Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V

If he's using Dueling to escape his problems, then that might be setup for serious character development, but it'd need actually good writers to make it happen.  Basically what I'm saying is that that one statement could be a very good premise for this guy if it's done properly, but since it's Yu-Gi-Oh!, I'm not sure it will be.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got more of a Yusei feel than a Yuma feel from those lines. Yuma doesn't Duel to deal with problems, he Duels because he wants to, and he believes you get to know people's true feelings through Duels. It seems more like a Yusei trait, with the harsh reality bit, but unlike Yusei, he'd be less stoic.

Adding to it, Yusei's philosophy was more about friendship and bonds, with an emphasis on nothing deserving to be discarded like trash. Yuma was about overcoming obstacles by never giving in, no matter how often failure happened.

I got more of a Yusei feel than a Yuma feel from those lines. Yuma doesn't Duel to deal with problems, he Duels because he wants to, and he believes you get to know people's true feelings through Duels. It seems more like a Yusei trait, with the harsh reality bit, but unlike Yusei, he'd be less stoic.

That's exactly what some persons have speculated. 

Well, while taking a stroll on DNF, I found this supposed new leak of information of the newest Synchro/Xyz/Fusion-esque gimmick. The person who quoted it gave no reliable source, and from the looks up it you can see it's fake. But I did supply my 2 cents so Imma show it anyways along with my reply:

[spoiler=Arc-V Newest Extra Deck Summon?]

Yugioh arc V will introduce Superior cards!  These are red-plated cards that unlike Synchros and Exceeds have nothing to do with monster Levels. Superior Cards are just like the Burst Mode in Digimon or Mega Evolution in Pokemon XY. These cards have no Level nor Rank but get additional power-ups! This Power Up is what we are going to call "Enhanced Ability", that is written in replace of the card's effects. In short, it changes the monster's effect!

• How do Superior Cards look like?

Superior Cards are red plated cards that are going to place in our Extra Deck. They are the Mega Evolution of our monsters. However, only selected monsters will recieve Superior Form as of now. The artwork in a Superior Card covers the entire body/border of the card. Yeah, pretty much like Pokemon Ex Card huh? Thats not all, monsters in Superior Form gain an additonal 1000 ATK and DEF!

• Can all types of monsters receive a Superior Form?

Yes -- whether it be a Normal, Effect, Fusions, Synchro, Ritual, or Exceed, they can all undergo Superior Change! It all depends on if those monsters have an available Superior Form.

• How can we play the Superior Cards?

You just put the Superior Card on top of your monster. Let's say -- you have a Dark Magician and you have a Superior Dark Magician in your Extra Deck; simply put the Superior Dark Magician on top of your regular Dark Magician. Superior Change is NOT treated as "summoning". Hence, your opponent cannot negate your monster while undergoing in Superior Change.

This all just seems too fishy. Particularly the way they describe their approach and what does that mean for the cards thesmelves.

First off, they're already basing themselves off Pokemon's brand new Mega Evolution, while also saying the art covers the whole card like a Pokemon card. Something like that ruins the basic design of a Yugioh card and turns it into a likeliness of a Vanguard card. They did say that it will be red-plated that will cover the entire card and border. And with the "Enhanced Ability" portion...there really is nothing special about that OCG edit but to make it even more less in appearance with old Yugioh cards. Finally the 1000 ATK/DEF mechanic doesn't really sound right at all if it has to exactly be that factor even if it needs to gain any power at all.

They also say Superior change can work on any card, but I wonder how that can contrast with older cards...overall it seems somewhat of a cool idea but in truth it's very premature. Seeing there's no appropriate source, then the article can easily be called bogus. Besides, Konami isn't too stupid to reveal too much of this info. If they were, they'd include a sneak peek card as an exemplar and NOT mention their rival companies at all. Yup, totally false, but it does retain some possible ideas. After all, Chaos Exceed Change/RUM and Assault Mode activate is no different from this.[/spoiler]

On track with the current discussion, I really feel like the protagonist would have to fall somewhere with a stoic personality, but he won't likely be another Yuma again...no way at all. I do feel that he'll appear to have some combining qualities of Jaden's laid back and cheerful nature along with the diligence/vigor as Yugi/Yami. It seems very strange how it said Yuya deals with the harshness of reality by laughing, but I feel he's had quite some past behind him and wants to open up to others by dueling.

Evolution would be getting more and more effortless with every passing generation:

5Ds: I have made my Synchro Monster. Now I'll make another one so I can tune both into my Accel Synchro.

ZeXal: I have made my Xyz Monster. K CHAOS XYZ CHANGE!!! No extra effort.

