The Command Tower (EDH Hangout)

bury the year

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Copy/pasted from my thread in Other TCG Decks. Posting here to increase likelihood that I'll get some feedback

I posted a few days ago about making an Iroas EDH deck and this is what I cam up with. This isn't a high priority to complete any time soon, but I started putting it together in my head so I figured I might as well run with it. Could certainly use a little more work, but I think this is a good starting point for the build.

Jqg8BkZ.jpg

y9j1qPu.jpg

As always, click on the picture in enlarge.

Also, since I'm going to need to buy a lot of these and I want to price check them to make sure nothing is TOO expensive (I don't go above $10 unless the card is really important for the deck like Sword) I'm going to need to write up a list of most the cards anyway. So, have the deck list too.

[spoiler=Deck List]

Commander

Iroas, God of Victory

Creatures (25)

Gisela, Blade of Goldnight

Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite

Emeria Shepherd

Sun Titan

Godo, Bandit Warlord

Hellkite Charger

Scourge of the Throne

Aurelia, the Warleader

Angelic Skirmisher

Urabrask the Hidden

Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer

Balefire Liege

Nobilis of War

Stonehewer Giant

Hero of Bladehold

Odric, Master Tactician

Archangel of Tithes

Purphoros, God of the Forge

Heliod, God of the Sun

Marton Stromgald

Angelic Field Marshal

Brimaz, the King of Oreskos

Mentor of the Meek

Stoneforge Mystic

Grand Abolisher

Planeswalkers (7)

Elspeth, Sun's Champion

Nahiri, the Lithomancer

Elspeth Tirel

Elspeth, Knight-Errant

Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

Chandra, Pyromaster

Ajani, Caller of the Pride

Enchantments (10)

True Conviction

Martyr's Bond

Berserkers' Onslaught

Gratuitous Violence

Outpost Siege

Marshal's Anthem

Unquestioned Authority

Goblin Trenches

Aggravated Assault

Oblivion Ring

Artifacts (15)

Batterskull

Avarice Amulet

Bonehoard

Assault Suit

Spear of Heliod

Hammer of Purphoros

Sunforger

Sword of Feast and Famine

Lightning Greaves

Sword of the Animist

Vorrac Battlehorns

Mind Stone

Skullclamp

Infiltration Lens

Sol Ring

Sorcery (1)

Waves of Aggression

Instant (5)

Return to Dust

Starstorm

Boros Charm

Final Fortune

Swords to Plowshares

Lands (36)

Evolving Wilds

Terramorphic Expanse

Command Tower

Boros Guildgate

Boros Garrison

Sacred Foundry

Wind-Scarred Crag

Temple of Triumph

Clifftop Retreat

Battlefield Forge

Ancient Amphitheater

Opal Palace

Smoldering Crater

Forgotten Cave

Smoldering Spires

Flamekin Village

Spinerock Knoll

Windbrisk Heights

Mistveil Plains

Emeria, the Sky Ruin

Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion

Slayers' Stronghold

Temple of the False God

Reliquary Tower

Mountain x4

Plains x8

Curious how you built it and if you have more of a focus on abusing the landfall for token strategies or on the tribal synergy. Both is also an option. 

I threw in some stuff like Coat of Arms and Shared Animosity, but other than that a lot of landfall, Titania, and sac outlet shenanigans.

Elemental Mastery, best card with Goblin Bombardment out. 

Finally have Hanna mostly finished so I just put in some stand in cards I had considered at an early point and got to play a few games. Really happy with how it came out. I differently overestimated how easy it would be to get up an enchantment wall so having Gideon draw hate when I didn't have any was awesome. Especially since him doubling as removal is the real deal. Rest In Peace is weird since while it does turn off Hanna it screws over so many other decks so much harder that it more than makes up for it. The one thing I felt like I was really missing was a more definitive way to close out the game. Also wanted a couple more wraths and more counters to protect my enchantments. Regardless the deck was a blast to play and I'm looking forward to getting a few more games in with the deck before it just becomes part of my ever going line up of options (Hanna is my 7th and I have 2 more in the works, though both are far from finished).

