Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@eptin: That's one of the reasons I'm iffy of ZEXAL; Yuma just acts like a crybaby at some points (the rest of the main characters like Shark/Kaito are good; I already mentioned in an earlier post that the rest of Yuma's friends suck and/or do nothing worth noting. Once ZEXAL ends, we'll forget about them)

I like Shark/Kaito way more than Yuma; they're much more mature.

I also think they might have these things we usually find in the anime in arc-v:

I also think that they are going to do something like:
In Yu-Gi-Oh: Champions, we have the story of our multicolored hair protagonist, whose goofy and friendly, looking to become the next ruler of Duel Monsters, and has Yu in their name. Goofy, idiotic best friend, or with a little of an opposite personality than the main character, with the great dueling skills.She/he, (yeah, I'm all about equal rights), will meet new friends and enemies, then save the world from an ancient spirit-like being. She/he will meet him/her 2 rivals, 1 who is a jerk, and another, who is; calm, collected, cold, calculating, doesn't talk much, cares deeply for their younger, wears a badass coat, has a 3000 ATK dragon that rivals the protagonist 2500 Atker, and has a greater # of female fans than the main character. They'll have their 2 or more pseudo-love interest, that people will want to hook up with one of them, but will never happen because the creators will want to tease us. 

I would like it if they do it like:
Yu: has a deck to summon any extra deck monsters that also can summon other extra deck monsters in wide variety of ranges.
The rest of the characters has a deck to summon either 1 or 2 types of extra deck mons.
Example: 1 of Yu's rival has a deck to summon Rituals easier while the other has a deck to summon Synchros.

If they would do a female protagonist, it might end up like Legend of Korra, where romance spews of the screen. The first did have romance just not like Korra did, where it's more pronounced, and seems to satisfy and give the female fanbase what they want, romance!

I also remember a person on a forum saying something like this: 
Yugioh: Teenage main character turns to an adult ancient spirit with amnesia.
GX: Teenage hero with powers from the darkness.
5Ds: Adult protagonist with a dragon and warrior fetish.
ZeXal: Adolescent dueling with an extra-dimensional spirit that has amnesia. 
Adolescent being close to the target audience.

Stuff we usually find in the animes; I think I missed 1 thing.
I also saw on another forum that one of the main female in each show, their names start with a. ex: aki, alexis, anzu; but ZeXal kinda broke the pattern.

I also wish they focus on these monsters more:

What about Armor monsters? They seem like an interesting concept. 
I just hope that they instead use a new spell/trap card mechanic instead of monster. I'd like it if they revisit fusing monsters with traps/spells or they might make a monster that requires a specific one, like Yasushi. They could also look back on a card like Critias to do it.

I really wish they could go back and give a little more there. I think they should also make some evolutions of Fusions and Rituals, like they did Xyzs and Synchros.
Those are only suggestions I came up with back then. 

I still don't get why all of you hate Zexal like that...

Also; the fast he has a card in his left hand doesn't make him left-handed. 

Not everyone does, to be fair.

Though, I'm among the ones that dropped it out of dislike and annoyance so I have a some things to say here about that.

And no, it's not that I "didn't give the show a chance", I've watched roughly 120+ episodes, so I only missed around 3 weeks of episodes.

That said, allow me to recall a few things.

[spoiler=Here]

It's good to have an Ace, but the series started as a Number hunt, so I thought it was really cool that the main character got to assemble his Extra Deck as the series goes. That way the show could eventually use some pretty potentially epic chekov's guns, and if the show DID end up following the real life game, Yuma would at least be shown thinking about those 15 slots.

What do we get? Utopia appears, and Utopia stays. Yuma brings out Utopia way too excessively and neglects the other Numbers. 17 appeared around three times, mothe*f****ng Terabyte is the third most commonly played Number. Other more useful Numbers that are actually easier to bring out like Volcasaurus only appeared the one time they wouldn't have been useful. Plus, I can see why the first Utopia Ray was the only Chaos Xyz, talking about a particular link to the show, but once Rank-Up Magics started appearing, Yuma had no excuse. Black Mist had to go on and Rank-Up some of Yuma's Numbers instead.

Speaking of, what's with the weird setting of Yuma's Extra Deck? He assembles a deck made solely around Xyz Summoning, and uses only that for years without a single Xyz. He makes it clear that Xyzs have existed for quite some time in his universe, but they must be very rare if he's been playing for years and doesn't have a single one. All of a sudden non-Number Xyzs start appearing in his deck. 3 Djinn Xyz Monsters, Gagaga Gunman, and Gaunlet Launcher. He didn't do anything to obtain them whatsoever, what the hell? There are theories that he got them at the dojo, but nothing about them suggests those follow any sort of pattern to what the dojo would have had, and if the show didn't talk about it, then it's a hole.