The supposed new way: I have any monster w/e. SUPERIOR MODE COME TO ME!!! No extra effort and you can't counter this one.

3 years from now: I can just call from my Extra Deck. No hand or field needed whatsoever.

I'm calling BS on this supposed new way of summoning especially since the next starter deck will have no extra deck, so it's assumed we're getting a new main deck mechanic.

However, the Starter Deck will be like the one from last year, with additional cards in special booster packs.
The Extra Deck cards could be there, for all we know.

Oh that's not even a dilema here, it's definitely fake xD
but I could see Konami cooking up something similar to that, only not exactly like that.

The idea of using materials with a certain amount of ATK instead of measuring Levels is an interesting one. Making the new potential evolution not have any costs or conditions apart from that one material is just silly though. There must be something else to these things, be it miscellaneous "follow w/e instructions the card says"  or additional materials, but it can't just be "k grown now!".

Or... it could be something like my *cough cough* mechanic for my contest *cough*

However, the Starter Deck will be like the one from last year, with additional cards in special booster packs.
The Extra Deck cards could be there, for all we know.

There's also the possiblity that no extra deck cards exist in the enhancement pack though. Besides, I'm with Barty, I'm assuming it's fake until such a mechanic is confirmed.

It's spreading.

Winged Kuriboh has really let himself go.

About the next protag in the sixth yu-gi-oh series, she should have the body structure of the girl in the far left of my signature, The brains of Yugi and Yusei, the fighting spirit of Jaden and Yuma, serious athletic skill, a duel flyer that works on land, in the air and underwater, be named Yuki and, the clincher, be voiced by Lisa Ortiz.

About the next protag in the sixth yu-gi-oh series, she should have the body structure of the girl in the far left of my signature, The brains of Yugi and Yusei, the fighting spirit of Jaden and Yuma, serious athletic skill, a duel flyer that works on land, in the air and underwater, be named Yuki and, the clincher, be voiced by Lisa Ortiz.

The name can't be. Yuki Judai (Jaden Yuki) says the name has already been used.

As for what you are saying, that sounds way too perfect for a character. I'd prefer it more flawed somewhere, but that's just me.

The name can't be. Yuki Judai (Jaden Yuki) says the name has already been used.

As for what you are saying, that sounds way too perfect for a character. I'd prefer it more flawed somewhere, but that's just me.

The name will be Yukino Miyami and what's wromg with that. She'll be compotent but even she will know her limits.

That sounds more like the ideal waifu than a Yu-Gi-Oh! protagonist.

Something so specific that fits your fantasies deserves to be in the fanfiction domain than what's ideal for Yugioh so far. She's gotta have an original personality with its own strenghts/weaknesses; I think we already got that culmination in Yuma already.

The name will be Yukino Miyami and what's wromg with that. She'll be compotent but even she will know her limits.

It's called Mary Sue.

She'll have the perfect body, personality, cool technology, be incredibly clever and intelligent, and be in perfect shape to be considered gifted at sports and other physical activities. Where do you go from there if that's the start of it all?

We need a character that can grow over the course of the series.

I don't even care if it starts as incompetent as Yuma did, but the growth has to be done well as well. So far, I don't see much of Yuma's growth looking at how he became a crybaby again in ZeXal II a couple times. He does not take real despair times too well even if he is more powerful at card games (and he cheats).

Anyways, I'm getting side-tracked here.

The character can start as incompetent as Yuma (don't be confused, I'm not talking about the same personality at all). And should be placed in a setting where the main character is allowed to lose and get either meaningful lessons or a few tips and strategies out of it.

They can eventually get their "shonen hero saves the world" arc, but the generation NEEDS to have some solid base where the character grows and gets to become more worthy of a main character role.

Or at least, that's what I'm hoping Utopia-ing to see. 

*shot for this last bad joke*

Yeah.

Even Rua from 5Ds took despair better than Yuma and hell, he actually DIED fighting against it. That being said, his character actually grew over the course of one or two seasons: naive at the beginning, then grew up to a decent character at the end of Season 2/start of Season 3 [even if he was supporting]); more than what Yuma's shown over 135 episodes. Heck, even Ruka had more character development than every one of Yuma's friends combined (and she rarely dueled).

Putting the reference to 5Ds aside, although we'd like to see a character who's already good at certain stuff at the start, there's not much we can do about making them develop over 130-140+ episodes (unless we have them spiraling towards destruction or something at the finale).

With that said, just hope Yuya is a decent protagonist who won't bore/enrage us and is worth dealing with until 2017 or something.

Archived