Finally have Hanna mostly finished so I just put in some stand in cards I had considered at an early point and got to play a few games. Really happy with how it came out. I differently overestimated how easy it would be to get up an enchantment wall so having Gideon draw hate when I didn't have any was awesome. Especially since him doubling as removal is the real deal. Rest In Peace is weird since while it does turn off Hanna it screws over so many other decks so much harder that it more than makes up for it. The one thing I felt like I was really missing was a more definitive way to close out the game. Also wanted a couple more wraths and more counters to protect my enchantments. Regardless the deck was a blast to play and I'm looking forward to getting a few more games in with the deck before it just becomes part of my ever going line up of options (Hanna is my 7th and I have 2 more in the works, though both are far from finished).

Decklist? I don't recall you posting one.

Stuff I'd cut:

Viral Drake: Infect in EDH is bad outside of Blightsteel. I also don't see enough that meaningfully interacts with proliferate to warrant the spot.

Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Not a big-enough effect to warrant inclusion, imho.

Overwhelming Intellect: I just wouldn't like holding up that much mana for a counter. Your results may vary.

Remote Sandbar: Cut for Secluded Steppe.

Emeria, the Sky Ruin: How reliably will this trigger with only 9 Plains in your deck?

You also have very few sources of ramp, once again. Throw in some mana rocks: they'll do work. Azorius Signet, Commander's Sphere, etc.

Stuff I'd cut:

Viral Drake: Infect in EDH is bad outside of Blightsteel. I also don't see enough that meaningfully interacts with proliferate to warrant the spot.

Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Not a big-enough effect to warrant inclusion, imho.

Overwhelming Intellect: I just wouldn't like holding up that much mana for a counter. Your results may vary.

Remote Sandbar: Cut for Secluded Steppe.

Emeria, the Sky Ruin: How reliably will this trigger with only 9 Plains in your deck?

You also have very few sources of ramp, once again. Throw in some mana rocks: they'll do work. Azorius Signet, Commander's Sphere, etc.

I've been considering cutting Drake and Ojutai already. Intellect can do good work, but I agree holding up 6 is a lot. Though the major thing that makes me dislike it is missing non creatures. After playing a little with it these were all cards I was considering cutting.

I wanted more blue sources which is why I have both blue cycle lands and no white. I actually have 11. 8 basics, 2 duels, and Mistveil. In addition I have 4 ways to fetch plains. Its still hard yes, but I figure its free enough to play and while it did bias me a bit towards white mana, the deck wants more white than blue anyway.

I think the reason most my decks are so light on ramp is because my play group is light on ramp so I never have a need to. I wouldn't mind another piece or two though since the deck is pretty mana intensive.

Hey everyone. Saw this was a thing and decided I would join, as EDH is the only MtG format I actually play. I have been playing since sometime between Theros and Born of the Gods, I think since January of last year. Here is a link to a TappedOut folder with all the decks I play currently:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-deck-folders/currently-played-1/

Anax and Cymede- Boros general with a focus on using Anax and Cymede's Heroic ability to buff my entire board to go in for a crapload of damage. Needs a bit of an update, to be honest, especially in the form of more creature generation, token or otherwise. Basically assemble a ton of Heroic triggers, like Titan's Strength and Martial Glory, while you assemble the legion with a bunch of creatures and anthem effects.

Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge- Grixis spellslinger, and easily the deck with the largest element of risk and fun due to her somewhat random nature and potential aggro-drawing ability. Uses a couple wincons like Consuming Aberration mass mill and Repurcussion mixed with a damage-dealing boardwipe. All while jeleva can exile opponent resources and cast the best spells in Black, Red, and Blue for nothing.

Skullbriar, the Walking Grave- Another pure aggros in Golgari colors. Cast Skullbriar and swing a lot. Scary but a little boring, I'm considering changing it over to Jarad or maybe one of the commanders in the new set of decks coming out.

Yasova Dragonclaw- Temur stealing. Seeks to take opponent cards and take advantage of them before sacking them off. You may have noticed by now I gravitate towards playstyles that draw A LOT of hate (bit of a weakness of mine). Lot of sac outlets here like Ashnod's Altar and Birthing Pod with anything that can help steal things, mixed with a little Temur goodstuff.

Comments and suggestions on any of these would be swell, if you like. I generally hover in a budget area of using very few cards that cost more than five dollars, barring a few things. I go up against a variety of decks in my playgroup, though right now I'm in a league using Yasova against guys that are using Nath, Alesha, Prossh, Animar, Niv-Mizzet, and Ruric Thar, with the Prossh probably being my toughest matchup since he has all the sac outlets in the world to just sac off anything I want to take.

Looking forward to the Commander decks this year, myself, especially Ezuri (there I go again, picking the one that will get everyone gunning for me...)

Archived