Females suck. A show that's well made needs to make me not care if a character is male or female, but Yugioh really makes females more and more crappy every time, so I can't help but notice. Kathy was promising at first, but from the moment she joined the group, she degenerated into being hostile towards Kotori and nothing more. Heck they don't even treat it seriously at all since they just do indirect stuff on the background. She is a joke. She had potential but the show instead of using the group that took them 9 episodes to assemble, decide to make them all chearleaders and instead use the other characters that appear later on.

Anna shouldn't exist. She's just there because she has boobies and they needed a tsundere to complete the Yuma harem. The way she was first presented and  forced into it from the silliest confusion and downright criminal actions, still ticks me off. They tried to justify her at the Duel Carnival finals by helping Yuma, but Gauche was also there, and he was enough for the job of helping out

Rio is cool, though my main complain on her is how unrealistically good she was at every sport. I mean, all those club captains working everyday towards doing their hobby the best they could and being the top of their school doesn't count at all right? Leave it to the person that clearly doesn't practice any of those things and just came out from being in a hospital bed for half a year. That totally happens right? As an extra complain, all she did was beat them and demonstrate how good she is, yet all the guys all of a sudden call her a delinquent, a female version of her brother, and who knows what other things. I mean, are girls not allowed to be good in this universe? And Yuma is an a$$hole by calling her "Shark's sister". She's saved him in the past and got to be around him for a while. Nah better make Shingetsu (vector) "best friend" in the most forced way you could, right?

Kotori is just fanservice. Couldn't they have made their fanservice character a bit more useful? She doesn't make sense. Why does she hang out with Yuma and Tetsuo? They've been together for years, yet, their friendship revolves around playing card games. They even show you that Yuma met Tetsuo because Tetsuo was Yuma's bully, that eventually bullied him so often without Yuma caring that it pretty much turned into "hanging out" at some point.

Ok I can see why does two. Now what about Kotori? Why is she with them if all they do is duel everyday. She clearly has female friends, and she clearly knows nothing about how the game is played. She even asked Rio if she could teach her. I mean, what's her youth been like for the past YEARS that she's been watching a hobby she doesn't care about enough to understand at this point? If she was interested, she should have learned and started played with Yuma and Tetsuo years ago, if not she should have not been there when the story started.

Yuma doesn't even care about her enough. When Shingetsu was "kidnapped by Vector", Yuma would not stop repeating his name in desperation and crying. When Kotori was drugged and kidnapped by the first of Hearland's minions, along with the rest of Yuma's friends, Yuma turned his head to see them, probably put an angry expression somewhere, and then turned back to start the duel in the "HmmK~ let's get down to business" manner.  We are talking about a guy that met Yuma probably that month and just follows him around in a somewhat forced manner, VS Yuma's two childhood friends with other 3 really close classmates added on the mix.

Yuma is an idiot, btw. The creators made him that way so he could grow, but despite being "bad" he barely lost any on-screen games other than his second game with Shark. Then due to his personality, instead of coming with some clever combo like the other generation main characters would have, instead he is given OTKs.

I also don't like the game's direction in the show. There's a lot of negating effects (Numeron Force, Neo Galaxy Eyes, Numbers 107, 106, 104, C92, 69, 08, ZW Unicorn Spear, and other cards here and there. Some of which just negate everything face-up. They have to resort to those effects because they can't take down Utopia and Photon Dragon otherwise, which says a lot about them thinking ahead when they made it this way. Then Yuma make a lot of asspulls. ZW cards would have been nicer if he did get to use them again and they didn't turn into more and more awkwardly fitting solutions for his problems. I think he SHOULD lose those duels because he wasn't prepared for them and had to create cards mid-duel to get out of the pinch. I'm the type of fan that enjoys the deck-building aspect of the game, which he doesn't need to worry about because he has those Shining Draws. It also doesn't help build up exitement at all since we pretty much know he's gonna end the duel with something he'll create just for that one occation. 

Yuma's moment of "I'll cry myself to sleep" after Astral went to his world just showed how much Yuma had grown for real. He should have changed enough to not go that route. To think he had to be helped by former enemies and a filler group of villains doing villain-stuff, and could not have gone over it on his own, doesn't show the importance of friendship, it shows how weak he still was. There was no initiative on his part to look for Astral.

One more point. ZeXal II was very repetitive with Gilag hiding in the shadows and using infinite amounts of "Rank-up magic" on random citizens. Seriously it's like the writers wanted to see if they could get away with extending the show that way. Nothing moved anywhere at that point. Yes the Vector reveal was good, but only Vector was good in there. As much as I enjoyed his reveal, it wasn't a HUUUGE plot-twist to the public either, and I don't think it was a worth exchange for months of fillery-looking episodes of Gilag brainwashing people.

