Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyways, time for theories.

"Pendulum" was what the Duel disk said. This pretty much might be the "arc" the series tittle talks about.

Do you think this will be time-related? What if this turns out to be the last anime of Yugioh just like Digimon had it's time-traveling last arc?

Btw, I've been pronouncing it as "arc- vii" all this time, hearing "arc- five" sounds less cool IMO. Hopefully I'll get used to it.....

What I don't really like about GX and ZeXal were that the shows tend to be lighthearted at first, but then they realize that Yugioh works better with darker undertones, and they always revert back to that in the later season. This seems the way that Arc-V will go as well which makes me a little disappointed. I really liked how DM and 5Ds really brought on the darker storylines right from the get go, and felt that there was no bullshit. GX had a really great 3rd and 4th season, while ZeXal didn't really pick up until WDC

Didn't really care about the show being dark or light-hearted to be honest. I just wanted a likable protagonist who don't bullshit his way to victory and a well (or at least decent) written plot, setting, and characters. I'm not watching an anime just to see the main character winning all the time, the lead female just being there as a damsel (in distress), and the villain being the only competent entity in the show. Fuck, they can make it a light heartened show for kids as long as they actually write it well.

I still have hopes for this series, but every update seems to lower them.

The most notable issue we'd have from an everyday hobby anime, is that a normal character wouldn't really be grouped with the other series' heroes anymore. Since Yugioh has 4 series behind it, it's a bit more risky to establish a new formula in front of the already existing fan-base.  Which is not something that Vanguard had to deal with (which Vanguard does have a bit of the "saving the world" element in the back, but still).

Though there are successful examples of taking that risk. I've recently been catching up in Gundam Build Fighters, and it's essentially that. They have a ton of generations behind them that include saving the world, the universe, and having epic fights with giant mechas all over the place. The newest Gundam reincarnation is about fighting with gundam models (toys) as a hobby. I don't know what their public reception is, but so far I'm enjoying it a lot.

There's a lot of stuff that's being done well so far. Most characters have their "normal person" casual moments and laughs regardless of how much of a threat their skill represents to the main characters. The main characters are teamed up in a way that makes sense. One is an excellent builder and the other one is an innate fighter. Which in this universe helps both being able to focus on their specialty instead of being one protagonist just getting to become the best at anything and everything. Even in the top, there's not absolute perfection or god-level stuff from BS situations. Which does not mean they don't have challenges to overcome.

Somehow, even though Astral and Yuma in ZeXal were meant to complement each other and receive mutual help like this, I feel something's lacking...

That said, I'm all for a casual setting.

I'm actually on for any kind of setting if they can execute it well, which is what worries me, their skill as writers.

Even with the new updates pushing this towards another incarnation of Yuma at the moment, I'll still give Arc-V a couple episodes to judge whether or not I'll stay with it or just go back and watch 5Ds or some other anime.

That being said, it'll depend on a couple things.

1) Yuya should have a likable personality and should be able to duel at a decent level (he can lose, but he had better learn from those losses and improve). [This means not resorting to summoning your ace monster in a situation where something else would be a better option.]

The same applies to any friends he might have for the duration of this series (actually duel in the series and not be a repeat of Kotori or some other support characters in previous series)

2) Storyline is written well and doesn't pull any BS moments. While I'd like to see a return to the trend DM and 5Ds have set (Both had relatively "dark" plotlines from the beginning), I won't mind too much if it takes a similar vibe to ZEXAL at the start; light-hearted and other things.

Provided though, they cut down (if not eliminate) plot-device ass-draws (i.e. Yuma creating ZW monsters that he only uses once and never again afterwards)

That being said, the expectations for this new series are still high. Hopefully the writers can meet up to them for the next couple years, otherwise the series will go downhill rapidly if it isn't already doing so.

The main character should be realistic.

20 something in his mom's basement.

But yeah, woo hoo, good personality and all that crap. As long as its realistic.

This series lost me at hippos.

Also, what was said earlier 

"Didn't really care about the show being dark or light-hearted to be honest. I just wanted a likable protagonist who don't (word omitted) his way to victory and a well (or at least decent) written plot, setting, and characters. They can make it a light heartened show for kids as long as they actually write it well."

This exactly. You don't have to win every game, just don't bull crap.

• 3 months later...

They should go right back to Ancient Egypt, set it there and make it all magicky again - maybe some time-travelling in there to implement technology into the ancient world (and maybe explain the pyramids!). Go right back to the Unnamed Pharaoh's and Priest Seto's origins, rise to power and let them defeat of all those vaguely imagined enemies that were mentioned in the original series. They should chronicle the obstacles he had on the way to taking the throne - maybe an evil Pharaoh is ruling Egypt, and Yami has to take it back? And go deeper into how exactly he was trapped in the Puzzle.

It would be fun to see monsters in carved stone shells rising from the ground, then breaking the rocky armour to reveal themselves, and also no Xyz/Synchro, just Rituals and Fusions and maybe a new "Break Summoning" mechanic, where you can Special Summon a powerful monster easily, but its effects are negated/can't attack, etc. and you have to fulfil certain conditions to "break" it from its trapped stone state - something I think would fit in the continuity and setting very well, with all these stone tablets rising from the ground in the flashbacks.

The creators are going too far into the future with each new series, and Dueling is evolving into an entirely different animal - all part of the fun, yes, but sometimes it's good to let all the technology/spacey stuff rest for a while and go back to basics.

I might make a fanfic on all of this! 

Archived