The Command Tower (EDH Hangout)

bury the year

usually Insurrection, no one ever prepares for it and for some god forsaken reason my playgroup never tries to counter it. Then they complain when they lose instantly to it.

For maximum stupid, I like my Enchanted Evening+aura thief combo I use in my Derevi Enchantress deck.

Insurrection is really hard to play around and unless you have a way to eat your team you can't do much to protect yourself.

As for stupid cards, Genesis Wave is always fun.

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Resolving Defense of the Heart is so much fun in Pharika. I don't have any auto-win combos of creatures to bring out, but Massacre Wurm + Sangromancer tends to swing the game pretty far in my favor.

Insurrection is really hard to play around and unless you have a way to eat your team you can't do much to protect yourself.

As for stupid cards, Genesis Wave is always fun.

And its brother, Nemesis Wave Villainous Wealth.

My favorite spell I've ever cast in EDH has a stupidly funny story both Krein and Rinne can attest to.

Devout-Invocation-M14-Visual-Spoiler.jpg

So it was a 3-player game with myself, Rinne, and Krein.  I'd been spending a bit of time setting up some tokens and happened to have Parallel Lives up at this point.  When the time to cast this came, I was able to tap five creatures.  Suddenly, ten 4/4 flying tokens and I gained 40 life since I had Trostani up.  Shortly afterwards, both Krein and Rinne quit for differing reasons.

So it was a 3-player game with myself, Rinne, and Krein.  I'd been spending a bit of time setting up some tokens and happened to have Parallel Lives up at this point.  When the time to cast this came, I was able to tap five creatures.  Suddenly, ten 4/4 flying tokens and I gained 40 life since I had Trostani up.  Shortly afterwards, both Krein and Rinne quit for differing reasons.

My favorite spell I've ever cast in EDH has a stupidly funny story both Krein and Rinne can attest to.

I quit because when I say, "Krein, don't attack me and I can take Yui down and save us both," that doesn't mean, "Krein, by all means attack me and throw the game." >__>

Teferi's Puzzle Box.

Mainly because I run Nekusar, also because I sing a little bit of Dick in a Box when I resolve it.

Because seriously, it's a pretty significant dicking when it goes around.

I was playing my zedruu deck when I had a puzzle box and 3 copies of it due to various effects, I also had Tomorrow out, people were pretty salty that my draw step took 10 minutes. I know I could of shortcutted all the triggers but I was being a dick because I didn't like anyone who was In that pod lol.

My favorite spell I've ever cast would have to be a very, very late-game Rise of the Dark Realms while playing against Derevi, Borborygmos, and Nekusar as Doran. I got lucky in that neither of the two blue players countered it, and I got a ton of cool stuff that I used to win the game, including Zhur-taa Ancient and Dragon Mage.

*re-engages lurk mode*

Been doing a lot of work on Damia lately, and now that my playgroup has a 100% Sisay deck (holy sheet this is scary) I need to up my answers to early game. 

What are everyone's favorite answers to noncreature permanents? Does naturalize cut it in your playgroups? What do you use to stop early ramp?

I believe a popular answer is Terastodon. For something less rude, Rain of Thorns. Outside Green: Nicol Bolas.

Against early ramp, there isn't much that can be done other than the rest of the table ganging up on the player who's had that explosive Sol Ring start. Or for another player who's also ramping early to clash for dominance and buy others some reprieve to catch up.

For non-creature permeants the bulk of the best cards are either Green or White. Trygon Predator is a personal favorite and only asks for help getting in. Austere Command and Merciless Eviction are both good options since they can also kill creatures if you need it. Ashen Rider, Angle of Despair, and O-Ring are good catch alls.

Its a decently easy to miss card being pretty old and being uncommon less people will come across it while searching since I imagine people bias towards rare figuring they'll be stronger. Which is fair a lot of the time, but some pretty innocuous looking cards can be very good in command. Like my friend added Suture Priest into his Teysa deck and its been SUPER impressive.

Considering I cube weekly, forgetting Trygon Predator is honestly a damnable offense.

Speaking of which, I really wish damnation was more affordable.

Gonna be getting an Azusa in a trade soon, and will tech her in Damia (the two have a crazy synergy). Around what land count sounds optimal including her? I can search her several ways so she is going to be very accessible, despite being in the 99.

Considering I cube weekly, forgetting Trygon Predator is honestly a damnable offense.

Speaking of which, I really wish damnation was more affordable.

Gonna be getting an Azusa in a trade soon, and will tech her in Damia (the two have a crazy synergy). Around what land count sounds optimal including her? I can search her several ways so she is going to be very accessible, despite being in the 99.

Damnation really is much to expensive. Hopefully will be reprinted one of these days. I mean, everyone is begging for it.

How many lands is even right in general? I play 36 lands in all my command decks but recently feel like thats a little on the light side since I don't play a ton of ramp. A deck with Azusa I would imagine would want to have a couple extra effect lands to give you more stuff to play off her and still have extra effects that can help.

Yes, Gaddock is one of the most ridiculous cards in EDH, especially since in Multiplayer you will have very few spot removal spells.

Terrifying.

Good thing most of my spot removal spells come stabled onto a creature. Spot removal that gets played in command either comes with a creature (Angel of Despair), is reusable (planeswalkers), can get anything (O-Ring), or is super cheap (Swords to Plowshares).

So, here I am just being rather annoyed that my Thassa Sea Creatures deck can't use Kiora without needing to add a little green.

Looking though all the UG legendary creatures and there's little that thematically fits with "Summon Bigger Fish".

Momir Vig, Simic Vsionary. His life's ambition was making the perfect lifeform.

Archived