[/spoiler]

For those bits I disliked and many more.

I'm just clarifying why I dropped it though, can't speak for anyone else really, and there are people that like it so, w/e.

I personally think it IS a low quality show beyond just my taste, but that's just me.

I also saw on another forum that one of the main female in each show, their names start with a. ex: aki, alexis, anzu; but ZeXal kinda broke the pattern.

Yeah, Anzu (Tea) / Asuka (Alexis) / Aki(za) / (Ko)tori.

But I do agree with Sleepy on some of the points she pointed out. (Too many Utopia evolutions and not enough exposure of the other Numbers, especially when some would've proven better choices in situations)

I probably have a compilation of rants about Zexal's flaws, whether it be the worthlessness of the side characters, the obsession with Utopia over other Numbers, how some comeback wins are blatantly dumb, how card choices are often flawed when previously established cards do the same thing, a weird obsession with negation effects and/or burn damage, etc.

The fact ass-pulling a win is a plot device is not endearing. Zexal and Shining Draws is EXPLICITLY creating cards out of nowhere that perfectly breaks you out of that specific situation, and those cards are never used again.

The only thing particularly likeable about Yuma is his passion. Not his hotheadedness, but the emotional, passionate monologues he goes on sometimes. Especially since I watch subs, I'm very fond of how some voice actors handle it. Crow's voice actor in 5Ds was also amazing at it, especially in the Duel with Granel when he nearly broke down, realizing he couldn't do anything. Yuma's character has a ton of passionate rants, but just as many stupid outbursts of temper.

But I still enjoyed Zexal. I was a little tentative when the series debuted, but it toned down some of the distracting over-the-top elements and I got used to the others. Same with 5Ds and the Riding Duels concept. So I'm interested to see what the next series brings.

There was plenty wrong with the series, but something that could've made it better would have been the ADK dub.

With Johnny Young Bosch as Yuma...

Vic Mignogna as Shark...

And many other VA vets.

http://yamimario.tumblr.com/post/37713452084/the-clips-of-the-lost-zexal-dub-edited-to-sync

@All the comments about disliking Zexal.

I don't dislike Zexal because it's "childish." In fact, I was open-minded to the series. Though, more out of the fact that I grew over the course of 2010 to hate 5D's for it's boring characters, pointless filler episodes and clip shows, and obnoxious attempt to ripoff a good story like The Terminator. After the dragged out final arc which centers around dropping a city on another city, which has been done to far greater effect in the Gundam franchise, I was willing to take anything. I was amazed at much better Zexal looked visually than the previous show. But, after all the OMG CGI FINISHERS, the show leaves a bad aftertaste.

The show's initial story is collecting the Number monsters to save the world. "Gotta catch em' all" stories are the worst kind of story you can ever write, and it's made worse in Zexal by the fact that a majority of the Numbers, especially Gold Rat, are really harmless garbage. The tournament arc is the only highlight of the series, and it wasn't as fun as Duelist Kingdom.

Then, there's the second season-I mean, Zexal 2...actually, this is a season 2. The show is boring as crap. I stopped watching right after Yuma got Utopia Victory, or whatever that card was. Between that episode, and the start of season 2, it was like watching a barrage of Sailor Moon filler episodes in a row. Then, they ignore the remaining unrevealed original hundred Numbers and introduce new Numbers. The Numbers really only exist now to let us know a character matters.

After watching the latest episode of Cardfight Vanguard a few weeks back, I decided to watch Zexal again, out of curiosity. The Cardfight anime tends to be better-paced than Yugioh, and the games, especially in recent episodes often end within 10 minutes in the same episode (they now speed through the early turn and show the late game in full), and it always feels like something happens every episode, story-wise or just fun stuff, even in filler episodes. Watching Zexal for the first time in months right after watching an episode, I get 20 full minutes of that Rio girl that people apparently likes, some guy, and Yuma's ex-Jesse summoning Numbers, which at this point, all look the same to me; just a bunch of shapes snapped together with lights. It wasn't subbed, but I've never cared for Zexal's dialogue. But, anyway, the entire episode was "summon my Number that makes me relevant to the show, burn damage, heal, talk about stuff, burn damage, burn damage, talk about stuff, cliffhanger promising more of what I just saw." A week later, after that week's Vanguard, I watched the second part, and reaching the end of episode, I already knew that ex-Jesse survived that big explosion. You know, that same twist that's been used since Battle City.

But, I guess that's my big issue with Zexal. Having watched previous Yugioh series, Zexal is a lifeless, special effects spectacle. Heck, the background is just as vapid and boring. It's just there, and no track ever stands out. Yuma doesn't even get a distinct, real theme like his predecessors, not even something as catchy as Jaden's theme.

