summon crap?

With so much more going on in the list.

Add to it how the game keeps power-creeping, and leaving lots of older decks behind. Decks that players can still find and deem as legal to use, only to have their ass kicked hard at a tournament. There's also the archetype problem. Newer players wanna have the exitement of pulling something that might be useful from a pack, but when buying it, you find let's say... E HERO support, Crystal Beast support, GB, BW, LS, Wind-Up, and all those strategies that are pretty much build for you and that many don't really use. That's just wasted money right there. Experienced players mostly stay away from packs or downright buy in full boxes or even cases. 

It's almost certain that you wouldn't be able to read the manual and just learn how to play correctly by yourself. Also many disgusting situations will appear.

The game just doesn't catter to casual players. Even casual archetypes often have at least 1 ultra rare piece.

I'm not even talking about prices here.

I made a post about that way back. Yugioh doesn't support casual play at all.
Yugioh had this really bad problem for the longest time, about how many of it's rules had technicalities that experienced players would often know and that many casual players tasting the game were just not willing to memorize.
You can just switch your monster back from my Book of Moon?
What do you mean my Dark Worlds don't revive? I discarded them by the effect Lightning Vortex!
Why isn't Card Destruction a cost then?
You are cheating, Summoned Skull is not an Archfiend!
What the hell is the Damage Step?
The show does it all the time, why can't I Summon in face-up Defense Position?
Banned cards? Do I have to remember those 50-ish cards?
Only one per deck!?
There's a list for 2 copies limit as well?
What's this inherent vs effect Special Summon crap?

With so much more going on in the list.

Add to it how the game keeps power-creeping, and leaving lots of older decks behind. Decks that players can still find and deem as legal to use, only to have their ass kicked hard at a tournament. There's also the archetype problem. Newer players wanna have the exitement of pulling something that might be useful from a pack, but when buying it, you find let's say... E HERO support, Crystal Beast support, GB, BW, LS, Wind-Up, and all those strategies that are pretty much build for you and that many don't really use. That's just wasted money right there. Experienced players mostly stay away from packs or downright buy in full boxes or even cases. 

It's almost certain that you wouldn't be able to read the manual and just learn how to play correctly by yourself. Also many disgusting situations will appear.
The game just doesn't catter to casual players. Even casual archetypes often have at least 1 ultra rare piece.

I'm not even talking about prices here.

You forgot Staples.
Take any deck, and copy it.
Then remove any Staples and Semi-Staples from the copied deck, and add in archetype, Type, or Attribute-based equivalents.
Will the deck without the Staples win against the deck with the Staples?

Just noticed a bit more carefully how there's a literal arc doing down under the logo. Talking of extreme speed, that arc forming around the object moving can compress so much that it'd form a "V", which is an example of an extreme state..... suuuure.....

Sonic Rainboom FTW

On a more serious note:

That description of Yuya, looking at how we are talking about Yugioh, already gave me the shivers of this guy being something similar to Yuma. If it was mostly any other franchise that phrase would make for someone strong, but for yugioh he's probably gonna look like a laughing idiot with a hot head for dueling..... I hope I'm wrong.

OK, so Yuya basically just shrugs off what happens in life...by dueling.

IMO, that's kind of similar to what ZEXAL has going on right now with Yuma.

Come on Arc-V, we don't want another Yuma character for the next three years.

It's inevitable to think Yuma there.

Yuma did explicitly say that all dueling can sove all problems.

I get that the universe revolves around duels (pretty much), but come on Konami. That mentality doesn't make for a clever character at all.

"deals with the harsh facts of reality by laughing, and decides to deal with these problems by Dueling, giving him the power of infinite possibilities."

>Oh for the love of-...

If we get another Yuma-like character, the series is not going to be great. I hope the support cast actually does stuff rather than be cheerleaders like 90% of the time. I'll still give this series a chance though.

It's pretty amazing how those two lines could change so much this project's expectations.

It also sounds kinda awkward, with it them using "deal" twice in the same sentence and all. Maybe the employee that wrote it was decided by drawing the short stick or something.

Archived