Concerning Yuma, in a card anime, I've found that a growing protagonist (...or Shobu) is more fun to watch than Gary Stus like Yugi and Yusei. In Cardfight, Aichi is new to the game, like the viewers might be, and unlike Yuma, Aichi loses several games in the early episodes due to things like misplays (teaching the viewers how not to play, basically,) accepts it, dusts himself off, and tries to learn from it. The writers for Yugioh consistently write themselves into a corner by putting the protagonist in a situation where losing isn't an option, so a growing character like Joey or Yuma always has to be able to win against better players until that one episode they loses, where afterwards, they never bothers to analyze their misplays and learn from them, which is a bad message to viewers learning the game. Growing characters, when written well (as in they learn more about the game, and become more competent), can be relatable to new viewers who are interested in the game. Yuma, on the other hand, is just a cheater who runs a pile of random trash cards to summon bosses a person on the outside magically gives him, and wins 99% of the time.

Yeah, we thought Kazuki said 5Ds would be the last one, but then ZEXAL was born and now Arc-V in another four months. (I'm just surprised they can keep this up for another 3-4 years; the idea of a series after this one is still viable, but not going to say anything about that until near the end of this one [provided I still care for the franchise by then])

As for ZEXAL as a series, I don't hate it as a whole, contrary to what I said in earlier posts. But Yuma's behavior among other things (Xyz spam, Shining Draws; creating cards out of nowhere to make comeback wins in a severe losing situation, extreme use of Hope and evolutions in situations where another Number/Xyz would've been a much better option), coupled with the uselessness of most, if not all his friends, undermine the show's value. Even some of the minor characters did more than ALL of them combined.

I actually wouldn't mind a revamped Level-Up concept of monsters actually

We haven't seen any more of them since Cyberdark Impact back in 2006, so that should be interesting.

Even if at the start we get a good female lead, I'll still take it with a grain of salt. Aki was good at first, but got replaced the moment Crow started existing.

Which is one of the reasons I hate Crow.

Did you know that Crow was supposed to be the Big Bad of the Dark Signer Arc?
But, because Blackwings became so popular, he was switched out for Rex instead, and became part of the main cast, taking away from Aki.

Which is one of the reasons I hate Crow.

Did you know that Crow was supposed to be the Big Bad of the Dark Signer Arc?
But, because Blackwings became so popular, he was switched out for Rex instead, and became part of the main cast, taking away from Aki.

Yeah I would have loved to see 5Ds do that.

Have Aki be relevant during all the duration of the series, having the monkey dark signer actually have a backstory shown, showing what Godwin's actual intended purpose was, not making all dark signers suddenly pop out of nowhere and say "we challenge you to the final battle since we suddenly are all reunited even though there were no real previous clues saying the dark signers were working as a group (all of them seemed stand-alone enemies with their own personal agenda, except for Misty with Carly)." Ruka would have probably gotten Ancient Fairy in a different way, Rua would have gotten Life-Stream Dragon during that arc, and Divine would have probably actually done something with the "psychic duelists in society wage war" sub-plot that rather than having been stopped seemed like it was just dropped, and maybe then he would have been more memorable. Not to mention his existence helped Aki have more of a relevant purpose, for better or worse.

Oh, and BF Dragon would have not existed, so all signer dragons would actually be 5Ds and have each their own distinct Attribute instead of repeating DARK twice and neglecting WATER altogether.

EDIT:
Oh and almost forgot, very important:

Yusei would not have dueled so many times in a row (Kiryu, Spider guy, Godwin). Assuming there were 5 dark signers + leader vs 5 signers. It means Crow replacing Boomer, Rua and Ruka having each their own opponent, and then Yusei only dueling maybe a second time alone or a second time teaming up with Jack and maybe Aki. 

What would the pair ups have been like? Probably something along the lines of:
Yusei vs Kiryu, Aki vs Misty, Jack vs Carly, Monkey guy vs Ruka, Spider guy vs Rua (regular helper vs apparent final boss would have been pretty epic IMO), Then Yusei, vs Crow for the final. The Condor Earthbound would have suited it well enough.

They need the Next Series to have a female lead, with boobies, pink hair,  and have the target audience set back to where 5Ds put it.

And duel while Flying, because it's awesome.

And I really couldn't see Crow being evil. The series would not have been the same. And so what, Akiza didn't get enough face-time or development? I refer to an old post here, key word being "Competent Female Duelist." Even the characters that didn't duel dueled better than Akiza. Physic powers were cool though.

I'm not up to date either, but I keep up with what's happening though.

I did like that it was a good excuse to release that Promo Tin. Machina Cannon was mine. =D

On topic.

So, anyone think its also a futuristic anime, or would it be cool to make it somewhat old school? 

I've always thought a medieval magic Yugioh would be interesting. Still, the futuristic approach suits it better.

Archived